• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have bundled them together as one game, tbh. Even though Panzer Dragoon Zwei is a good game, it's still light on content for a modern game even when you go back and play all the routes. Orta got around this by having the entirety of Panzer Dragoon as an unlockable through pandora's box, they should have done the same thing with Zwei.

Yeah absolutely. I worry that having only PD in this will hurt sales.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have my Saturn hooked up right now so I think I'll play through the original and Zwei before playing this.

It's a shame they didn't do Zwei first, because it's a much better game.

It's an untested studio though so I'd rather have them get their sea legs, so to speak, on remaking the first game (which while good, is still the worst of the series) if that means that they do a better job on the later games.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
I'm such a big baby - when Sumo included the Panzer Dragoon course in SATM Transformed, I booted it up on Steam excitedly and when the course starts Flight started playing - I actually welled up and had a little cry.

Console war PTSD

Damn - Sega you play us like a fiddle with your nostalgia baiting!

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never played any outside of Orta. The art is incredible in this series though and if it's anything close to Orta I'd be down to eventually give it a shot.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm such a big baby - when Sumo included the Panzer Dragoon course in SATM Transformed, I booted it up on Steam excitedly and when the course starts Flight started playing - I actually welled up and had a little cry.

Console war PTSD

Damn - Sega you play us like a fiddle with your nostalgia baiting!

Did you know that game was gonna have Orta or Azel as a playable character? It hurts, man.

is zwei being remade too?

It is.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I love the boss too, and all the crazy use of transparency they pulled off on the saturn for that fight. The Panzer Dragoon games on the saturn did water so well. The bit in Panzer Dragoon Zwei when you go to Uru at night and have to avoid the spotlights that reflect off the water surface. So pretty for the system.

I think you mean Saga. There was no water stage at night in Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Welp, that's not what I was hoping to hear. May buy it anyway just because it's one of those games I've always wanted to play, even if I don't end up making it very far.
Orta has the PC version of the first Panzer Dragoon as an unlock able if you want to check it out before buying this one. I'm not sure if it runs properly via BC, but it is serviceable on my original Xbox compared to my Saturn copy.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
I wouldn't put it above Star Fox 64... Panzer Dragoon Orta and Zweii? Sure. But the first one isn't on that level since it ran so slowly on Saturn hardware.

Orta has the PC version of the first Panzer Dragoon as an unlock able if you want to check it out before buying this one. I'm not sure if it runs properly via BC, but it is serviceable on my original Xbox compared to my Saturn copy.

SF64 is a better game than the first but... talking furries.... with lame Star Wars plot points ewww

Give me dat Moebius Azarch inspired art and world building, and damn if that aint some Czech Small Orchestra chamber recorded OST magic.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey, they added the secret dual-stick mode from panzer dragoon zwei that wasn't in the original panzer dragoon. You needed to own 2 sega saturn flight sticks to play panzer dragoon zwei in dual analog mode, it's the only game on the entire system with this feature, and it's entirely hidden. Neither the JPN nor western versions advertise anywhere, even in the manual, that this is a feature:

wmKehL2.jpeg

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they adjusted the color a lot from the initial reveal, it tries to match the colors of the original a bit more and look less desaturated than it did when it was first shown off, but it still looks a lot different from the Saturn original in terms of atmosphere. The original saturn game looked vast and desolate and bleak but still colorful at the same time.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

Looking into it. If it's unlocked with a code I'll try it out.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
What are the initial impressions? I was always interested in Orta when I got an original Xbox. Sadly, I bought it digital for Xbox One and still haven't played that much of it.

I've also played a tiny bit of Crimson Dragon but it seems so meh. I think I remember it being a grindfest in some fashion rather than just a linear story?

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
My fave shooters in this genre are Star Fox 64, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Panzer Dragoon Orta (the only PD I've played, actually)

I like the first for its lightning-fast, rock-solid action; the second for its action, its bombast, and its storytelling; and the last for its difficulty, its aesthetics, and an almost unassailable mood

Orta might be my favorite of those. If I ever get a One X or a Series X, digging up Panzer Dragoon Orta is absolutely on my to-do list, just so I can play it again. It's been a long time.

Should I play this game? What makes it different from Orta, outside of the lack of super attacks?

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Of the SHMUP Panzer Dragoon games, Level 4 route 1 in Panzer Dragoon Zwei is by far my favorite level, that drop in the elevator is incredible:

The alternate routes in that level are great, too. Panzer Dragoon Zwei really picks up the pace from Panzer Dragoon 1, and introduces a lot of really cool in-game story elements. The bit early on when your baby dragon first flies is an awesome moment.

It will always be the third level, route two for me, especially that quiet moment before the Saturn's soundchip kicks into overdrive and Hanuman drops from the jungle canopy. One of those audio/visual moments in gaming that just perfect.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IT IS TIME

Will post my impressions but I imagine it'll mostly be gushing.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat the first level, real quick impressions:

The aiming reticle has a tiny hit box, it's actually pretty hard to paint targets. It also feels like it takes longer to lock on than it used to. The graphics look quite different from the saturn original, not necessarily the worst thing in the world but it's weird that they'd be so willing to change the look of the game, while remaining slavish to other weird decisions. Like the reticle is the Panzer Dragoon 1 reticle, the one that was just made up of spinning boxes. Of all the reticles in Panzer Dragoon, that was the worst one, because the only indication it'd give you that you were able to lock on was it'd start spinning faster. Later reticles gave you visual cues that you were able to lock on.

Despite all this, it's still panzer dragoon. They don't make 3D shmups like this anymore. I don't mean that a knock on competitor's quality, I mean that literally -- 3D SHMUPs in this style are hyper rare now. So take what you can get.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
My fave shooters in this genre are Star Fox 64, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Panzer Dragoon Orta (the only PD I've played, actually)

I like the first for its lightning-fast, rock-solid action; the second for its action, its bombast, and its storytelling; and the last for its difficulty, its aesthetics, and an almost unassailable sense of storytelling through mood

Orta might be my favorite of those. If I ever get a One X or a Series X, digging up Panzer Dragoon Orta is absolutely on my to-do list, just so I can play it again. It's been a long time.

Should I play this game? What makes it different from Orta, outside of the lack of super attacks?

Measure your expectations - I feel its difficult say this because often a persons own judgment can be clouded by nostalgia etc.

Its a tough game, and there can be moments of intensity but also periods where it seems a bit samey and desolate.

You really need to take it for what it is and enjoy the mood.

I played PD1 after Zwei, and while I was able to see the flaws and notice the gaps where Zwei notably improved over the original, I still really enjoyed the first game.

The remake, I've not tried yet, but if you like any of those games you just listed its good to show your support for projects like this.

Just recently played and fished Orta for the first time myself on an OG Xbox, fantastic game.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised the intro and between stage videos are remade and not just the originals playing upscaled, that's nice (they were prerendered before, right?)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the first level, real quick impressions:

The aiming reticle has a tiny hit box, it's actually pretty hard to paint targets. It also feels like it takes longer to lock on than it used to. The graphics look quite different from the saturn original, not necessarily the worst thing in the world but it's weird that they'd be so willing to change the look of the game, while remaining slavish to other weird decisions. Like the reticle is the Panzer Dragoon 1 reticle, the one that was just made up of spinning boxes. Of all the reticles in Panzer Dragoon, that was the worst one, because the only indication it'd give you that you were able to lock on was it'd start spinning faster. Later reticles gave you visual cues that you were able to lock on.

Despite all this, it's still panzer dragoon. They don't make 3D shmups like this anymore. I don't mean that a knock on competitor's quality, I mean that literally -- 3D SHMUPs in this style are hyper rare now. So take what you can get.

how's the remixed music?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

it's very straight forward compared to any other panzer dragoon game. There are no branching paths or alternate routes, no dragon morphing or upgrades, and no ability to alter your speed. All you can do is move your dragon around to dodge attacks, and rotate the camera. It also has virtually no story compared to the other games, which feature lots of cutscenes. Panzer Dragoon 1's story is almost entirely told in the opening and closing cutscene. It's also the shortest game with only 6 levels.

There's also no pandora's box, which became the series staple for unlockable content. Pandora's box started with the sequel, Panzer Dragoon Zwei. Actually, virtually everything I listed above was introduced in Zwei, save the ability to alter your speed.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
they adjusted the color a lot from the initial reveal, it tries to match the colors of the original a bit more and look less desaturated than it did when it was first shown off, but it still looks a lot different from the Saturn original in terms of atmosphere. The original saturn game looked vast and desolate and bleak but still colorful at the same time.

how are

frame rate
controls

thx

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, there is a really long delay between when you press the shoulder buttons to turn the camera, and it actually turns. Like, I'm not exaggerating, a quarter of a second.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Having this drop today is a wonderful surprise, wish it included the original game as an unlockable but the fact they're making the Saturn OST available soon pretty much guarantees I'll be getting it (edit: Uh oh, hopefully they fix those input lag/delay bugs and aiming related issues?). Just thinking about the Saturn opening screen title gives me chills.

And I understand Sega not developing these games but it'd be nice if they'd at least try to find a way to get the Sega logo on there somewhere for that added legacy touch, but whatevs. Not having any Sega arcade games in Shenmue III also hurts.

I just need to decide now if I'm going to get the digital version or try for physical with LRG. I got the deluxe physical box set for Battle Garegga from them last year, not so great selling methods aside, they do beautiful work.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
No Zwei is super disappointing. I'll grab it on sale because for some reason I just adore how these games look. But... ... man, not too excited about no Zwei.