• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
If some people really don;t want to get this, for it's color splash esqueness then you better get bug fables.

I'll be cautiously optimistic and await reviews and more gameplay video before making a decision, so far only the beautiful visuals have me enthralled, but CS was beautiful too.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happened with metroid fans too. People called the metroid fambase toxic and awful for not liking what was happening with the series. Toxic and being obnoxious should be saved for actual toxic fans.
Some Metroid fans were absolutely toxic at the announcement of Federation Force.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is this like a budget title ? Or maybe that's not the right word here but length and content wise should I be expecting something along the lines of PPTTYD or sticker star ?

Cause I'll buy this in a damn nanosecond if it's good.

Ya know what nobody here knows I'm just asking these questions for myself lol basically I'm cautiously hyped

IS likely has been working on this for a while, to the point that Three Houses was mostly outsourced, so this should be a fully featured game.

If some people really don;t want to get this, for it's color splash esqueness then you better get bug fables.

I just don't care for the style of bug fables' designs at all. If you were going to make a Paper Mario rip-off just make a complete rip-off rather than trying to hide behind some odd aesthetics.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I remain skeptical. It looks visually interesting but the homogenization of Mario's world (generic NPCs) and boring story setup aren't encouraging. Not convinced about the battle system either.

I certainly wouldn't call this a return to form.

Sails

Oct 27, 2017
People keep repeating this line and like, it's extremely silly to think that Nintendo's internal dev teams treat Miyamoto's suggestions as fiat, or that he's the one accountable for this direction.
The credits for Color Splash:
Supervisors
  • Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Takashi Tezuka
Shigeru is one of two supervisors, of course anything they say is going to be fiat.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they've got the same composer team as last time, Colour Splash Colour SLAPS

a372d7c8d2f462eaef57590e1dbdb22b.gif

In fact I still remember not having this game on my radar at all until Nabbit shared a pre-release drop of Sunglow Ridge's music on me

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sOkIkQG.jpg

This looks very modern and gives me Glitz Pit vibes, which was great. I'm guessing there'll be an entire chapter dedicated to putting on a parade or theater performance and that's amazing in concept.

Oh my now that you mention it, it really does have Glitz Pit vibes. Please don't do this to me. In the end it may be just a small part of a different level or something. But that idea would be amazing.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
When has that ever been true of Mario spin offs. Waluigi says hi.

I mean, I'm not here whining about generic characters, but none of what you said has ever applied to this series.
Can you provide some recent examples of Mario spin-offs introducing lots of new character designs? This seems like a more recent policy, Wii U on-ish. I am definitely interested if there are examples--this seems to be a trend from what I've noticed, which would match with Nintendo pushing the Mario brand in several areas (theme parks, films, etc.).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So

Is this like a budget title ? Or maybe that's not the right word here but length and content wise should I be expecting something along the lines of PPTTYD or sticker star ?

Cause I'll buy this in a damn nanosecond if it's good.

Ya know what nobody here knows I'm just asking these questions for myself lol basically I'm cautiously hyped

This has been IS main project for a good number of years: they only have two major franchises, and they outsourced Fire Emblem Three houses, so the sensible conclusion is they were working on this instead.

Oct 25, 2017
People here now cry because BOTW is not a traditional Zelda and Odyssey is not like Galaxy.

So...

Yeah, now a minority of fans complain. After changing it up. Also, those games have entered a new stratosphere of sales because they listened to the bulk of the fanbase.

Paper Mario has not been a traditional turn-based rpg for four games in a row, increasingly frustrating fans. Nintendo isn't full of stupid people. They know what fans want regarding this series and they have an obvious reference point in TTYD, but they just aren't executing on this information for whatever reason.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
looking gorgeous, I have 100% faith they have learned their lessons and this will be nothing like color splash or sticker star and will be back to their original superior forms

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
IS have not earned the benefit of the doubt after the last two games. It does look beautiful, but no trailer was going to convince me that the gameplay is good.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I'm also a bit trepidatious after the more recent offerings from Paper Mario - but having RPG battles is a really good start! Plus that trailer had such a strangely grim tone that there's a zero percent chance I'm not picking it up at launch lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Color Splash was an extremely charming game with some great writing to its name, and a fairly mediocre combat system.

Literally all Origami King needs to do is improve on that game's strengths and overhaul its combat system. It already looks to be doing the first part, while it's doing at least something in regards to the latter. Who knows if those changes will be good, but if they are, I really won't care if this is more or less like TTYD or not. It's already taking at least some pointers from it. Not having unique party member designs? Kind of unfortunate, but in the context of this game I really don't think that'll mean much for the experience, the game is billing itself pretty heavily on Mario having to team up with Bowser's entire army, so having standard goons makes sense when taken as a whole, and the writing doesn't look like a slouch either. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that the trailer is very story heavy.

The game looks promising, I just hope it sticks the landing.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope IG have looked to what people loved about the franchises because this looks stunning!

I wanna believe!

Oct 25, 2017
You know, at least with the last two games, I always said "At least Mario and Luigi is there for me"

Now I can't say that anymore and that kind of stinks, I mean this might be fun for being it's own thing, but Sticker Star left such a horrible taste in my mouth that I just can't see myself getting this and would just rather watch someone stream it.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Disliking something and being pessimistic or wanting something other than what was shown apparently means you're part of an "obnoxious fanbase" that "should be ignored".

I'm not bothered by the people who are happy with this announcement, but a lot of people who are happy with this announcement sure seem bothered by the fact that I'm not.

This trend of scrutinizing other people's opinions and expectations in reveal threads really needs to go.

The game looks cool, but it's not what I thought of when I heard a "traditional Paper Mario game" was coming. It's a bummer.

You didn't do your best to improve this thread either.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly a July release for this slots perfectly in to my summer. Gives me plenty of time to work through XC:DE

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
There is something funny about people questioning Super Mario/Nintendo key staff like Koizumi and Tezuka not being under the same strict restrictions as the developers that make the Mario spin off titles

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also a bit trepidatious after the more recent offerings from Paper Mario - but having RPG battles is a really good start! Plus that trailer had such a strangely grim tone that there's a zero percent chance I'm not picking it up at launch lol

Gonna be honest lads, why are a bunch of people saying "it has RPG battles!" in the same breath as saying "I'm worried about it being like the previous two games"?

To me, those battles don't look in any obvious meaningful way different to what was in Sticker star and colour splash so far. Beyond whatever the ring thing is, anyway.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
And we are back at the "Miyamoto ruined PM" shit. When every choice about that game was made by the developers, when the characters were the last of the problems... Wow. I gues we call out that man only when a game is bad? So Odissey having more story than all main Mario games combined doesn't count?
This will be fun. It's clear as day that Origami King will be pretty cool, so coming back to this thread in 4 months is a must.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has no skin in the game(I don't care for the franchise)... you don't have to automatically like the game but maybe give it a chance first?

What's the point in whinging?

Just because it's not TTYD2 doesn't mean it can't be good.

Apr 21, 2018
Gonna be honest lads, why are a bunch of people saying "it has RPG battles!" in the same breath as saying "I'm worried about it being like the previous two games"?

To me, those battles don't look in any obvious meaningful way different to what was in Sticker star and colour splash so far. Beyond whatever the ring thing is, anyway.

The big thing for me is whether or not when I use a special move, it goes away. Like I'm using a card or sticker. I hated that.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Btw. am i the only one that asks himself what would happen if the player would answer Origami-Peachs question in the beginning of the trailer with "Yes"? ^^
Wouldn't put it past the game to give a non standard game over.
Super Paper Mario does this multiple times, there's one near the start where you can shun the call of adventure and near the end you can choose to accept the "help" of the blatant Starscream villain after multiple warnings from the game.

Oh and of course TTYD has the train section with the Ghost Toad's diary/letter (it's been a while, I forget) that will kill you if you repeatedly ignore the request to not read it yourself.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has no skin in the game(I don't care for the franchise)... you don't have to automatically like the game but maybe give it a chance first?

What's the point in whinging?

Just because it's not TTYD2 doesn't mean it can't be good.
People said to give the last two a chance. And this trailer gives all the same warning signs.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Can you provide some recent examples of Mario spin-offs introducing lots of new character designs? This seems like a more recent policy, Wii U on-ish. I am definitely interested if there are examples--this seems to be a trend from what I've noticed, which would match with Nintendo pushing the Mario brand in several areas (theme parks, films, etc.).

The Mario movie is gonna be such a snooze-fest lmao

Illumination + obvious strict mandates from Nintendo/Miyamoto = boring

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I won't have the "only use character from the mainline Mario games" reason excuse them from just putting toads. If that really was the reason, that meant that Sticker Star and CS could've had Piantas, Lumas, Star bunnies, Bob-omb buddies. And this game could've had some of the, like, 10 new NPC species Odyssey had.

Though we don't know much about this games' NPCs yet so we'll see

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020

I'll be cautiously optimistic and await reviews and more gameplay video before making a decision, so far only the beautiful visuals have me enthralled, but CS was beautiful too.
I've skipped the WiiU and haven't really looked into, but what was the problem with CS?

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

You mean aside from every action in a battle seemingly not being a consumable.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Paper Mario got outsourced to Vanpool with Sticker Star. The director of Sticker Star worked on Super Mario RPG in their days at SquareSoft, but they turned Paper Mario into something way different than the RPGs.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to this and hoping this announcement means news of the Mario remasters will come sooner rather than later. Also they better not just be teasing me with that Metroid helmet at the end.