• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I don't care if they remake it in a cave with a box of scraps, anything that lets me finally experience Saga I'll take.

I came SO close last summer to buying a Saturn and spending a few hundred quid on a second-hand copy of Saga. Still need to play it.

Last edited:

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
This was the lost game I played a demo of at a toys r us when I was a kid, its gonna be nice to experience the whole thing

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm kind of confused about the reception of the remake of the original. I mean, I know that things were a bit rough at launch on Switch, but is there now anything about the remake that isn't as good as or better than the original? In either case, I do hope they remake Saga, as well.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm kind of confused about the reception of the remake of the original. I mean, I know that things were a bit rough at launch on Switch, but is there now anything about the remake that isn't as good as or better than the original? In either case, I do hope they remake Saga, as well.

I've played the original and the remake and I like them both. I think the remake debate comes down to art direction more than anything, since they ironed out the issues since launch.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this.

I have been waiting for a sale on the first in PS4 but it never seems to happen!

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping its out 1st half of the year. Dont think they can really get this wrong and theres always patches to fix things

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've played the original and the remake and I like them both. I think the remake debate comes down to art direction more than anything, since they ironed out the issues since launch.
If it's down to art direction, then I think I'm fine with the remake in that regard. Honestly, I think the art style of the Panzer Dragoon games was largely chosen due to the limitations of the Saturn, but I can understand it being off-putting for people to see stuff at significantly higher fidelity than would've even been attempted so many years ago. I mean, it's not as though this is the Xbox Back Compat situation of the texture detail being there and just having been previously displayed on hardware at resolutions that couldn't do the textures justice. I think it's reasonable for the overall detail to increase in a remake (or even re-release) of a game originally released on early 3D consoles.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
When you can put onto the game disk that you've created the greatest 3D shooter and no one can argue against your spitting hot facts.

f9cf2ecf-ec93-4b1d-a015-b9849e47046f.jpg

Good news, the original director of Saga dropped some hints that it may have been found.
Hahaha truth

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saga is inevitable now. Unless this sells like utter crap I guess

Saga was good looking on the Saturn but as far as I remember it was a really small scale game that only lasted about a dozen hours.

That's a tall order coming off of PD and Zwei but maybe they can handle it with some help from Sega.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i never played ii or the first one (until the remake!), so i'll pick this up. the original is great and saga is a fucking classic that everyone deserves a chance to play.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Back on the Saturn, I bought/played Zwei before the first game, mostly because of how vastly improved it was technically. Really loved it. There's a moment early on in the game that remains one of the most magical events in it for me; can't wait to experience it again. I did end up playing the original PD years later though, and adore the soundtrack. I have the remake on Switch, but haven't put much time into it. Very much looking forward to this though... more so than the original!

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
expect a 15 hour emo adventure and you are good. Not a 60 hour RPG.
thisisbait.gif

I'm glad to hear the remake got patched and that it's done well enough for Zwei to get the treatment. Saga or not, it's great to have updated versions of these classics. I really hope, though, that MegaPixel teams up with a studio like M2 to properly re-release the originals via top-quality emulation, perhaps as part of a collection for these remakes. Having the originals with some QoL and historical media alongside for context would be amazing for rounding out the project.

As someone still holding onto a physical copy of Saga (though not for long...), I really hope we get a forever-proofed re-release or faithful remake just so the game can finally enter most players' xRPG canons. It's more likely now than ever before!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The PD1 remake is in a good enough state that I trust Zwei won't have the same problems.

My only hope is they sort out the load times, because even post patch, the first remake's load times are abysmal, and it's even worse on Switch to the extent that I don't even bother booting up that version anymore. 35-40 seconds to load a level and about the same time for a retry is patently absurd for a game that small in scale.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
They also said they plan to release 4 remakes this yearx right noe they Zwei,Fear Effect, and House of the Dead 1&2 in dev

Oct 29, 2017
There are so many Saturn games stuck on that console. I can't believe only a few have come over to modern platforms. I really enjoyed PD 1 so I'm excited for this. Why did the 360 get Guardian Heroes and stuff like that didn't start rolling out more frequently?

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Yesssss!!! Zwei is not only a much better game than the first but also the best on rails shooter ever (aside from orta). The soundtrack is legendary. Can't wait to play this.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I loved both of these as a kid but I forgot how bare bones the first one was, wish I held off on buying for just this one. Still a fun time but I completely forgot the first one didn't have the evolution mechanic. Looking forward to playing this one again.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Saga was "only" 15 or 20 hours but his one of the best product sega ever produced

I mean FE seems decent enough for a On rail 1:1 remake of 1-2 hours on rail shooters

I mean the other remake that is not on rail is missing from 2017 and 100% restared after Susnshee death, and Fear Effect is old school survival horror

mute

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
I have much more attachment to the first but happy happy to read this news.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
FUCK YES, this is the one I wanted. Hopefully we get Saga soon enough as well.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
I wonder also what FE can do after if this remakes operations, if they are succesful, more Sega stuff?, going to Square to get Gex or other ips in that program like Fear Effect?

Or they can try big and get Legacy of Kein?

Last edited:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Fantastic, easily one of my favourite Sega Saturn games and pretty close to being my favourite rail shooter.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
So many Saturn memories playng this game just for the soundtrack and the world dripping with originality.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The boss battles in this game are mad intense. The final boss theme is *chefs kiss* perfection. Look forward to hearing a newly arranged soundtrack for this too, wonder if Saori is doing another one(?)

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The remake of 1 was good enough for me to be looking forward to this one a lot. The new graphics felt off in places but it played well. Zwei alongside Orta are my favourite games of this type by some distance and hopefully through the experience of remaking the original they can do this justice.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017

I'd agree with this. After playing the patched version, my only concern is how they choose to tackle the art direction. They should look to Orta as well as Zwei for guidance on this.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from a ~4k version on Xbox through Backwards Compatibility, no.
I really wish that SEGA would port Orta.
I'm tempted to get an Xbox Series X just for backwards compatibility, but the selection of games is not quite there yet. There's a lot of original Xbox games I'd still be missing.
I wish I had never sold my system, and could have had an HDMI-modded one now.

I wonder if that might be too ambitous, but it'll be so great to get the 'Saturn's ff vii', the source code is lost.
It was recently suggested that they may have found the source code for the game.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
Zwei is possible still in my top 10 list of all time. Music, visuals, control...it's all so damn good.

Very excited for the remake.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my copy of Saga. Seeing all the replies here makes me think I should do a playthrough thread with screens and maybe videos. But I don't have a capture card... If I install retroarch on the series x, can it play the game perfectly?

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Didn't bother with the first because PD1 ain't that great. Zwei is a day 1 buy though, it's so good. The tagline on the disc is no lie.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wish they would include the original Saturn game as a bonus. But I guess that ship has sailed, considering the first remake didn't do that.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish that SEGA would port Orta.

Sounds like there could still be some kind of split relationship for Orta between Microsoft and Sega. I recall an interview with the PD:Remake producer where they said they didn't have access to that game and they didn't know what that deal was, that only Sega and Microsoft would know.

But yeah, a port of that game would be nice for more folk to give it a shot. It's a fantastic title!

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I wish they would include the original Saturn game as a bonus. But I guess that ship has sailed, considering the first remake didn't do that.

Yeah, this is my only complaint about the remake. I haven't played the original, so it would have been nice to be able to compare the experiences, even if the OG game was just presented in its original resolution and aspect ratio with borders or whatever. No need to do a remake and a remaster. Just let me see what people are nostalgic for.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Absolutely. Most critic was dealt with, i still think the new art direction looses some of that dreamy atmosphere 90ties cgi kinda had, and especially PD.

also: i honestly thought that the price was a bit steep for this game.
But if you prefere the new art direction there is no reason to not prefere the new one.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I still have my copy of Saga. Seeing all the replies here makes me think I should do a playthrough thread with screens and maybe videos. But I don't have a capture card... If I install retroarch on the series x, can it play the game perfectly?
Probably, assuming that the Beetle Saturn core runs as well on Series X specs as it does on most modern PCs. It seems to run well in Kronos and YabaSanshiro, too, with higher internal resolutions and other graphics enhancements, but I doubt those cores are ready for console use yet.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the first on PS4 and got all trophies, I'll buy Zwei too.

Not a huge fan of the rails games though always loved the art and music. I'll support them all on the faintest chance of a Saga remaster though....

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Aside from a ~4k version on Xbox through Backwards Compatibility, no.

Wooooow this looks great. :3

It could easily pass as an early or mid-budget PS4/X1 game, but it's literally 2 generations older. Insane!

Almost makes me want to buy an X1X just to play my copy.... lol. I never finished it due to not gitting gud 😭

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wooooow this looks great. :3

It could easily pass as an early or mid-budget PS4/X1 game, but it's literally 2 generations older. Insane!

Almost makes me want to buy an X1X just to play my copy.... lol. I never finished it due to not gitting gud 😭

The old IGN review put it best: Scribble out the perfect 10 for the graphics and place an 11.

Orta seriously looked a generation ahead. It's mind boggling.