• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The developers have said on Twitter that they're currently working on a patch to fix the control issues.

Awesome news - anything specifically? ie. more generous target painting. Where are you seeing this communication, twitter?

Biggest fixes for me would be:
- more generous target painting
- more responsive 90 degree turns
- eliminating the dragon bouncing (I realize this is a long shot)
- reducing or eliminating shadow flickering on level 5
- adding some sliders for saturation/contrast or maybe filters, to make it closer to the original color scheme

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Remaking Saga would be such a big task. I don't think it will happen, but I do hope it will.
Honestly I hope it happens. I've warmed a lot more to Megapixel's visual overhaul here, it actually feels a bit like an oversaturated Orta imo. I think a similar handling applied to Saga could be something special. It'd probably have to be a $60 product though and unlike the shooters I think Saga would really need some QOL design improvements too for modern audiences.

Speaking of Orta, I also wonder if that game is a possibility? The visuals are strong enough in it already that a more direct remaster could probably fly. Maybe after Zwei wraps (and I guess HOTD1-2) we'll see?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I hope it happens. I've warmed a lot more to Megapixel's visual overhaul here, it actually feels a bit like an oversaturated Orta imo. I think a similar handling applied to Saga could be something special. It'd probably have to be a $60 product though and unlike the shooters I think Saga would really need some QOL design improvements too for modern audiences.

Speaking of Orta, I also wonder if that game is a possibility? The visuals are strong enough in it already that a more direct remaster could probably fly. Maybe after Zwei wraps (and I guess HOTD1-2) we'll see?

I could see Orta HD happen on Switch if the remakes show a market for them.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's also some extra options (Shadow Mode) locked behind beating it on Hard. Includes options like level select, easy bosses, god mode, rapid fire, riderless, speed up, etc.

Nice! I'll give it another run on hard when first update arrives

Awesome news - anything specifically? ie. more generous target painting. Where are you seeing this communication, twitter?

Biggest fixes for me would be:
- more generous target painting
- more responsive 90 degree turns
- eliminating the dragon bouncing (I realize this is a long shot)
- reducing or eliminating shadow flickering on level 5
- adding some sliders for saturation/contrast or maybe filters, to make it closer to the original color scheme

There is a doc with suggestions open to the Panzer Dragoon community.

twitter.com

Panzer Dragoon Legacy on Twitter

“Feedback for the developers of Panzer Dragoon: Remake is currently being collected in this Google spreadsheet: https://t.co/DLqWHwkdAX Adding to the sheet will help us see refinements to the game in future patches. https://t.co/w128rSTZjo”

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I've only watched the intro, but I'm a little disappointed that they dramatically changed the dragon cries for both Solo Wing and the Dark Dragon. The latter has a really unique and defining sound to it in the original game. Also, the crossbows that the hunters are using don't have that nice *THWACK* sound anymore. :(

Last edited:

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
It's really hard to fathom making the core Panzer Dragoon gameplay so... inconsistent. It's really unfortunate.

I loaded up the original on my Saturn just to make sure I wasn't being blinded by nostalgia goggles on how responsive and accurate they were - and nope, that game is exactly how I remember it: Rife with core gameplay mechanics that consistently work.

I hope the patch goes well.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Got to stage 4 on hard before going game over. That damn boss, so tough. Perhaps with the fixed controls and shooting it will be a bit easier. I also do believe that the hitbox of the dragon is a bit bigger in the remake. It's quite tough dodging a lot of the shots in level 4.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only watched the intro, but I'm a little disappointed that they dramatically changed the dragon cries for both Solo Wing and the Dark Dragon. The latter has a really unique and defining sound to it in the original game. Also, the crossbows that the hunters are using don't have that nice *THWACK* sound anymore. :(

They changed virtually every sound effect in the game, from the lock on sound to the sound lasers make.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
How are you guys liking this remake? I never played the original (I only played Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Original Xbox), but I'm curious if this game is worth my time and moolah, as I really love my time playing Orta.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are you guys liking this remake? I never played the original (I only played Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Original Xbox), but I'm curious if this game is worth my time and moolah, as I really love my time playing Orta.

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed. I said before, it's a pretty poor port of a good game. So parts of the good game still shine through under, but the changes made tend to be much worse than the original IMO. Talking about gameplay changes, btw, nothing related to graphics.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Personally, I'm pretty disappointed. I said before, it's a pretty poor port of a good game. So parts of the good game still shine through under, but the changes made tend to be much worse than the original IMO. Talking about gameplay changes, btw, nothing related to graphics.

Hmmm. Then should I wait until those changes are reverted/ironed out before jumping in? I haven't had much luck with emulating the original, and I would rather support the official release, etc.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. Then should I wait until those changes are reverted/ironed out before jumping in? I haven't had much luck with emulating the original, and I would rather support the official release, etc.
Do you happen to have an Xbox One? You can play the original by purchasing Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox One, which includes waaaay more content and is overall a better game (orta, I mean). Orta has two entirely separate full games unlockable as you play -- first you play and beat Orta (which has branching paths and alternate levels, as well), which unlocks pandora's box. Inside pandora's box, you unlock a second game where you play as a side character in Orta going through completely different levels, and after you beat that, you unlock the original Panzer Dragoon game in its entirety (the original windows 95 port).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What did they change gameplay-wise?

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Do you happen to have an Xbox One? You can play the original by purchasing Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox One, which includes waaaay more content and is overall a better game (orta, I mean). Orta has two entirely separate full games unlockable as you play -- first you play and beat Orta (which has branching paths and alternate levels, as well), which unlocks pandora's box. Inside pandora's box, you unlock a second game where you play as a side character in Orta going through completely different levels, and after you beat that, you unlock the original Panzer Dragoon game in its entirety (the original windows 95 port).

Unfortunately, I don't have an Xbox One, and it's unlikely I can obtain one anytime soon. Quite honestly, I was hoping this remake could scratch that itch, but I guess I'm out of luck.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What did they change gameplay-wise?

The aiming reticle in panzer dragoon 1 is a series of four rotating squares like so:

PanzerDragoonRemakeReview2.jpg

The reason it works like this is because you have two attacks in Panzer Dragoon. Your primary attack is a gun that the rider uses, and the smallest square that is furthest away is the cross hair for that, the gun will hit what's in the smallest box. The other attack is a lock on target system, similar to star fox. In the original, the largest box was the cross hair for locking on, when any enemy would pass through that large box, it would lock on. The remake doesn't do this, instead the tiniest reticle is the lock on cross hair, making it much harder to paint enemies.

The lock-on mechanism also takes longer to initiate, you have to hold the button for much longer before it locks on.

There is also a lot of input delay. No joke, like 1/2 a second to rotate the camera. Being able to spin the camera 360 degrees is one of the biggest parts of the Panzer Dragoon games, as enemies approach from all sides.

They changed the gun firing rate as well, it fires single shots and much slower, where it fired rapid fire in the original. Each button press in the original would in quick succession let off like 4 or 5 shots.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't have an Xbox One, and it's unlikely I can obtain one anytime soon. Quite honestly, I was hoping this remake could scratch that itch, but I guess I'm out of luck.

One other alternative is, assuming you are posting on a PC, you can buy the original disc. It'll still work on a modern PC with a patch, these were the days before DRM or digital distribution. It comes on a CD-Rom that uses a CD-key on the case. So if you buy a PC copy from ebay or so, where it goes for roughly the same price as the Remake, you can play it on a modern PC without problems.

Also, if you somehow have access to a Japanese playstation 2, there is a much better remake on that console under the Sega Ages 2500 collection.

Oct 27, 2017
They changed virtually every sound effect in the game, from the lock on sound to the sound lasers make.
Yeah, I noticed after watching a full play-through. There are many unnecessary changes throughout.

I'm grateful that Sega approved the remake, but now I'm probably going to get this much later than I originally planned. The original release is definitely superior, and the missteps taken with this remake have me a little worried about the remake for Zwei. I can only hope more care is taken with that title.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The aiming reticle in panzer dragoon 1 is a series of four rotating squares like so:

PanzerDragoonRemakeReview2.jpg

The reason it works like this is because you have two attacks in Panzer Dragoon. Your primary attack is a gun that the rider uses, and the smallest square that is furthest away is the cross hair for that, the gun will hit what's in the smallest box. The other attack is a lock on target system, similar to star fox. In the original, the largest box was the cross hair for locking on, when any enemy would pass through that large box, it would lock on. The remake doesn't do this, instead the tiniest reticle is the lock on cross hair, making it much harder to paint enemies.

The lock-on mechanism also takes longer to initiate, you have to hold the button for much longer before it locks on.

There is also a lot of input delay. No joke, like 1/2 a second to rotate the camera. Being able to spin the camera 360 degrees is one of the biggest parts of the Panzer Dragoon games, as enemies approach from all sides.

They changed the gun firing rate as well, it fires single shots and much slower, where it fired rapid fire in the original. Each button press in the original would in quick succession let off like 4 or 5 shots.
Huh. I wonder if there's some technical limitation for what they did, because the game had already gotten many of those complaints with the previous builds they showed off at events. Hope the PC version can be modded to fix it if the devs don't do it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I wonder if there's some technical limitation for what they did, because the game had already gotten many of those complaints with the previous builds they showed off at events. Hope the PC version can be modded to fix it if the devs don't do it.

It's strange, but it can happen. An example is with NiGHTS into Dreams HD. NiGHTS into Dreams HD is actually a port of the PS2 remake, which began its life as a Sega Ages 2500 remake that was turned into a full release once the budget went up. The original PS2 release had control issues that were heavily documented on NiGHTS into dreams fansites at the time.

So, when they decided to port the NiGHTS remake to the PS3/Xbox 360/Steam, they brought upon one of the admins from one of those sites as a "consultant." That woman was supposed to relay the issues the community had with the original remake (and, by all accounts, she did), yet when the remake released, those same exact problems from the PS2 version were still present.

They then released a patch to address those problems after large community backlash, but they didn't fully fix them to behave like they did in the original.

The point of the story isn't to make anybody look bad, but rather to imply that there are all sorts of reasons behind the scenes that something can release the way it does. I'm sure these devs heard the feedback, but you can't be sure what their milestone deadlines looked like, if the company was ever allotted any time to actually address those concerns, etc. It's not always on the developers, you just can't know unless you have some good info about what that specific game's development cycle was like.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you still have your copy of Orta, you already have the original Panzer Dragoon as it's a bonus in that game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this, if this Panzer Dragoon remake had to get released in a sloppy fashion in order for them to get good feedback which leads to a killer Zwei port, then it'll have been worth it to me. There are so many ways to play Panzer Dragoon 1 and Orta as is, it's much more important to me that they nail Zwei which has never been ported anywhere.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
One other alternative is, assuming you are posting on a PC, you can buy the original disc. It'll still work on a modern PC with a patch, these were the days before DRM or digital distribution. It comes on a CD-Rom that uses a CD-key on the case. So if you buy a PC copy from ebay or so, where it goes for roughly the same price as the Remake, you can play it on a modern PC without problems.

Also, if you somehow have access to a Japanese playstation 2, there is a much better remake on that console under the Sega Ages 2500 collection.

That isn't an option, as my PC doesn't have a disk tray. And, again, can't buy one until this pandemic clears over. And no Japanese PS2, either.

It's a 360 game tho. Those are like $60 used.

No, it was an Xbox Original release. But I know it ran horribly on the Xbox 360.

If you still have your copy of Orta, you already have the original Panzer Dragoon as it's a bonus in that game.

Unfortunately, I don't have my original copy. While I did complete the game 100%, I never realized the original was an unlockable.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up, Panzer Dragoon Orta plays poorly on the Xbox 360, where it is missing lots of graphical effects. And in europe, you can't get passed Episode 4 due to a bug.
Huh. I never played it. That sucks.

Apparently that bug was patched, tho
www.panzerdragoonlegacy.com

Microsoft Finally Patched the Episode 4 Bug for Panzer Dragoon Orta on PAL Xbox 360's

PAL Xbox 360 users who tried using the console’s backward compatibility to play Panzer Dragoon Orta may remember that the game crashed at the start of Episode 4. In a surprise move, Microsoft has now apparently patched this bug, as pointed out by...

No, it was an Xbox Original release. But I know it ran horribly on the Xbox 360.

ooooh yeah it was an OG XB game hah

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I never played it. That sucks.

Yeah, that's why it was a big deal when it released on the Xbox One, it was finally being emulated well. I actually bought a second Xbox One specifically for it (I had an Xbox One at launch, but never used it much, so I sold it). To be fair, you CAN play Orta on a US Xbox 360, it's just not great emulation unlike the Xbox One.

Maybe if we're lucky, Microsoft will release their Xbox emulator for PC, and we will FINALLY be able to play Orta on PC.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That isn't an option, as my PC doesn't have a disk tray. And, again, can't buy one until this pandemic clears over. And no Japanese PS2, either.

Fair enough, although, just saying, the pandemic might last months. If you are financial stable, you could buy a USB CD rom drive on ebay (that's what I use for PC games on disc these days) but I definitely understand how someone might want to wait otherwise.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Fair enough, although, just saying, the pandemic might last months. If you are financial stable, you could buy a USB CD rom drive on ebay (that's what I use for PC games on disc these days) but I definitely understand how someone might want to wait otherwise.

All the same, I'll keep those options as viable once this clears over. Again, thank you for taking the time for providing me some great info on playing the original Panzor Dragoon. :)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's why it was a big deal when it released on the Xbox One, it was finally being emulated well. I actually bought a second Xbox One specifically for it (I had an Xbox One at launch, but never used it much, so I sold it). To be fair, you CAN play Orta on a US Xbox 360, it's just not great emulation unlike the Xbox One.

Maybe if we're lucky, Microsoft will release their Xbox emulator for PC, and we will FINALLY be able to play Orta on PC.
You might have missed my edit but i saw that the PAL version was patched to fix that bug. Just fyi.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I loaded up the original on my Saturn just to make sure I wasn't being blinded by nostalgia goggles on how responsive and accurate they were - and nope, that game is exactly how I remember it: Rife with core gameplay mechanics that consistently work.

Yeah it's not nostalgia, PD and PDZ are both very playable today. I think at a bare minimum if they improve the reticule's ability to paint targets and the responsiveness of the 90 degree rotation, it will be a lot better. Those hopefully shouldn't be big fixes, but I suppose there could be a technical issue precluding the former.

(The lock on sound effect is so bad now though, I sure could do with them just reverting to a simulation of the original game's SE. It's basically all you hear in PD aside the music.)

There is a doc with suggestions open to the Panzer Dragoon community.

That's great, kudos to the devs.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's not nostalgia, PD and PDZ are both very playable today. I think at a bare minimum if they improve the reticule's ability to paint targets and the responsiveness of the 90 degree rotation, it will be a lot better. Those hopefully shouldn't be big fixes, but I suppose there could be a technical issue precluding the former.

(The lock on sound effect is so bad now though, I sure could do with them just reverting to a simulation of the original game's SE. It's basically all you hear in PD aside the music.)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is legitimately the best rail shmup ever made, IMO. I'm actually a huge fan of the genre, Star Fox 64 is probably my favorite and most played N64 title. I got Panzer Dragoon with my Saturn, and picked up Panzer Dragoon Zwei as soon as it came out. Also, when I bought my SNES, the very first game I got was Star Fox.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei still has tip top enemy placement and a winning formula with the outrun-style branching paths. The path system in both Zwei and Star Fox 64 are what make those games so replayable to me. Zwei has more paths than Star Fox 64.

The disc itself says it well:

Panzer-Dragoon-Zwei--J--CD-me.jpg

They weren't lying. It shows they actually took extreme pride in the game to be that confident right on the disc itself.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I really tried, but the controls and reticule are so bad. It seems like I can't invert the controls? And the controls themselves so loose. Ugh. I really want to love this since I've never played a Panzer Dragoon before.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really tried, but the controls and reticule are so bad. It seems like I can't invert the controls? And the controls themselves so loose. Ugh. I really want to love this since I've never played a Panzer Dragoon before.

Just in case you haven't been reading the thread, your complaints are mainly about problems the port itself introduced. The panzer dragoon games themselves are great, this single port just has a bunch of extra problems no other versions do.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017

Some beautiful photos from the Photo mode :)

(None of these are mine)

Last edited:

Oct 27, 2017
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is legitimately the best rail shmup ever made, IMO. I'm actually a huge fan of the genre, Star Fox 64 is probably my favorite and most played N64 title. I got Panzer Dragoon with my Saturn, and picked up Panzer Dragoon Zwei as soon as it came out. Also, when I bought my SNES, the very first game I got was Star Fox.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei still has tip top enemy placement and a winning formula with the outrun-style branching paths. The path system in both Zwei and Star Fox 64 are what make those games so replayable to me. Zwei has more paths than Star Fox 64.

The disc itself says it well:

Panzer-Dragoon-Zwei--J--CD-me.jpg

They weren't lying. It shows they actually took extreme pride in the game to be that confident right on the disc itself.
100% truth. For me, Sin and Punishment 2 is right behind it with Rez and StarFox 64 trailing.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those are some amazing pics. Photo mode seems like a perfect fit for PD games. More to do in my next run.

I was playing both original panzer dragoon games after I completed the remake because I'm in Panzer Dragoon mood and
1. Indeed Panzer Dragoon plays a lot better on Saturn than the remake.
2. Zwei is just an amazing game. Period. On of the best 3D shooting game presented for my pleasure indeed!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't PC Panzer 1 (which Xbox and PS2 are also based off) visually altered/downgraded in ways from the Saturn original? I only ever played the Saturn trilogy before this remake.