• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'M SORRY, WHAT?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wake up at 8am and and log on to ERA and I see a freaking NEW PAPER MARIO announced for 2 months from now?!
I almost had a heart attack I thought it was a joke I thought ....."there isn't a direct wtf is happening"

I just watched the trailer, mouth agape, completely in shock.
You got me Nintendo, big time !

I watched the video - thoughts:
-- I love the overall graphics
-- Origami angle looks weird but I'm up for anything with this series at this point
-- The world seems WAY more open and larger or am I crazy?
-- Did I see Mario controlling a boat on a big overworld Ocean?!!!!!!
--Music was really cool and different for PM
--Target-board battle screen with spinning enemies around? But it's turn based. so that's great

It looks really good!

Do we know if Mario can have partners join him in battle like TTYD?
Do we know if there are EXP points and levelling and badges?

Basically, have they gone back to TTYD sensibilities or are we farther out into space from Color Splash with this?
I can't wait to find out more. Shock of the week, Nintendo. You win this time lol!

EDIT: Let me be clear - I even liked Color Splash. Yeah I'm one of those people lol. But the original and TTYD were magic that N never recaptured since. So I'm really hoping more than anything that we get:

-partners
-RPG systems
-a good battle system

I guess we don't really know about any of these things yet though, if all we have is the stuff in the OP. I'm excited regardless for PM at all, but I do hope we get back to some of the conventions of the first 2 games. Do it Nintendo!

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks, so it could be that they're basically equipment, though I still think it's possible the Shiny Boots will be limited. There's no FP equivalent on screen, after all, so unless it's a straight up RPG equipment system it could be resources. But yeah, too early to say either way.
What if the special attacks use up coins so that they could replace regular items as well?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also people better stop pretending nintendo can't announce games outside of direct now, or that it generates less hype lmao

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
I was excited when I first read the announcement, but watching the trailer kinda deflated my hype. No sign of partners, and the character designs look just as generic as in SS/CS. The origami concept is neat, at least.

There's still a lot we haven't seen, like the combat, but that trailer didn't really inspire confidence.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Hehe this is next gen to me alright!

Getting the game day 1, colour Splash was amazing, best paper Mario along with ttyd.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That's exactly why I am disappointed.

Yeah, I mean we better start accepting it now, rather than hyping ourselves up for a month and be crushed. I'm quite bummed about it as well, but I'm trying to accept it and see the upsides of the game.

I guess in the end it depends on how much the "turntable" mechanic can support an entire game. I'm skeptical after Sticker Star, and the fact that they showed so little of the combat system doesn't inspire much confidence, but we'll see. Just... keep expectations low.

I would agree on partners; they would've been seen. I'd disagree that this combat system is in the vein of Sticker Star. This is closer to the original turn based style.

But the original has partners and techniques, while it seems this one has neither. I obviously don't mean it's literally the same system as Sticker Star, I mean it's a very simplified one with a twist (a literal one in this case!).

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
images

The Thread.

holy fuck........holy shit. wow....................you've just annihilated us.......there's no coming back from this one. i like the new games now actually

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Despite the fact that it looks like the partners won't have unique designs I think it kinda makes sense for this game when you think about it; enemies are origami while you're the paper gang.

Reminds me a bit of how Paper Mario 3DS was originally going to be, with what looks like Mario having a chain chomp partner.

44xon2S.png

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
The game looks good and interesting, obviously have to play it to find out. I'm overall happy, also love that the game is July, Nintendo please keep this up. I do not want trailers for games that are 4-5 years away.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the combat is puzzle focused. There are "buy time" and "hint" prompts on the menu

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Looking at the images it seems like during certain segments characters will follow you around like Partners did, but there are waaaaay too many shots of Mario solo to think that classic Partners are back.

Deleted member 2563

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck can you judge this from one damn trailer?

What is so terrible about this trailer? Please, put it into words so that I might understand where you're coming from.
A trailer that does not properly convey the most important part of the gameplay, combat, is a bad trailer.

It's not exactly a secret that many fans were unhappy with recent entry battle systems, you would think in the first video they show they would want to make it clear and avoid any confusion.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
From that trailer it looks like partners are back which is cool. Probably the thing I missed most about recent games. Combat system looks pretty cool too

Kevvin

Oct 28, 2017
No, stop that!

We all have to decide right now that we are either buying this, or not. There is no use in trying to suppose there might be more to the game than the twitter trailer introduced! You see, here in ERA, we make asses if ourselves for all to observe based on hastily crafted opinions and old, tired criticisms.

So, please stop trying to takes this any further than us lamenting TTYD. We have to do this, its Pavlovian at this point.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy about the announcement and a new Paper Mario but this could have been announced easily earlier this year instead of keeping this unnecessary silence until now. Probably other games, in advanced development stages, are in the same situation and can be announced anytime, as well, but Nintendo keeps sitting on them until a few months before the release.

Hey, I'm not asking for Nintendo to act like Sony and announce something far away, a well-known excuse from fanboys, but Nintendo's strategy to announce their games only a few months away of release is totally unnecessary. Their marketing division needs to take a rant at the next general meeting of shareholders and executives.

DynamicG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More power to people who enjoyed Paper Mario 64, TTYD, Super Paper Mario, Sticker Star, Color Splash, all of them or only some of them. All preferences are valid and all of them are free to express their opinion and impressions just as you are. If you want people just echoing your sentiments, just put folks on your ignore list, otherwise just deal with the fact that everyone is just as valid in their opinions as you are in yours.

You are correct, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However on the first page there are several posters literally finding anyone who says it looks like the originals and challenging them directly after we've literally had the game announced for less than an hour. I'm advocating for people to be able to share their own opinions without having someone who disagrees immediately push back in a hostile way. Basically a small group holding anyone who wants to talk positively hostage because it isn't the direct sequel to a 20 year old game.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Need to watch the trailer, but it's clear we're sticking to Sticker Star style, combat aside.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if Mario can have partners join him in battle like TTYD?
Seems partners are back based on the bomb-omb and the game cover, but they don't seems right now to be always with you, or in the combat system.
Do we know if there are EXP points and levelling and badges?
No clue yet
Basically, have they gone back to TTYD sensibilities or are we farther out into space from Color Splash with this?
I can't wait to find out more. Shock of the week, Nintendo. You win this time lol!
More than color splash, but prob too early to tell.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Holy shit, everything about this looks amazing, the style, the world, combat, gameplay...this trailer gives me LIFE! And out in 2 months already, wa-hoo!

Apr 26, 2020
My opinion, but the battle items being available through positioning/combos in that battle system could be pretty interesting. As long as i don't see an item use count, i'm staying positive.

Peach is evil again? Always knew Pauline is the best Mario lady.

Well i dont need confirmation for that. Pauline is the best Mario Girl

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
I wish the partners were more distinctly designed rather than simply being examples of their enemy types.