• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit. Even with the slightly concerning impressions, I am absolutely support this to send the message to Sega that I want more PD. How about just a properly done collection, done in the vein of the NiGHTS HD release?

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Oof at these impressions. I actually can't find my PD1 disc (or my Saturn, though I still have Zwei) so was kind of looking forward to playing this on a modern machine. Was hoping for 60 fps at the least

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit. Even with the slightly concerning impressions, I am absolutely support this to send the message to Sega that I want more PD. How about just a properly done collection, done in the vein of the NiGHTS HD release?

Yeah it's disappointing new PD releases are getting piecemealed like this. Not that the game is bad but I worry about the future of getting more games.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I was worried about the controls... I like on rails shooters but I am not really good at aiming, so if the controls are no the best...

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
My initial thoughts are that this is a sorta crummy port of a pretty good game. They really should have released Zwei with this. I get the feeling a lot of people are going to wonder what the big deal with Panzer Dragoon is after playing this.

Breaking my heart here but you are doing gods work by sharing these concerns with us.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Played the first two levels and... I dunno. I need to boot up my emulator to feel them side by side. I think I would have rather had a remastered port of Orta. I think it does not look good and the frame rate is pretty rough, and the controls feel way off. I love that look of the first level in the original, and this new version feels nothing like that. And what's up with the blaster sound? And the music is way worse than the original orchestral

Orta doesn't really need one what with it being BC on Xbox and it might even get a HDR update next gen!

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Sega farming out beloved franchises to indie devs works when its 2D titles (Wonderboy, Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage) because thats actually where the top talent is working these days. It doesn't work for 3D titles, and especially those made on a slim budget.

Panzer Dragoon deserved far better than this.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's a bit... eh. I haven't played it in almost twenty years, but I brought out Orta some time ago and fell in love with it again. This feels slow, the shoulder buttons take ages to react and the gun/lock system is just bad. With the reticle flying all over, I miss a bunch of shots and it's hard to shoot down a group of shots coming at you. Target painting is the only thing that works but there's very little feedback and I keep pushing the buttons harder hoping for something to happen.

Disappointed in everything but the music. I hope they can fix it up a bit, but right now, it's average at best.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so to be clear: this in no way includes the original game or an "original mode" of any kind?

if so, this is a remake that effectively overwrites the original by being 10x easier to obtain, and it's literally the only option on Switch

and to top it off, it has big issues on its own

releases like this are so frustrating to me, and this one still would be even if this were a Resident Evil 2002 tier remake.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
so to be clear: this in no way includes the original game or an "original mode" of any kind?

if so, this is a remake that effectively overwrites the original by being 10x easier to obtain, and it's literally the only option on Switch

and to top it off, it has big issues on its own

releases like this are so frustrating to me, and this one still would be even if this were a Resident Evil 2002 tier remake.

PD1 isn't that hard to obtain and can even be run on another modern console. PD Orta on the XB1.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through it now and got past Episode 2. Playing on handheld mode

to be honest, I'm digging it despite the differences from the Saturn version. The graphics and art style isn't bad; but it is different. The Saturn version felt more desolate and this version feels more... exotic, is the word I think fits. But they both work well in context (this version with the way the sun is makes it feel like a twilight kind of thing).

I bumped the sensitivity up a bit (max is too much for me, the default is too slow) and it's fine. The rate of fire for the normal shots is different and that's kinda of weird. Only noticed a few minor frame rate dips here and there in Episode 2 with the two giant sandworms but nothing egregious.

the shoulder button delay is baffling, so weird that this is even a thing. Hoping that they patch this quickly

will have to see how the rest of the game turns out. They probably should have released this with Zwei though...

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Just finished it.

It's alright. The aiming and camera control changes definitely annoy me not just as someone that's played a ton of the original, but even just mechanically speaking. Turning around the camera takes just a bit too long, and the rate of fire for regular shots definitely could benefit from being increased. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the PD1 reticule kinda sucks, and the much more narrower aiming for the blaster doesn't help, nor does the slower actual lock on timing.

If you've never played PD, then most of this aside from the camera control won't bother you. I feel like even then though, newcomers will give this a shot and think "This is what people were excited for?"

It's a serviceable but definitely a bit flawed remake of the weakest game in the series at the end of the day. On one hand, releasing with Zwei might have made this a more appealing proposition, but on the other, I kinda hope they'll take criticisms towards this remake and make some much needed tweaks to Zwei, since that's still in the oven.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I get that this isn't going to be as good in 2020 as the original game was in 1995, I just want it to be better than the original game in 2020. Saturn 3D graphics are really hard to go back to these days.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I now regret spending 25 bucks on this. Oh my. Too bad. Next time I'll wait for impressions.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that this isn't going to be as good in 2020 as the original game was in 1995, I just want it to be better than the original game in 2020. Saturn 3D graphics are really hard to go back to these days.

That's what it feels like to me as someone who played the original game through Orta.

It's smoother to control, though I suppose I don't have enough familiarity as others do when they talk about slower reticle speed or turning (I don't feel that, personally). The only weird thing to me is keeping in the limited continues from the original game, which could be a turn off.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

I find the look of Saturn 3D really endearing, I just want an option to have that style running at 60fps in HD

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The Saturn games (especially Zwei) absolutely still hold up visually even on a modern display as long as you have an OSSC.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

whenever i see this, i have to ask: how are you playing them? 32-bit era looks like ass stretched up & upscaled on modern sets. with a proper upscaler or good CRT, i find most games still beautiful.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
whenever i see this, i have to ask: how are you playing them? 32-bit era looks like ass stretched up & upscaled on modern sets. with a proper upscaler or good CRT, i find most games still beautiful.

Last time I played Panzer Dragoon 1 was via the Panzer Dragoon Orta bonus back when PDO was a new game and I thought it had aged badly even back then. If I thought it looked ugly in 2002 (or 2003 or whatever), I can't imagine my opinion will have changed nearly 2 decades later.

With that said, the art style is great, it's just the technical implementation of that art style that is the problem. I'd love to see a high budget remake that made it look amazing since the essence is there.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I played Panzer Dragoon 1 was via the Panzer Dragoon Orta bonus back when PDO was a new game and I thought it had aged badly even back then. If I thought it looked ugly in 2002 (or 2003 or whatever), I can't imagine my opinion will have changed nearly 2 decades later.

With that said, the art style is great, it's just the technical implementation of that art style that is the problem. I'd love to see a high budget remake that made it look amazing since the essence is there.
Fwiw the bonus on PDO is a port of the Windows version that changes up some of the effects and generally looks flatter. The Saturn original holds up better. PD1 hasn't aged as well as PDZwei but it's still a pretty impressive title for its vintage IMO.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
First episode looked nice, I think the colors fit the world too. The music sounded awesome as well. I has fun beating the first level. Shooting seemed too slow and I enjoyed it. Eager to play next episode as soon as my daughter lets me ;)

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Im not worried about the different artstyle. Whats bugging me is that its so warm compared to the old one. That has nothing to do with platform . Also, the reactions seem ...not that great.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
it was also listed on Steam saying "This winter". That was in 2019 btw. Probably they meant some date in 2020

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I still have access to and regularly play the original so I'm just considering this a whole different game. I never expected it to be amazing given the pedigree and the lack of any original andromeda/smilebit staff.
Honestly, even after the fix it still didn't feel as good, but that's probably because of the controller. I should just give in and buy a converter.

I actually misplaced my original NiGHTS controller so I don't even have the option. Feels fine to me now, but I haven't done a side by side.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
My quick (hot) take after playing through mission 1 is that targeting is a bit more challenging - this is due to two factors - one is that they have so much more detail overall that finding the enemies within the environments, especially on a smaller screen (and I'm old) is a bit more challenging than on the older game, where there was a lot less visual noise that competed with enemy location. Second is that the sticks just don't feel as smooth to target with as the Saturn controller did.

Still a great game so far, certainly to support this amazing franchise.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I was playing the original on Saturn a few weeks ago, and I still think the visuals hold up. The art style and aesthetics of the game really elevate the look of the game beyond what the Saturn was capable of. It's a lot like Silent Hill in that regard.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Could some of the control issues be due to the Switch analog sticks? I thought they were pretty bad in Splatoon 2 and BotW and made gyro a necessity. Gyro support would be wonderful for this game.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I was playing the original on Saturn a few weeks ago, and I still think the visuals hold up. The art style and aesthetics of the game really elevate the look of the game beyond what the Saturn was capable of. It's a lot like Silent Hill in that regard.
Did you play it on a CRT?
Many old games look great on crt and not so much on LCD, not because of nostalgia, but because they where designed with the faults and strengths in mind (like self liminescence, natural blur,...)