• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
its shitty... there's going to be many stories of society at all levels putting their own preservation above their neighbors and we haven't even hit the peak yet. people will abuse their power or influence of wealth to protect themselves and their interests.

condemnation is required but its also easy to be on the outside looking in during this and expect better, were in the middle of an event that will change all of our lives. when the ramifications hit home and your the one needing a resource for survival even the best of us will go to measures we'd other wise think better of. Trump being inept and an awful leader sets only a worse example for the system to follow, yeah the behavior would still exist but you need leaders in a time like this to show the better route. Between refusing to listen to basic orders to slow the spread, putting your own economic needs above everyone else, hoarding product, price gouging and looking to profit or retain power off death, this behavior isn't just within U.S. boarders...

the sad fact is even now other rich countries are largely looking to support, other rich countries... we're seeing power fight power. we've long lived in a bubble where wealth kept us safe and somehow defined many of us as "good" when we've acted anything but... we've been given the ability to live life pretty ignorant of any real threats or cost. many of our societies aren't prepared for something like this or expected this to actually effect them until it hit them in the face.

heres hoping enough of us learn the right lessons and see what this has exposed to demand better of ourselves and others for the future...

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
China bought up 2 billion, yeah billion with a B, masks from Australia, Canada, Turkey etc to price gouge the rest of the world during JAN-FEB. This is the result of that. China commissioned their private real estate/investment companies in secret and repurposed their staff to gather masks and medical supplies from various countries and then bulk send them back to China.

Australia just passed a law 3 days ago to halt this sort of behaviour and price gouging. At least 3M is doubling their production of N95 masks.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
As my history teacher used to say, americans are actually "amis-requin" which is french for shark friend. I'm canadian btw.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China bought up 2 billion, yeah billion with a B, masks from Australia, Canada, Turkey etc to price gouge the rest of the world during JAN-FEB. This is the result of that. China commissioned their private real estate/investment companies in secret and repurposed their staff to gather masks and medical supplies from various countries and then bulk send them back to China.

do you have a source for all of this?

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
do you have a source for all of this?

Take your pick, it's on Yahoo and MSN as well etc -

-2 billion sources (companies involved were Greenland and Risland, huge international companies with major shareholders being the Chinese govt
meaww.com

China imported 2 billion masks and began hoarding protective gear before coronavirus outbreak worsened

Chinese firms operating in countries like Australia stockpiled the protective equipment in massive quantity and sent them back to their home country

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: medical association warns Australia must protect medical supplies amid reports of stockpiling by China-backed firm in February

AMA’s call follows report Sydney staff were instructed to source bulk medical items to send to China as virus took hold in Wuhan

www.thesun.co.uk

China ‘selling coronavirus face masks to highest bidders after stockpiling 2bn’

CHINA is selling masks to protect against coronavirus to high-bidding countries including America – as the outbreak reached pandemic levels around the world, it has been revealed. Protective …

www.news.com.au

China hoards 2 billion face masks

China stockpiled more than 2 billion surgical masks and essential medical supplies in a global panic buy now impacting the worldwide shortage of protective equipment.

-3M production source
www.bloomberg.com

How 3M Plans to Make More Than a Billion Masks By End of Year

The company is using “surge capacity” to increase the production of N95 masks to fight the pandemic. Localized supply chains are a secret weapon, too.

-Australian government ban/law source
minister.homeaffairs.gov.au

Ministers for the of Home Affairs Website

Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration, Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs, Minister for Emergency Management.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

-2 billion sources (companies involved were Greenland and Risland, huge international companies with major shareholders being the Chinese govt
meaww.com

China imported 2 billion masks and began hoarding protective gear before coronavirus outbreak worsened

Chinese firms operating in countries like Australia stockpiled the protective equipment in massive quantity and sent them back to their home country

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: medical association warns Australia must protect medical supplies amid reports of stockpiling by China-backed firm in February

AMA’s call follows report Sydney staff were instructed to source bulk medical items to send to China as virus took hold in Wuhan

www.thesun.co.uk

CHINA is selling masks to protect against coronavirus to high-bidding countries including America – as the outbreak reached pandemic levels around the world, it has been revealed. Protective …

www.news.com.au

China stockpiled more than 2 billion surgical masks and essential medical supplies in a global panic buy now impacting the worldwide shortage of protective equipment.

-3M production source
www.bloomberg.com

The company is using “surge capacity” to increase the production of N95 masks to fight the pandemic. Localized supply chains are a secret weapon, too.

Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration, Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs, Minister for Emergency Management.
Fuck off China

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

meaww.com

www.theguardian.com

www.thesun.co.uk

www.news.com.au

-3M production source
www.bloomberg.com

Actually i was in position to send mask to my relative in China but I was too late.

Anyway it show only how word can change perception.

China did not stockpile anything it was for actually to use them.
Currently China is rationing mask about 5 for week for 1 person.
So 2 billion mask would barely last 2 days.

And you would have guessed that at start of the epidemic they needed it more then anywhere else in the world.

So they were doing the same thing as all other country are doing now.

Double standard much?

limenglm

Jan 10, 2019

Australia just passed a law 3 days ago to halt this sort of behaviour and price gouging. At least 3M is doubling their production of N95 masks.

In January and February China is the epicenter, and we bought medical supplies from all over the world because we needed them the most. At that time everyone in China was worried that the virus would explode all over the country and we will need all the supplies we can get. At that time how many Covide-19 cases were there outside China? A few hundreds? Who can foresee the thing would be contained in China and explode all over the world, two months later? I don't think the case you described is price gauging, the Chinese government is not that smart. It was an action out of desperation, not price gauging, and I don't think it's comparable to the situation in this thread.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

meaww.com

www.theguardian.com

www.thesun.co.uk

www.news.com.au

-3M production source
www.bloomberg.com

thanks - I read the Guardian article. It frames it in term of the buying and shipping to China happening in January and February when the spread in China was showing rapid spread still - so framing it in terms of buying with intent to price gauge seems misleading. They were in January/ February doing what the West is doing now, scrambling desperately for supplies as they were woefully underprepared.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually i was in position to send mask to my relative in China but I was too late.

Anyway it show only how word can change perception.

China did not stockpile anything it was for actually to use them.
Currently China is rationing mask about 5 for week for 1 person.
So 2 billion mask would barely last 2 days.

And you would have guessed that at start of the epidemic they needed it more then anywhere else in the world.

So they were doing the same thing as all other country are doing now.

Double standard much?

So why did they order two international private companies staff such as receptionists, sales people and accounts roles to gather supplies from retail stores across the Australia for example. Why wouldn't the Chinese government approach the Australian government directly through official channels? We're talking entire companies ordered to do this nationwide in Australia.

The answer? China govt knew what was coming with Covid, they were not reporting things correctly to WHO or other world leaders and went about repurposing private companies in the dark shadows to bulk purchase goods and send them back to China.

I don't disagree that Chinese people were the first incidents and require such medical goods en masse. However the methods of going about international assistance are total bullshit and backhanded at best. It has also left other countries now with short supply. People wonder why China gets a bad public identity, they do shady shit like this. I'd rather our govt in control of our supplies up front than the wool pulled over our eyes like this shit from the Chinese govt did in multiple countries in JAN and FEB.

Australia has a backup national medical emergency supply, we would have happily sold what we could, not become aware of back channel buying across the world after the events and before notifying/infections spreading. Now we're in a shortage, just as China govt planned. I've even had outsourced Chinese workers offer N95 masks to me for sale (4 times the going rate), we're web developers, WTF are they trying to sell masks to be for.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Our administration deserves to be criticized for being scumbags but we should also be more critical of the capitalist system that allowed this to happen.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So why did they order two international private companies staff such as receptionists, sales people and accounts roles to gather supplies from retail stores across the Australia for example. Why wouldn't the Chinese government approach the Australian government directly through official channels? We're talking entire companies ordered to do this nationwide in Australia.

The answer? China govt knew what was coming with Covid, they were not reporting things correctly to WHO or other world leaders and went about repurposing private companies in the dark shadows to bulk purchase goods and send them back to China.

I don't disagree that Chinese people were the first incidents and require such medical goods en masse. However the methods of going about international assistance are total bullshit and backhanded at best. It has also left other countries now with short supply. People wonder why China gets a bad public identity, they do shady shit like this. I'd rather our govt in control of our supplies up front than the wool pulled over our eyes like this shit from the Chinese govt did in multiple countries in JAN and FEB.

Australia has a backup national medical emergency supply, we would have happily sold what we could, not become aware of back channel buying across the world after the events and before notifying/infections spreading. Now we're in a shortage, just as China govt planned. I've even had outsourced Chinese workers offer N95 masks to me for sale (4 times the going rate), we're web developers, WTF are they trying to sell masks to be for.

I mean, in January it was widely reported how contagious the virus is and all Western governments had been warned. Now when we are scrambling in the US you have several private actors (Musk, Kraft etc) buying bulk on the "free" market and donating to states because government procurement has slow procedures/protocols to be followed. I doubt it is done with intent to gauge - but at the same time, disaster capitalism. It works as intended.

As an example. Read this article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-mill...rd-the-new-england-patriots-plane-11585821600

But replace all instances of 'Massachusetts' with 'China', all instances of 'China' with 'Australia', and 'Patriots' with 'Greenland'

Last edited:

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

few things
in your article you can see that they started after 25~ gen so well after the lock down and people realized how serious was so this phase
events and before notifying/infections spreading
it's not true by your own sources.
And why it was done this way it's because it was private stock, not Gov one. Plus much faster, it's not like it was done in secret.
And honestly i think and don't expect AUS to give their emergency supply for 3th party country.

You are free to not wanting believe the numbers that are coming out but no need to see evil intent everywhere.

Additional tidbit.
I live in Singapore, after the stuff started my company bough quite a lot of supplies (my guess in us and europe) to send to our Singapore and Chinese branch, i don't think they asked any permission from any government.

Last edited:

limenglm

Jan 10, 2019

I don't deny that the case and death numbers in Wuhan may well be larger than reported. But saying that Chinese govt planned this shortage is too much. I mean even today the nature of the virus is far from fully known, things like its transmission method (aerosol or not) are still in debate. It's hard to believe the Chinese govt knows the virus so well TWO MONTHS ago that they could actually plan for this.

Also the fact that we quarantined the city of Wuhan should be a big enough warning to the west. What kind of warning do you want? Seeing the response in the west in the past few weeks, do you think the western governments would take that warning seriously, no matter how serious the warning was?

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
No other alternative exists in this world so what else can people do
It's called post-capitalism. A fancy way of saying that we have to be grown up about this and do the hard work of figuring out a just, egalitarian, and sustainable system of tending and distributing resources. Those pretending it can't be done have no interest in trying to start with.

At the very least we should suspend our tendency of capitulating to markets and instead put together a planned international response to distributing healthcare resources during a global emergency.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
So, I hate Trump, but wouldn't literally any past president do the same thing?

This is more of a general American thing I'm guessing.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
We're not all in the same boat. The pandemic in America is the very worst in the world right now, or if you'd like to argue that, among the top 2-3 very worst and on pace to claim that awful top spot. We don't have supplies to spare, so I don't much have a problem with us helping ourselves how we can.

Much of our problem is us fucking up in preparation for this! Undeniably so. That doesn't mean we shouldnt take what action we can now to fix the problem, however grotesquely exacerbated it's been from our own government.

So I'm not going take issue with America outbidding other nations for millions of desperately needed masks for health care workers in the current global epicenter of the pandemic.

If we were relatively good here in America and hoarding supplies above our need our of abundance of caution, denying countries in need, sure I'll criticize our actions. We're pretty fucking far from good right now.
The problem with this is that it creates a winners and losers mentality that undermines our ability to cooperate. Once that happens you get unreliable/chaotic sourcing of supplies and hoarding as a result. This has a deleterious effect overall.

This could even be harmful to hot zones like New York. As states start to compete for equipment you could see blocked shipments and seizures of supplies ultimately intended for New York. This also makes it less likely for relatively unaffected areas to send aid since the uncertainty around sourcing makes hoarding a necessary safeguard.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't deny that the case and death numbers in Wuhan may well be larger than reported. But saying that Chinese govt planned this shortage is too much. I mean even today the nature of the virus is far from fully known, things like its transmission method (aerosol or not) are still in debate. It's hard to believe the Chinese govt knows the virus so well TWO MONTHS ago that they could actually plan for this.

Also the fact that we quarantined the city of Wuhan should be a big enough warning to the west. What kind of warning do you want? Seeing the response in the west in the past few weeks, do you think the western governments would take that warning seriously, no matter how serious the warning was?

Despite some countries already talking and investigating a lack of transparency, changing relationships with China and a "reckoning" after things calm done? As usual it will be a mixed bag of various countries supporting and fighting each other but there is going to be some major official fallout for China due to their handling of the pandemic from as far back as Nov-Jan. Check back in a few months/later this year. Also note on record China officials knew about the virus since DEC and covered it up against numerous doctors/specialists telling them about the possible pandemic, speculation has this even as far back as NOV. Anyhow I'll stop shitting up this thread, point was made and supported, if you have a different view then enjoy that. Cheers and stay safe.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/coronavirus/106402/why-the-uk-is-planning-coronavirus-reckoning-with-china

Time to treat China as a "hostile state"

Via Bloomie: China has concealed the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in its country, under-reporting both total cases and deaths it’s suffered from the disease, the U.S. intelligence community concluded in a classified report to the White House, according to three U.S. officials. The...

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus outbreak: senior US official accuses China of lack of transparency

Top White House official Larry Kudlow questions approach of Politburo as China brings in ‘wartime’ measures in more cities

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The problem with this is that it creates a winners and losers mentality that undermines our ability to cooperate. Once that happens you get unreliable/chaotic sourcing of supplies and hoarding as a result. This has a deleterious effect overall.

This could even be harmful to hot zones like New York. As states start to compete for equipment you could see blocked shipments and seizures of supplies ultimately intended for New York. This also makes it less likely for relatively unaffected areas to send aid since the uncertainty around sourcing makes hoarding a necessary safeguard.
This has already happened for at least one shipment that was bound for New York....by our own damn government apparently.

limenglm

Jan 10, 2019
Despite some countries already talking and investigating a lack of transparency, changing relationships with China and a "reckoning" after things calm done? As usual it will be a mixed bag of various countries supporting and fighting each other but there is going to be some major official fallout for China due to their handling of the pandemic from as far back as Nov-Jan. Check back in a few months/later this year. Also note on record China officials knew about the virus since DEC and covered it up against numerous doctors/specialists telling them about the possible pandemic, speculation has this even as far back as NOV. Anyhow I'll stop shitting up this thread, point was made and supported, if you have a different view then enjoy that. Cheers and stay safe.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/coronavirus/106402/why-the-uk-is-planning-coronavirus-reckoning-with-china

Time to treat China as a "hostile state"

Via Bloomie: China has concealed the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in its country, under-reporting both total cases and deaths it’s suffered from the disease, the U.S. intelligence community concluded in a classified report to the White House, according to three U.S. officials. The...

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus outbreak: senior US official accuses China of lack of transparency

Top White House official Larry Kudlow questions approach of Politburo as China brings in ‘wartime’ measures in more cities

Cover up because of incompetence/face-saving/corruption? For sure. Cover up for some future "plan" to price gauge everyone/fuck up the world? Well I will defend against that until there are better evidence. Anyway I will stop derailing this thread then.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not how it works.
You can't just come and bribe logistics personnel to take away the tv someone ELSE already paid for (and won't get his money back) and claim you ain't a thief.
Masks are not made AND THEN they look for a buyer, china factories are making those on order, place an order , pay in part, mask are made (and belong to whoever placed the order)

That isn't what is happening.From OP's sources

A source quoted by the newspaper Liberation said that this episode was experienced in other regions of France.

Masks are becoming scarce, and Americans buy them wherever they are, no matter the price. They pay double and cash, even before seeing the goods. We can not afford it, we do not advance anything and we pay at the reception , said this source on condition of anonymity.

They also note that Quebec, having paid, is not having this issue
We took action in Asia to pay easily, to offer the transport of goods ourselves [...] I don't know who stole orders from whom, but I think that on the net, we got away well out.

François Legault, Premier of Quebec, Wednesday

mashoutposse

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how much some of this is scapegoating by governments under heavy criticism for their poor handling of the crisis.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
giphy.gif

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017