• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yup.

They just wrapped up with a smaller game "A Short Hike" that was part of the Humble Monthly program so hopefully we'll start to see more on that RPG soon.

Ooh, A Short Hike was great. Didn't realize the dev was working on a Paper Mario-inspired RPG.

That looks a lot more appealing than Bug Fables, tbh - very clearly PM-inspired but with its own distinct art direction, whereas Bug Fables just looks like a low-budget knockoff of Paper Mario's artstyle.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Looks like it's inspired by early Paper Mario games, which is pretty much the best we could ask for in that regard.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I played the demo and it was pretty good. Kinda didn't expect it to ever actually release

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
As far as Paper Mario like games, people should check out Steven Universe Save the Light.
That game is really cool and plays like a mix of Paper Mario and Chrono Trigger and is the only RPG I've ever seen where you can defeat enemies by ringout. However it's very buggy; like, I had a couple of instances where I had to reset the game.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So this is what it has come to... I'm in. Or at least, this is definitely on my radar now. Been so fucking desperate for a Paper Mario game for so long now. Not sure about the bug aesthetic, but Hollow Knight has warmed me up for it!

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, it really does look like Paper Mario but with insect aesthetics. I hope the writing is good, since that's part of the charm of the Paper Mario games.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
btw, started playing Underhero last night and it seems like another solid indie heavily inspired by the Mario RPGs, though the combat is more reminiscent of the Mario & Luigi games than Paper Mario. Only on PC for now, but I believe it's planned for consoles at some point.

Discussion After PC Release

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I hadn't heard of this game at all but I saw it under New and Trending on Steam and it looks amazing. Sitting at 100% with 15 reviews so far and at $20 I might have to pick it up when I'm done with Pokemon. Doesn't seem like anyone on here is talking about it and I'd hate for it to go unnoticed. Wish we'd get a TTYD remake on Switch or something, but this looks like it might scratch that itch for me.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I hadn't heard of this game at all but I saw it under New and Trending on Steam and it looks amazing. Sitting at 100% with 15 reviews so far and at $20 I might have to pick it up when I'm done with Pokemon. Doesn't seem like anyone on here is talking about it and I'd hate for it to go unnoticed. Wish we'd get a TTYD remake on Switch or something, but this looks like it might scratch that itch for me.

Oh shit, it's out? I thought I wishlisted it, that's awesome!

I hope everyone has a good time with it, the demo was super promising, and I look forward to playing it sometime soon!

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone else had a problem with a using a controller with this game?
For some reason, when I use a controller, the button that should be cut/boomerang/magic just does party swap and jump at the same time.
It might be because I'm using a PS4 controller with DS4Windows, but that's never cause problems for me before...
I can still play with the keyboard, but a controller just seems more natural for this kind of game.

Last edited:

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a thread on Reddit about how Dangen is supposedly not paying the devs they are working with and I'm worried my money isn't going to them.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I've downloaded this and am going to play this morning. I am so excited for a Paper Mario\TTYD spiritual successor and the video on the Steam page looks SO GOOD!
I hope it's not a super short game because I am beyond ready to dig into a game like this. Will post impressions later if I get a decent chunk of playtime in today.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm Bug Fables is the Paper Mario Thousand Year Door sequel of my dreams.

Please buy. Need many sequels.