• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those scans are beautiful. Also I laughed at how Saga was already commanding big ebay prices even back then. Still nowhere near as bad as it is now though XD

So tempted to get that re-issued Duke controller to play this in super nostalgic fashion...

I mean, I'm personally tempted to get the Duke re-issue anyway, just because I do like that controller for FPS games and the light up/LCD logo is pretty dope, but it'd be especially nostalgic for me to play it that way. :p

I know the in-game shows the Xbox S controller but I still used the Duke for almost everything that didn't heavily use the dpad back in the OG days. I have long, skinny fingers so it generally felt more comfortable to hold.

Careful there, a lot of people of puny-hand people are going to jump on you for that and tell you that you have bad taste ;)

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
What score did they give Panzer Dragoon Saga ?

Got a 9 in issue 57 according to this site that tracks all the games that got a 9 or 10..
https://levelonehundredblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/16/edge-magazine-review-scores-database/

I couldn't get EDGE scans for Panzer Dragoon Saga, but I managed to get Next Generation's Alpha preview and review.

jDmIRBb.jpg
jwTo1sa.jpg
KgUabh5.jpg

V49Ozdm.jpg

Last edited:

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
What score did they give Panzer Dragoon Saga ?
A Nine. No issue with that score tbh I thought it was fair. PSO on the Dreamcast was the SEGA game that really should have got a 10 out 10, the review ever read like a 10. Also, EDGE review of Exhumed was a joke and to call it a Doom clone set in Egypt Just told one, how little EDGE actually played of the game

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, I bought an entire Xbox One for this. I haven't played Orta in a long, long time. Orta was what got me to buy an original Xbox, too. The first games I got for my oXbox were Dead to Rights, Halo, and Orta.

Does the original Panzer Dragoon work on the Xbox One? I haven't unlocked it yet. I'm having so much fun. I had forgotten how much additional content Orta had.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, I bought an entire Xbox One for this. I haven't played Orta in a long, long time. Orta was what got me to buy an original Xbox, too. The first games I got for my oXbox were Dead to Rights, Halo, and Orta.

Does the original Panzer Dragoon work on the Xbox One? I haven't unlocked it yet. I'm having so much fun. I had forgotten how much additional content Orta had.

It does. Still runs at the original resolution though.

Shots are taking forever to upload for some reason.
https://i.imgur.com/Iy3Icch.png
Iy3Icch.png

ag7boMo.png

As you can see, it is very blurry just like it was, and it runs at the same framerate as far as I can tell. Still, it's a way to play the game reasonably faithfully at least without tracking down a saturn.

Oct 25, 2017

It does, but the resolution doesn't scale up - which is odd, since it's not being emulated, maybe they didn't bother since... well, the original Panzer Dragoon probably wouldn't look that much better no matter the resolution.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's not enhanced at all so it looks like the blurry version playing on the original Xbox.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saga 2 is the next Shenmue 3/FFVII remake. Microsoft or Sony would be smart to partner with Sega to produce that as a second party next-gen title.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saga 2 is the next Shenmue 3/FFVII remake. Microsoft or Sony would be smart to partner with Sega to produce that as a second party next-gen title.

As much as I love Panzer Dragoon as a series and Saga, that won't be happening. There is nowhere near the nostalgia or attachment to Saga as there is to FF7 or Shenmue. The run of Saga stateside is somewhere around 10,000 copies if I remember correctly, that's not really worth a huge investment.

Feb 6, 2018

As much as I would love to see Saga 2, I don't think it's ever going to happen. Final Fantasy 7 have massive followings whereas very few people actually played Saga. Whatever small chance there was I think would have been killed by the critical and community reception of Crimson Dragon.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
tfRrouX.jpg

screenshotted this azel artwork in 4K and cropped out the black bars. not sure if there are higher res scans of it online, but here ya go.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Can't buy this game. Got all sort of service issues on web store and on my XBO.
I wonder if changing regions will affect my current games library.

Nov 8, 2017
Nice!

Now, I did not know the framerate was that low on Xbox 360.

C7z8ORA.jpg

He might have had an issue with his 360. At least on og Xbox, the game ran at stable 60fps. But 360 emulation was not perfect, we could see this in DF retro of ShenMue2 so I'd like to see DF do us something on Orta..

The run of Saga stateside is somewhere around 10,000 copies if I remember correctly, that's not really worth a huge investment

That's exactly why we first need a remake of SAGA. Its creator has ideas for a potential remake. New generations need to experience this adventure. How can you make conclusions on the financial viability of the game when it has been released in such a dark time for SEGA when its image was degraded (I remember everybody making fun of the Saturn when I was at school, no retailer wanted to sell the console anymore so not surprising the game got no attention and did not sell despite the GREAT media reviews), and also with little marketing support.
Facts are
the game sells for +$600 on US ebay,
the media reviews were fantastic,
20 years later we still praise the game,
we had a re-arranged album to celebrate its 20th Anniversary and this album is doing good.

These are facts. The rest: saying it wouldn't do good is pure speculation.

It would do good, as long as it is released multiplatform (or timed exclusive at worse).
RPG sell. Good RPGs sell even more. And fans want the series back. Remake or a new episode, the series has potential. And those who believe in the series and/or would like to see it in a modern form should join us. Even if you have never played Panzer Dragoon Saga before.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
My first time playing it, kinda. I remember renting it not long after release, I believe, and having no idea what to expect and it never clicking with me.

This time it clicked with me instantly. Wouldn't mind a upscaled/remastered port of the first three, but that's probably asking for way too much considering everything that's been said about those games.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tfRrouX.jpg

screenshotted this azel artwork in 4K and cropped out the black bars. not sure if there are higher res scans of it online, but here ya go.
Beautiful, thanks. There is definitely one buried somewhere on someone's harddrive. I'm ok with this lower res version though

The chances of a Saga remake or sequel are slim to none at this point. I'd even say the chances of a Orta sequel are slim as well. Crimson Dragon unfortunately didn't do all that well and Star Fox Zero bombed hard on a console that was already doing badly. The chances of an on rails shooter getting made these days is a lot less and no one probably wants to get around to remaking Saga or making a sequel to it when on the surface the fanbase for the franchise seems like a small cult following

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
ok, i take it back, the final boss is hard lol. i can manage the first two forms without taking a hit, but form 3 is rip for me

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever small chance there was I think would have been killed by the critical and community reception of Crimson Dragon.

Just like Valkyria Revolution killed the chances of Valkyria Chronicles 4? If anything, this should send a message to Sega and everybody else: focus on the good stuff. Spiritual sequels and spinoffs that completely miss the point are not the right way to revive a series with an enduring fan following.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just like Valkyria Revolution killed the chances of Valkyria Chronicles 4? If anything, this should send a message to Sega and everybody else: focus on the good stuff. Spiritual sequels and spinoffs that completely miss the point are not the right way to revive a series with an enduring fan following.

I thought 4 was already in pre-production when revolution was being made?

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Playing on a Xbox One X emulating a Xbox (1) game which is emulating a PC port of a Saturn game. Thank you MS for your dedication to BC. <3

Love it!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He might have had an issue with his 360. At least on og Xbox, the game ran at stable 60fps. But 360 emulation was not perfect, we could see this in DF retro of ShenMue2 so I'd like to see DF do us something on Orta..

360 emulation of Panzer Dragoon Orta has always been notoriously bad, even back when the 360 BC emulation first launched. In europe, Orta was literally unplayable -- it'd crash after a couple of missions, and never got fixed AFAIK. In the US, it ran at well below 60 FPS constantly, and sometimes would dip very, very low, and a lot of shader effects weren't emulated and thus the game looked really off at parts.

Which is a big reason why I went out and bought an Xbox One for this. Beat the main campaign last night and it was just as I remembered it. Xbox One BC emulation of oXbox is way, way superior to the 360 BC emulation from my measure, at least wrt Orta. Like night and freaking day for me.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Xbox needs more Panzer Dragoon. Someone go to Redmond and tell Phil Spencer to buy Sega, or at least fund them to remake Saga. It would more than make up for killing Scalebound.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They funded a shitty Panzer Dragoon successor rail shooter, and funded an edgelord tech demo money pit with Scalebound. They still need a big JRPG.

They should have thrown money at Sega years ago to get a Saga remake. They should still throw money at acquiring Sega for the legacy platforms anyway, get Saturn & Dreamcast games lined up on their service, and finally have a studio presence in Japan.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They funded a shitty Panzer Dragoon successor rail shooter, and funded an edgelord tech demo money pit with Scalebound. They still need a big JRPG.

They should have thrown money at Sega years ago to get a Saga remake. They should still throw money at acquiring Sega for the legacy platforms anyway, get Saturn & Dreamcast games lined up on their service, and finally have a studio presence in Japan.

The people who made the Panzer Dragoon games aren't at Sega anymore.

Meanwhile, those same people actually did make Crimson Dragon.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm aware of that. I'm talking Xbox getting the old games, and picking up other Sega studios that don't go off to make garbage like Crimson Dragon.

I'm sure Atlus is capable of making a sequel.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ok, i take it back, the final boss is hard lol. i can manage the first two forms without taking a hit, but form 3 is rip for me
I don't even remember what the third form does, I just nuked the piss out of it when I got there. I know he does the loud lockon that form 2 does (which you avoid the same way) and the tail swipes (which you also avoid the same way) but I didn't notice anything else? Either way just berserk him with the Heavy or Standard wings. His health pool is SIGNIFICANTLY lower in that stage.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does Sega have other heavily JRPG focused studios that still make good games? The teams making Shining and the Valkyria games are hit or miss at best. Atlus is consistent. Throw a big budget at them and let them do their thing.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
When I first played Crimson Dragon around the Xbox One's launch, I wasn't too fond of it. The game felt trivial, and relatively more restricted than some on-rails shooters I've played over the last decade. Heck I even preferred Time Crisis 4 on the ps3 over it. I did like something about Crimson Dragon, though sadly it seems it won't ever be iterated on again.

When I played Orta I got more game overs than I ever have in forever! I couldn't tell you how much I was frowning last night, trying to get past the first mission.

But as I played and got to episode 3, I learned the controls and the little nuances of the game and I've been having a ton of fun. Fun that I felt was missing in Crimson Dragon.

I'm thankful this game went BC (thanks to the BC team for this!) because I don't think I'd have ever gotten around to any of the Panzer Dragoon games without playing Orta first.

I'm a believer now. We need a sequel or even a spiritual successor!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I still wish we would have seen a 'Crimson Dragon Saga'. Take those existing assets and build on from there for an RPG with the smaller scope of Saga, even play off the ending of CD and have a Groundhog Day-like mechanic to it.

I had my issues with the controls of CD (the 360 Kinect necessitating the cursor being divorced from movement hurt the game so much) but some of the art in it was top-tier. Wouldn't have minded seeing again it through a different lense.

CrimsonDragon-4.jpg

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
Crimson Dragon wasn't bad IMO. Beautiful aesthetics and good ost. Gameplay was fun for what it was. I spent about 20€ on it and did not regret it.

It's certainly no Orta but calling it irredeemable trash is a bit too much IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
I own Crimson Dragon. I should play it one of these days.

For now, I just booted Orta for the first time in over 10 years. Took me until about half way through the first mission before I remembered how to speed up / slow down. Died against the first boss because I forgot the regular wing Dragon lets your gun fire super fast.

Playing hard mode because I remember normal being too easy.
Beautiful game. Even the pre rendered scenes haven't aged / upscaled as badly as I expected.

It's so good to be back.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Sega have other heavily JRPG focused studios that still make good games? The teams making Shining and the Valkyria games are hit or miss at best. Atlus is consistent. Throw a big budget at them and let them do their thing.

The team making Valkyria games are hit or miss? Say what you will about Valkyria after Chronicles (their budgets got super slashed) but their gameplay was always tip top. And before they were known as the Sega CS3, they were known as the Sakura Wars team where they, for a decade, put out some of the most acclaimed and highly rated RPGs ever. Not to mention, this was the same crew who made Skies of Arcadia. Hell, you dig through the team and you find key members of the original Phantasy Star teams. As in, all the way back to the very first one on the SMS.

Sega CS3 has a super long history of RPG excellence and many key staff members from Sega's RPG glory years.