• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went on the website to find out more info and saw this.

RIP
PqlBq4l.png
Oh no -.-

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, it's time to accept that Nintendo does not want "traditional" Paper Mario RPG like the first 2 one, every single release after TTYD were based on unique gameplay mechanics.
It's time to let it go, this IP is not what you want.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel free to go back and look at reviews. I stand by it.

Paper Mario: Color Splash

There’s a mystery on Prism Island. The solution? Mario. Someone's been draining the color from Prism Island! Can you help Mario unravel the mystery and use the power of paint to restore the island? [Nintendo]

Oh yeah can totally see why you'd call this shovelware, that ain't hyperbole at all.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure everyone in here acting smug towards people who like the jrpg paper marios has never been disappointed by a sequel before

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Color Splash looked pretty good, and was received fairly well, and this game looks even better. So not sure how this is supposed to be a comeback.
Pokemon Sword and Shield look pretty good and were received fairly well. I hope you wouldn't argue with this point either, right? I don't see how it's hard to imagine people would be pessimistic.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not get overboard. I mean, how many trailers did Death Stranding have, that were utter non-sense that showed absolutely nothing? Yet there were enough people claiming each one to be the best ever despite not learing anything from them about the game.
The difference is that this game releases in two months

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
congratulations guys on posting the same pic that people posted when sticker star/ color splashed were revealed.

bravo, you did the funny

i dont understand bringing out those games, yes people expected the best before realize, sadly it didnt materialize, now what?

what do you think you are proving by saying "you people said the same before!!"

the game could be good, or could be good

but the true is that in this time, nobody fucking knows.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
ok, i'm cautiously excited about this, but one thing that gets me... how did nintendo hear the outcry for partners to return and think, "ah yes, the fact that they're generic mario enemies, THAT's what people liked about partners!"

llike i'm glad for partner characters, but couldn't they have given them some unique designs like the old games? such a bizarre half step

the origami helper character is big kersti / huey vibes... makes me nervous

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
YES !

I'm in, I just don't care... I want a Paper Mario and I'm taking this one !! I hope there's a really tacky collectors edition with a t-shirt I can buy.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This at the very least looks like a step back towards the original style...but probably not the big grand return that people were wanting. Even still, I'll give it a shot depending upon how reviews go.

Tone-wise it seems back-ish to SPM/TTYD/SMRPG, at least. Assuming the creepy tone of the intro isn't a one off and we also actually full on team up with Bowser's army like it appears.

I'm optimistic.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I remember a point being made about Color Splash that it would've been a much better game if the combat was either not a focus or just not present at all, and instead was more of a puzzle-adventure game.

I wonder if this game takes inspiration from that? It's clear here that combat is not as prevalent compared to previous games given the amount of screentime it was given in the trailer. At the very least it seems improved simply due to it not seeming to rely on limited resources.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, it's time to accept that Nintendo does not want "traditional" Paper Mario RPG like the first 2 one, every single release after TTYD were based on unique gameplay mechanics.
I agree. As long as it's a good and challenging game, I'm happy. I don't need it to be exactly like the first two - I just want it to be good (which Sticker Star wasn't - didn't play Colour Splash).

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what the hell, y'all don't like this?

Alright, I'm out.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've given up years ago.

But then some &$@? out there decides to claim a "return to form" Paper Mario game is coming.

Screw that person.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
From the combat video it looks FP has not returned to the series. Which would imply there's another system in place for using special attacks. Here we go again

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Pentalogy. Lest we forget Super Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Let's not act like Super Paper Mario didn't have all the charm and wit of TTYD. It was pretty fun too. Paper Jam was also a Mario and Luigi game, not Paper Mario.
congratulations guys on posting the same pic that people posted when sticker star/ color splashed were revealed.

bravo, you did the funny
Their point is that most of the people complaining about color splash still haven't played it. The game is more divisive around here than the straight garbage some people act like.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Looks visual great and the rest looks cool. I'll keep an eye out for reviews from reviewers to see if i should get it. i can already tell Resetera might not be the best place to talk about this came pre release.

SpectR0nn

Jan 6, 2018
Wait, why are people already so sure that this wont be an RPG? Just because it doesn't mention it as a genre on the game's page? Or because the trailer doesn't give off that 'feeling' or something vague like that? Seems flimsy at best. I could totally see this being a proper RPG based on this trailer personally.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
No directs this year i think. Smart way to minimize costs. Power of their IPs will promote themselves.

Greeat summer game!!!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Sword and Shield look pretty good and were received fairly well. I hope you wouldn't argue with this point either, right? I don't see how it's hard to imagine people would be pessimistic.
I don't mind if you don't like this style or have issues with previous games. Trust me I won't be singing SWSH's praises any time soon.

But you seriously can't see how ridiculous it is here? Like I get wanting another RPG but completely brushing the game off when we barley know anything about it is crazy to me. I'm reminded of the shit fit so many people threw when Persona 5 Scramble was announced, then look how that turned out.

Not even getting into someone calling the games shovelware.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Color Splash was a huge step up over Sticker Star, so even if this will again follow the new Paper Mario formula I'm confident that Origami King will be another big improvement over its predeccessor. Color Splash's biggest issue was that battles were used almost exclusively as punishment that gave you nothing for engaging in them. If they can solve that issue, I'm positive that Origami King will be a well-praised, legit great game.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
ok, i'm cautiously excited about this, but one thing that gets me... how did nintendo hear the outcry for partners to return and think, "ah yes, the fact that they're generic mario enemies, THAT's what people liked about partners!"

llike i'm glad for partner characters, but couldn't they have given them some unique designs like the old games? such a bizarre half step
I don't know, but they can't keep using Miyamoto as an excuse anymore

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Why do we need a helper every game....

especially if you have "partners"
i actually really like this. Tippi was a great character in SPM, and now with what actually looks to be a new villain, we can hopefully get similar character development since she is the brother of the main antagonist (like how Tippi used to be Bleck's wife)