• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I feel like gets overlooked a touch when talking about the errors of the Prequel Trilogy is how poorly Padme Amidala is handled over the course of the trilogy. She's introduced as an interesting and fairly independent female character, and that character is then basically dismantled in the follow up films. The Phantom Menace introduces Padme as an unproven Queen who ultimately just wants to protect her planet and people. She'll go as far as throwing General Zod under the bus in front of The Senate, make peace with another Naboo race that they've had poor relations with for ages, go against the wishes and suggestions of the Jedi, and put herself directly in the line of fire in order to save planet Naboo. This is a character I look at and think "Yeah, this is someone I could believe would be the mother of Princess Leia".

la-amenaza-fantasma-reina-amidala.jpg

Then Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith happen, and Padme for the most part goes from being a pretty independent and strong woman to a cheap plot device in order to make Anakin Skywalker turn to the Dark Side. In Episode 2, the same Padme who would rather stare down her attackers face to face now runs and hides on Naboo with Anakin and engages in a love story that makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever. Her seemingly on-point sense of right and wrong from Episode 1 apparently goes to the wayside when Anakin is near her, because Padme handwaves away Anakin's continuously creepy advances towards her, him basically stating that he openly supports fascism, and his murder of women and children in order to marry him at the end of the movie.

Then in Revenge of the Sith, Padme feels like a borderline non-entity who spends a little too much time sitting around acting like a plot device to create a rift between Kenobi and Skywalker. Oh, and then she gets to utter this line...

giphy.gif

... which, while it's a great line on its own, feels pretty unearned for her character considering she married a fascist child murderer with more caution flags than your average NASCAR race and she is technically the catalyst that led to Palpatine's rise to power. Then we have the inconsistency of Padme refusing to believe that Anakin could murder children after Kenobi tells her that Anakin has fallen to the Dark Side, yet she literally heard Anakin years prior confess to child murder right to her face in Clones. And then, as the cherry on top of it all, after seemingly (re)remembering that her husband is a psychopath, she decides to say "fuck them kids" and let herself die rather than become a single mother.

Padme's devolution as a character is maybe the biggest issue with the prequels that doesn't get enough attention, and the treatment of the character post-Phantom Menace deserves to get called out.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, she really gets the worst of it. I mean, her death and the cause of her death are just insane.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never not be baffled how in AOTC after Anakin told her he murdered women and children that everyone gets angry.

I mean WHAT.

She was such a fantastic tough independent character in TPM that I was dying to see more of. Padme in AOTC and ROTS isn't even a character and was such a waste of Portman's talents.

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
Yeah, I mean George Lucas is not a good writer and is completely unable to direct actors. All of the characters in the prequels come off as dipshit assholes.

The weirdos that suddenly love the prequels now because they hate The Last Jedi are amongst the worst people in the world. Attack of The Clones is objectively a very, very bad movie.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
thats probably why the ST haters defend the PT so much now, she goes from a strong independent woman to a submissive wife.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lucas wrote her as a sexist trope in ROTS. She literally sits around, waiting to have Anakins babies and beg him not to be a bad boy. Then she dies because Anakin is a bad boy

I agree that she slowly devolves into less of a person as the trilogy progresses.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
She didn't die from sadness, she died from embarrassment. Imagine finding out the dude you were letting lay pipe couldn't even handle a concept as simple as elevation advantage rofl

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
She should have been the main character of the prequels, then we could have had a sympathetic protagonist who was there right from the start rather than wasting a movie on nothing and then two films where we are asked to empathise with a psychopath as the lead character.

The development of the relationship between the main trio is horribly stunted because George didn't have a clear protagonist in mind for Episode 1. You can't build the required romantic tension and friendly rivalry between Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme by having one of them be 8 years old, one 15 and one 20+ with all of them confined to nebulous secondary roles.

Obviously the character herself is terribly boring and humourless moron like almost those in the prequels. Hard to believe this woman gave birth to Carrie Fisher.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mostly agree with you except about her actions re the 'attackers' in ep 1 & 2. In the first the circumstances were that she knew her people were suffering in her departure from Naboo and she didn't go back there helpless and without a plan- she went to fight enlisting the aid of the gungans with the threat to her life not imminently in danger since they kept a low profile until the fight was brought to the Trade Federation. In AotC her enemies are unknown, her ship is blown up, she comes inches away from death whilst sleeping and the bounty hunter ultimately responsible remains at large thereafter. And she strongly explained her dissatisfaction at being forced into hiding. I don't think she was a coward here- she was very clearly in much more danger in AotC as she was the target of the most powerful assassin/bounty hunter in the galaxy.

But regardless overall she did suck.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow don't think she's the most understated problems of the prequels when there are other problems

She is up there though

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
The funny part is you can tell how bored out of her mind she was filming ROTS. She didn't give one single shit by that point. She phoned that in and just was going through the motions. Who can blame her though.

Everyone in those movies is either bored or confused. I'm listening to the early Blank Check podcasts where they spent hours dissecting the prequels and it's infuriating.

George Lucas just hates actors and the idea of acting. He should just be making cartoons.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And then, as the cherry on top of it all, after seemingly (re)remembering that her husband is a psychopath, she decides to say "fuck them kids" and let herself die rather than become a single mother.
Yeah, she really gets the worst of it. I mean, her death and the cause of her death are just insane.
Then she dies because Anakin is a bad boy

She didn't die from sadness, she died from embarrassment. Imagine finding out the dude you were letting lay pipe couldn't even handle a concept as simple as elevation advantage rofl
She died of a broken heart. 💔💔

Am I the only one who thought it was Sheev who killed her (remotely, using the darkside) as part of his plan to turn Anakin?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
She does nothing in ROTS except hang around her apartment, talking about her love and crying over Anakin. Ok, then she leaves her apartment, to talk to Anakin about love, cry, and get killed.

And everything about their romance in AOTC is creepy as hell.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The funny part is you can tell how bored out of her mind she was filming ROTS. She didn't give one single shit by that point. She phoned that in and just was going through the motions. Who can blame her though.
But that's literally how damn near everyone looked under George Lucas's direction. Sam Jackson saying shit like "disgruntled spice miners" was just as bad. Terrible script, terrible direction.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Isn't she basically manipulated from the start anyway? LIke everything she does is pretty much because she's being manipulated. I don't find her all that compelling in the first movie, but maybe because it's hard for me to look past the cradle robbing and weirdness of their relationship, given that even the adult versions had zero chemistry. It doesn't help that it's basically a waste of a role for the actress.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
The death of Padme will forever cause me to seethe, because (besides the absolute TERRIBLE writing) it highlights how far she had fallen as a strong and independent character.

On a somewhat related note, Disney+ should definitely have a Dr. Ball, M.D. series

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Anakin/Padme is pretty much the worst romance plot I've ever seen in a movie. It's so dumb, it's creepy, the dialogue is braindead, Hayden what's-his-face is an absolutely terrible actor.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Lucas wrote her as a sexist trope in ROTS. She literally sits around, waiting to have Anakins babies and beg him not to be a bad boy. Then she dies because Anakin is a bad boy

I agree that she slowly devolves into less of a person as the trilogy progresses.
Sad but so true. She does nothing but play the dutiful wife in 2 & 3. Was a badass character in 1. What a fuck up.

Also to this day I get confused with the decoy situation in TPM. At the start of the film she speaks with a strange accent, but by the end just has an American accent, from the very start of the film is that her decoy, who later is aboard the ship on tattooing giving orders while Padme is clearly pretending to be a handmaiden? So bloody confusing.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I'll keep my headcanon or her dying from a crushed trachea combined with ash from a volcano planet and child labor wrecking her insides.

Anakin choked her enough to make her lose consciousness

Women die during childbirth all the time, it's not like we even needed an explanation. She just got choked out before giving birth to twins.

What's crazy is that George had a robot explain to the audience that she was medically "completely healthy" and was dying for reasons they "can't explain". He has no idea how to write a script.