• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
headercqosw.png

CnGAlyN.png

Chained… How long had it been…
Since she had been free of this dark prison?
She could not remember…

Platforms: Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Original Release - December 19th, 2002 (JPN)​
360 BC Release - April 19th, 2007​
XB1 BC Release - April 17th, 2018​
Price: $10
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital/Physical (Xbox.com purchases and Original Xbox discs)
Developer: Smilebit
Publisher: SEGA
Rendering Resolution:
OG Xbox/360 - 480p​
XB1 - 960p​
XB1X - 1920p​
Frame Rate: 60fps
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (there was underscan on the original release so something closer to 15:9 unless the XB1 version changes that)
ESRB: T
Size: 3.04 GB

You are Orta, a new and shining hope. Upon a fearsome dragon you must fight to save the world from total destruction. Fly over spectacularly hostile terrain, engage in high speed aerial combat and attack imperial strongholds with multiple weapons. The whole world is looking to you.

thegoodvcpdq.png

What is this game?
Panzer Dragoon Orta is the last entry to date in the Panzer Dragoon series. Created without the guidance of the series creator, Yukio Futatsugi, Orta was nonetheless a critically acclaimed rail shooter praised for its strong visuals, audio, gameplay and story.

How does it play?
The most mainstream point of comparison for Orta would be StarFox 64 in terms of controls. You navigate Orta and her dragon across the screen by guiding a targeting reticle with the left analogue stick. You'll use that cursor to shoot Orta's handheld weapon and paint targets for her dragon's lock on laser. The player is also responsible to watching for enemies from all around Orta by rotation the camera around her with the left and right triggers.

Do I need to have played the previous games in the series to understand the story in Orta?
No, Panzer Dragoon Orta can be seen as a standalone story. No previous knowledge of the series is required to enjoy it.

How does the dragon progression and multiple forms work?
Orta's dragon has three forms or "Wings" in the game. Switching between them is essential to tackle different enemy/boss types.

The Base Wing is the dragon's standard form and offers the Glide Attack and the largest amount of targets for the homing laser.
The Heavy Wing has a smaller amount of lock on targets and cannot glide but has a stronger attack and can aim the dragon's special berserk attack.
The Glide Wing can glide the longest but has no targeting laser and instead uses a rapid fire attack. Using the berserk attack in this form will also restore your life.

To level each Wing of your dragon you must collect Gene Bases by destroying enemies. The blue lights in the indicator at the bottom right of the screen displays how close you are leveling. Note that only the wing that gets the Gene Base will get experience. Once maxed out (Wing lvl. 5) experience will not have any further effect on that Wing.

Does this new digital release work on 360?
Yes. The digital and physical release of Panzer Dragoon Orta will run on all the consoles listed in the OP aside from the digital copy working on an OG Xbox. There was a level progression glitch in the PAL copies of the game running on a 360, but that seems to have been resolved now for both PAL discs and digital copies of the game.

Does it have achievements?
No. Like all Original Xbox BC titles there are no achievements in the game.

I heard the Original Panzer Dragoon is included in this game. Does it still work on 360 and XB1?
Can confirm the original works, it looks just like it did on the Xbox, uprezzed more so it's very soft looking.

Any other unlockables?
Yes. There is a side story campaign from the perspective of the empire and a couple standalone missions as well. There is also a series of supplemental content relating to the game such as concept art, an encyclopedia of the Panzer Dragoon history, and a bestiary.

How good is the soundtrack?
Real good.

mediaw1o3b.png

Here are some 1080p super sampled screenshots from the X, native resolution, PNG, no compression.
8xAdMVv.png

RsvwXtE.png

OVbZIrX.png

4DexRVq.png

reviews1row4.png

Metacritic: 90

IGN: 9.2
Rail shooters, unfortunately, are a dying breed. But Sega continues to put them out. Rez, for PS2 and House of the Dead III for Xbox were both good shooters. But Panzer is the best. Addictive, fun, and fantastic, this one is a true demonstration of the power of Xbox. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful game, and you won't find a better rail shooter anywhere. Panzer doesn't try to do anything more than be the best rail shooter around. It isn't trying to be better than Halo, it's not trying to be GTA: Vice City -- It's a rail shooter. And for what it is, as limiting as some gamers may find it, it's about as good as it gets.

Gamespot: 9/10
You don't need to be a fan of Sega's 8-year-old Panzer Dragoon fantasy shooter series to appreciate the outstanding Panzer Dragoon Orta. But if you were fortunate enough to have played the Panzer games for the Sega Saturn, you'll be especially thrilled with this latest installment, an Xbox exclusive developed by Sega's talented Smilebit studio that not only showcases the power of Microsoft's console, but is also one of the best traditional video game shooting experiences ever made. Panzer Dragoon Orta is surprisingly long for a single-player shooter, and it's loaded with great extra features that are sure to keep you coming back to the game's 10 diverse and challenging levels. You'll find that the game's mechanics are deceptively simple, and that there's some real depth hidden beneath the incredible good looks and fast-paced, epic action. All this adds up to an experience that every Xbox owner ought to indulge in.

GameRevolution 4.5/5
Though it belongs to the limiting genre of rail shooters, Panzer Dragoon Orta still rises up to become a great game that soars above and beyond expectations. Even as a shooter, its superior control, astounding visuals and all-around enjoyable gameplay come together for one hell of ride. I'd take this dragon for a pet anyday.

links4hona.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC this game actually ran at sub-native resolutions on Xbox. Should be a real visual treat to see a Panzer Dragoon game in HD.

I don't know if I like this game as much as Zwei but I'm ready for another playthrough.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will slip my disc into my Xbox One and dust it off when this goes live. First time since Cuphead I'll be touching the thing.

Also Conker, KOTOR and Jade Empire. Still got all those discs.

It'd be cool to get Gunvalkyrie and the Otogis next.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
It's so close. One of the classic games I always wanted to try.
Hope the original is not 360 only.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I sadly dont have a system to play this on right now but until I can fix that I am excited to see footage of this running in higher resolutions. It's one of those art styles I think will scale up nicely. Heck I even think the Saturn titles scale up well with emulation.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just for giggles, compare this to that awful Crimson Dragon game that came out when the Xbox One game launched.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it digitally even though I have it on disc and played it a bit on my 360. Last time I played an original Xbox game on my 360 it crashed and corrupted my hard drive, losing all my saves (it was Panzer Dragoon Orta). I've always had good luck with the OXbox games you can buy digitally from the store though, so I'm going to give it another shot.

My Pop just got a 4K HDR tv so I took my Xbox One X over there and all my UHD Blurays so he can mess around with it for a while. I think he might cave and get one for himself lol. He's mainly a PC gamer and he doesn't really like using controllers, but he sent me a scan of MaximumPC's recommended "upgrade of the month" a week or two ago in an email.
it was an Xbox One X

I can't wait to play it on my X when I get it back.

Just for giggles, compare this to that awful Crimson Dragon game that came out when the Xbox One game launched.

I loved that game.

edit: good think I double checked in light mode because of the damn font/color bug

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My favourite rail-shooter of all time :)

Can't wait, it looked beautiful on OG Xbox, it's going to look insane on the X.

Does anyone know if it's 16:9 like Ninja Gaiden Black?

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own 360 or One (X) and I don't have the time or will to play games on my OG Xbox but it seems that I can happily hoard more games for it in hopes that one day I'll play them improved by the power of the clou... err I mean BC.

Honestly, this is great stuff.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'll pick this game up as soon as I have some free time in my gaming schedule. True Story: Panzer Dragoon was my very first 3D game.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
In the last PD thread someone unlocked the original game on their 360, so it's assumed now that it's also in the XB1 version.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if it's 16:9 like Ninja Gaiden Black?

On my 360, It looks... weird.
It's not 4:3, but it's not quite 16:9. There are two twin black bars on the sides of my screen (edit: actually there are thinner strips of black on the top and bottom of my screen too. Still not quite 16:9 I think though).

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to experience this again in 4k.
Curious to find out if the PD1 port that is included will work.

Xbudz

Oct 27, 2017
Super excited for this.
I have no doubt that the original game will work. There's also an unlockable demo for Panzer Dragoon II.

A while back I took a 4K screenshot of the original Panzer Dragoon. I wonder how it will compare being run through the #XboxOneX.

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-089_12_12PM.png

Nov 2, 2017
I got the disc version for cheap last year before the prices went up but never got around to it. Maybe I'll give it a chance now

Nov 8, 2017
Can't wait to experience this again in 4k.
Curious to find out if the PD1 port that is included will work.

It won't exactly be 4K but damn close (1920p and not 2160p), the closest we've ever seen anyway.
Thanks OP for sharing the love for Panzer Dragoon.
And yea, we all want to know about Panzer Dragoon 1. If it is confirmed, chances are it will still run at 20fps due to the music being sync with that frame rate.
And that being part of the code, it cannot be changed through the emulation process.
I wonder if an emulation process could not mute the game, boost the frame rate, buffer the music and re-add a music layer on top of the enhanced footage but it's unlikely.

If frame rate is not improved for the bonus Panzer Dragoon 1, could we still have a resolution enhancement? It remains to be seen...

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
So cool that this is available again for new and old players alike. Hope this might be a sign that Panzer Dragoon is getting something new too.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I'd see an OT for Orta and yet here we are. I expect people to be divisive on it as rail shooters aren't for everyone.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It won't exactly be 4K but damn close (1920p and not 2160p), the closest we've ever seen anyway.
Thanks OP for sharing the love for Panzer Dragoon.
And yea, we all want to know about Panzer Dragoon 1. If it is confirmed, chances are it will still run at 20fps due to the music being sync with that frame rate.
And that being part of the code, it cannot be changed through the emulation process.
I wonder if an emulation process could not mute the game, boost the frame rate, buffer the music and re-add a music layer on top of the enhanced footage but it's unlikely.

If frame rate is not improved for the bonus Panzer Dragoon 1, could we still have a resolution enhancement? It remains to be seen...
There's the speed up code....