• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Panel De Pon one of the best games that has released this year?

• Yes

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • The Last of Us 2 is shaking

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 28.6%

• Total voters

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I saw that Nintendo had released three more random games for their SNES Nintendo Online emulator, I was disappointed to see it wasn't a Donkey Kong Country game or Chrono Trigger. I initially dismissed this Japan only puzzle game as another puzzle game that is probably good but I can't enjoy like Tetris or Puyo Puyo.

Then, I found myself being unable to just forget about it... there was something about it that just made me want to keep trying it out for fun and, with the help of the rewind and save state features of the SNESflix emulator, the game eventually clicked with me and I was able to appreciate the game's "Arcade" mode where the difficulty ramps up over time. Lining up four or five panels to create the "time stop" effect that allows you to set up more combos, panicking when the relaxing tunes change into panic-inducing jams, etc. is all super addicting and fun.

Anyways I know the game is old as fuck and it isn't actually a 2020 release but if yoy have a Nintendo Online subscription please consider giving Panel De Pon a try, even if you've never enjoyed puzzle games. It's all jokes and good fun.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Hey, you're right actually, it will count as a 2020 release in the west.
Going in the GOTY top 10!

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I gave it a try, it's fine but isn't for me. There isn't much that has released so far in 2020, so maybe it is top 5 for now, but it wasn't really amazing by any means as someone that has never played it before. I prefer Tetris 99 for that type of gameplay to be honest

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Pokemon Puzzle League was one of my favourite games on the N64 and from what I understand, Panel de Pon is the same game but with different artwork.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Pokemon Puzzle League was one of my favourite games on the N64 and from what I understand, Panel de Pon is the same game but with different artwork.
Tetris Attack (the version of Panel de Pon with Yoshi's Island characters) is the exact same game with different artwork. Pokémon Puzzle League has the same fundamental gameplay, but is more like a sequel.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
When I saw that Nintendo had released three more random games for their SNES Nintendo Online emulator, I was disappointed to see it wasn't a Donkey Kong Country game or Chrono Trigger. I initially dismissed this Japan only puzzle game as another puzzle game that is probably good but I can't enjoy like Tetris or Puyo Puyo.

Then, I found myself being unable to just forget about it... there was something about it that just made me want to keep trying it out for fun and, with the help of the rewind and save state features of the SNESflix emulator, the game eventually clicked with me and I was able to appreciate the game's "Arcade" mode where the difficulty ramps up over time. Lining up four or five panels to create the "time stop" effect that allows you to set up more combos, panicking when the relaxing tunes change into panic-inducing jams, etc. is all super addicting and fun.

Anyways I know the game is old as fuck and it isn't actually a 2020 release but if yoy have a Nintendo Online subscription please consider giving Panel De Pon a try, even if you've never enjoyed puzzle games. It's all jokes and good fun.

Welcome to the group that knows Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon/Puzzle League is the best puzzle game ever made.

I discovered it back in the 90s thanks to EGM that spent several issues talking about how fun it was. I rented the game, and the first thing that hooked me was the amazing soundtrack. Then once I learned how to play it, I was making combos and chains even in my sleep.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Tetris Attack (the version of Panel de Pon with Yoshi's Island characters) is the exact same game with different artwork. Pokémon Puzzle League has the same fundamental gameplay, but is more like a sequel.

Not exactly the same but very similar. TA has different music in some parts, and the controls were refined.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this one specifically, but Tetris Attack/Puzzle League is absolute crack.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Hard and that final battle is pure insanity, the AI is outright cheating, but if you manage to beat her... Oh hot damn does it feel good!

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Can be talk about how every ending song of this game is absolutely wonderful? (spoilers?... maybe, is just the credits, but anyway).

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah, it's a nice surprise for the Nintendo online service. Frankly would rather have Panel De Pon (translated or not) over the DKC games lmao