• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Trump is just begging for economic sanctions isn't he? International relations at an all time low.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Freedom Fries baby.

This is obviously gross as hell, but why would China (or Chinese company?) just let these masks that were already bought go to someone else?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably France outbid someone else for the masks as well. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another apology tour when Trump is out of office, similar to Obama and GWB. Why does the GOP suck so much at foreign policy?

The GOP sucks at everything that isn't the corrosive manipulation of government and the electorate to stay in power when the demographics should make it impossible. They've abandoned any pretense of or interest in governance. They're enacting intense short term efforts to extract as much profit as possible from the body they've infested and cheating as openly as they can get away with to retain those reins.

The Hood has come off.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of reasons to say fuck the US. Making up reasons isn't one of them.

The US didn't steal those supplies, someone had to greenlight the change.

Also if we accept the premise that the Chinese are just going to sell to the highest bidder, what was stopping France and Canada from outbidding the US? How often does stuff like this happen outside of this crisis?

More like our inept government has no plan in place and is scrambling to get the scraps left over. They're letting our own companies export to other nations and fueled the states into a bidding war for equipment in China before jumping into said bidding war driving the cost even higher.

Yikes okay nevermind. Was going to post about how if it's people dying in France versus people dying in the US why wouldn't the government do everything it can to protect its own citizens at this stage. But we're exporting PPE! Fucking hell.

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Not defending president shitstain, but shouldn't some of the outrage be pointed at the people who actually sold the makes out from under Canada and France?
Did they sell them out from under Canada and France? I'm sure there's hardly any country in the world that doesn't have a standing order with Chinese manufacturers for masks, it sounds like the US basically just paid more for expedited shipping on theirs.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
There's plenty of reasons to say fuck the US. Making up reasons isn't one of them.

The US didn't steal those supplies, someone had to greenlight the change.

Call it what you want, these are your allies you are purposely fucking over because you're administration is too incompetent to get shit under control. This is how you wanna act on the world state?

I dunno why you're defending this frankly. (And yes, this deflection you are doing is a defense)

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
What's makes it sadder is that we have the capability to make masks, gowns, and ventilators ourselves. There is no need to depend on China. The president should have enacted the Defense Production Act and had millions of these made in the USA months ago. Just a total failure of leadership.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
You misread me. I wasn't denying the need for one or being flippant. I was saying that the Trump Adminstration has damaged decades-long alliances and that the next Democratic President will need to repair them. This is one example, but they are numerous.

Canada and France aren't China or Russia (LOL). They are longstanding US allies. And doing this is repugnant.

Conducting foreign policy is one of the Constitutional duties of the President. Trump has been horrendous here. And that's not even the worse he's done, but he's also gutted our State Department.

An apology tour won't work this time when everyone knows that Americans will - like clock work - put Republicans back in power in short order.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So I'm super confused and I don't speak French, but isn't this the official who the article claims said that the masks were stolen by Americans, saying that the article is fake?

twitter.com

Renaud Muselier on Twitter

“.@LaProvence a du se croire drôle pour un 1er avril. Malheureusement, ce n’est pas un poisson, c’est une fake news ! https://t.co/3xlDWpZe2l”

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If true I would blame the seller more than the US. They're the ones fucking over their customers.

So I'm super confused and I don't speak French, but isn't this the official who the article claims said that the masks were stolen by Americans, saying that the article is fake?

twitter.com

“.@LaProvence a du se croire drôle pour un 1er avril. Malheureusement, ce n’est pas un poisson, c’est une fake news ! https://t.co/3xlDWpZe2l”
I think many prefer this narrative.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blame our Admin, not the whole country.

FUCK TRUMP
The USA's greed as a country is the reason for Trumps existence and getting voted in. People saw their lavish and comfy lifestyles built on the backs of other countries going away, so they voted in someone they thought would ruthlessly take it all back with no remorse.
Dude. Aren't you from the UK?

Glass houses and all that.
I am and I say the same about my country. It's all rotten.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I was saying that the Trump Adminstration has damaged decades-long alliances and that the next Democratic President will need to repair them.
Some of this damage is not going to be reparable. George W. Bush strained existing alliances and partnerships badly (especially the way he treated France because France wouldn't join his idiot criminal war in Iraq), and one of the reasons why things improved again after Obama was elected was the perception that maybe GWB was a once-off in terms of how poorly he managed US relations with the traditional friends of the USA. For those countries, most which had enjoyed decades-long friendly relationships with the USA regardless of which party was in power, GWB was an aberration and Obama's election was sign of a return to normality.

Trump strongly suggests otherwise. His election (and, more troublesomely, the continued reshaping of the Republican Party into something that looks like it will be a Trump legacy party for decades to come) shows that the countries that had friendly relations with the USA now cannot count on that ever being the case under a Republican president - and that it's more likely that every Republican candidate for president from now on will be someone who treats other countries as being inferior to the USA, imposes tariffs on a random whim, doesn't bother seeking or joining international consensuses, and feeds total misinformation to their supporters (like Trump's routinely-repeated claim that the EU was formed to take advantage of the USA).

The new normal for countries like France and Germany is four-to-eight years of moderately friendly relationships with a Democratic president, followed by four-to-eight years of mind-bendingly idiotic chaos from a dumpster-fire of an administration. Biden or whoever flying around the world saying nice things isn't going to change that perception.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Canada, you know what to do

be0c28f4486da3aafd9f8524bc248151.jpg

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I do like how the US is allowing companies to sell needed supplies ouside the country. But is doing bidding wars to receive supplies. Maybe they should....i dunno compel more companies to make supplies.

An apology tour won't work this time when everyone knows that Americans will - like clock work - put Republicans back in power in short order.

Well looking around the world, it doesn't seem like they will be alone in electing shitty people into power.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
More like our inept government has no plan in place and is scrambling to get the scraps left over. They're letting our own companies export to other nations and fueled the states into a bidding war for equipment in China before jumping into said bidding war driving the cost even higher.

What in the fuck
fuck this administration so much. what the hell are they even doing

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is made out to be more devious than it is. All it says is Americans (it doesn't even say the American government -- profiteers are just as likely) are willing to pay more, in cash, sight unseen and suppliers are taking those offers over those for less money to be paid on receipt. That's not bribery or hijacking.

I'm not sure what people really expect while at the same time demanding more supplies in this country

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I do like how the US is allowing companies to sell needed supplies ouside the country. But is doing bidding wars to receive supplies. Maybe they should....i dunno compel more companies to make supplies.

I think more accurate(at least based on the link earlier in this thread) is that it's not so much "allowing" than actually doing nothing or anything strict to ensure domestic supply is available first, and then to regions outside of the US territories. Essentially a capitalist free for all. No guidelines or structure.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Bribed? Hijacked? Am I missing something from the article?

This is capitalism, not some illegal operation. Thread title is misleading and only there to say fuck the US.

Is it a shitty thing to do? Yeah, but it's by no means bribing or hijacking.
Those masks were already paid for ( for a third at minimum ).
It's thievery.
Bribery of airport/logistic personnel so they can hijack masks that already belonged to someone else.
WTF is obscure to you ?

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go fuck yourself America...

Americans, start planning trips in the US, you most likely won't be welcomed elsewhere

EDIT: Sorry I feel I overreacted...

ps3ud0 8)

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is made out to be more devious than it is. All it says is Americans (it doesn't even say the American government -- profiteers are just as likely) are willing to pay more, in cash, sight unseen and suppliers are taking those offers over those for less money to be paid on receipt. That's not bribery or hijacking.
The headline alleges "hijacking" even though nobody in the story actually uses that word to describe the situation. They picked the most inflammatory word possible, tried to get away with it by putting it in quotes......but then nobody is quoted as using that word.

The OP just seems to have added "bribery" as well.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
On the tarmac to be loaded and delivered somewhere else a last minute 3 to 4 times more cash offer.

yep, sounds like Trump.
No. Trump would promise more. Then, after getting the goods, when asked for payment he would argue the price down. Get offended when it wasn't taken and pay less or nothing.

greekwolf

Oct 28, 2017

I'm not sure what people really expect while at the same time demanding more supplies in this country

Rage against the U.S. is probably higher than its ever been in history (current adminstration to thank) and hostility will only increase in the years to follow.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

twitter.com

He basically says that's what being said is fake news (what was in the article before it got deleted) but he did a TV interview before that saying the opposite:

Seems legit, either the article that he linked didn't get the full story or got it wrong or he received a call from someone....

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

According to this article from Elpais.es, France did the same in Sweden with a shipment going to Spain.

Yeah I find it hard to believe that every nation isn't getting in on trying to secure masks at whatever cost when people are dying everywhere.

Outside a few globalists who don't believe in borders or whatever, I can't imagine that a nation's government trying to secure PPE at whatever cost is something that voters or citizens are going to get angry about. If anything, voters would find it neglectful if their government wasn't doing everything in their power to try and save as many of their own lives as they could. It's shitty tribalism but I'm sure everyone is playing dirty pool right now.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Those masks were already paid for ( for a third at minimum ).
It's thievery.
Bribery of airport/logistic personnel so they can hijack masks that already belonged to someone else.
WTF is obscure to you ?
The article says France has an order for 1 billion masks. But guess what? They're not the only country with a standing order out there. I'm sure hundreds of countries have already paid for masks that they are waiting to receive, and who gets those masks first is determined by who paid more.

Oct 27, 2017
He basically says that's what being said is fake news (what was in the article before it got deleted) but he did a TV interview before that saying the opposite:

Seems legit, either the article that he linked didn't get the full story or got it wrong or he received a call from someone....

RT France, huh?

I would wait for journalists to get more info