• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which do you prefer?

• The original

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • The remaster

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • I like both equally

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • I am a contrarian/thor 2

Votes: 15 10.0%

• Total voters

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though the new one is probably closer to how it really looks like, the old one feels way more warm so I like it more.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I love Carl Sagan, and that passage has always given me chills. It reminds me how insignificant we are, how big the universe is, and that our existence and all of the histories that we have ever known are condensed into that small dot. Both images are beautiful, though I think I'd prefer the original since the darker colors make it more somber (and it's the original).

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone who loves that passage needs to go buy the book Pale Blue Dot immediately.

It has a surprising amount of philosophy and when I was reading I realized that Sagan basically elucidated my own worldview. Someone called Sagan a modern prophet--I'm inclined to agree, because his writing showed me what religious writing one believes in must feel like.

I ended up not finishing it, but it's my favorite nonfiction book of all time

Oct 25, 2017
I like the OG because the pale blue dot is more vibrant.
But man the streaks in the remaster looks so colorful, if the blue dot was more blue I'd love it so much more than the OG.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make some snarky comment about the original being digital... but then I thought maybe it isn't? Is it analog or digital?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the remaster. A sea of blue, and we're just one slightly brighter blue pixel than the rest. The lessened color contrast emphasizes the feeling of our insignificance, makes us stand out even less in the unthinkable vastness.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the original, the image carries more resonance to me personally if the bright white dot that is the Earth is juxtaposed on a cold, dark background.

I like the remaster. A sea of blue, and we're just one slightly brighter blue pixel than the rest. The lessened color contrast emphasizes the feeling of our insignificance, makes us stand out even less in the unthinkable vastness.

Actually I might like this interpretation better.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So NASA finally shows proof. A dot is flat. It's not a Pale Blue Ball. And it's obviously sitting on flat ribbon of firmament, bathed in the chilly blue ice rays of the moon. And they deliberately flew too far away to capture details like the ice wall circumference. They want to keep the flow of Airline-collaboration money flowing into the Big (((Spheroid))) fallacy.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the most important photograph ever taken. It should be shown to every student in every class across the planet.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see reactions to that quote. It can either be (as it seems to mostly be here) uplifting or inspiring, or straight nihilism. One can read it as Sagan does; "be kind on our small home." Or read that first paragraph and get "none of it matters." If we blew ourselves up tomorrow, no one would be left to know or care.

I'm no such nihilist, but it's a fair read of the passage.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see reactions to that quote. It can either be (as it seems to mostly be here) uplifting or inspiring, or straight nihilism. One can read it as Sagan does; "be kind on our small home." Or read that first paragraph and get "none of it matters." If we blew ourselves up tomorrow, no one would be left to know or care.

I'm no such nihilist, but it's a fair read of the passage.

But arent both reads the point? This little speck of wonder could disappear and no outsider would likely miss it. At the same time, it is a marvel and we are the custodians of it. We are here, we can care and we can know both what we have and what we have lost.

Personally I like the original as it seems more solemn and lonely. The remaster looks too clean and the rays seem to overpower the subtlety of the shot.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite things about the picture is the "beam of sunlight" is a simple diffraction pattern that also serves to highlight and draw attention to Earth.

I guess in that respect, I prefer the original rendition.

Oct 27, 2017
Been meaning to post this (I have on social media when the photo was more trending):

Seeing this image and reading the Sagan passages lead me down a path trying to find the source of some of the samples at the beginning of the song Lif by Horse the Band:

There are parts from Apollo 8 and references to the Earthrise photo but I haven't found everything but my journey reading and watching docs on Apollo 8 was well worth it. Figured I'd share the song as it makes for a nice soundscape while browsing these images (they're a fav band of mine). This song is not as abrasive as what they're known for. It's more of an album closer instrumental that is meant to be like a fly through of the album in reverse order by way of featuring samples used throughout the album as the track before it dealt with space/time travel and a black hole (also a great track that starts aggressive and then the second half is a powerful, progressive instrumental jam that crescendos into the previously posted track)
I'll share that too while I'm here (it's basically Interstellar in post-hardcore form lol):