• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (five being the highest and one the lowest), how would you rate Panda Express?

• Five

Votes: 63 8.6%
  • Four

Votes: 127 17.4%
  • Three

Votes: 213 29.2%
  • Two

Votes: 105 14.4%
  • One

Votes: 94 12.9%
  • I never had Panda Express

Votes: 128 17.5%

• Total voters

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't great when I was younger, and after trying it a few times in the last couple years I can easily say 1/5. There are so many better Chinese options nowadays and looking back I can see why my family always picked other places.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had better. Its a 1. Any other chinese place will be better. Panda Express is like Subway. You don't want to order at Subway.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Didn't know Panda Express had that kind of a legacy, haha. I've only gotten food from there once a few years ago and it wasn't very good. Probably because it was later in the evening and I'm sure the food was sitting out for a while.

Oct 30, 2017
I get both sides of the argument. A lot of the hate towards Chinese American vs Authentic comes from when idiots say shit like, "The food is too fat or greasy" and apply it to all Chinese food. When Chinese food from China isn't the greasy, sugar lauded stuff you get at Panda. This isn't a knock at Panda or American Chinese food either. I get it at least once a month. A lot of people went through a lot of stereotyping, racist bullshit for years and still do. They apply their one time eating Orange chicken to an entire culture's food.

But I agree, when food moves to different cultures it takes on some of the local culture and becomes it own thing. Its bound to happen and fighting it is pointless.

yeah i mean, by all means promote what you perceive to be the original versions of foods you're familiar with, and the point about stereotypes is a good one (plus it can go the other way when major chains act as sanitized takes on "foreign" cuisine). but acting like adaptations are a "white people thing" rather than the obvious and natural extension of multiculturalism everywhere around the world is just myopic.

like, i personally think japanese curry is terrible but there's no denying that it's an incredibly popular adaptation of a previously unfamiliar food to another palate!

Oct 22, 2020
Panda Express fueled my college years so I live and breathe Panda.

obligatory anytime panda comes up

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo59LlkTDe4

Not Chinese so I don't want to be too judgmental here, but if I were one of the young people in this video, I'd be pretty humbled by seeing myself act like this in comparison to my elders.

I sympathize with the desire to defend one's home culture, the challenges of navigating two distinct cultures, and experiencing constant discrimination in white-dominated America - but fundamentally tasty food is tasty food. The elders seem to understand that while the young folks do not.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Never went to a Panda Express before despite living in the US for 30+ years lol

I should try it out and this orange chicken

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Not Chinese so I don't want to be too judgmental here, but if I were one of the young people in this video, I'd be pretty humbled by seeing myself act like this in comparison to my elders.

I sympathize with the desire to defend one's home culture, the challenges of navigating two distinct cultures, and experiencing constant discrimination in white-dominated America - but fundamentally tasty food is tasty food. The elders seem to understand that while the young folks do not.
Yea the young man embarrassed himself here tbh

Never went to a Panda Express before despite living in the US for 30+ years lol

I should try it out and this orange chicken
You aren't missing anything you can't get at any other Chinese American restaurant, and at a higher quality. Everyone sells orange chicken at this point and they'll have better appetizers, sides, and rice than Panda Express.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's always weird to me that people make a big deal out of Panda Express being bad because it's not "authentic" when it was created (and still owned by) a Chinese immigrant, but then jack off all over Taco Bell which was founded by a white guy who literally stole the hard taco recipe from a Mexican restaurant.
It's bad simply because it's bad. Most Americans could not tell you what is actually "authentic" even if you served it to them.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
When I was a kid, prior to even knowing what panda express was, my parents always ordered from a local Chinese take out place called Canton Kitchen. They had the best orange chicken, very lightly breaded, really bright orange, sweet, tangy sauce, with big chunks of chicken. I loved it growing up and it was always such a treat.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yea the young man embarrassed himself here tbh

You aren't missing anything you can't get at any other Chinese American restaurant, and at a higher quality. Everyone sells orange chicken at this point and they'll have better appetizers, sides, and rice than Panda Express.

Oh

Then I guess I probably had it when I was younger

Always go to non big brand Chinese restaurants

Oct 30, 2017

this is like saying you can get a better burger than a big mac anywhere.

technically true yes but it's not going to be a big mac. panda express orange chicken exists unto itself and is worth meeting on its own terms.

It's bad simply because it's bad. Most Americans could not tell you what is actually "authentic" even if you served it to them.

anyone from any background saying they only value "authentic" food is full of shit. and to your point, that would still have no bearing on whether panda express is good or not

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
People saying "you could get better, more authentic Chinese food at many places" are missing the point. This is like complaining that Taco Bell isn't authentic. WE KNOW. Taco Breezy is its own thing. Just like Panda is its own thing. When I want quality Chinese, I will get quality Chinese. But sometimes I want that orange gel. And I refuse to apologize for it. 😤
They are the same people that have to let you know they cook a better burger at home then any fast food restaurant. Missing the point of the topic to try and stroke their ego no one cares about.

Jun 19, 2022
C) It's not just older and younger people, it appears to be native Chinese vs children who were raised in a Western culture. There's probably a lot of pressure on the latter to find where they belong so they're probably more sensitive to having part of their identity "bastardised".
Yeah, obviously there are real social concerns that X-Y face that X in X country don't, but going online and seeing the ultranationalist who can only speak 15 words of their parents language and has maybe been there once or twice is so weird lol

There's no Panda Express' here but hearing food described as "sugary chicken" in this thread sounds twisted, like sweetmeats in the 1800s that were named after human ribs

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Only had it once, not for me but I guess it is its own thing. Too damn much flour, oil and sugar everywhere.

I usually judge a chinese place by their fried rice, and it hasn't failed me yet.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever eaten at Panda Express, just at local places. There's some really great local places around here that also do dim sum menus and the like, so their food is always great.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
if youre comparing it to authentic chinese food, its 1-2 at best. compared to other american fast food options its fares much better. i love me some orange chicken from panda though.

DeBurgo

Oct 28, 2017
I love American Chinese food but also really don't like Panda Express? I feel like this is an opinion that gets squeezed out in these threads but there are tons of local/regional chinese food places that are way better than Panda Express, that are not at all authentic but nonetheless very good. It's like comparing pizza hut to actual Italian cuisine while disparaging all good sub/pizza places in the process?

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I get panda about once a year but I make orange chicken in our instant pot about every other week.

I've got a real easy recipe that I've basically memorized by now.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
General Tso Chicken is the best food alive right now. Panda Express is dry and sucks

hqdefault.jpg

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Required viewing. Not gonna lie they opened my eyes to the complexity involved in the history of Chinese-American cuisine.

View: https://youtu.be/1HFFxihgfzI

Damn, this video is pretty good. I really like American Chinese food(I'm not Chinese), but always felt like I had to put it down sometimes because it's not authentic and is a cheap imitation of the real thing. I feel like I want to stand up for it the next time someone wants to shit on it as fake and a cheap imitation.

And it was interesting to hear her explanation of how every little town in the US has one. I was raised in a smaller town, we had our own. And all the neighboring small towns also have their own. American Chinese, Italian American, and Tex Mex feel like the big 3 that you will find in every little town in the US(I mean like a population of 1-10k, not 10 or 50 lol).

As for Panda Express vs local American Chinese restaurants? I find that it varies. With Panda Express what you're guaranteed is consistency. You know it'll be the same quality just about everywhere as it should be because it's a chain. And I do like Panda Express Bejing beef and Orange chicken are always my go to. As for local places, they can be really hit and miss. My first apartment, I tried two local places and didn't like either. I just settled on Panda Express after that lol.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Orange chicken, General Tso's, and boneless wings are just chicken nuggets covered in different sauces. And I'm pretty sure boneless fried chicken in sauce existed before Panda Express.

Why is it so hard to believe that Panda Express popularized orange chicken specifically?

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Why is it so hard to believe that Panda Express popularized orange chicken specifically?

Even for American Chinese food specifically, General Tso's is a more popular dish and pre-dates it so claiming Panda Express was responsible for the popularity of Chinese takeout is a stretch.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I have never eaten at a panda express. I don't know if I'm spoiled to live in a part of the country with so many local places I would never have to eat at one, but it always looks like crap when I see it in pictures.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Never had orange chicken or Panda Express at all, and never knew they've been around for so long until this thread.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Saying "someone did this before" and providing receipts is researching a topic and keeping the record straight.

Saying, "someone did this better and before" while providing no receipts and leaning on your own unsubstantiated assertions is...being a hater.

Don't be a hater, fam.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
4/5; Panda is better than most Chinese takeout places around me. But they still aren't as good as some nicer sit-down places.
But also mind blown that they invented orange chicken...

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Panda Express is the best junk food. Orange Chicken/Beijing Beef with Lo Mein was my guilty pleasure for years.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
Who else thought Panda Express was founded around 2000 or so? Be honest.

Hated to break it to you 2000 was 22 years ago. What's another 13?
That's when I've noticed it becoming a thing before the decline of malls. I'd wager this is when they ramped up their franchising?

I used to be one of those naysayers of preferring something more "authentic," but it does a decent job if your looking for American Chinese. Another thing, not every local fast food Chinese spot are good. They can vary wildly in quality just like your run off the mill burger joint.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Tell that to Koreans and Korean food. They're the most hardass when it comes to not changing recipes even outside Korea and I fully appreciate that. Hell, they don't even translate the names to English if they can help it.

As someone who lived in Korea for 4 years and regularly goes to Korean restaurants (outside of Korea I've been to Korean restaurants in Mexico City, New York City, Houston, and LA), this really hasn't been my experience at all. Hell, even within Korea there's some discrepancies on dishes. The dakgalbi you'll find in Gyeonggi-Do is quite a bit different than the Dakgalbi you'll find in Chuncheon, for example (and it was my favorite dish in Korea, yet I haven't found anything close to that here in the US despite "Dakgalbi" being pretty common on menus).

Outside of Korea even something as simple as mandu isn't very consistent, sometimes places will have Korean-style dumplings, other times it's closer to what you'd find in somewhere like Hong Kong.

panda express is shit tier, you could go to any local Chinese place and get way more bang for you buck on top of fresher food with the option to get some actual authentic stuff if you dig into the menu.

Nah.

I don't go to Panda Express for Chinese food. I go to Panda Express for Panda Express.

Last edited: