• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Will be on my radar for sure, will probably wait for impressions before decided whether I'll get it or not. I just hope they don't overdo it with the paper puns. Also, that stinger man... I really hope it means something for the Metroid IP.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
So...no party? Just mario in battles?

I think that remains to be seen. There's a Shy Guy and a Bob Omb that both seem to be tagging along Mario at different times, but they have generic designs. Not much combat was shown, and no partner was shown in them, but that doesn't meant that they aren't there.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Hope it has a normal battle system. The card battle system was implemented tedious as fuck in color splash

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
No idea whether to be excited or not but will give it a shot

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a crowd in the background during battles, that's literally the TTYD mechanic from the looks of it

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So we have Galaxy 1 and 2, and Sunshine, SM64 and 3D World to look forward too in the coming months.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I need to know if the old battle system and Partners are back?
There's a sticker somewhere in a battle scene so... nope.

I already hate that they're sticking to this incredibly unpopular battle system and that the game seems to be FULL of toads like Sticker Star and Color Splash. Not a single interesting character design. I'm all out of hype.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the game itself, but I love the idea of it being released 2 months after announcement. More of that, please!

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Wow completely out of nowhere! As someone who liked the original PM game and enjoyed Colour Splash I'll be happy with whatever this turns out to be.

Same day as Ghost of Tsushima though so it'll have to wait.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never played a paper mario, what are the differences between so called "old style paper mario games" and the new ones, and why are some people saying it's back to its roots and some the opposite? I'm so confused
First two games were pretty standard turn based rpgs with some light platforming and puzzle stuff in the overworld, with a very unique flavor to the writing and world design. The third game got rid of pretty much all of the rpg qualities in favor of action but kept the good writing and unique settings. The most recent two games featured gimmicky battle systems and shifted the focus towards the overworld, and shifted the visual design away from the unique characters that appeared in the first 3 games. This mostly draws from Color Splash, the most recent entry on Wii U, but seems to be shifting the focus further from the original turn based battles and more towards the action side of things, but the visual design seems to imply that the writing and scenario design will be more out there than Color Splash, whose excellent writing was let down by its comparatively weak character and scenario design.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting Color Splash vibes from the trailer. CS was a great game, but it wasn't a proper Paper Mario RPG for me.

To be fair it's just one single trailer so there might be a lot more to it, but so far i am not super impressed.

One thing that i genuinely dislike on Nintendos approach nowadays is that they took the character out of everyone in the Mario world. In Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year Door everyone had so much character, everyone was different and fun.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging from the way they framed the trailer by focusing on a lot of dialog it seems like they're trying to say to people that it's the "good kind" of paper mario that's more focused on rpg and story elements. Hopefully that's the case. Gamecube one was the best.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trailer blocked from work. Did Paper Mario finally go full adventure game? That's all I care about at this point.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
So did they go out of their way to not show the battle system? Because all throughout I was waiting for that to see if it's even worth getting excited for and I think I only saw one instance.
I think so. Expectations have been lowered. Probably not buying. The art and writing looks good tho

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Looks so awesome. I really need to start hitting my backlog. This is another day 1 and I still haven't even beaten Odyssey or Mario Rabbids or Tropical Freeze.