• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
LOL at the fan art in the end credits. Cute.

Normal was a bit easier than I remember, but still fun. Atmosphere is a different for sure but that is incredibly hard to recreate. All the menu and 2d art is lovely, and I'll be interested to try out the OG soundtrack when it releases. I hope so much that this does well enough for Zwei, if only to keep around interest in the series.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Pretty damn enjoyable with my hori split pad. I don't feel any of the magic that I did when it came out obviously but this is a really darn good remake. It's a total fucking tease though that really makes me want a Saga remake.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
While it doesn't have the magic of the chunky 3D quads from the saturn days, I actually like the new art for what it is and am very interested to see Zwei and Saga in this style. Here's hoping we get more remakes -- I will easily buy every variant of these games multiple times. I already have it on my wishlist on Steam and intend to pick up the LRG release as well.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I was playing the original on Saturn a few weeks ago, and I still think the visuals hold up. The art style and aesthetics of the game really elevate the look of the game beyond what the Saturn was capable of. It's a lot like Silent Hill in that regard.

Well said, that's a perfect point of comparison. A lot of people dismiss the 32bit era but games like Silent Hill, the Panzer Dragoon series, Vagrant Story, NiGHTS and MGS have a timeless quality to their visuals that still look great on modern TVs with the right equipment and cables.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I knew someone would point this out. Obviously I mean the fixed version.

the update never fully fixed the controls, I can't get anywhere close to my records with the new loop controls. You're too sluggish in the NiGHTS remake.

But even ignoring the controls, like half of Christmas NiGHS is omitted in the remake.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played the first two levels and... I dunno. I need to boot up my emulator to feel them side by side. I think I would have rather had a remastered port of Orta. I think it does not look good and the frame rate is pretty rough, and the controls feel way off. I love that look of the first level in the original, and this new version feels nothing like that. And what's up with the blaster sound? And the music is way worse than the original orchestral

Sounds like my experience from Gamescom. Seems like they weren't confident about the game themselves with the way they released it.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I just played the original game a few days ago on my Saturn and I didn't really enjoy it at all. Maybe because I have 0 nostalgia on this game.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Blah I really want this but gotta hold off on some purchases for a while. What a shadow drop though!

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Usually im the one not happy with "modern artstyle" variants, caus they miss some of the flair and feel (OoT 3D, to bright)

But here it seems im not the only one. Even John (GameXplain) made a video, and pointed things out i thought...
The watter, it diesnt "pop" in this dreamy way on level 1.
  • the color, to warm,
  • to much details, -Y distracting
  • missing reflections in the water
  • lack of 90ties cgi blue haze (draw distance), which removes a bit of the dream like atmosphere (at least in my dreams, things that are not in my attention "dissapear", and new stuff comes "from nowhere"...)
Its a reinterpretation, but since a biiig part of this came is the unique atmosphere...

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
It hurts that this is getting a negative reception. Sounds like I need to wait until other platforms get released. Until then I'll just play the original through Orta that I unlocked a long time ago. Orta is amazing on the One X btw!

Oct 31, 2017
LOL at the fan art in the end credits. Cute.

Normal was a bit easier than I remember, but still fun. Atmosphere is a different for sure but that is incredibly hard to recreate. All the menu and 2d art is lovely, and I'll be interested to try out the OG soundtrack when it releases. I hope so much that this does well enough for Zwei, if only to keep around interest in the series.

The game was shipped with the OG OST ! :P

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The game was shipped with the OG OST ! :P
Yeah I got that completely backwards. I am just so used to these types of releases defaulting to the new soundtrack and the original being an extra thing that I assumed that was the case here too. 2nd, 3rd time through things started sounding more familiar :P

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Played the first two levels and... I dunno. I need to boot up my emulator to feel them side by side. I think I would have rather had a remastered port of Orta. I think it does not look good and the frame rate is pretty rough, and the controls feel way off. I love that look of the first level in the original, and this new version feels nothing like that. And what's up with the blaster sound? And the music is way worse than the original orchestral

Playing orta on a one X is basically a remastered port.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I have not played the original, but the last game I played was Orta on Game Pass (original X Box1) and I certainly don't like this any less.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I got that completely backwards. I am just so used to these types of releases defaulting to the new soundtrack and the original being an extra thing that I assumed that was the case here too. 2nd, 3rd time through things started sounding more familiar :P

Yeah, it's pretty weird for this game to be released without the remixed OST which was announced earlier this month.

Between this and the lack of gyro controls, it feels like a rushed release.