• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"She is a Palpatine."

She sure is, Sheev, she sure is.

Palpatine had the last laugh over Anakin. He made Anakin's bloodline go extinct and took over the surname with his own bloodline.

ANAKIN'S BLOODLINE! of 2 people!

LOL

what anakin bloodline exactly???

luke and Ben

and that's it.

not even anakin cared so much about his bloodline than crazy fans.

also skywalker wasn't even his last name. it was his mom's.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
They aren't going to just ignore the ST, folks just gotta accept it, it's part of the universe, it made tons of money, and they still are making products connected to it and have a big investment with their theme parks with it too. As always, they are gonna fill in gaps, is it going to be good? Probably not, can only fix so much.

Folks said much of the same about the prequels and that's become a popular era once again. Just gotta work around it, and tell good stories. The bad will always be there, but they aren't gonna just ignore a movie trilogy.

Despite the hate here and some other places, the ST does have it's fans still. The story group is just doing best they can with what was given to them, to try and explain and fill in the gaps, they always do. "who asked for this?" Obviously not you if you are saying this. A couple paragraphs in some random book does no harm or foul, it's giving the fans that do care about it something to play with. It's not like the random writer who spent maybe an afternoon to write up and edit this stuff is somehow stopping the star wars movies/tv shows, and other media you want from being made.

Still kills me that Rian Johnson gifted IX a Skywalker big bad and JJ somehow landed on "actually Ben is good and Palpatine is the villain". Now people at Lucasfilm have the impossible, thankless task of making IX not the worst.

Everyone just blames JJ, but this is Disney, Lucasfilm, Kennedy, and a giant list of folks fault who even let it happen. They could have changed the movie and done other things, but they all just let JJ do it with his cowriter who also is to blame.

It's also Disney's fault the whole thing was a rushed mess and likely a big reason for how bad it came out, they were determined at a release date, they had a writer and director all way along in production and then fired. JJ and his cowriter had to come up with a new script in a short span of time and it shows they went with the super lazy easy route. Why did no one at Lucasfilm, Disney, or Kathy get involved and stop this, they were involved as well and they didn't like the direction the movie was going with the previous director.

The whole ST is a mess of planning on Lucasfilm's part, they should have managed the whole project better.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol...I've been saying something similar in the old forum since he directed Star Trek. Dude is the definition of a hack.
I INSIST that hiring Jar Jar Abrams in the first place is the worst thing that could've ever happened to Star Wars.

The entire sequel trilogy is built on the castle of sand that is TFA, and that's where the root of all of its problems lie.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could not have made a worse decision then they made in TFA to turn the ST in to some mystery box with no world building of whatever the fuck happened for the 30 years between ROTJ and the TFA. And then RotS managed to make every possible choice to make that decision even worse. They seriously need to just de-canonize the ST and try again.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I INSIST that hiring Jar Jar Abrams in the first place is the worst thing that could've ever happened to Star Wars.

The entire sequel trilogy is built on the castle of sand that is TFA, and that's where the root of all of its problems lie.
i generally enjoyed(and still do to a certain extent) TFA, but this is 100% spot on

everdom

Oct 29, 2017
Just so so bad. I know TFA had its issues but I think if they had continued at that quality for TROS it would have at least been "yeah, that's fine". JJ has single handedly (slight exaggeration) set back the main Star Wars story for like 15 years because people will need to forget or have TROS explained away.

My main gripe is that every star destroyer is a Death Star now.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Just so so bad. I know TFA had its issues but I think if they had continued at that quality for TROS it would have at least been "yeah, that's fine". JJ has single handedly (slight exaggeration) set back the main Star Wars story for like 15 years because people will need to forget or have TROS explained away.

My main gripe is that every star destroyer is a Death Star now.

Its a huge universe, and the skywalker story is supposed to be done.

It's simple, you tell new stories. It's a massive universe, give us new stories and good ones and folks will enjoy it. Stop making Star Wars the smalled universe out there where everyone knows everyone and it's all connected to the same plot. Really while I loved it, I still hate how Mando season 2 decided to shrink down the universe once again by making it all connected. We don't need this to tell good stories, there is so much to do in such a vast universe of millions of planets

everdom

Oct 29, 2017
Its a huge universe, and the skywalker story is supposed to be done.

It's simple, you tell new stories. It's a massive universe, give us new stories and good ones and folks will enjoy it. Stop making Star Wars the smalled universe out there where everyone knows everyone and it's all connected to the same plot. Really while I loved it, I still hate how Mando season 2 decided to shrink down the universe once again by making it all connected. We don't need this to tell good stories, there is so much to do in such a vast universe of millions of planets

I agree, there are way more and better stories to be told, but the wind has completely gone from he cinematic release sails.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It is worse the more it is explained.

I'm sure Filoni could BS something a bit more palatable, I mean he's already protrayed the cloning efforts of the empire remnants in a much more interesting way.

But I feel the core explanation they came up with is just Fucked Up Beyond Repair and does irreparable damage to the themes in ROTJ

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This. Fucking HELL just erase this Abrams ass shit. Don't bother explaining some botched hack job. It's fucking stupid even if I know how it all works. Just fucking ignore this shit, man.

So ignore it? It's a couple sentences in a random lore book, folks really upset about this.

I agree, there are way more and better stories to be told, but the wind has completely gone from he cinematic release sails.

Star Wars is doing just fine, TROS still made over 1 Bil, the Mandalorian has been massive for the brand. Really folks are going too far with how "damaged" the brand is after one movie. It survived a trilogy of awful prequel films, Star Wars will be just fine.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't seem that way. TROS did very well and everything on Disney Plus is quite popular and well received. The next full-length film will probably do well even if it's a TROS or Solo level of critical and fan disdain and the brand seems as strong as ever. Internet fans have largely complained about the latest movie, or re-release, in the series for the last 30ish years online and that didn't stop the prequel or sequel trilogy from doing well financially.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It doesn't seem that way. TROS did very well and everything on Disney Plus is quite popular and well received. The next full-length film will probably do well even if it's a TROS or Solo level of critical and fan disdain and the brand seems as strong as ever. Internet fans have largely complained about the latest movie, or re-release, in the series for the last 30ish years online and that didn't stop the prequel or sequel trilogy from doing well financially.

This is true, IF the sequel trilogy managed to grab kids like the prequels did no amount of internet backlash will stop them from being relevant.

You have hundreds of posters here constantly Pikachu facing at how well received the return of prequel actors and stories are nowadays after 2 decades of "Have you seen the Plinkett reviews? The stench of the prequels will ruin any SW story that dares touch them". When it was the absolute expected outcome.

But here's the thing, I just don't see the ST having kids loving it as "their" Star Wars. I see much more love from them towards The Mandalorian. Time will tell though.

everdom

Oct 29, 2017

But in a world where Disney owns the IP, not even knowing what the next cinematic Star Wars movie being released is absolutely nuts. I'm a long time fan of Star Wars, and I honestly liked TFA and loved TLJ for what they were trying to do and did. TROS was just so titanically bad that it retroactively made the rest of the ST worse.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The "make Ben good" mandate came from KK, not JJ.
Everyone just blames JJ, but this is Disney, Lucasfilm, Kennedy, and a giant list of folks fault who even let it happen. They could have changed the movie and done other things, but they all just let JJ do it with his cowriter who also is to blame.

It's also Disney's fault the whole thing was a rushed mess and likely a big reason for how bad it came out, they were determined at a release date, they had a writer and director all way along in production and then fired. JJ and his cowriter had to come up with a new script in a short span of time and it shows they went with the super lazy easy route. Why did no one at Lucasfilm, Disney, or Kathy get involved and stop this, they were involved as well and they didn't like the direction the movie was going with the previous director.

The whole ST is a mess of planning on Lucasfilm's part, they should have managed the whole project better.
Noted. It still is what it is, and Kennedy and Disney should've planned better. It's wild to me that they were just going with the flow for two movies and the moment there was any sort of negativity towards a movie (TLJ) they panicked.

Ultimately it's not the end of the world. I think my time for being mad about it was 5 minutes after leaving the theater after viewing TROS the first (and only) time. But it does bum me out that that movie seems next to impossible to "fix". TCW only worked because it had multiple seasons, Filoni is the only one who "speaks" Lucas, and most importantly: the prequels had a consistent narrative written and directed by the same guy across 3 movies. This book was never going to be enough.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
They were better off NOT explaining anything.

Just let fans speculate. Hell, they'd probably come up with better ideas anyway.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing that after all the people talking shit about how "glad" they are that the old EU got deprecated, Disney has now come along and made a new EU that's even worse than the old one.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
This is true, IF the sequel trilogy managed to grab kids like the prequels did no amount of internet backlash will stop them from being relevant.

You have hundreds of posters here constantly Pikachu facing at how well received the return of prequel actors and stories are nowadays after 2 decades of "Have you seen the Plinkett reviews? The stench of the prequels will ruin any SW story that dares touch them". When it was the absolute expected outcome.

But here's the thing, I just don't see the ST having kids loving it as "their" Star Wars. I see much more love from them towards The Mandalorian. Time will tell though.
I work with children and Star Wars stuff has been consistently popular with kids since TFA. There are more mandalorian backpacks and hoodies now, but that seems more recency than anything since that's what's on the shelves. Same way I see more Infinity War stuff Last year vs generic Iron Man. The nostalgia cycle is powerful.
But in a world where Disney owns the IP, not even knowing what the next cinematic Star Wars movie being released is absolutely nuts. I'm a long time fan of Star Wars, and I honestly liked TFA and loved TLJ for what they were trying to do and did. TROS was just so titanically bad that it retroactively made the rest of the ST worse.
I think the next one is schedules for 2023, I think it got pushed back last year from 2022 due to covid.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
They were better off NOT explaining anything.

Just let fans speculate. Hell, they'd probably come up with better ideas anyway.

Why let it bother you? It's a couple sentences in a random lore book that only a few people will even read. All this was already known from different sources anyways, this is just it all collected in one spot describing the whole thing.

There is people who care, trust me there is lot of die hards that do, so this is for them. If you don't care, then why even bother reading this?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Why let it bother you? It's a couple sentences in a random lore book that only a few people will even read. All this was already known from different sources anyways, this is just it all collected in one spot describing the whole thing.

There is people who care, trust me there is lot of die hards that do, so this is for them. If you don't care, then why even bother reading this?

Because I'm a Star Wars fan and this sounds like lazy backstory filler.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
How many books do we need to attempt to retroactively massage how shit RoS was? This is getting stupid

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Because I'm a Star Wars fan and this sounds like lazy backstory filler.

Leaving holes in the lore pisses off star wars fans too. Is it lazy? Of course, but it still needs to be done to satisfy many of the fans. Folks are never going to be happy with the story, so just move on from it, but for those that do care, well here it is. The entire sith book is filler material for the entire saga, it's what it's for.

How many books do we need to attempt to retroactively massage how shit RoS was? This is getting stupid

They pretty much have done none for this purpose. This is all info that was already known just gathered in one place, it's also a tiny snippet of a much larger book about the Sith in general. Here's a couple sentences in a huge book that is not about this topic.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
ANAKIN'S BLOODLINE! of 2 people!

LOL

what anakin bloodline exactly???

luke and Ben

and that's it.

not even anakin cared so much about his bloodline than crazy fans.

also skywalker wasn't even his last name. it was his mom's.

And Leia and yes, that's a bloodline. It doesn't matter how many descendants you have. Not sure why the number matters.

What are you talking about? I'm saying that Palpaltine pulled one over on Anakin.

Anakin's bloodline went extinct because of the Palpatines (hell, Palestine outlived Anakin and Luke) and Rey is draping herself in Anakin's surname while she prounces around. That's all. All Skywalker heroes from now on will be actual Palpatines.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can tell rise of skywalker is a movie nobody making it was happy to put out so why do they keep trying to save this mess lmao

just retcon it out, get rian to write the replacement movie, do a big marketing campaign to convince people the movie didnt exist

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
you can tell rise of skywalker is a movie nobody making it was happy to put out so why do they keep trying to save this mess lmao

just retcon it out, get rian to write the replacement movie, do a big marketing campaign to convince people the movie didnt exist

Movie made over a billion, was still successful, Star Wars doing well everywhere in sales. They have no reason to care as the casual public just doesn't care, they have no reason to waste time retconning the movie out with another movie.

They already got a ton of TV shows, new books, comics, and movies in the works as well. They don't need to bother with ep.9 anymore.

And again why is everyone so out of shape about this, it's literally some random writer putting down some notes of lore in a small lore book that is not even going to be a big seller. It's not like this was a big effort or any waste of time.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And Leia and yes, that's a bloodline. It doesn't matter how many descendants you have. Not sure why the number matters.

What are you talking about? I'm saying that Palpaltine pulled one over on Anakin.

Anakin's bloodline went extinct because of the Palpatines (hell, Palestine outlived Anakin and Luke) and Rey is draping herself in Anakin's surname while she prounces around. That's all. All Skywalker heroes from now on will be actual Palpatines.

anakin didnt even had a father.

if anything you should worry about Shmi bloodline, not Anakin.

Also Anakin was already a Palpatine, given that the manipulation of the midi-chlorians by Palpatine is what made Anakin being born.

even after that.

WHO CARES ABOUT FICTIONAL BLOODLINES ABOUT MAKE BELIEVE SILLY SPACE STORIES

holy shit.

HOW DARE REY USE THE SKYWALKER NAME!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also Ren killing Snoke was apparently part of the plan and Snoke obviously wasn't up for that
Then how was he being manipulated to do anything
(Palpatine creating really feels like was thrown in there without thought)
Gonna guess that they're eventually gonna revea that there's some subtle programming there but that Snoke has free will.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Look, this is obviously stupid. What is just unbelievable to me is how poorly this story was told! There was absolutely no seeding of this being true, and it's so clear that the ball was dropped entirely on overseeing THE LARGEST MEDIA FRANCHISE IN THE WORLD! How does that happen?

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they double down further on this stuff and show more of it in Live Action, Mando could use some more of this but Ahsoka will hopefully lend more Jedi/Sith related information. Loved TROS and how they reimagined these concepts from the EU.

One could argue the mantle lives on in her as Ben literally passed his life force on to Rey. She was reborn with the life force of a Skywalker, no harm in her taking that name and choosing who she wants to be. I found it quite a good choice.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Hope they double down further on this stuff and show more of it in Live Action, Mando could use some more of this but Ahsoka will hopefully lend more Jedi/Sith related information. Loved TROS and how they reimagined these concepts from the EU.

One could argue the mantle lives on in her as Ben literally passed his life force on to Rey. She was reborn with the life force of a Skywalker, no harm in her taking that name and choosing who she wants to be. I found it quite a good choice.

That's....not how bloodlines work. Also I'm talking about this from a different perspective than you are. You're talking about it from Rey's perspective, I am not.

anakin didnt even had a father.

if anything you should worry about Shmi bloodline, not Anakin.

Also Anakin was already a Palpatine, given that the manipulation of the midi-chlorians by Palpatine is what made Anakin being born.

even after that.

WHO CARES ABOUT FICTIONAL BLOODLINES ABOUT MAKE BELIEVE SILLY SPACE STORIES

holy shit.

HOW DARE REY USE THE SKYWALKER NAME!

Yes, Anakin's bloodline is Shmi's bloodline but I'm using Anakin because he's the prime figure of the Skywalkers not Shmi. Why are you even using that as a counter-argument?

Palpatine wasn't Anakin's dad and not a Palpatine. It's just a cool theory but even if it were true Anakin doesn't share genes with Palpatine and none of the Skywalkers would be considered descendants of Palpatine's.

Apparently JJ cares since he made Rey part of Palpatine's bloodline. I'd be more convinced if Rey was a nobody taking the Skywalker name.

Also the point was that Palpatine got the last laugh over Anakin because Palpatine is a character that does care about bloodlines and power.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Everyone hot to blame JJ, but it was Lucas execs that wanted Palpatine in to book end thr 9 films and Terrio was hired to write it in :🤷:

I still have JJ a lot of love for what he brought to Star Wars and any sourness I have lingering is mostly poor planning on executives end to rush out 3 films in such a short time frame instead of treating the property with more reverence from the beginning.

Im feeling like they are now, but initially ir was 3 films rushed out to make back their investment. The films are entertaining but could have just brought more to the world than it did it it was more creatively driven from the jump

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
That's....not how bloodlines work. Also I'm talking about this from a different perspective than you are. You're talking about it from Rey's perspective, I am not.

Yes, Anakin's bloodline is Shmi's bloodline but I'm using Anakin because he's the prime figure of the Skywalkers not Shmi. Why are you even using that as a counter-argument?

Palpatine wasn't Anakin's dad and not a Palpatine. It's just a cool theory but even if it were true Anakin doesn't share genes with Palpatine and none of the Skywalkers would be considered descendants of Palpatine's.

Apparently JJ cares since he made Rey part of Palpatine's bloodline. I'd be more convinced if Rey was a nobody taking the Skywalker name.

Also the point was that Palpatine got the last laugh over Anakin because Palpatine is a character that does care about bloodlines and power.

In no way did Palpatine get the last laugh, yes the evil sith lord is pumped that his force impotent clone had a daughter who killed him and took the mantle of skywalker as the galaxy's new Master of the Jedi. He definitely won out. I swear everyone so mad about bloodlines makes a bigger deal of it than the source material.

Who cares if she's a nobody/skywalker/palpatine. That's not what defines a person, it's your choices, and that's her whole jam. They already did the noboy storyline with anakin, the fatherless slave child on a backwater planet. Rey being a new no one to become aomeone is just as redundant as any other choice they could have gone with.

All this complaining over the TROS is pretty misguided. I hope eventually they keep making stores in this era so the haters just give up on the franchise at this point, it's so annoying to hear the same tired arguments that pop up in anything SW related

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
In no way did Palpatine get the last laugh, yes the evil sith lord is pumped that his force impotent clone had a daughter who killed him and took the mantle of skywalker as the galaxy's new Master of the Jedi. He definitely won out. I swear everyone so mad about bloodlines makes a bigger deal of it than the source material.

Who cares if she's a nobody/skywalker/palpatine. That's not what defines a person, it's your choices, and that's her whole jam. They already did the noboy storyline with anakin, the fatherless slave child on a backwater planet. Rey being a new no one to become aomeone is just as redundant as any other choice they could have gone with.

All this complaining over the TROS is pretty misguided. I hope eventually they keep making stores in this era so the haters just give up on the franchise at this point, it's so annoying to hear the same tired arguments that pop up in anything SW related

As long as his bloodline lives and Rey procreates, you will always have some of his descendants turn toward evil. That's how the main saga is built. And the point was that he won out over Anakin. Palpatine was reveling in killing the last Skywalker when he thought he killed Ben.

Anakin is not a nobody. He's literally the Chosen One and Lucas even compares him to demigods who have human mothers but the gods were their father.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the saddest things about the new trilogy is that it started off as wanting to tell its own story that pays homage to the original trilogy but tries to follow its own steps and for one movie we had that with TLJ which, despite some flaws, really made the new trilogy feel like its own story, but then they dragged it back to the original one and every aspect that had been built up, up to that point, suffered immensely from it, least of which Palpatine which was honestly worse than my worst expectations for the movie.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
As long as his bloodline lives and Rey procreates, you will always have some of his descendants turn toward evil. That's how the main saga is built. And the point was that he won out over Anakin. Palpatine was reveling in killing the last Skywalker when he thought he killed Ben.

Anakin is not a nobody. He's literally the Chosen One and Lucas even compares him to demigods who have human mothers but the gods were their father.

Right, so because someone who was no one becomes the hero then they were never no one to begin with. COnceptually the world of Star Wars has no one, because the force wills things such as Anakin or a force dyad into existance. There are no coincidences in Star Wars so everyone shouldn't be mad about anything in relation to her ancestry as it doesnt matter who does what in the universe it's all being guided by the Force anyway.

It's such a pointless fruitless conversation for everyone to be going on about. It is what it is y'all

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Right, so because someone who was no one becomes the hero then they were never no one to begin with. COnceptually the world of Star Wars has no one, because the force wills things such as Anakin or a force dyad into existance. There are no coincidences in Star Wars so everyone shouldn't be mad about anything in relation to her ancestry as it doesnt matter who does what in the universe it's all being guided by the Force anyway.

It's such a pointless fruitless conversation for everyone to be going on about. It is what it is y'all

Where did I say " because someone who was no one becomes the hero then they were never no one to begin with" that?

The Force dyad concept was created for the sequels. When people talk about a no one-type character they mean a character that isn't descended from anyone nor some hero of prophecy. Just have Rey be what Episode VIII stated she was and we're good. She didn't need to be Palpatine's grand-daughter to matter.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Rise of Skywalker is easily the dumbest Star Wars movie. Hard to beat some Jar Jar bullshit but JJ pulled it off

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rise of Skywalker is easily the dumbest Star Wars movie. Hard to beat some Jar Jar bullshit but JJ pulled it off

I mean, Jar Jar, Watto and the Nemoidians are still disgusting racist stereotypes so they still got the ST beat in that department

*remembers that in TROS Poe used to be a drug smuggler*

Ugh, nevermind...