• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
I've never dealt with canvas before really. I'm getting an unstretched canvas in the mail, and I need to get it stretched. Are certain places better than others? Is there anything specific I should look for? The finished part is 24x24 and I believe there is a 2 inch border around the outside. Thank you for any help you can provide.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've never dealt with canvas before really. I'm getting an unstretched canvas in the mail, and I need to get it stretched. Are certain places better than others? Is there anything specific I should look for? The finished part is 24x24 and I believe there is a 2 inch border around the outside. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Any reason you want it outsourced? I personally wouldn't want to add up to 150 dollars of cost for getting a canvas stretched, especially since stretching a canvas is pretty straight forward and is def something you can do yourself which makes it much cheaper. Also once you have done it a few times its barely a hassle and is a great skill to be able to do yourself and thus allows you a lot of flexibility down the line in stretching canvas for unusual sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj-9E2IShWo is a pretty good video that shows you how its done.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want to do it yourself, maybe call up a local gallery and see if they have connections?

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
By finished you mean, the artwork already placed on the canvas, and the only thing you have to do is attached it to a frame?

Do you plan on do more paintings/art projects? If so then it will be cheaper to buy the tools and do it your self.

Local galleries, art supply stores, even local artists will be your best bet for outsourcing it.

OP
OP
Stanng243

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason you want it outsourced? I personally wouldn't want to add up to 150 dollars of cost for getting a canvas stretched, especially since stretching a canvas is pretty straight forward and is def something you can do yourself which makes it much cheaper. Also once you have done it a few times its barely a hassle and is a great skill to be able to do yourself and thus allows you a lot of flexibility down the line in stretching canvas for unusual sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj-9E2IShWo is a pretty good video that shows you how its done.
It's not really a skill I need. It's one canvas, and honestly I'd be too worried about damaging the artwork on it.
By finished you mean it's a print on canvas or just preprimed canvas that you're going to be painting on yourself?
By finished you mean, the artwork already placed on the canvas, and the only thing you have to do is attached it to a frame?

Do you plan on do more paintings/art projects? If so then it will be cheaper to buy the tools and do it your self.

Local galleries, art supply stores, even local artists will be your best bet for outsourcing it.
Yes, the artwork is on the canvas already. I have no artistic bent, I just wanted to support a good cause.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
It's not really a skill I need. It's one canvas, and honestly I'd be too worried about damaging the artwork on it.

then your best/safe option would just hire someone to do it. As others and myself mention, check with local art supply stores, galleries, or even put a blast out on social media asking if anyone knows how or knows someone who can help you.

FirstBlood

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
if you know anyone that went to art school you should ask them if they can help. You can grab a set of stretcher bars at any art supply store and it should be very easy. Or just ask at the art store if you can pay them.
Stretching canvas really only gets tricky once you start going bigger.