• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
G1pdK68KVKcX5qGwmIUbqwhy54-geOGF.jpg

Listen, I love the RPG Mario series, I love how colorful and corky they are with lots of comedy and amazing writing, and of course I love The Thousand Year Door, I'm just asking you that if you have the chance to play Color Splash to give it a try because it's one of my favorite games in the franchise and I think it gets absolutely not love whatsover.

True, it's barely a RPG and more like a card game but I think that's fine too, the writing is very good, it has very good jokes, stunning visuals, lovely ost... so why the hate? It's because is not like TTYD? Sequels need a shake off and after Super Paper Mario it was a fine moment to try new things, even more after Sticker Star.

If they release a Switch ver. please, give it a try, it's very very good.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I'm a pretty big Paper Mario fan but skipped Color Splash. I always regretted it, though. If a Switch re-release does show up at some point, I will absolutely check it out.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Sticker Star & Color Splash were handled by Taro Kudo who is the designer of Moon RPG, UFO and the composer of Super Castlevania IV. He is great and his games are great

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant. Its on a dead system that is far too much money used.
Absolutely understandable, if you get the chance though, give it a try
I'm a pretty big Paper Mario fan but skipped Color Splash. I always regretted it, though. If a Switch re-release does show up at some point, I will absolutely check it out.
Valid. Hope you like it
if it get's a switch port, sure, i'll play it.
tumblr_ow2ggiCPJy1rrftcdo1_400.gif

Sticker Star & Color Splash were handled by Taro Kudo who is the designer of Moon RPG, UFO and the composer of Super Castlevania IV. He is great and his games are great
Didn't knew this, thanks!

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna play a game where I become stronger by fighting and were going into battle actually means something.
Like an actual RPG. It encourages me to just wander around and try to avoid battles so that I have enough
special cards for a boss, instead of throwing enemies against me, where I have to use my new weapons and badgeds
to defeat them while also learning how the boss could work out.

So no. If they want me to buy a new Paper Mario, make it an actual RPG

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would much rather have them to work on a traditional Paper Mario using the Color Splash engine.

While the humor, locations and writing were a good step up from Sticker Star, its still pretty lame by Paper Mario standards imo.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I was so certain of that game getting a release on the Switch quite early in the consoles lifespan.. it didnt really get a fair chance on the Wii U.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His style of writing is great. I think people are wildly underplaying the quality because they don't like other things in the game. It's a great thing Nintendo are fostering these talents of people who loves to do unique things
I agree the combat could use some tweaking, make it a bit like Slay the Spire and you have everyone on board!

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yup.
While not perfect, Color Splash is a very good game. The humor is there and the combat, while similar to SS, has a little more strategy with the unpainted cards. Also, unlike SS, you actually have a reason to do battles since it increases your color limit, which is needed to paint cards/scenary.
Like I said, it's not a perfect game (I'm still mad about how you can't go back to restock cards in the final level.) , but calling it a bad game? Not happening.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It was a decent game but not having experience made most battles pointless, huge improvement over Sticker Star though.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
The combat is pretty brain-dead (you have lots of choices, but fights are so easy that mashing "attack" would have been a better system), but I do agree that everything else is really cool. It's a nice chill adventure game with some interesting mechanics, but painting cards in battles got old. The system isn't even inherently bad, they just made it too easy.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked my playthrough of Color Splash, while the overall plot is fairly weak, the smaller story arcs are nearly at the level of TYD, such as the groundhogs day loop haunted mansion, the parallel universes sea voyage, and the train journey. Huey was also a pretty enjoyable character.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember when ShockingAlberto confirmed that the Wii U was getting a Paper Mario game, and I flipped out so to speak. Never had that kind of hype reaction to a rumor before.

As nice as a switch port would be, I just dont feel like spending money on that game.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
The writing and visuals were excellent, but the combat was a snooze fest after the first few hours.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Game's better than Sticker Star. I loved the exploration and dialogue. Otherwise though it is still a very weak game compared to 64/TTYD.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked my playthrough of Color Splash, while the overall plot is fairly weak, the smaller story arcs are nearly at the level of TYD, such as the groundhogs day loop haunted mansion, the parallel universes sea voyage, and the train journey. Huey was also a pretty enjoyable character.
Aren't all the overall plots in Mario rpg games weak tho. They're just an excuse for weird one off side stories

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I probably should. It's sat in my backlog since near release, I played the first like hour and it seemed like a huge improvement over Sticker Star but I could see the paint mechanic getting tedious.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I enjoyed the exploration part of ss honestly so I've been avoiding most of the level playthrough for this one. I've hear a lot of good things about Color splash so I think I'll play it next.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
They clearly acted on feedback from Sticker Star by using a proper script in the old style, but it was still a very straightforward do-over of that game. Better in some key areas but the more systemic flaws are still there.

Obviously they didn't get a big budget being a late Wii U title so it remains to be seen whether they will leave this style behind with the inevitable Switch entry.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
It's legit one of my all time favourite games on the Wii U. Not as good as TYD, but miles ahead of Sticky Star.

thomaser

Nov 26, 2017
Colour Splash is amazing. I liked it so much that I played through it twice in a row, and that's something I almost never do with a backlog of over 1000 games. Everything in CS just clicked for me, and it was a joy from start to finish. Both times - the game simply made me feel good, and I wanted that feeling to last :-) I can understand that people would rather want a Paper Mario with rpg-elements like the first two, instead of the card-based battle system. But that's honestly not a good reason to not play CS. It fixes everything that was bad with Sticker Star, and works wonderfully as it is. I really hope we get to see more of both types of Paper Mario-games as long as they are as good as this one.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I plan to play it eventually. Don't know if I should try to find a Wii U copy while they're still at decent prices or wait to see if we get a Switch port.

I would much rather have them to work on a traditional Paper Mario using the Color Splash engine.

While the humor, locations and writing were a good step up from Sticker Star, its still pretty lame by Paper Mario standards imo.

Isn't your avatar Dimentio from Super Paper Mario? Now that's a lame PM game.

Actually, I rather liked it to be honest. Except for a few sections that is.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game OP, far better than most will give it credit for but some of the gameplay stuff does hold it back (always choose the advanced card controls!!!!!!!!)

It's pretty charming in its writing and jokes. Best use of the paper aesthetic in any of the games. I think though Intelligent Systems or whoever needs to find a better way to make combat more compelling since they seem pretty determined to not make another TTYD type game.

All that said, 3rd best Paper Mario imo.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
His style of writing is great. I think people are wildly underplaying the quality because they don't like other things in the game. It's a great thing Nintendo are fostering these talents of people who loves to do unique things

I think that's what I'm doing, underplaying the quality.
In a vacuum, I think the game would be fine to experience. But before I can even pull the trigger I'm asking myself why should I be okay with getting only part of the package, especially all these years later.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Amazing game, with some hiccups, sure, but I love it.

One of the funniest games out there.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
The battle system really holds this game back, it's a shame. I think everyone wants IS to make a new PM in the vein of the old ones, but it would also be cool if they just made one without a battle system - reexamine what's working in Color Splash (the humor) and what isn't (the pointless random battles)

As far as playing Color Splash, my recommendation would honestly be to watch a let's play and skip over the boring parts.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
I got it day one and only played the first hour or so. Didn't drop it for any particular reason, but it pretty much fell off my radar. Maybe I'll dust off my copy once my RPG backlog has thinned a bit.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't all the overall plots in Mario rpg games weak tho. They're just an excuse for weird one off side stories
Nah, Super Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door had pretty strong overall stories, largely thanks to the between chapter vignettes that kept tabs on the villains and other characters, that come together pretty meaningfully by then end. It's a pretty big reason why those games are well regarded.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'll echo this. The game shines in its writing and characters and is worth playing because of that alone. The color limit increasing via successful battles, while not a perfect solution, makes the combat much, much more worthwhile than Sticker Star's.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Agreed. I own a Wii U and I own Color Splash and it's a great game. I put it up there with the first two Paper Marios. The card aspect works well and it's not devoid of strategy. The game is fun and creative. I thought Sticker Star was okay, but very flawed, especially with how Things worked with the bosses, but Color Splash is fine in this regard. I absolutely nominate it for Switch Port. It deserves a second chance.

mrgoomba

Dec 10, 2017
Finished it on WiiU, it's was a good game and I had a good time with it, better than sticker star but not as good as a thousand years door

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just imagining this caliber of writing and presentation with the character variety of Super Mario Odyssey and a combat system more evocative of the first two Paper Mario titles is giving me game of the generation vibes, to be honest.

Taro Kudo is a fucking master of his craft, and the localization job was also incredible.
paper-mario-color-funny-toad.png

Paper-Mario-Color-Splash-Toads.jpg

Paper-Mario-Color-Splash-Screenshot-2016-11-04-12-21-45.png

4aa827c3955034abad4bed89b4183b00.jpg

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm just curious is asking for a Wii U game to get ported to switch port begin on this site?

The problem of port begging is that it leads to console war nonsense, so port begging is more about begging for games to be ported between current consoles. Remake begging doesn't really hurt anyone.

For the game itself, they definitely did a good job with making the combat accessible despite the limited-use cards. You still had the problem of combat avoidance like with Sticker Star, but the more inventive cards made for some insane situations in bigger battles.

One sticking point that I remember poorly was that the later big bosses all had some obtuse "you must have this specific card or this fight is unwinnable" and the hints on those cards being obtuse for backtracking. The very final battle had some twitch reflex shit to it too that I remember getting very aggravated by.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I heartily agree. There's a wonderful sense of adventure in the game that simply hits some notes that make it evoke memories from games of my childhood and the audiovisual experience in just stellar.

The combat, while certainly an improvement from Sticker Star, still isn't the best and I feel some of the combat puzzles were a bit obtuse (as well as certain sections of the game), but to me it barely manages to make a dent into an otherwise fantastic experience.

While I probably wouldn't double dip if it came to Switch, I do hope more people would get to the experience the game, and more than that I very much that there is a sequel of sorts in the works.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Glad to see the writing is still really good. I had the scene with the shy guy on the train shown to me and the scene with the same one in the forest later and that was some real shit.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a game that really needed to pull the cord and axe the turn-based combat and RPG elements completely and just be an action-adventure game.

Dec 23, 2017
The problem of port begging is that it leads to console war nonsense, so port begging is more about begging for games to be ported between current consoles. Remake begging doesn't really hurt anyone.

For the game itself, they definitely did a good job with making the combat accessible despite the limited-use cards. You still had the problem of combat avoidance like with Sticker Star, but the more inventive cards made for some insane situations in bigger battles.

One sticking point that I remember poorly was that the later big bosses all had some obtuse "you must have this specific card or this fight is unwinnable" and the hints on those cards being obtuse for backtracking. The very final battle had some twitch reflex shit to it too that I remember getting very aggravated by.
Even third party titles for Wii U that might have released on other consoles?