• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I just noticed enemies are still back to dropping coins and there not being an EXP meter.

That worries me. Unless coins are made to be a more important resource now that it doesn't look like we're getting expendable attacks anymore, what's going to be the incentive to do battles? Even Color Splash incentivized battles somewhat by making you increase your color meter (as cheap as that was).

They need to make sure that battles give substantial rewards. That is mandatory. If they fuck that up again then they have learned nothing from their past mistakes...

I am cautiously optimistic. We will have to see.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I was in right in the beginning with that weird, creepy ass Peach origami asking Mario to join her. Then I wasn't so sure later on, the trailer on the first watch is rather chaotic (since Paper Mario games without context are ultra nuts), and all I could think of was "this is not a return to form, this looks dope but I know those rumors were some kind of monkey paw", but looking at the ~50 screenshots that got released, I'm in.
This seems ambitious af. Huge areas, seems totally wild and weird as fuck, and while I'm unsure on those partners (I don't know yet if they are real combat partners, and if they stick with you once their arc is done), I want to play it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They should not be aiming to reproduce PM:tTYD (which is one of my favorite game ever) but try to establish a new reference point.

This game has the potential of doing so.

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks okay, but I have no idea why they insist on trying to fix Sticker Star instead of just giving everyone what they want. It worked for Zelda and 3D Mario.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why are they so determined to use stock mario character designs? Is this like corporate policy
or something? Looks like color splash.

I'm pretty sure it is a corporate policy. It's more noticeable in Paper Mario since it relied more on modifying generic Mario designs for various npcs, but all outsourced spin-offs have been similarly restrained for a while.

The only new Mario & Luigi that we got with development starting during these later years was the Paper Mario crossover, which also only had generic characters. And the extra stories added to the remakes also mostly added standard Mario enemies (with only a couple of original antagonists in the last one).

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Wow, that's a quick announce to release, I'm stoked for this. Played the N64 game and whatever the Paper Mario game was on the Wii (wasn't really the same RPG style as the first two games, but was still pretty good).

Pumped for this, I am always down for another Mario RPG style game. Now give me Super Mario RPG 2!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, nothing about your quoted post proves that that user wants a carbon copy of TTYD. They may want that, but that's not guaranteed from what they posted. They're just as likely to want a game that feels like a proper sequel to TTYD, i.e. a game that takes what that game did very well, and improves upon everything else.
It's wrong to want sequel that are similar, but improve on things and don't change everything.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I have zero faith whatsoever for this combat system not to be utter shit. Just bring back partners goddamnit and make battles mean something.

At least Bowser isn't the villain

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How fucking hard is it to just make TTYD2.

This looks like more trash.
Trash?

Paper-Mario-The-Origami-King_2020_05-14-20_019.jpg

Heck are you smoking?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This - if they just retained a permanent progression system and permanent, unique combat partners, I would happily embrace any major innovations they brought into the series (like ring based puzzle combat).
Yeah. I just want battles to feel like they actually have a purpose again. Lack of progression systems just ruined my enjoyment of the last two entries.
At least Super Paper Mario forgoes a transitioning battle system in favor of a stricter adventure focus.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NoE says Action RPG? Well, Japan Era, since this will be the correct one, could you go and check?

No problem, Nintendo doesn't need half a year for a new trailer or other ways of providing infos.
You're right, I'm just saying that isn't a good comparison. We didn't wait until two months before release to get Death Stranding Gameplay.

Sails

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is depressing. Game looks fantastic in a unique direction but because it's not a carbone copy of what people wanted it to be, it's tiring to read impressions here. Not even worries about parts of the trailer that would have been lackluster but about what some people wish it was.
Nobody wants a carbon copy, they want it to adhere to what makes the genre interesting. Imagine if Final Fantasy 16 came out starring a silent Noctis with generic teammate characters like Cactuar, Bomb, and Slime, but they never stick around or have any interesting story importance. Now imagine the battle system was just manipulable hop-scotch, the antagonists are shadow versions of the main characters, the item system is severely gutted, and every side-quest or NPC involves a generic talking Moogle.

That would be a boring FF RPG.
That would be a boring Mario RPG.
Paper Mario is a series that is expected to be a Mario RPG.
Origami King, with everything we've learned from the game so far and based on what we've seen of the previous titles, looks like a boring RPG.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
No, but they added in tons of new types of characters and enemies.
I think something else to keep in mind, outside of the Odyssey team being very influential and high-powered in the company, is that the 3D Mario games are mainline titles, not spinoffs. Thus, new designs make sense to appear in these games. Sunshine had Pinatas, Galaxy had lumas, etc.

The spin-off titles don't have the same broad appeal and from a corporate standpoint it probably doesn't make sense to push new designs there.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Disliking something and being pessimistic or wanting something other than what was shown apparently means you're part of an "obnoxious fanbase" that "should be ignored".

I'm not bothered by the people who are happy with this announcement, but a lot of people who are happy with this announcement sure seem bothered by the fact that I'm not.

This trend of scrutinizing other people's opinions and expectations in reveal threads really needs to go.

The game looks cool, but it's not what I thought of when I heard a "traditional Paper Mario game" was coming. It's a bummer.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For a bit of positivity, here are some things I'm hyped about -

zyLC1Dj.jpg

It looks like Toad Town is the hub again, what with the path leading to the north east, the cable car, and the pier, plus the southern exit which looks very Mario Galaxy 1.

KrHyrDt.jpg

This whole bit looks very Super Mario RPG

fdkcv14.jpg

The trees have eyes, I missed the days of Double Dash when everything in the Mario universe had eyeballs. Also treasure chests are neat.

KLeqP6m.png

Bowser Jr. seems cute and silly, and also I've wanted a Magikoopa buddy in a Mario game for years.

NGL941W.png

7QUN4ZK.png

The open nature of these areas is super exciting, and the art direction of the desert is subblime.

tJGEm2e.jpg

I assume this is the fast travel zone under Toad Town, which is way better than a world map.

sOkIkQG.jpg

This looks very modern and gives me Glitz Pit vibes, which was great. I'm guessing there'll be an entire chapter dedicated to putting on a parade or theater performance and that's amazing in concept.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Trash?

Paper-Mario-The-Origami-King_2020_05-14-20_019.jpg

Heck are you smoking?
Consider for a moment that by "looks like trash" they're not talking specifically about the way the game looks (i.e. the visuals)

Disliking something and being pessimistic or wanting something other than what was shown apparently means you're part of an "obnoxious fanbase" that "should be ignored".

I'm not bothered by the people who are happy with this announcement, but a lot of people who are happy with this announcement sure seem bothered by the fact that I'm not.

This trend of scrutinizing other people's opinions and expectations in reveal threads really needs to go.

The game looks cool, but it's not what I thought of when I heard a "traditional Paper Mario game" was coming. It's a bummer.
Well said

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Looks great, and I'm glad to have a summer game to play. Between this and Clubhouse games, I'm set until fall.

Apr 21, 2018
It looks great but really comes down to the battle system for me. I hope there are no cards or stickers to use in battle that go away once used, that's kind of the make-or-break for me. Would much prefer an MP-style approach where I don't have to worry about losing moves forever or needing to save them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

This is what happened with metroid fans too. People called the metroid fambase toxic and awful for not liking what was happening with the series. Toxic and being obnoxious should be saved for actual toxic fans.

Oct 25, 2017
I think something else to keep in mind, outside of the Odyssey team being very influential and high-powered in the company, is that the 3D Mario games are mainline titles, not spinoffs. Thus, new designs make sense to appear in these games. Sunshine had Pinatas, Galaxy had lumas, etc.

The spin-off titles don't have the same broad appeal and from a corporate standpoint it probably doesn't make sense to push new designs there.
When has that ever been true of Mario spin offs. Waluigi says hi.

I mean, I'm not here whining about generic characters, but none of what you said has ever applied to this series.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
You know, if I really had to bitch about the good old times, I'd say I miss the actual new characters and designs more than the unique partners. But the game just looks fucking incredible. I liked Color Splash a lot, this looks much better, more inspired, so I'm 100% in.
Hoping for more quircky music.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer was definitely good, the environements, music, scenes, and traversal looked good.
battles could be good, but we didn't see much.
I'm most likely getting the game unless things change

there's just several pitfalls we've seen before that are causing cautiousness. And those ended up coming true in SS and CS, even when people thought otherwise

the takes saying this is the worst thing ever, or that this is some huge revelation aren't worth reading.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Odyssey just went back to the style of the first two 3d mario games.

Where did I say franchises can't ever take inspiration from their roots? Of course they can, but calling the game "utter trash" and completely writing this off because it doesn't have every single specific feature that apparently "makes Paper Mario," for your specific demographic is not the same. There's also the fact that 'Mainline Mario' is in a different league of sales figures when compared to 'Mario RPG' games.

Hell, Super Mario Odyssey itself removed and changed a whole bunch of core fundamental concepts from 64 and Sunshine (the lack of a hub world, the decreased focus on pure platforming in favour of puzzle mechanics, the shift from a small amount of sectioned-off objectives to tens of smaller Moons per level), it wasn't as similar to 64 and Sunshine as people want Paper Mario to be to 64 and TTYD.

PM was a rpg in color splash and sticker star.
So not 16 years.
It was a just a bad one.

Those two games would've been better if there weren't battles and you had unique interactions to kill enemies on the overworld with new abilities.
but no, those were rpg butt rpgs. Very basic ones

This is overly pedantic. It's clear what I meant, but if you really want I can edit it to say "traditional RPGs" or something.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Game don't even got a preview so how tf do you know it is "settling for mediocrity"
I was calling the last 2 games mediocre, but admittedly I did not specify so it was left to interpretation to assume I'm one of the morons already passing blanket judgement on this game. So that's on me.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
The infamous Sticker Star interview with Iwata said that Miyamoto wanted everything removed from Paper Mario that wasn't in the 2D games. So yes. You can see that with several Mario spinoffs after the success of New Mario Bros., constantly removing previously unique characters and designs in favor of homogenizing all games with the generic stock designs (for both characters and worlds). I thought Odyssey would have ended that era finally, but I guess not.

So can we blame Miyamato for making Paper Mario generic? Because all those amazing unique characters are what made Paper Mario and TTYD so special.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
what if they removed the exp system and included it in an all around 'souls' system with the coins? where you 'buy' your upgrades (weapon/skills/hp) with some weird wacko npc at some toad hub? much like firelink shrine in dks3, this would work very well

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
this seem really fun, but not quite the return to form that we have previously been "insided" with, imo
July is becoming a nice month for Nintendo. Last year we had FE3H, this year Paper Mario.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For a bit of positivity, here are some things I'm hyped about -

sOkIkQG.jpg

This looks very modern and gives me Glitz Pit vibes, which was great. I'm guessing there'll be an entire chapter dedicated to putting on a parade or theater performance and that's amazing in concept.

I think this is actually from the beginning of the game. We see that Goomba head in another scene, and the bob-omb also seems to be a fairly early partner.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
This is what happened with metroid fans too. People called the metroid fambase toxic and awful for not liking what was happening with the series. Toxic and being obnoxious should be saved for actual toxic fans.

Please only be positive about this advertisment and don't ask questions or you're a monster.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So

Is this like a budget title ? Or maybe that's not the right word here but length and content wise should I be expecting something along the lines of PPTTYD or sticker star ?

Cause I'll buy this in a damn nanosecond if it's good.

Ya know what nobody here knows I'm just asking these questions for myself lol basically I'm cautiously hyped

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
The infamous Sticker Star interview with Iwata said that Miyamoto wanted everything removed from Paper Mario that wasn't in the 2D games. So yes. You can see that with several Mario spinoffs after the success of New Mario Bros., constantly removing previously unique characters and designs in favor of homogenizing all games with the generic stock designs (for both characters and worlds). I thought Odyssey would have ended that era finally, but I guess not.

People keep repeating this line and like, it's extremely silly to think that Nintendo's internal dev teams treat Miyamoto's suggestions as fiat, or that he's the one accountable for this direction.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
what if they removed the exp system and included it in an all around 'souls' system with the coins? where you 'buy' your upgrades (weapon/skills/hp) with some weird wacko npc at some toad hub? much like firelink shrine in dks3, this would work very well
I'd be into that.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Btw. am i the only one that asks himself what would happen if the player would answer Origami-Peachs question in the beginning of the trailer with "Yes"? ^^