• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
  • Do you want to learn game development but your budget is literally zero?
  • Have you wanted to learn how to make a game for a while, but don't know where to even start?
  • Are you intimidated by the more technical parts of game development?
If the answer to any of the above is "yes", then this is the thread for you!

These days there's no shortage of tutorials to learn how to make games: There's so many, in fact, that the very task of deciding which ones to go with can feel overwhelming in itself, and second-guessing all the time if you should switch to a different set of tutorials can be very distracting. With this thread, I aim to alleviating as much as possible of that choice paralysis, and recommend just a couple of different options that I think are the cream of the crop as far as introductions to game development is concerned.

Word of warning that both of my picks focus on Unity. I personally think of Unity as the closest to the Goldilocks principle choice of "easy enough to get into, powerful enough to do whatever you want" there is in game development. Of course, everyone has its own favorite engine / environment, and Unity is not free of some bullshit, like every other one, but I've heard enough praise from people coming to Unity from other engines that I feel reasonably confident in recommending it. Additionally, an advantage to both picks being Unity-based, is that they can complement each other very well. You can follow one, the other, or both to get a wider, fuller understanding of Unity and game development as a whole.

Without further ado, here's my personal picks!

Pick #1: Michigan State University's Game Design and Development online courses

A bit of an intro here. I actually learned to use Unity with the previous, older version of these courses, and they were so good and engaging that in a couple of months I was entirely prepared to make my own game from scratch. The best news is that they've been recently completely reworked from the ground up to focus even more intensively on game development and are now entirely imparted by the one that's by far my favorite instructor of the older course, Brian Winn. I really can't overstate how engaging and entertaining he makes learning.

www.coursera.org

Game Design and Development with Unity 2020

Offered by Michigan State University. Launch Your Career in Game Design and Development. Learn the theory and practice of game making using ... Enroll for free.

These are fully fledged college courses that start from the very beginning with absolutely no assumptions about your skill level other than you can turn on a computer and use a mouse; this includes no prior experience with coding.

These are, in principle, paid courses (either on their own or as part of Coursera's subscription model), but there's a handy option to audit them for free. To do this, you need to click on each individual course (rather than the specialization), then click the "Enroll for Free" button (which will take you to a "try 7 days for free), then look for a tiny hyperlink at the very bottom (you may need to scroll down) that says "Audit the course". This will let you access all of the course materials for free without any time limit; you just don't get the exams or the certificate at the end.

Pick #2: Official Introduction to Unity, featuring the LEGO microgame

A partnership between Unity and LEGO, this brand new, interactive in-editor tutorial walks you through all of its features using a game created explicitly for that purpose, based on the well-known LEGO bricks and minifigures. Our very own member and aptly named GoldHeart has also partnered with Unity to bring you a step-by-step video walkthrough of how to download and use both Unity and the tutorial itself!

Feel free to post about your experiences with either (or both) of these courses, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck, too. :)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
For the last few years, I've really wanted to get into game design. I finally decided to learn a little coding to see if that would help set a foundation, but after a year of that, I still haven't gone back to learning a game engine. My intent was to learn Unreal, but I probably need to figure out what kind of game I want to make first before choosing an engine, right...?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should try something out of passion for once.

I thought if I did something practical with my life I'd have financial security, but that sure as fuck ain't working. I might as well have fun if I'm going to be poor the rest of my life.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That is awesome! Thanks.
After my thesis I will have some time to kill and I think I will do those classes.
They even say those courses take 5 months when doing 4hours per week.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
Thanks for this. I've thought about dipping my toes into game development, but I've always been overwhelmed with all of the options to get started.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wish I had any motivation left for anything.... the tools nowadays are sick.

Off to a great start, hahah. My advice would be to just click and watch GoldHeart's video and see if that piques your interest.

For the last few years, I've really wanted to get into game design. I finally decided to learn a little coding to see if that would help set a foundation, but after a year of that, I still haven't gone back to learning a game engine. My intent was to learn Unreal, but I probably need to figure out what kind of game I want to make first before choosing an engine, right...?

Absolutely do NOT start with Unreal especially if you intend to learn coding. The two approaches to Unreal are either code-free (using Blueprints), or very advanced coding (C++, which has manual memory allocation / deletion). Unity is a far better choice for learning to code (uses C# which is much more friendly and easier to get into).

Maybe I should try something out of passion for once.

I thought if I did something practical with my life I'd have financial security, but that sure as fuck ain't working. I might as well have fun if I'm going to be poor the rest of my life.

It's very risky to give anyone life advice, but certainly my biggest regret with game development is not having gotten into it earlier. If game dev is what you want to do, absolutely go for it, it's insanely rewarding.

That is awesome! Thanks.
After my thesis I will have some time to kill and I think I will do those classes.
They even say those courses take 5 months when doing 4hours per week.

You can definitely speedrun them if you have the free time. I did so with the earlier iteration (finished in about two months) and I never felt overwhelmed.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Weltall Zero Incredibly humbled that you actually went through the time to make this thread and featured me in it. Thank you very much!!

I hope that the Lego Microgame helps anyone interested in game dev take their first steps into the hobby/field! The Microgame is a ton of fun, and gamedev in general has been one of the most exciting adventures I've had in my life thus far.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for this. I've thought about dipping my toes into game development, but I've always been overwhelmed with all of the options to get started.

I know! I absolutely know. It's like sometimes you need, like, a sign from above, and I hope this thread can be that for some, in the same way the original courses were that for me years ago.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Weltall Zero Incredibly humbled that you actually went through the time to make this thread and featured me in it. Thank you very much!!

I hope that the Lego Microgame helps anyone interested in game dev take their first steps into the hobby/field! The Microgame is a ton of fun, and gamedev in general has been one of the most exciting adventures I've had in my life thus far.

I'm honored in turn to have your excellent work in the thread. Much love, man; your videos are amazing. <3

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Do you know how much it costs if take the pay option?

From the enroll page:

ā‚¬39 per month to continue learning after trial ends.
Go as fast as you can - the faster you go, the more you save.

The smartest / cheapest option would be to audit the courses first, then enroll and take all of the exams to get the certificate. I guess you could technically even do the latter within the free trial week and get the certificate for free? Hmmm...

Alternatively, you can sign up for Coursera Plus for ā‚¬325 a year which apparently gives you access to this and a lot of other courses.

(prices in Euros because that's what it shows to me).

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
From the enroll page:

ā‚¬39 per month to continue learning after trial ends.
Go as fast as you can - the faster you go, the more you save.

The smartest / cheapest option would be to audit the courses first, then enroll and take all of the exams to get the certificate. I guess you could technically even do the latter within the free trial week and get the certificate for free? Hmmm...

Alternatively, you can sign up for Coursera Plus for ā‚¬325 a year which apparently gives you access to this and a lot of other courses.

(prices in Euros because that's what it shows to me).
im really tempted!!

ha, can i see the 3d platformer you made?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
im really tempted!!

ha, can i see the 3d platformer you made?

The courses I did were very different and, interestingly, started with 3D games (the first one being not even a game but a simulation of the solar system), and ended with a 2D game. All of these are very step-by-step so any student's project is going to be almost identical to every other unless you keep tinkering with them. The final 2D game was called Super Sparty Bros and you can google it to see a million people sharing their own versions online. :)

Weltall Zero Michigan State University is not the University of Michigan. As a Wolverine, I can't let this stand.

But thank you for the great guide!

Sorry, as a Spaniard I would have no clue, hahah. Thanks for the heads up, I just corrected it. :)

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
How is Unity for 2D these days? I heard rumors it wasn't that great in the past but that may be completely outdated now.

I am only interested in 2D development and in the past have used XNA/Monogame and GameMaker 2.x. Lots of 10-30% done prototypes but never shipped anything though :(

- I love using C# and probably have the most skill in that language
- I liked using GameMaker because the time to functional prototype could be like, an hour for some games. But I don't like using GML and it definitely feels a little random/janky at times.

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely do NOT start with Unreal especially if you intend to learn coding. The two approaches to Unreal are either code-free (using Blueprints), or very advanced coding (C++, which has manual memory allocation / deletion). Unity is a far better choice for learning to code (uses C# which is much more friendly and easier to get into).
Maybe I'm going at it bacwards and should ask this: do you think learning coding is important for things like Unity or Unreal Engine? The only reason I bothered learning how to code is because I thought it might be useful, but the coding was secondary to my main goal of eventually learning game development.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
How is Unity for 2D these days? I heard rumors it wasn't that great in the past but that may be completely outdated now.

I am only interested in 2D development and in the past have used XNA/Monogame and GameMaker 2.x. Lots of 10-30% done prototypes but never shipped anything though :(

- I love using C# and probably have the most skill in that language
- I liked using GameMaker because the time to functional prototype could be like, an hour for some games. But I don't like using GML and it definitely feels a little random/janky at times.

Unity is perfectly fine for 2D games. There's plenty of high-profile 2D games that have been made in Unity, like Hearthstone, Cuphead, Ori and the Blind Forest, Enter the Gungeon, Night in the Woods, Gorogoa, etc etc. My own game is 2D / pixel art.

If you're making a pixel art game, it does take a bit of care to set up the camera in order to ensure pixels are scaled evenly, if that's important to you. You also have to take some care if you're using Unity's particle system, as that works in 3D and can render above things you don't expect unless you have everything's Z coordinate (depth) set perfectly.

Maybe I'm going at it bacwards and should ask this: do you think learning coding is important for things like Unity or Unreal Engine? The only reason I bothered learning how to code is because I thought it might be useful, but the coding was secondary to my main goal of eventually learning game development.

That is unfortunately a question I myself can't answer because, coming from a coding background, codeless game development is something I've never tangled with. I do know the latest versions of Unity now offer a codeless system similar to Unreal's blueprints, but I have no clue how they compare to each other, having using neither. Sorry. :(

I was frankly expecting him to fight big spherical coronaviruses, but this is kind of even better. :D

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
As an art oriented dev I found UE4 to be a lot more friendly, with the blueprints, really powerful material editor and the constant stream of tools and assets Epic is providing, that being said I think learning Unity is probably smarter in the long run since you are going to be writing code instead of just falling back on visual scripting all the time.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Seems like a really great thread. I'm putting it on watch and I'm going to read through everything later.
Thanks OP!

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I really encourage anyone remotely interested to just pick one thing to focus on and mess around with it as a beginning move. I had a cool aesthetic in mind for a main menu but didn't know how to code. Picked up some main menu tutorials in Unity and now I'm feeling a little bit more comfortable with the engine. Now I know how to animate and code a functional menu in Unity. As more of a designer/artist, the programming parts of Unity always scared me but thank goodness for all the tutorials to walk me through step by step.

By the way, does anyone know any good communities for game development?