• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of the two series have been better recently?

• Modern Paper Mario (Sticker Star and Color Splash)

Votes: 59 13.8%
  • Modern Pokemon (X/Y, Sun/Moon and Sword/Shield)

Votes: 367 86.2%

• Total voters

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Both modern Paper Mario and modern Pokemon haven't exactly had the best reputation here on Era - though which of the two series have been better recently (and why)?
  • Modern Paper Mario refers to Sticker Star and Color Splash.
  • Modern Pokemon refers to X and Y, Sun and Moon (and their Ultra versions) and Sword and Shield. Remakes do not count.
Bonus question: Since this poll's gotten very one-sided, here's another question: which of the two series would be better if Sticker Star did not exist (i.e. if the only Paper Mario game released since Super was Color Splash)

Last edited:

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Pokemon has been putting forth very little effort but at least their games are build upon the previous one with QoL improvements. Paper Mario seems to take out all the RPG mechanics causing the game to have little depth.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean modern Pokemon is awful but that's not fair it still wins. At least Pokemon is still an RPG.

And remakes should count because ORAS wasn't that great.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Damn, those options really makes it really hard to pick. Neither has been good in a long, long time.

I guess Pokemon are at least fun for a couple of hours before tedium sets in.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
God... it's hard to find anything good in the titles you provided. I guess Pokémon since XY are okay.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
SUMO are good games.
Difference between the two is paper mario changed too much while pokemon doesnt change at all. Even a real bad pokemon game like sword/shield still has the pokemon gameplay, which is really fucking good.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
I liked Sun/Moon and SWSH is ok
Other than the online (PSS was great) and pokemon themselves, X/Y are really boring games that failed to leave any impact on me.

Haven't played Color Splash and I'm not interested in Origami King.

Last edited:

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: thread whining
This is the Era quality content, shitting on games for the hell of it.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Should have a third poll option as the true answer is neither, as both continue to downward spiral into a shell of their former selves.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Pokemon, just because they've stuck to a formula that works, even though it feels like they're getting worse at executing it.

I struggle to think of anything I'd put Paper Mario over.

OP
OP
Ramsay

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
X/Y>Color Splash>Sword/Shield>Sun/Moon>Sticker Star

X and Y are at least passable, so Pokemon wins by default.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Color Splash
Sun/Moon
Sword/Shield
X/Y
Sticker Star

In that order. Maybe switch SwSh with XY, but I really don't like XY and I had more fun with SwSh. This poll isn't really fair since there aren't a lot of Nintendo games that are as bad as Sticker Star, lol. Color Splash is a great game. It's just not an RPG anymore, but it looks amazing, it's very charming, the writing is great. Play it if you haven't. Origami King is shaping up to be the best of all of these games though.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon, easily. They're still competently designed and fun games. Sticker Star and Color Splash are spectacle over function, and the function is complete ass.

EloNoolah

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't really decide because we're in a situation where Pokémon has remained true to the formula and gameplay that made it popular despite the quality of the individual games, while Paper Mario has done a complete 180° from the elements that made the series popular in the first place but I can't in good faith argue that those games are "poorly made" outside of some of the most harebrained puzzle/battle solutions that showed up in Sticker Star.

I thought SM/USUM were great and the best translation of traditional Pokémon gameplay to 3D we've ever had, which makes it even more disappointing that SwSh seem so... amateurish by comparison.

Paper Mario on the other hand has never felt as "low quality" (by Nintendo standards) to me as stuff like the Gen 6 and 8 Pokémon games and I actually really enjoyed Color Splash for what it was, but it just has always sucked to me that that series entirely changed direction to something so completely removed from the gameplay that made it popular enough to warrant sequels to begin with.

I've honestly never understood why the Sticker Star "puzzle adventure" style had to become the new norm for the series when it ended up being so poorly received, especially when the other big stylistic shift we got in SPM has remained a complete one-off. To me it's comparable to if something like Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble or Canvas Curse had just suddenly become the direction for the entire rest of the series and HAL had never made a traditional Kirby platformer ever again. Just really bizarre all around.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
As disappointing as the current state of Pokémon is, it's nothing compared to what's happened to Paper Mario.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Modern Pokemon easily. The core mechanics of Pokemon are still absolutely excellent, it's just the game around them that's lacking in a lot of ways. Modern Paper Mario has poor mechanics and a mediocre game design surrounding it. Game Freak has spent the past 25 years perfecting the Pokemon battle system, Paper Mario threw theirs out for gimmicky nonsense. Can you imagine if the next mainline Pokemon game was suddenly about Pokemon cards, where the player didn't have XP, and you had to build a constantly revolving deck because cards expired? That's basically what the last Paper Mario game did.

Sun/Moon > X/Y > Sw/Sh >>>>> Color Splash >> Sticker Star, though there's honestly a decently big gap between all of those

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
People are upset with Pokemon because it seems like they're not taking advantage of being the largest media franchise on earth.

People are upset with Paper Mario games because they have little of the charm the first few titles did. People argue if they're even the same kind of games beyond art style.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
They suffer from two different problems

Pokémon hasn't changed meaningfully since it's inception while Paper Mario changed so much from what fans want that it's almost a different series.

I'll give them the Origami King to change my mind, but at least I know what I'm getting with a Pokémon game so I'll have to say Pokémon.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: thread whining
This is the Era quality content, shitting on games for the hell of it.
Yes.
? Are we not allowed to discuss two franchises that have both been poorly received in recent years?
Completly different kind of games with completly different rel ase schedules.

The fact that you think that Sun/Moon or Sh/Sw are poorly received considering it sales and critical reception just tells me that you need to leave your bubble at some point for some air xD

In the real world people have other expectations for a children RPG series.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Yes.

Completly different kind of games with completly different rel ase schedules.

The fact that you think that Sun/Moon or Sh/Sw are poorly received considering it sales and critical reception just tells me that you need to leave your bubble at some point for some air xD

In the real world people have other expectations for a children RPG series.
Ah yes, the "children" excuse like we haven't heard that a thousand times already.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
People are upset with Pokemon because it seems like they're not taking advantage of being the largest media franchise on earth.

People are upset with Paper Mario games because they have little of the charm the first few titles did. People argue if they're even the same kind of games beyond art style.
The modern Paper Marios don't even really have the same art style. It used to be more of a pop-up book type thing, but Sticker Star switched it to be more papercraft based.

Feb 21, 2018
I never played Paper Mario so that's probably saying something if they couldn't sell to someone who's played every 2d and 3d MARIO platformer and a few Sports and spin offs. I'm just as much as a Mario fan as I am Pokemon but Paper Mario is kinda like the Pokémon TCG for me. Only the truly dedicated Pokémon fans will overlook a somewhat inferior TCG when compared to Yugioh or Hearthstone, likewise I imagine the same applies to Paper Mario, there are simply too many better RPGs out there at the moment.

Pokemon as a creature collecting RPG is untouchable, TemTem was a bust and Digimon or Ni No Kuni just don't hit the right spots. I enjoyed Sun/Moon, Let's Go, and Sword/Shield immensely. In fact I think I liked all three better than Diamond/Pearl, Black/White,X/Y, and OR/AS. We truly are in the midsts of the Golden Age of Pokémon, despite what Dexit says. Before Dexit Pokemon teams had to rely on a few old and reliable Pokémon meaning there was gradual change between generations but now we're forced to switch up our strategies and try Pokemon which used to be outclassed.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I'm not a fan of the direction Pokemon has been going. But against Sticker Star, it's not even a contest. Pokemon is better and it's not close.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just because the franchise targets kid's doesn't excuse the quality of recent titles which, is lacking.
That's a personal opinion. I enjoyed Sword quite a lot.

Reviews and sales say something else as well. It's okay to have high expectations in a bubble that are constantly being reinforced if you visit the same places online, we all fall victim to that.

Acting like this is the general reception to these games and series is ridiculous though. So i might suggest to take a couple steps back from the situation and reassess the the statement.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I never played Paper Mario so that's probably saying something if they couldn't sell to someone who's played every 2d and 3d MARIO platformer and a few Sports and spin offs. I'm just as much as a Mario fan as I am Pokemon but Paper Mario is kinda like the Pokémon TCG for me. Only the truly dedicated Pokémon fans will overlook a somewhat inferior TCG when compared to Yugioh or Hearthstone, likewise I imagine the same applies to Paper Mario, there are simply too many better RPGs out there at the moment.
Basically, that assumption was wrong. Mario RPGs were extremely high quality until the 3DS era where both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi torpedoed (well, Dream Team was still a pretty good game, but Paper Jam :/ ... ).

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Not a huge fan of how Pokemon has been going lately. Just feel like their resting on their laurels.

Paper Mario on the other hand has actually been regressing for my tastes.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario hasn't been good in a long ass time, so I'll pick that anyday

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
At least Pokemon is still mechanically sound and continues to introduce strong, varied designs.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sticker Star automatically disqualifies Paper Mario.

But modern Pokémon hurts more for me. Pokémon Red was my first video game. I miss the feeling of getting excited by Pokémon.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Haven't played Sw/Sh, but I had a good time with both Pokémon X and Ultramoon, while Sticker STar was rather boring and Color Splash was so bad... It was the first Nintendo game I haven't finished.