• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
d8Wus3V.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Switch
Release Date:
July 21st, 2020​
Genre: Action/Platformer
Price: $19.99 USD
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer/Publisher: Tribute Games Inc.
Size: ~200MB

P4Gkvyi.gif

T9MWGvk.png

What is Panzer Paladin?
Panzer Paladin is a linear, stage-based, action game from the developers of Flinthook and Mercenary Kings. Take control of your Paladin power armor to fight against a demon invasion across 17 retro-inspired levels.

How do you play?
This handy info packet I got from PAX East sums up the mechanics of the game pretty well:
HbvQYIR.png

You attack with either your fists or one of the 100+ disposable weapons you can find in the game.

When you come across a checkpoint you can sacrifice one of your weapons to activate it to spawn at the checkpoint when you perish.

You can break a weapon to trigger a special ability or just throw it to get a ranged attack.

Ejecting from your Paladin power armor lets you directly control your whip-wielding pilot, Flame, who has their own special moveset.

Bonus features?
There is a New Game + mode that features a harder difficulty, new enemy placements and slightly altered levels. You can also race Ghost replays of other players to play for a spot on the online leaderboard.

Custom Weapons?
Yes, on PC you will be able to create and share your own pixel art weapon designs (along with setting their stats) using the in-game editor via Steam Workshop. The same feature exists on Switch but without Workshop support of course.
piPvSjo.png

How long is the game?
4-5 hours for the standard campaign.

Will there be a physical release?
The developers would like to do one, but nothing is currently confirmed/announced.

Will the game come to additional platforms?
Nothing announced, but future ports aren't being ruled out.

IYEN3vZ.png

ss_33d2583584504868e4bc2098384ac2fc01fd78cc.600x338.jpg
ss_84b99f2d78028aa3cd95d2bb55fb142de5d1fd32.600x338.jpg

ss_cc19e4560e15a7cb7e54ce10aae8266809be819f.600x338.jpg
ss_725a3bf844330867596499670f13678837a8f599.600x338.jpg

GA2LhQG.png

Metacritic
PC | Switch

TheOuterHeaven 4.5/5
Panzer Paladin is a combination of games from the past that were the best of the best, with slight improvements tossed in for good measure. If you're a fan of the action-platformer genre, there's something here to enjoy, a casual or hardcore gamer. This is perhaps Tribute Games' best title to date and it shows. Amazing and fun gameplay, the level design is top-notch and the chiptunes were enjoyable.

Noisy Pixel 9/10
Panzer Paladin is inspired heavily by retro 8-bit games, but it ends up setting itself apart with its own distinct identity and gameplay. The robust number of weapons and abilities you can experiment with creates a unique experience whether you're piloting the Paladin or taking on the level on foot. If that wasn't enough, the added bits of post-game content gives more reason to get back into your mech and play again.

NintendoLife 8/10
Panzer Paladin's uncomplicated gameplay won't be for everyone and there are some very minor niggles that hold it back from true greatness. Even so, it has heart, and that goes a long, long way. If you're into retro throwback games then you should really give this a try; Panzer Paladin is an unpretentious, exuberant action game from start to finish, and a must for genre fans.

05FQT3Y.png

Official Site

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
www.nintendo.co.uk

Panzer Paladin

Hop in the Paladin power armor, seize melee weapons from the demonic invaders and give them a taste of their own medicine!

EU link btw (the nice thing for the EU links is the work for the entire region)

An aside, but does Nintendo's web storefront not redirect you to its regional equivalent based on your IP? I could have sworn it did that for me with Canada, but I could just be thinking of all the other platform holder's sites.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
An aside, but does Nintendo's web storefront not redirect you to its regional equivalent based on your IP? I could have sworn it did that for me with Canada, but I could just be thinking of all the other platform holder's sites.
Well that's what I mean, the EU site automatically adjusts the currency/store during checkout so you can always link to any EU store page (in this case UK for English language) and have the price display in your currency depending on what country the Nintendo Account is assigned in the EU region (defaults to the site's home country if you're not logged in).

As you probably know, NOA and NOE are wholly different separate entities (as you can see with the website design/interface). The web interfaces are region specific.

You're probably thinking of the Xbox storefront and Steam. Whenever I used the PSN web store, it was country specific.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's what I mean, the EU site automatically adjusts the currency/store during checkout so you can always link to any EU store page (in this case UK for English language) and have the price display in your currency depending on what country the Nintendo Account is assigned in the EU region (defaults to the site's home country if you're not logged in).

As you probably know, NOA and NOE are wholly different separate entities (as you can see with the website design/interface). The web interfaces are region specific.

You're probably thinking of the Xbox storefront and Steam. Whenever I used the PSN web store, it was country specific.

Ah gotcha, weird that they're the last one to not redirect folk. PSN stated doing that a while back for your account region, I've been using regions like Russia for store links in OTs since they were up before anywhere else, but I digress haha.

Last edited:
First, quick impression: the game is great and addictive. There are just a variety of ways to tackle each stage given the weapon variations (I like using them to the last second then absorbing the power up). Plus I love that all the bosses are various mythical monsters from that areas mytho. It's like Mega Man meets Blaster Master with a sprinkle of Castlevania and I am legit in love! XD

Plus the Blacksmith/weapon creation is just addictive and fun. I've made like, three weapons, lmao!

I'm really looking forward to doing a full play through!

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
fuck me, I forgot this was out so soon. I am SWAMPED, but I feel I need this game right now.

I need this game right now, don't I?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Off to the eshop...

Custom Weapons?
Yes, on PC you will be able to create and share your own pixel art weapon designs (along with setting their stats) using the in-game editor cia Steam Workshop. The same feature exists on Switch but without Workshop support of course.
piPvSjo.png
Incoming dildo alert

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I am really enjoying this so far. I thought Flinthook played very well, but I found the small rooms and proc-gen stitching together rather uninspired and didn't do the game justice (and I say this as a huge roguelike/roguelite fan). This game so far has good level design and feels good to play. The spritework is excellent. The cutscene after the tutorial level was just flat-out awesome.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one someone got my hopes up by making a thread saying it was like zelda 2 lol

Still looks cool even if it's not a Z2 clone. Hope the physical happens.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Just want to say I love the game logo and key/cover art. Wish I could find some clean wallpaper of some.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Picked it up after seeing the key art on Twitter and looking up trailers for the game. Never heard of it, but it's art style is super rad! Played through the first level - don't regret my purchase. Cliche as it is, it's perfect on Switch! Can't wait to dig more into this later tonight.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch, PC or Switch...

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fantastic. Will buy for sure.
Matt McMuscles' impressions were glowing, GameXplain were a little less keen on it though.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
It seems the game can get harder if you hoard the weapons instead of using that much and sometimes break them for spells.
In the inventory there's a status for that and if you acumulate too much weapon it says hard and the enemies start to hit harder.

I guess Derricks was always exploring the absorving weapons for spell so never achieve that hard status.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Gah, I want to play this now but there is always the chance that a physical version comes out later... UGH.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Broke down and bought.

Played two levels (one being the intro level) on Switch and I'm in love already. This is fucking good stuff, man.

Checkpoints are pretty spread out so the first time I died on a level after making a bunch of progress I let out a frustrated "really!?" but it's one of those things where the more you play a level the more you can get through it fast so it's great and it makes checkpoints and (sacrificing a weapon for them) even more rewarding.

Music is also fantastic.

I'm gonna take my time with this, but yeah, this is great.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to try it but it looks a little slow. Also, Mercenary Kings was a pretty poorly designed game. Flinthook was fun, though.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in this as I'm a sucker for mecha and pixelart.

I've been dividing my attention between Bloodstained 2 and Cross Code but right after I finish one of those I'll pick this up.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for this and expected it to be $15. Not Sure why the extra $5 Is bothering me so much. I'll see about picking it up tomorrow after reviews.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Big fan of Tribute so I had to pick it up. While I really like Flinthook the roguelike mechanics killed it for me. Having to do three stages and a boss without dying was not fun.

Panzer Paladin, however, is amazing. Just pure fun with interesting mechanics and a solid but not too hard difficulty on normal. The only thing I don't like is having lives but I've never ran out so far but it is an extra stresser I dont like

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
After beating a few stages last night, I put this is right up there with Shovel Knight when it comes to retro-inspired platformers. They nailed everything from the graphics, presentation, music (OMG), and overall gameplay. The weapon management is pretty awesome and adds something different to the formula. I haven't even messed around with the weapon editor yet.

Most Tribute games came lean more on the difficult side - but Panzer seems a bit easier and more balanced. It's not an overly easy game, but it hits that balance of challenging and not frustrating.

The New York boss is a flying vampire succubus who blows heart shaped kiss attacks at you ...and her name is Lilith! That's like some Spiderman/Batman shit from Revenge of Shinobi!

Can't say enough good things about this game - it's amazing. Go buy it.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Playing through levels in order from the starting level and down, just finished Switzerland.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

There was a moment in the dragon boss fight in Scotland where I beat the thing, but the add it had summoned just before its demise finished my mech off. So technically there's a window after beating a boss where you can still die I take it? Although I imagine there are aren't too many bosses with persisting adds.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I fucking HATE the checkpoint system.

If you're gonna space the checkpoints so far out, at least don't have pits be an instant death. So many times have I tread carefully only to lose a fucking life because I accidentally didn't push the analogue up enough for an upswing (double jump) or because the apex of the whip swing is too deceiving and the pilot ends up missing a platform by a hair.

Edit: To be fair the moment to moment gameplay isn't too hard and you can go through levels pretty quickly if learn the hazards and focus, but the chekpoint system is pretty punishing. I personally would prefer checkpoints being more plentiful with the moment to moment gameplay being more challenging instead.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking HATE the checkpoint system.

If you're gonna space the checkpoints so far out, at least don't have pits be an instant death. So many times have I tread carefully only to lose a fucking life because I accidentally didn't push the fucking analogue up enough for an upswing (double jump) or because the apex of the whip swing is too deceiving and the pilot ends up missing a platform by a hair.

I don't hate the checkpoint system itself but it definitely doesn't go well with those death pits. I have lost so much progress because of it. It's infuriating.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I don't hate the checkpoint system itself but it definitely doesn't go well with those death pits. I have lost so much progress because of it. It's infuriating.
Hate was a strong word I used in a fresh bout of rage from falling into a pit because I accidentally slashed forward instead of up.

But yeah it doesn't go well with those pits. It would be better if falling into a pit removed a chunk of your health like the spikes do.

Another minor complaint I have is how you can't go to world map from the final batch of levels without losing progress. Seems kinda arbitrary IMO.