• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
57 minutes remaining to download?? How big is this??

Damn I hate how slow the internet is right now :(

I'm gonna play more Half Life till it's done downloading

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My god download speed went to hell. I'm stock in 88% :(

First impressions from 3 first levels

The gameplay is almost one to one to the og Sega Saturn Release. Performance seems solid 30fps and image quality looks like native or close in both docked and handheld.

Enemy encounter is close to the original if not the same. Music is the original and you can balance sound and music. No control option and it seems no gyro aiming.

The game overall feels good. The aimimg is a bit stiff and imprecise, even if rhe original Sega Saturn game was mostly the same.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Damn if they hadn't shadow dropped this we might've had a Panzer Dragoon Era logo ready!

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

And honestly, it's wonderful. I'd much rather they did this than let the IPs remain forgotten forever.

You'd think, but the Steam page says it's not releasing until Winter?

Heh, i don't know, i guess it's still good from a "better than nothing" point of view.
Still i'm not a fan of hystorical IPs being tossed away to no-name indie studios.
Results have been kind of hit and miss so far.

I hope they turn out alright

Do we know if Switch's Joycons gyro tecnology would be good enough to be used as a lightgun substitute?
I know the ir pointer isn't.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zwei remake is already confirmed.

Mort importantly, they also announced panzer dragoon VR

Panzer-Dragoon-Voyage-Record-1021x580.jpg

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow, this is not a game I expected to Shadow Drop. I'm knee-deep in a personal Sega renaissance and Panzer Dragoon has been on my gaming bucket list since the Saturn was on (some) shelves (here and there), so I think I'm in on this today.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have absolutely no problem putting the first panzer dragoon over star fox.

The first game is on it's own a terrific 3D shmup, one of the very best. Like the best bits from galaxy force and space harrier, the panzer dragoon games have always shown an incredible knack for enemy placement that was in place from the very beginning. The first game is not as mechanically deep as the later, but it's still a very solid shmup.

I echo everything he says.

I find it funny when a lot of Nintendo fans claim Panzer Dragoon was inspired by Starfox, completely oblivious that Space Harrier and Galaxy Force existed long before Starfox did. Both of those games made by Sega.

OP
OP
sibarraz

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I echo everything he says.

I find it funny when a lot of Nintendo fans claim Panzer Dragoon was inspired by Starfox, completely oblivious that Space Harrier and Galaxy Force existed long before Starfox did. Both of those games made by Sega.

What I don't understand is why Nintendo fans don't admit that Star Fox is heavily influenced by Galaxy Force, like A LOT

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping they also release a physical of the PS4 version. If not, I will get it digital. Anyone know how hard it is to get one of these? I never bought from limited run. Do they usually sell out the minute they go on sale?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game as hard as Orta? I bought that for my X and couldn't even make it past the 2nd or 3rd level lol

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they also release a physical of the PS4 version. If not, I will get it digital. Anyone know how hard it is to get one of these? I never bought from limited run. Do they usually sell out the minute they go on sale?

It's an open run. You'll have 4 weeks to place an order before things are closed off.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
So playing the first mission handheld, it's mostly a solid 30. I only noticed it get a little framey during one bit of rocks falling around me, but the rest was okay.

Truth be told I've never touched a single Panzer Dragoon game, so I can't give many impressions to the improvements over the original. Music is outstanding. Sound design itself is eh. Sound effects leave a lot to be desired comparing this to something like Star Fox 64. Art style is nice but the price tag shows the level of polish it has, IMO. Certainly not bad by any stretch, but things like the water textures look really plain.

Going docked for the second mission, load times are iffy. Nothing deal-breaking but like 15 seconds to load Episode 2. Was worse for Episode 1 - closer to 20. Looks a little better but textures are still kinda muddy. Framerate problems, gone. Might just be the level though.

All in all, for $25? If you loved the original I cannot see you not liking this.

Personal note, I can't seem to find any control layout? Is it really just fly and shoot, and change the firing direction with the shoulder buttons?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game as hard as Orta? I bought that for my X and couldn't even make it past the 2nd or 3rd level lol

The first Panzer Dragoon is the hardest. It has no bezerk meter, and thus no super attacks nor any way to heal yourself in-game. You get one life bar per level, and that's it. Of course, there's infinite continues and saving, too. But you have to beat every level in one life, at least in the original and PS2 remake.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What I don't understand is why Nintendo fans don't admit that Star Fox is heavily influenced by Galaxy Force, like A LOT
I've had plenty of arguments with Nintendo fans about this and they will never admit it even though its clear as day.

So playing the first mission handheld, it's mostly a solid 30. I only noticed it get a little framey during one bit of rocks falling around me, but the rest was okay.

Truth be told I've never touched a single Panzer Dragoon game, so I can't give many impressions to the improvements over the original. Music is outstanding. Sound design itself is eh. Sound effects leave a lot to be desired comparing this to something like Star Fox 64. Art style is nice but the price tag shows the level of polish it has, IMO. Certainly not bad by any stretch, but things like the water textures look really plain.

Going docked for the second mission, load times are iffy. Nothing deal-breaking but like 15 seconds to load Episode 2. Was worse for Episode 1 - closer to 20. Looks a little better but textures are still kinda muddy. Framerate problems, gone. Might just be the level though.

All in all, for $25? If you loved the original I cannot see you not liking this.

Personal note, I can't seem to find any control layout? Is it really just fly and shoot, and change the firing direction with the shoulder buttons?

I don't recall Star Fox 64 having great sound effects back in the days. Panzer Dragoon sound and effects were above and beyond anything SF 64 dished up.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but things like the water textures look really plain.

that is so incredibly disheartening because the water effects in the original Panzer Dragoon games on the saturn were the graphic trick it pulled off. At the time, the water effects were very well praised and were a graphical trick the PSX and N64 couldn't do, so they used water all over the game as a result.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
The original version of the game is tougher than Orta but we don't know what QoL changes there are yet to balance it out.
The first Panzer Dragoon is the hardest. It has no bezerk meter, and thus no super attacks nor any way to heal yourself in-game. You get one life bar per level, and that's it. Of course, there's infinite continues and saving, too. But you have to beat every level in one life, at least in the original and PS2 remake.

Welp, that's not what I was hoping to hear. May buy it anyway just because it's one of those games I've always wanted to play, even if I don't end up making it very far.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, that's not what I was hoping to hear. May buy it anyway just because it's one of those games I've always wanted to play, even if I don't end up making it very far.

I can't imagine they remade the game for modern audiences and didn't put in infinite continues.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
that is so incredibly disheartening because the water effects in the original Panzer Dragoon games on the saturn were the graphic trick it pulled off. At the time, the water effects were very well praised and were a graphical trick the PSX and N64 couldn't do, so they used water all over the game as a result.
I even tried things like firing at the water and there's no real effect. And again, your results may vary, but the weapon firing itself feels kinda shitty. But this might not be my type of rail shooter; totally possible.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
What I've seen still looks a bit too bright & colorful for my liking and lacks that trademark somberness. Looking forward to impressions.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you find Panzer Dragoon 1 too hard, Panzer Dragoon Zwei is the best shmup in the series. It has by far the best level design and balance in the game. And unlike Panzer Dragoon 1, it introduces outrun-style branching paths through the game. Depending on your route you take through the game, entire levels might be completely different.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot more confidence in these indie studios to do Sega IP justice than Sega themselves these days, to be honest.
Of course, but that's not saying much considering that the only in-house talent left in Sega's home console business are the RGG Studio and the recently re-organized Sonic Team, wich are basically almost one-ip focused developers.
They could've still been more careful with their outsourcing operations than just giving their ips away to random Sega of Europe unknown friends.
But i guess brands are all what people care about nowadays.

Last edited:

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
eeeeee!

I'm SO excited for this! Great news at a time when I definitely needed a pick me up.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I really want a physical version of this too. But I have no idea if they're doing one and now I'm tempted to just get it today