• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That's a perfectly valid view, but you should know it's exactly that viewpoint that causes the situation seen elsewhere with BC being largely ignored in favor of limited and more expensive individual releases.

Adding achievements is a fundamental change and expands the scope of adding a new title to a BC list to 'new project' levels.

I dunno I'm not even asking for anything super complicated. Even like, here complete this chapter, here complete the game on hard. Just like small stuff like that.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno I'm not even asking for anything super complicated. Even like, here complete this chapter, here complete the game on hard. Just like small stuff like that.
That's ... still a pretty significant amount of work. You're talking about adding new code to implement tracking metrics and functions that weren't part of the original design, and thus may require a significant amount of work to verify and check. It doesn't matter how simple the concept is if the game wasn't coded for it initially.... that's a whole new set of variables to somehow incorporate and verify they function as intended. And that requires either access to the source code, which is a whole thing, or adding an additional layer outside the top of the game to track all that, which is no small task either. Let's not even get into who would be responsible for funding, QA'ing and approving any changes -- Microsoft or the Publisher on Record -- nor contemplate what that'd mean for multiplatform games. And hey, if you're already adding new functionality and writing / localizing some new achievement text anyways, could you also fix this and add that and remove that instance... it's a real slippery slope.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to beat this game. The last boss was kicking my ass on OG Xbox lol. Will be great to revisit it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That's ... still a pretty significant amount of work. You're talking about adding new code to implement tracking metrics and functions that weren't part of the original design, and thus may require a significant amount of work to verify and check. It doesn't matter how simple the concept is if the game wasn't coded for it initially.... that's a whole new set of variables to somehow incorporate and function as intended. And that requires either access to the source code, which is a whole thing, or adding an additional layer outside the top of the game to track all that, which is no small task either. And hey, if you're already adding new functionality, could you also fix this and add that and remove that instance... it's a real slippery slope.

I mean, I get it. It's more work. But I don't know it would make it a lot more appealing. Like if I've already played the game, and then played it again on 360, having better motivation to use the feature would be nice I feel.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I get it. It's more work. But I don't know it would make it a lot more appealing. Like if I've already played the game, and then played it again on 360, having better motivation to use the feature would be nice I feel.

I hear you on the more appealing stuff, but saying "I'm not even asking for anything super complicated ... just like small stuff" really downplays what it actually entails. And work costs money, that money needs to come from somewhere -- be it Microsoft or the Publisher on Record -- and that opens up a whole new can of worms pertaining to source code access, testing, approvals and so on. That's before you get into the idea that this stuff is easily ten years old at least, so it's a real toss-up as to whether the source code, publishing contracts and original tools are easily accessible.

In short, a lot of this just wasn't considered back when the games were first released. Nowadays, there's a lot more functionality that can be exploited and manipulated post-release.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming trying to find hard copies of these OG Xbox titles in decent condition without bank account destruction is an uphill battle
The condition only has to be good enough for it to identify the disc as legit, so it can download it from the marketplace.

I have a few BC-compat discs (or hopefully soon-to-be) that aren't great, but should hopefully load well enough to download the game itself.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i want to buy this and breakdown soon. Haven't played these in ages, alongside ninja gaiden they were part of why i bought an og xbox back in 2004.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought it through the website. Did my part. Can't wait to play it again!

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Episode 2 is going to look amazing in 4K.

Game really throws you into the mix, loving it.

However, I'm going to stop and wait until tomorrow because 480p isn't very kind on the eyes.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i want to buy this and breakdown soon. Haven't played these in ages, alongside ninja gaiden they were part of why i bought an og xbox back in 2004.

I'm imagining Breakdown won't have aged as well as Orta since it was quite flawed, but that game made a big impact on me with its first person animations.. I just have to grab it.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Found a japanese physical copy for cheap in anticipation last week, never played it back in the days and can wait to try this game !

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Hopefully MS sees that there's an audience thirsty for a new Dragoon game, hell I'd take a new entry with AA budget in a heartbeat, even the infamous Crimson Dragon I kinda liked...

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully MS sees that there's an audience thirsty for a new Dragoon game, hell I'd take a new entry with AA budget in a heartbeat, even the infamous Crimson Dragon I kinda liked...

I think Crimson Dragon kinda killed that, and I'm not sure if this one could be popular enough without any of the marketing that comes with say a remaster.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can I buy XBOX BC games on the one with pre paid cards? I can't do this with 360 games so I will be sad if I coulnd't buy this game

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Crimson Dragon kinda killed that, and I'm not sure if this one could be popular enough without any of the marketing that comes with say a remaster.
ah the good old "people didn't buy or like this godawful fatally flawed half-assed effort at what looks like a bad fanmade homage to the Panzer Dragoon series, so we've determined there is not enough interest to make a legit new installment in the Panzer Dragoon series."

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
ah the good old "people didn't buy or like this godawful fatally flawed half-assed effort at what looks like a bad fanmade homage to the Panzer Dragoon series, so we've determined there is not enough interest to make a legit new installment in the Panzer Dragoon series."

That's not what I'm saying at all. I don't feel that way personally. I'm just saying, a game being good isn't what gets it a sequel usually. Selling well does. Microsoft is going to look at Crimson Dragon and go oh well, nobody bought that so.

Well so normally I'd say rereleasing the old one again can sometimes demonstrate interest in another entry. Problem is with this just being a BC game with no marketing, it's probably not going to sell bonkers either.

Crimson not selling well. PDO not selling well. Series dies.

Now, is it possible by some other circumstance? Sure, but it'll need to be a pretty significant circumstance.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Dude, Crimson wasn't half-assed. It tried to flesh out the formula with quite a few new ideas, purchasable items, dragons and various routes on each level. If anything it did a lot of expanding on the formula without changing it into a completely new thing. It looked very good for it's release too.

It did not, however, have the Panzer Dragoon branding which might have made it overlooked by many.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I'm saying at all. I don't feel that way personally.
It's what I'm saying. We've just seen the same story play out too many times now. It's the classic Capcom Test bullshit.
Dude, Crimson wasn't half-assed. It tried to flesh out the formula with quite a few new ideas, purchasable items, dragons and various routes on each level. If anything it did a lot of expanding on the formula without changing it into a completely new thing. It looked very good for it's release too.

It did not, however, have the Panzer Dragoon branding which might have made it overlooked by many.
Crimson Dragon's bad art direction and graphics (and 30 FPS framerate) made it actually look and play worse than Orta. Also the heavy emphasis on purchasing items by spending a substantial amount of time in some of the most ugly menus I've seen in my life didn't help much. Going through those menus was worse than doing so in a Final Fantasy iOS remake.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
I've just bought it! Never played it but I've been interested in discovering more with all the buzz it's seem to be having amongst the most demanded games for the BC program.

And with it being a classic sega IP & that I played the Phantom Dust remaster spontaneously last year and it ended up being my favourite game of that year (from the same director) so I know I'm in for a good time! Thanks era + sega + ms!

Last edited:

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It was a horrible game. I don't know how anyone can defend it. Poor controls, poor game design, poor art direction. I will agree the graphics and music wasn't bad but everything else was just horrible. Giving people the option to have some sort of classic "Panzer Dragoon" controls, would have made the game about 100 times better.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Crimson Dragon's bad art direction and graphics (and 30 FPS framerate) made it actually look and play worse than Orta.

I really liked the way it looked. I also liked the way it played, although it was not as similar to Panzer Dragoon as I'd initially hoped it would be. I didn't like the grind required to unlock and level up some of the dragons, and how they locked a few behind limited-time-only challenges (remember those? what's the last Xbox One game that had them?), but I can't say that I had anything against the game's menus. If that's the biggest problem you can think of, then I'm sure you're well aware you're overreacting.

It was not a bad game, just not a great one either. And it's not Panzer Dragoon.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
On the Crimson Dragon note I think there's good stuff there, and would have loved to see the game without the 360/kinect baggage, but the control scheme was a huge bummer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Back on topic - was the original release 60 fps? Its been so long since I played it I have no idea. PS2 had a decent number of 60 fps games but not sure about XBox and this game. But for sure 4K(or close to it anyway) at 60 fps now? That's just outright nasty, and damn incredible. :D

Yup, was a pretty solid 60fps too so it'll sing on the newer consoles.

Last edited:

Ap3x

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Man, you guys are really hyping me up, maybe I should start my Xbone again and not just for netflix.
Loved PDO on the OG Xbox, just a great game, nothing less.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Man, you guys are really hyping me up, maybe I should start my Xbone again and not just for netflix.
Loved PDO on the OG Xbox, just a great game, nothing less.

It's strange to looking forward to coming home to a Panzer Dragon "remaster".

But it's something I would like to get used to!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Crimson Dragoon hurt the series so much. It is used so often as an exemple to try to prove there is no future for Panzer Dragoon.

I've gotta say, the service-model design built into it (forcing some grinding) held it back, but they actually had a good, appropriately strange ending. It's a game I actually look back on fondly (and wingmen were neat). If they hadn't made those day-0 changes though, I wouldn't have liked it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotta say, the service-model structure built around it (forcing some grinding) was a real annoyance, but they actually had a good, appropriately strange ending. It's a game I actually look back on fondly (and wingmen were neat). If they hadn't made those day-0 changes though, I wouldn't have liked it.

I felt it was a bit too crazy for a game with little story, but as a premise for an RPG sequel (especially if mechanics could be based around that ending concept) it could have been neat.

If only that was the case.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm going to buy this even though I've never played it. I do remember enjoying PD on the Saturn and it was pretty cool.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Already have the physical copy I bought back in like 2002 but I just bought it digitally. Gotta let MS and Sega know this series still has fans!

Hotsuma

Oct 28, 2017
Purchased it from the store since I can't find my disk at all. I'm wondering if the game will look like the original press images that were used for the OG Xbox?