• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I've been waiting and waiting to play this, but my wife got laid off this week and we have to watch funds, so I'm sidelined until we get back to normal. Enjoy it everyone who gets to play this. I remember plowing through this when I was a kid on Saturn, when it got announced I freaked out, and I'm here now and can't justify buying it at the moment, which really sucks.
If it's any consolation I'm in the same boat. Getting laid off on the 3rd. I can't justify paying $25 for a remake when I have the original upstairs. If/when things get back to "normal", this will be something I buy.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this will be a hard one to wait on the physical edition to arrive...

I'll play my OG Saturn copy in the meantime...but damn!
Same, I want to support the release right away but I really really want the physical version of this, too. I need to save money but I'm seriously considering double dipping on this 😅

omgitsbees

Mar 26, 2020
Did not expect this to drop out of the blue like that on Nintendo Switch. Had a chance to play the first episode on my lunch break at work. So many memories flooding back from when I played this on Sega Saturn. Panzer Dragoon Orta is one of my favorite Xbox games, and that also has the original Panzer Dragoon, so it is going to be fun to do a comparison.

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI
I'm in for a physical copy when pre-orders start tomorrow morning. I'm not super fond of rail shooters, but I did enjoy both this one and Zwei, so I'm buying both and hoping that they do well enough that Saga also gets a remake. I'm lucky enough to own a US copy of PDS for the Saturn, but it would pretty nifty to have a Switch remake with updated graphics.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
How's the music compared to the original? That's going to be a big focus of mine.

I'll most likely grab it this evening.

Oct 31, 2017
Wait... The remastered soundtrack was announced earlier this month and they're planning to include it via a patch ?

Between that and the gyro controls, It sounds like this was rushed to market for some reason :P

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Downloading now, what a surprise to see this OT after coming home from work. Planning on getting the LR special edition, too. Must support this game so we get Zwei and Azel/Saga (I honestly care more about Zwei, it was probably my most played single player game on Saturn).

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'll give it some time to see how updates shake out, but I might wait for the exclusivity to run its course. I'd *really* like 60fps Panzer Dragon.

The direct having 60fps footage really irks me.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Will probably pick this up since I love this series and it's looking better now to me than it did at first reveal. I'm playing Persona 5 Royal now (got an early code) so I might wait until a sale.

This also reminds me that I picked up a copy of Star Fox 0 a few months ago and haven't tried it yet.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I know. I just sat at the menu and let it wash over me. Then my toddler came in and started dancing/flying to the music, pretending to be a dragon. It was a beautiful moment till she started spitting fire (saliva) on the ground.
Lol!

I was listening to the OST on YouTube and decided I want to own it physical, looking around on internet. Suddenly I remembered: "didn't I...?"

...yup!
panzer22kqc.jpg

Had the vinyl OST already but fogot about it lol!

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
What a nice surprise, this is actually a very decent remake ^_^

I'm a big fan of the original and wasn't very excited about this because it looked cheap and uninspired when it was revealed, but the final game looks way better. It feels faithful to the original, but still a bit more modern when it comes to the controls and overall feel.

Here's the opening movie:

Performance could be better, but it's very playable!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
This was a day1 previously.

but no gyro (yet), 30 fuckin fps with dips and 25€ means I'll wait.

30fps with dips on this kind of game means thar I really need a demo, otherwise I won't feel confident spending that kind of cash. And I love how the Switch made demos so prominent again, and more and more are coming out so it means pubs are seeing positive returns on the cost of making one.

plus it's a Forever Entertainment release, it'll be 5€ in 6 months. Too bad, I wanted to support it day1.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do not get why they just threw the game up on the eShop today with little PR between its original reveal and now. Did the re-release of Orta sell that well?

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Grrrrr I'm so conflicted. Should I get this now for Switch or wait for a possibly better Xbox One X version? Will other platforms be 60fps?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to go back and play the Saturn version again, because either my skills have disintegrated or its almost bloody impossible to dodge attacks later in the game... stage 4 is bad enough with attacks that feel almost impossible to dodge, but stage 5 is even worse - its a mix of not knowing who is attacking me and where the enemies are - the newer background in stage 5 especially (but also stage 2 and 3) have enemies that can completely blend into the backgrounds and makes it almost impossible to see them... I legit can't avoid attacks in stage 5 and have no idea what I'm doing wrong (I can basically 100% stages 1-3)

Can't say I'm bowled over by the remake - the best thing is the soundtrack but that's because its the one thing unchanged... I'll wait for a patch while I replay the Saturn version to try and figure out either what I'm doing wrong or what the remake is doing wrong.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
the OST being the original & bringing an option later does sound rushed, but kinda nice too

Eh, I'll give it some time to see how updates shake out, but I might wait for the exclusivity to run its course. I'd *really* like 60fps Panzer Dragon.

The direct having 60fps footage really irks me.

if it's any consolation, i think orta remains the only time we saw that (well, i never got to play the PS2 AGES release)

Kind of fitting it's a surprise launch. Just like the back in 1995 ;-)

oh man, deep cut!
can't express how sad i was playing VF on a kiosk at EB & hearing it'd be $400 too...and damn, nobody was as surprised as KB and TRU, haha

I just realized the 25th Anniversary was on March 10! :D

yeah! almost perfect timing

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'm really not very impressed, the basis of the original is still there but so much of what made it visually distinct is lost. The opening used to feel like you were soaring through an endless ocean with little but crumbling ruins and their reflections to guide your path

The remake clutters this ocean with lots of needless background material and for some reason the iconic reflections are completely gone

And why isn't the aiming reticule 3D? It layers ontop of the dragon and looks super cheap.
Image682.jpg

I mean the game's still Panzer Dragoon so there's fun to be had but the original is so much better artistically imo. I can't see this standing the test of time.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm really not very impressed, the basis of the original is still there but so much of what made it visually distinct is lost. The opening used to feel like you were soaring through an endless ocean with little but crumbling ruins and their reflections to guide your path

The remake clutters this ocean with lots of needless background material and for some reason the iconic reflections are completely gone

And why isn't the aiming reticule 3D? It layers ontop of the dragon and looks super cheap.
Image682.jpg

I mean the game's still Panzer Dragoon so there's fun to be had but the original is so much better artistically imo. I can't see this standing the test of time.

I think it's impossible to top the original. The art style worked really, really well at the time, but when you go Full HD, 4K, whatever with it, you can't keep the beautiful minimalism of that beast. You need to add lots of detail and the magic is gone. That's my take on it, so I'm fine with the new visuals. I see it as an "update", not an "upgrade".

The slow, dreamlike atmosphere of the original is also hard to convey in a modern game. Most people would probably find the original PD a bit boring, and you can tell the remake is a bit more action-focused. It's faster, and even in the opening, they ditch some clever camera angles that added tension and some slow-motion sequences present in the original in favor of a more agile and "actiony" approach.

Of course, whether or not that's a good thing is a matter of opinion. In fact, I also prefer the original when it comes to the art and atmosphere. That said, I think this is the right approach for a remake.

And yeah, the reticule is suuuuuper bad.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a nice surprise, this is actually a very decent remake ^_^

I'm a big fan of the original and wasn't very excited about this because it looked cheap and uninspired when it was revealed, but the final game looks way better. It feels faithful to the original, but still a bit more modern when it comes to the controls and overall feel.

Here's the opening movie:

Performance could be better, but it's very playable!

Yeah, surprising how much more faithful it looks! Frame rate is a bit disappointing. This should be gorgeous in 4k60.

OP
OP
SirNinja

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Looks like you can indeed go through the entire game on Easy. (TBH, I totally forgot that was even a thing in the original game.)

Some more random notes:
  • The new environmental detail is sometimes nice, but sometimes it also works against the game. It's harder to see enemies approaching through all the new structures and foliage. As with most PD games, you have to pretty much keep one eye on that radar at all times.
  • The final boss was a total pushover, whereas the boss of chapter 4 outright killed me. (Yes, on Easy. It's...been a while.) There's not too much feedback to let you know that you're supposed to shoot his "arms" with the gun.
  • Several levels end with the Dark Dragon just casually flying up to yours and then flying away. Yes, I know this is how it was in the 1995 version, but still...
  • You get Credits after beating levels. I thought they'd go towards unlocking stuff after several playthroughs, but it looks like they function more like arcade "continue" credits. There's a part of me that's no longer used to game design from 25+ years ago.
  • The design for the health bars is pretty slick. Seems like an attempt to copy both Saga's and Orta's interface. (Both are very good things to copy from.)
  • I'm very tempted to go around looking around levels with the new Photo Mode next run. Several places are packed with detail; the Imperial dig site (Episode 3) in particular reminds me of the first Episode from Orta now. Wonder if there's some Easter Eggs to be found.
  • I forgot how fast some of these Episodes played back in the day. Episode 4 and especially 6 barely let up at all.
  • Speaking of Episode 6, I don't remember the Imperial City looking so...apocalyptic? (Then again, the original name for the stage's music track was "The Imperial District Goes Up In Flames", so I guess I can't fault them for depicting quite a bit of destruction there.)
  • The short music tracks not looping was forgivable in 1995; it's annoying here. The extended credits in particular are not handled too well. The credits theme finishes, then just starts again, and then there's not enough credits for it to play through a second time so it just abruptly cuts off. I'm very much looking forward to Saori Kobayashi's new tracks, especially if they're actually looped correctly.
  • Despite a lot of gripes, I'm still pleasantly surprised with how this turned out overall. The future's looking bright, too: PD2 Zwei is a much-improved sequel to this game in virtually every way, and I can't wait to see how that remake turns out.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Image682.jpg

That does look weird. I don't think previous games were like that.

My bigger question with the screenshots is what's with the strong chromatic aberration effect?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
That does look weird. I don't think previous games were like that.

My bigger question with the screenshots is what's with the strong chromatic aberration effect?
Previous games indeed weren't like that, cursor had 3D depth
The dragon also has a distracting bouncing animation every time it flaps its wings whereas the original was largely static, it just gets in the way and makes movement feels a bit chaotic

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Did they add saves to this remake or do you need to beat the game in one sitting?

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
Did they add saves to this remake or do you need to beat the game in one sitting?
It gives a message that your progress won't be saved if you quit after finishing an episode, but then it lets you continue where you left off, so...not sure why that message is in there.

What a great feeling to play a vintage Sega game that isn't yet another Genesis collection or more Sonic nonsense!

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my first run on normal. I liked the game a lot even if just because I have a comfortable way to play this classic in a modern system (emulator devices aside) I think art style is a lot better in the original (I really miss the reflections in the first level) but later episodes on this remake do look great.

Final boss was on the easy side. I remember I had a lot of problems with it back in the day.

Bring Zwei now.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Is zwei gonna be this year? I really hope they dont change too much (maybe 60 fps but not a deal breaker.)

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
I never really played the Saturn game and got through Orta but damn I suck at this.
I can't seem to the get the control down, it is either too laggy or too fast.
It seems kinda slow.
Will buy all of them so we get Saga anyway.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Is the original Sega Saturn version of this game included and unlockable in some way? It would seem like an easy bonus to include, though perhaps it would be harder to achieve than I thought.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Other minor nitpick: I wish all of the facebuttons were mapped to shoot so that you could wiggle your thumb like on the Saturn originals to shoot hyper fast.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The future's looking bright, too: PD2 Zwei is a much-improved sequel to this game in virtually every way, and I can't wait to see how that remake turns out.

There's a good bundle of moments in Zwei that I'm pretty excited to see another interpretation of. That first big gliding moment is among the top of the list.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's impossible to top the original. The art style worked really, really well at the time, but when you go Full HD, 4K, whatever with it, you can't keep the beautiful minimalism of that beast. You need to add lots of detail and the magic is gone.
I don't think this is true. Look at Death Stranding - the game world is very minimalist and "empty", but it works. The dev team for this remake just didn't have the artistic vision to make minimalism look good in HD.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
First impressions are pretty mixed

The art
- they haven't entirely whiffed here surprisingly, but when they miss they miss hard. Some areas actually have merits, like level 3 which feels now like the first level from Orta. And the sand worms are well done. The first level is basically a total loss though. Who asked for turning these visually spare ocean ruins into this train wreck?
- way, way, waaaaaaay too oversaturated and contrasty. If they toned those two aspects down, it would go a loooong way towards helping them out. At least give some kind of slider.

Visual fidelity
- I don't expect 60fps with Panzer - especially given the original is sub 30fps a lot - so I'm not put off by that but the framerate feels very uneven for a modern game. There's also a lot of shadow flickering and noticeable pop in too.

Control
- Here's the biggest problem. It feels a bit more sluggish than the original, which is correctable in the menu. But the big issue is painting targets with lock on is much more fussy... basically only occurs when you nail them with the smallest square in the cursor. This really hurts the whole feel of the game. I play the original regularly, it is definitely off.

Sound
- using the original score unaltered is wise, it's flawless and one of the best OSTs in the history of the medium
- the new lock on sound is so bad. The original is the subtle little digital satisfying ding, and this is just an overpowering chunky mess. It seems finicky to complain about but if you're playing PD, you are locking on basically all the time.

I didn't expect them to nail it, and they haven't at all. I'm most disappointed by the lock on sound and feel. That's the whole experience, don't fuck that up. Ultimately I'm happy to have more Panzer though and I just think of this as basically an indie cover band trying their best. I'd rather another team took over for Zwei given this performance, but hopefully they can make some major changes. I really don't think they should lay their hands on Saga though.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
First impressions are pretty mixed

The art
- they haven't entirely whiffed here surprisingly, but when they miss they miss hard. Some areas actually have merits, like level 3 which feels now like the first level from Orta. And the sand worms are well done. The first level is basically a total loss though. Who asked for turning these visually spare ocean ruins into this train wreck?
- way, way, waaaaaaay too oversaturated and contrasty. If they toned those two aspects down, it would go a loooong way towards helping them out. At least give some kind of slider.

Visual fidelity
- I don't expect 60fps with Panzer - especially given the original is sub 30fps a lot - so I'm not put off by that but the framerate feels very uneven for a modern game. There's also a lot of shadow flickering and noticeable pop in too.

Control
- Here's the biggest problem. It feels a bit more sluggish than the original, which is correctable in the menu. But the big issue is painting targets with lock on is much more fussy... basically only occurs when you nail them with the smallest square in the cursor. This really hurts the whole feel of the game. I play the original regularly, it is definitely off.

Sound
- using the original score unaltered is wise, it's flawless and one of the best OSTs in the history of the medium
- the new lock on sound is so bad. The original is the subtle little digital satisfying ding, and this is just an overpowering chunky mess. It seems finicky to complain about but if you're playing PD, you are locking on basically all the time.

I didn't expect them to nail it, and they haven't at all. I'm most disappointed by the lock on sound and feel. That's the whole experience, don't fuck that up. Ultimately I'm happy to have more Panzer though and I just think of this as basically an indie cover band trying their best. I'd rather another team took over for Zwei given this performance, but hopefully they can make some major changes. I really don't think they should lay their hands on Saga though.
I know a year ago when it was unveiled they got a ton of slack on the first levels color palette being nothing like the original game and they said they were taking that feedback very seriously. It looks like they did a small amount of improvement, but to me the color is not right at all. It needs a blue sky and clear blue water. They didn't listen to the feedback.