• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (five being the highest and one the lowest), how would you rate Panda Express?

• Five

Votes: 63 8.6%
  • Four

Votes: 127 17.4%
  • Three

Votes: 213 29.2%
  • Two

Votes: 105 14.4%
  • One

Votes: 94 12.9%
  • I never had Panda Express

Votes: 128 17.5%

• Total voters

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1547899298288766978?cxt=HHwWhMCg6b2Nn_sqAAAA

Panda Express' orange chicken, the quintessential American Chinese invention that helped bolster a nationwide craze for Chinese takeout, turns 35 on Friday.

It all started in Hawaii. In 1987, executive chef Andy Kao invented orange chicken on a business trip to open the state's first Panda Express restaurant. Inspired by the citrus on the island and the locals' love for meat dishes, Kao decided to coat an American classic, fried chicken, with a tangy, sweet and spicy sauce — a traditional flavor combination in the Chinese city of Yang Zhou.

Although some perceive the restaurant as "Americanized," it was founded by Asian immigrants. Husband-and-wife team Peggy Cherng, born in Burma, and Andrew Cherng, born in China, opened Panda Express in 1983. Andrew's first sit-down restaurant, Panda Inn, was named for President Richard Nixon's 1972 visit to China, the panda serving as "a symbol of friendship." His father was the chef.

It now has more than 2,200 locations, making it the largest family-owned Chinese restaurant chain in the country.

Today, he said, orange chicken remains the store's best-seller. Last year, the restaurant chain sold more than 115 million pounds of orange chicken, roughly a third of all sales.

The company even partnered with Beyond Meat last summer to create a vegan version of orange chicken. In a limited launch in Los Angeles, Wang said, the product sold out in less than two weeks.

Among some Asian Americans, orange chicken has a more divisive reputation. A viral BuzzFeed video from 2015 shows young Chinese Americans deriding the dish as "white people's Chinese food." Some say an unspeakable shame is associated with eating, let alone enjoying, a dish so garishly designed for the American palate.

While Panda Express' offerings don't necessarily fit into the canon of "traditional" Chinese food, he said, they still embody "authentic" Chinese cooking.

"American Chinese cuisine is a separate cuisine from traditional Chinese food, but it is authentic to the immigrant experience, Asian American experience and the Chinese food experience in the U.S." he said.

Oct 25, 2017
I read Reggie Fils-Aime's book a week or two ago. He made a big deal about the orange chicken being the most popular item on the menu.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how much y'all trash it, that sugar chicken tastes great.

Agreed.

Yeah it's not authentic or the best, but if you want Panda Express orange chicken, there's only one place to get it.

Same with McDonalds and their fries.

That all said, I think Panda as a whole is just "good". The rest of the entrees are meh, especially when you have so many mom and pop shops around.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's very good once a year, have it two or three times and you're playing with fire

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
It's not "authentic" in the least bit, but a fat styrofoam container of rice/string bean chicken/kung pao chicken fucking slaps

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Never had it, as I have plenty of family owned chinese restaurants to choose from near me, and they're all extremely good quality.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait are they really crediting panda express with american chinese food taking off? i remember eating it all the time as a kid and never even saw a panda express.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
it does its job, definitely needs to be hot

like any chicken nugget or tender, it doesn't revive particularly well once it goes cold

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I havent eaten at one for 2 decades and dont see that changing but man, Panda is nostalgia for me. Go to the mall for some Panda, Babbages, Suncoast, Borders, then the arcade.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Something about that particular flavour combination doesn't work for me. Beijing beef is more my preference.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's no way this is an american thing. I'm sure there's a szeshuan equivalent from 100's of year ago.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
I feel like I've spent my entire adult life having people tell me Panda Express was fake white people bullshit only to find out the company was founded by immigrants.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm not a huge fan of orange chicken and Panda Express is a miss in general compared to local places around me.

But if you're telling me Panda Express orange chicken led to the flourishing of american chinese take out in general, then I have nothing but appreciation for it.

Because I cannot live without this shit.

wd4hzs3.png

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
panda express is shit tier, you could go to any local Chinese place and get way more bang for you buck on top of fresher food with the option to get some actual authentic stuff if you dig into the menu.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i love american chinese takeaway

its reliable, dependable, and you can easily find it in just about every town in america

when i go to visit my sister in georgia, i know ill be able to order some beef and string bean, or egg foo young, or triple delight

Oct 27, 2017
2. I haven't ordered from one in a long time - since they jacked the price by an absurd amount and made the portions smaller at the same time.
Just set up an order and it's about $10 for 1 main, 1 side. For shit tier food.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever had orange chicken from Panda Express - so can't speak to the whole menu - but it left a rather horrible impression. Don't know how people eat it.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Since I stopped eating meat, American Chinese isn't the same.

That said, Panda Express is weird, I only ever went there a few times, but everything I tried gave me a terrible stomach ache for the rest of the day.
I have never had that at any other Chinese joint, unless I was drunk and ate way too much.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Required viewing. Not gonna lie they opened my eyes to the complexity involved in the history of Chinese-American cuisine.

View: https://youtu.be/1HFFxihgfzI
it always deserved respect. that's like some saying mexican american food creations arent deserving of praise or respect. all these people bashing it for not being authentic need to remember that food is always evolving and you would never get good food creations of people didn't try and experiment with available ingredients. plus its sometimes necessary to use different ingredients if you are an immigrant living in a foreign country without access to your homelands ingredients.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Orange chicken is my favorite food. It's my Friday treat. Always order from one of my local places every Friday. I look forward to it.

Panda's is pretty good. I voted a 3.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
i NEVER get orange chicken at Panda. Yuck. Chunks of sweet, hard, flour. Ew. The only *really* good thing Panda has is the chow mein. I usually just get a large ala carte chow mein, a couple of spring rolls, and *maybe* an order of the bbq chicken. But never the orange flour rocks. >__<

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Huh didn't know Panda Express invented it, let alone how long they've been around.

I'm definitely not above the occasional orange chicken. Shit is good.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Who else thought Panda Express was founded around 2000 or so? Be honest.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i didnt know panda express invented it. ive only had panda express once tho and i threw it out.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I prefer their Beijing Beef.

That plus their grilled chicken teriyaki and super greens is so satisfying without making me hate myself.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I love some orange chicken, but I've never had a good meal at a Panda Express. Everything I've ever had there has been soggy, bland, and overwhelmingly disappointing compared to local Chinese places. So while I'm thankful for the invention, I'd much rather have it prepared at other restaurants.