• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this makes it OK then. Yep. No reason to want a sequel to TTYD at all.

Especially now when there isn't even a alternative with the Mario & Luigi games.
I'm just saying that PM is not an RPG series if you're purely looking at the installment, whatever else you're saying is your own illogical and ragey conclusion that I have made no comment on.

Sad.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Impossible. Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door is the only good Video Game
This is disingenuous; people want the originals because the last few titles have fundamental gameplay issues that don't justify IS branching out and experimenting. Super Paper Mario was different and not everyone liked it but it had solid gameplay, it wasn't continuously bashed.

In any case, has any Nintendo development team (1st or 2nd party) actually designed a game based on feedback? As in the DNA was completely designed based on it? I've always had the impression that they do whatever they want, Color Splash sold really damn bad even for being on Wii U and it being on its last legs, if that only got them to make VERY minor changes to the New Paper Mario formula I wouldn't get my hopes up. We might be seeing these generic enemies as some sort of branding guideline for the Mario World that Alpha Dream didn't have as much pressure to follow.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
it's really only era tho, game's being incredibly well received on normal parts of the internet

and for good reason, it looks *marvelous*

The RPG entries have had the highest review scores, while the non-RPG entries generally score the lowest, and have been trending downwards.

People reacting positively when they haven't even played it isn't a refutation of people being disappointed in the series once again ignoring what made people interested in it in the first place.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Wait, what the hell, y'all don't like this?

Alright, I'm out.
I'm but one soul, however I'm super excited for this!!!!! And tbh I'm not too keen on Sticker or Color. I love, love , LOVE 64 and Thousand but can accept Origami isn't going to fall in line with those. It can still be an incredibly fun and charming game. Very hyped to get a new Paper Mario so soon!!!!!

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Oh has that not been posted yet?

Let's fix that.
29c.jpg
Yep. Happening in this very thread.
Wait, what the hell, y'all don't like this?

Alright, I'm out.
I know. I'm just absolutely amazed.
If you all want to miss this because it isn't an RPG like the first 2 games, again, that's your loss.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Yes, people want an EXACT repeat of TTYD, they don't want an evolution of that battle system. It isn't like the series hasn't been that way for like 15 years or something so fans have a right to be pessimistic, people just want it to be the exact same as TTYD, right.
I just want RPG progression (leveling up, increasing abilities, etc.) and having a party that grows throughout the adventure, with good combat. It doesn't have to be perfect turn-based, but it needs to be good, and strategic.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I can confirm. On the French Eshop it's "Aventure/Jeu de rôles" (Adventure/RPG)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
An 'RPG series' that had more non-RPG installments than RPG installements?

64: RPG with platforming elements
TTYD RPG with platforming elements
SPM: Platformer with RPG elements
SS: Action Adventure
CS: Action Adventure
OK: Action Adventure

So half the titles are rpgs or have rpg mechanics and half of them don't. The series started as a sequel to Super Mario RPG so I think most people have historically viewed it as an RPG series. I blame Nintendo for deciding they only needed one Mario RPG series and sticking with the worse series (M&L) then driving it into the ground.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Ironically, for all the discussion of people wanting to "return to the RPG roots" of the first two games, the best selling games in the Paper Mario series are Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star

Neither of which are traditional "classic" Paper Marios

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
You have an origami fairy thing with you all the time by the look of it
That's my point. To answer the other poster's question, Mario needs a helper/fairy character because there are no longer characters who will consistently be in his party throughout the entire game (partners) and he can't talk. Kersti, Huey, Olivia, (and Starlow for the M&L)

Ironically, for all the discussion of people wanting to "return to the RPG roots" of the first two games, the best selling games in the Paper Mario series are Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star

Neither of which are traditional "classic" Paper Marios

The worst selling one was Color Splash, being the only game not to cross a million while being what some would say an improvement on Sticker Star.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
i actually really like this. Tippi was a great character in SPM, and now with what actually looks to be a new villain, we can hopefully get similar character development since she is the brother of the main antagonist (like how Tippi used to be Bleck's wife)
spm had a good story.
we'll see about this one. But you don't need the helper trope if you have partners.
It's probably going to retread the same partner things we've done for years.

that's why people wanted permanent partners from unique races, species backgrounds. That grow and change throughout the game.
good sister of evil guy isn't that interesting. Something like Vivian was.
We'll see though, but I'm not expecting SPM type of story.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to be as disappointing as all the other post-TTYD games. Pre-ordering this would be mad, definitely waiting for impressions first.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, I'd love to play Superstar Saga and Thousand Year Door on my Switch to prepare for this. Yet, somehow, three years in to the Switch's lifespan, the best way to play these games is on my iPad...

Nintendo is so strange, man.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Okay so i'm pretty excited for this, i only played the first Paper Mario and i really enjoyed it. SS didn't interest me and i watched CS in LP on Youtube and it was pretty good tbh. The combat system wasn't the greatest but the game overall seemed enjoyable, just didn't care about the Wii U when it came out.

This one look polished and amazing. The story line is pretty interesting and environnements looks GREAT. Sure y'all can pin point random stuff like "partners in battle and xp meter ONLY" and don't buy the game if only those 2 things are absent but literally i found the XP meter in the first one atleast, not that useful.. it was it's not like you had to farm and buff yourself up for a boss battle.. you just go through the adventure and can skip a number of battles and just make it straight to the end.

The battle here seems pretty similar to the first one but with a ring system. Not really sure how it will go but but i don't mind having something new. The time limit worries me a little hopefully you can still think of your strategy a little before attacking.

But to me, even in the first game the battle system was a bit tiring towards the end of the game. It was pretty slow at times too. What i loved about it was the story line and the exploration in general which seems to be incredible here. So i'm pretty excited about the game. If you want a game exactly like TTYD just go play it... i will play it eventually and i'm sure it's great but damn, it's not like it aged badly, just go back. It would be pretty uninteresting if they just made a game too similar to that one imo. Love that they are changing some things.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Very good Nintendo.

Now do the same thing with BOTW 2. Release a new trailer on August and set the game to October.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
64: RPG with platforming elements
TTYD RPG with platforming elements
SPM: Platformer with RPG elements
SS: Action Adventure
CS: Action Adventure
OK: Action Adventure

So half the titles are rpgs or have rpg mechanics and half of them don't. The series started as a sequel to Super Mario RPG so I think most people have historically viewed it as an RPG series. I blame Nintendo for deciding they only needed one Mario RPG series and sticking with the worse series (M&L) then driving it into the ground.
The recent Paper Mario games still have RPG elements in them though. Origami King's battle system in particular basically looks like half a Strategy RPG.