• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Agreed, the Palestinian National Authority is bigoted. So is Israel However, this ban accurately reflects the ideals the Palestinian people: who are by a vast majority composed of bigoted anti-gay Muslims. This is statement is not stereotyping. This is not Islamophobia. This should be an freely voiced progressive position. Anyone who values civil rights should view socially conservative Muslims in the same light as a Republican from Alabama. They are statistically evangelical southern baptists on crack.

_107469829_ab_sexuality_facet-nc.png

It is indeed a major problem in the Middle East. The PA just made things worse as they always do.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not whataboutism when what's being pointed has everything to do with the problem discussed.

The thing is, in that region is not just LGBT rights. It's EVERYONE's rights. It's not like in the US where the "all lives matters" is bullshit, in this case the Palestine Authority is part of the bigger problem of the region, using the LGBT rights as hostage just as Israel (AKA The "beacon" of LGBT rights") blackmail LGBT palestine people for information. Is a place where Palestine people are killed just for being what they are, and the PA is making it worse for LGBT people.

I'm not acting like there aren't major LGBT problems in the Middle East. And they won't go away since there are major fundamentalists at play.This is an announcement made by the shithead Palestine Authority since it wasn't banned before.

Again, if Trumps does the same, it will have support in the US. He is part of that major problem. Now think that Trump pacts with people that kills and tortures for ethnic and geopolitical purposes. Who also extorsion the people he's banning for that very discrimination. Think about that.

And in your opinion, where do these LGBT problems in the ME come from?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
These shitheads deserve to lose everything they have.

Seriously though, this could actually lead to a nontrivial improvement in human rights around the world.

Of course, then you'd have extremists whining about persecution.

"Boohoo, what about my right to be an irrational bigoted asshole who makes everyone's lives worse based on made up nonsense?"
Aren't they already doing that tho?
Just look at the right-wing tweets during the proud boys vs antifa showdown this WE, they're always spinning "news" in their favor.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Months): Minimizing and defending the violent oppression of LGBT people
The discussion wasn't "What regional dictatorships is Israel buddies with". Homosexuality is punishable almost everywhere in MENA bar Jordan, Bahrain and Iraq.
Do you have numbers of gay people who have been killed in Saudi Arabia for who they are?

Honestly, im sick of western people speaking like they know shit about the middle east where all they know is what the media falsly give them.

Homosexuality in Saudi Arabia is more common than anywhere in any western country, as an act not an identity, and due to how common it is, it is very overlooked, it is almost considered normal.
Sure, the goverment publicly denounce Homosexuality to maintain its image as a fundamental Islamic state, but in reality it is very tolerable.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Do you have numbers of gay people who have been killed in Saudi Arabia for who they are?

Honestly, im sick of western people speaking like they know shit about the middle east where all they know is what the media falsly give them.

Homosexuality in Saudi Arabia is more common than anywhere in any western country, as an act not an identity, and due to how common it is, it is very overlooked, it is almost considered normal.
Sure, the goverment publicly denounce Homosexuality to maintain its image as a fundamental Islamic state, but in reality it is very tolerable.

Really? Why were these five men beheaded?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

heh, this is good stuff.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

Oh you know what, if you really want to go down this street, I'll go there, you just won't like the neighborhood. I'd drop the righteous indignation if I I were you.

Last edited:

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

You're conflating sex between same-sex people as being equivalent to people who actively identify as LGBT.

Even in the West, there are plenty of non-LGBT people who sleep with same-sex partners. It isn't equivalent, and you're obviously not that knowledgeable of actual LGBT people who identify as such, Who wish to live their lives out in the open and not pretending.

An open homosexual relationship, being on show on SA and being ignored and not an issue? Well, I'd certainly need to see your receipts for that.

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fuck am I reading? Homosexuality isn't more common over there because that isn't how homosexuality works.

Your whole post is homophobic.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lol.

Awwww. C'mon guys. Let's give them a pass. Being homosexual is overlooked and almost considered normal!!!

Fuck off with that.

Oct 25, 2017

What
the
Fuck

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND

fuck off with these blatant lies lmao, jesus christ.

you deserve a ban not for just that but your homophobia too

in reality it isn't tolerable at all, the police will fucking beat you to near death in KSA if they see same-sex activity, like kissing, in public. then you are charged. if you are a repeat offender you are fucking executed for it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it's the most progressive and openminded part of the world.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this so much. But I'm just so fucking ANGRY that they would do this to us. It's suicidally stupid too. Actively criminalising your allies is hardly a clever strategy when you're already on the brink of annihilation. Fuck, it's just painful. I wanna support them but they evidently don't want my support. Like, you can hardly blame people for losing interest in their cause when they give us a big fuck you. Where's the precedent? Were there LGBT terror attacks against Muslims in the country? Nope, there never was, as per usual.

Once again, the LGBT people lose and have to perpetually fight to justify their existence even towards those oppressed themselves, just as we always have and will continue to do so.
This, this so much.

I'm tired of this shit. All my fellow brothers and sisters in other countries are suffering and being killed because we are an easy scapegoat. Fuck that shit and can't tolerste it.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

WTF

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, proper viewpoint about matters such as these require investments in education, and communication with other culture.

It's hard to do that when you're facing genocidal attempt from a militaristic entity hell bent on erasing you from the world every single day.

Yeah. I'm gay, but if we can accept that oppression is all interwoven with each other, it becomes illegitimate from a melioristic perspective to examine one dimension of these systems of oppression to the exclusion of the others. It's sad, but I'd honestly expect some mock- representative power of a people under extreme duress to seed their own vicious and inhumane divisions within the population almost as a kind of grotesque and diversionary coping mechanism (a kind of fascist oppression within the fascist oppression). Obviously it's bad, but it emerges from conditions that are at least as bad and far more pervasive. And I think we all know on an intuitive level that personal and social growth arises from a kind of surplus personal and social value, and right now it seems like those resources of the Palestinian people are mostly being occupied and depleted just by attempts to survive. It's clearly not right, but it honestly seems utterly foolish to expect anything else, and if we have any mind of changing it, should reserve more of our condemnation for the institutional and militarized ethnic cleansing which, surprise, might make a people subjected to it a bit more self-occupied or cold-hearted.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Topic has slid from people using this as an excuse to bash the Palestinian cause to somehow trying to downplay the extreme homophobia in the middle east. Yikes.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I think people get so (understandably) preoccupied with Israel's atrocities that they tend to forget that the PA aren't exactly "good" guys in this whole thing, despite being on the ropes.
This. In the last five years, I feel like the Israel-Palestine conflict went from gray complex quagmire to an over-simplified "Israel bad! Palestine good!" position for the left in the US. Though the current Israel PM certainly helped things along.
I feel this idea of thinking of any people on this Earth as "good guys" or "bad guys" isn't helpful. The world isn't a Hollywood flick. Humans are humans, capable of both the greatest kindness and the worst atrocities, quite often produced by the same person.
That's not to excuse any of this - this decision is bigoted as fuck and the PA can go fuck themselves - but I just feel that's a more mature outlook, and it explains why minorities affected by discrimination are often just as racist/hateful to some other minority group. People don't change, and they hardly ever learn to generalize their own experience on to others.
Very well said.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
This. In the last five years, I feel like the Israel-Palestine conflict went from gray complex quagmire to an over-simplified "Israel bad! Palestine good!" position for the left in the US. Though the current Israel PM certainly helped things along.
Bibi's love of the status quo because it helps him stay on the PM chair destroys any chance of anything in the region (and internally in Israel itself). That guy really needs to go and fast, hopefully, it will happen in September.

I really don't understand why people can't say fuck the Israeli government, fuck Hamas and fuck the PA. It's not like these things are mutually exclusive, all three are holding the Palestinians hostage and the fact that the Palestinians live under occupation doesn't mean that both the PA and Hamas treatment of the LGBQ+ community should get a pass.

Last edited:

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anybody expect religious conservatives to be sympathetic to the LGBT community? Oppressed people are quite capable of being oppressive themselves.

pgtl_10

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, the Palestinian National Authority is bigoted. So is Israel. However, this ban accurately reflects the ideals the Palestinian people: who are by a vast majority composed of bigoted anti-gay Muslims. This statement is not stereotyping. This is not Islamophobia. This should be an freely voiced progressive position. Anyone who values civil rights should view socially conservative Muslims in the same light as a Republican from Alabama. They are statistically evangelical southern baptists on crack.

_107469829_ab_sexuality_facet-nc.png

Could you please give me a link to this? I'm curious about this list of acceptable practices. The numbers frankly don't add up.

As a Palestinian, I find the PA's decision terrible and immoral against freedom and abusing innocent people.

As for all the people who claim they were pro Palestinian but now are neutral or pro-Israel, I call that short leash prejudice. Short leash prejudice allows people to act like they are giving all sides a fair chance but the prejudice are just looking for an excuse to bash the people they hate. Something tells me these very same people would never hold Western countries to such a standard as taking positions as to changing stances on oppression of one group because they are not perfect human beings. I like to remind people that Texas overwhelmingly voted against gay marriage but I highly doubt people support taking Texans freedom because of it.

I also noticed somebody making a remark about Palestinians are trying to create an Islamic state. The idea behind that remark is to make the Palestinian struggle look like an ISIS like caliphate. This takes away the multiple perspectives Palestinians have and tries to make people believe there is one belief among all Palestinians. The poster is really trying to create the impression that Israel is fighting against Islamic radicalism. Another poster is trying desperately to blame the entire the Palestinian population while hiding behind LGBT rights. It's shameful but unsurprising.

Kudos to all those genuinely concerned about Palestinian LGBT and can separate issues. Palestinian society needs to be more of LGBT and other minorities. The PA did an immoral thing banning the events/meetings. To all others who act like this is the straw that broke the camel's back, you weren't pro-Palestinian to begin with. You were just waiting for the perfect excuse to hide your anti-Palestinian stance behind.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate but also unsurprising. They are an underdeveloped "nation" that is also ultra religious, heck they've elected Hamas that's considered a terror organisation in the early 2000s

This is not gonna stop my goodwill, what Israel is doing is still heinous and there is no chance for improvement until Palestine gains independence and security.
Pretty much.

What they are doing is terrible, but nothing will change if the Israel oppression continues.

Could you please give me a link to this? I'm curious about this list of acceptable practices. The numbers frankly don't add up.

As a Palestinian, I find the PA's decision terrible and immoral against freedom and abusing innocent people.

As for all the people who claim they were pro Palestinian but now are neutral or pro-Israel, I call that short leash prejudice. Short leash prejudice allows people to act like they are giving all sides a fair chance but the prejudice are just looking for an excuse to bash the people they hate. Something tells me these very same people would never hold Western countries to such a standard as taking positions as to changing stances on oppression of one group because they are not perfect human beings. I like to remind people that Texas overwhelmingly voted against gay marriage but I highly doubt people support taking Texans freedom because of it.

I also noticed somebody making a remark about Palestinians are trying to create an Islamic state. The idea behind that remark is to make the Palestinian struggle look like an ISIS like caliphate. This takes away the multiple perspectives Palestinians have and tries to make people believe there is one belief among all Palestinians. The poster is really trying to create the impression that Israel is fighting against Islamic radicalism. Another poster is trying desperately to blame the entire the Palestinian population while hiding behind LGBT rights. It's shameful but unsurprising.

Kudos to all those genuinely concerned about Palestinian LGBT and can separate issues. Palestinian society needs to be more of LGBT and other minorities. The PA did an immoral thing banning the events/meetings. To all others who act like this is the straw that broke the camel's back, you weren't pro-Palestinian to begin with. You were just waiting for the perfect excuse to hide your anti-Palestinian stance behind.

Good post lad.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
The Middle East is going to take decades to budge if at all on this. We just got the first Asian country to legalize same-sex marriage (what's up Taiwan, proud of you) with maybe Thailand and Vietnam to follow, and east/southeast Asia are not that religious at all, just fairly conservative. So that's two big hurdles to overcome, religious bigotry and social conservatism, before folks over there stop being shitlords.

it's called civil partnerships/union bill.
I heard the bill still have a problem.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

The link to the BBC was in my post you quoted.

As for the rest of your post, it's hurtful to say LGBT rights is something people posting here "hide behind" to become pro-Israel, when it's a global civil rights crisis of our modern age. With new information, people's opinions will change. Posters here should not be sympathetic to Palestine when evidence shows it's not just the PNA in a vacuum passing a shitty law - rather this legislation is further proof the vast majority of Palestinians are bigoted anti-LGBT conservatives.

Edit: I am also not pro-Israel if you read my opening paragraph. And based of what I've read so far in this thread - I'm not seeing much of a pro-Israel sentiment here. Understand, being anti-Palestine does not equate to pro-Israel.

Last edited:

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

No, I'm sorry but that's wrong, at least in some instances. I'm not pro-israel as that gov't performs horrible acts, but I'm also not going to lose sleep over people who would like to see me in the very best scenario imprisoned, or in the very worst outright killed. That doesn't apply to all Palestinians of course, as there are good and bad everywhere, but you have to admit that evil sentiment is high among the population because of religious zealotry. I don't care about Bible thumpers in Texas or anywhere else in the West that advocate those values either.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile

As for the rest of your post, it's hurtful to say LGBT rights is something people posting here "hide behind" to become pro-Israel, when it's a global civil rights crisis of our modern age. With new information, people's opinions will change. Posters here should not be sympathetic to Palestine when evidence shows it's not just the PNA in a vacuum passing a shitty law - rather this legislation is further proof the vast majority of Palestinians are bigoted anti-LGBT conservatives.

Edit: I am also not pro-Israel if you read my opening paragraph. And based of what I've read so far in this thread - I'm not seeing much of a pro-Israel sentiment here. Understand, being anti-Palestine does not equate to pro-Israel.

Friendly reminder that Homosexuality is still legal in the West-Bank and has been since 1951. While that still leaves Palestine being miles away from how we would like it to be, this shitty legislation is not banning homosexuality but activism on the subject.

What you say is akin to saying that we shouldn't be sympathetic to the US's problems when evidence shows that a good portion of the US are bigoted anti-LGBT conservatives (specially with who's their leader).

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its almost like people are surprised that hardline Muslim led "countries" don't tolerate LGBT activity...

I mean you can extend that to just about any conservative religious state.

And there are many examples where sexual orientation isn't even a protected characteristic (its shocking but true) - Japan being one such country where you'd really expect them to be better but they are not. You can pretty much judge how right wing a country is based on their discrimination laws....

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
One of the major problems with modern ideologue politics is the idea that you have to pick a side in the Israel Palestinian conflicts and that side reflects your political preference. What Israel does is wrong - but lets not pretend its as clear as "good and bad". It really, really isn't. As this particular example shows.

Don't pick sides. Just acknowledge that persecution of people in all forms needs to stop.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that Homosexuality is still legal in the West-Bank and has been since 1951. While that still leaves Palestine being miles away from how we would like it to be, this shitty legislation is not banning homosexuality but activism on the subject.

What you say is akin to saying that we shouldn't be sympathetic to the US's problems when evidence shows that a good portion of the US are bigoted anti-LGBT conservatives (specially with who's their leader).
This seems like a disingenous comparison to try to excuse the behavior, or make it seem the same as the US when it's not.

Hamas executed one of their own for being gay in 2016. https://www.newsweek.com/prominent-hamas-commander-was-executed-after-accusations-gay-sex-432343

It's not just a few bigots, the vast majority of the population do not support LGBT rights.

The study wrote that a mere 5% of Palestinians from the West Bank accepted same-sex relations. Palestinians in the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip were not surveyed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry but are you straight? This is what I meant when I said that you come off as if you're defending/deflecting. I don't think you understand the severity of the situation here, what's the point of a ''friendly reminder'' that homosexuality is still legal? It doesn't really matter much when there's already so much homophobia around you.

Your comparison is absolutely horrid because percentage wise the US has much, much less homophobia, and the anti-LGBT situation in Islamic countries is much more severe and dangerous compared to homophobic examples in the US like not being able to get a wedding cake at some cake shops.

I live in a country with better LGBT rights than the US, but I can't overstate how much I'd rather live in Texas than Palestine or anywhere else in the ME.

pgtl_10

Jul 29, 2019

Except the idea that people's opinions change because of new information is a common anti-Palestinian argument that I see often. People who act like they are applying an equal standard when in reality they would never support an illegal occupation of Texas because they voted against gay marriage.

What I am seeing in this thread are people acting like they apply similar standards but in reality they don't. Furthermore other people are not trying to make pro-Israel posts but instead sweeping generalizations about the Palestinians in hopes of getting people to either support the Israeli regime policies or let the Palestinians burn.

It reminds me of the Jewish Israeli activitist who stop being pro-Palestinian because he saw a Palestinian farmer having chickens in a cage. Of course, there are probably multiple Israeli farming practices that the activist was against but he probably never held Israelis the intense standards he held the Palestinians.

pgtl_10

Jul 29, 2019
I also find it interesting that people are saying see there is no good or bad side to the conflict. It's a common pro-Israeli argument that the conflict is complicated. It's designed to ensure people don't take action one or the other which benefits Zionism.

Of course one could say that Israel is doing wrong to the Palestinians. One could also say that the Palestinian authority did wrong by condemning this group. However, when one makes the argument that it's not so simple they are really trying don't support Palestinians or let Israel do what they want.

The hypocrisy in this thread is typical but as a Palestinian I've seen it all.

Also by all accounts of the Palestinian LGBT group the event had already taken place in Nablus so the article is misleading.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at anyone saying this fucks with the goodwill they have, they shouldn't need to have good will for you to have immense empathy and sympathy for their situation. And as if the authority represents all the people, the families and children suffering. Ridiculous.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This seems like a disingenous comparison to try to excuse the behavior, or make it seem the same as the US when it's not.

Hamas executed one of their own for being gay in 2016. https://www.newsweek.com/prominent-hamas-commander-was-executed-after-accusations-gay-sex-432343

It's not just a few bigots, the vast majority of the population do not support LGBT rights.

The study wrote that a mere 5% of Palestinians from the West Bank accepted same-sex relations. Palestinians in the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip were not surveyed.

I'm not excusing the behavior. I'm answering about being "anti-Palestine" because of this. LGBT people are killed for being who they are everywhere in the world. Palestine people are being killed for being, Palestine. I think being "anti Palestine" because of the PA is wrong.

Read what AlQaws has said on the subject. Let's imagine that LGBT were a racist majority, in that case, being "anti-Palestine" is like being "anti-LGBT" because of it. I don't know if I am expressing myself in the right way

I'm sorry but are you straight? This is what I meant when I said that you come off as if you're defending/deflecting. I don't think you understand the severity of the situation here, what's the point of a ''friendly reminder'' that homosexuality is still legal? It doesn't really matter much when there's already so much homophobia around you.

Your comparison is absolutely horrid because percentage wise the US has much, much less homophobia, and the anti-LGBT situation in Islamic countries is much more severe and dangerous compared to homophobic examples in the US like not being able to get a wedding cake at some cake shops.

I live in a country with better LGBT rights than the US, but I can't overstate how much I'd rather live in Texas than Palestine or anywhere else in the ME.

It's exactly why I'm saying that they are still miles away from what were we would like, or should be. I am well aware that legality doesn't grant tolerance, but this "friendly reminder" is because of the "anti-Palestine" as if it's ok being Anti-Palestine when we know what's going on there..

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Lol at anyone saying this fucks with the goodwill they have, they shouldn't need to have good will for you to have immense empathy and sympathy for their situation. And as if the authority represents all the people, the families and children suffering. Ridiculous.
People are willing to use any excuse to justify an opressive status quo. Look at how Israel, instead of commiserizing, simply uses it as a way to say they are barbarians and to justifiy their own atrocities.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

This is a really bad post. Honestly you ought to be fucking ashamed.

Here are all the states in which you are expressly not allowed to argue a "gay panic" defense for murder:

California
Nevada
Illinois
New York
Rhode Island
Connecticut
Maine
That's seven states. SEVEN.

Trump's administration has also been particularly aggressive in curtailing trans and nonbinary rights, including but obviously not limited to the ban on transgender people serving in the military.

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really bad post. Honestly you ought to be fucking ashamed.

Here are all the states in which you are expressly not allowed to argue a "gay panic" defense for murder:

California
Nevada
Illinois
New York
Rhode Island
Connecticut
Maine
That's seven states. SEVEN.

Trump's administration has also been particularly aggressive in curtailing trans and nonbinary rights, including but obviously not limited to the ban on transgender people serving in the military.

I wasn't trying to claim that that was the only LGBT issue in America with that example, so I apologise if it came off like that. Obviously there are still issues that need to be addressed in the US( and honestly, everywhere in the world).

I was trying to point out that being LGBT in the ME is more life threatening than in the US.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

With good reason, many liberal people are in no way sympathetic towards American anti-LGBT communities. Progressive people didn't just dance on the grave of Fred Phelps, they also danced on Billy Graham's grave (particularly on this forum).

Additionally - LGBT sentiment is not just "miles from what it should be" in the conservative Muslim community - rather it's outright disturbing how bigoted it truly is from top-to-bottom.