• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Packers fans seem to love him, so makes sense. Can anyone else get paid? How can you surround an elite QB with other talent if he's suckin up all the juice?

the salary cap is like $200 million in the NFL, so no he's not really sucking up all the juice even at $50 million a year. You have to remember that a vast majority of guys on NFL rosters are making relative peanuts. Its possible to still built out a good team even with a franchise QB taking a huge salary. Does this make it harder? Sure. But is that also cancelled out by the fact that an elite QB can elevate an offense and get more out of players? Probably. Ultimately its a good problem to have.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Packers will find a way to choke in the playoffs again, but not mad at this. If I were Qaron I'd want to buff my stats against the pathetic NFC North for as long as possible too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with NinjaScooter, Love has very little value. Maybe dealing Love and tossing in some conditionals on a sweetener deal, like Love + 6th for a 5th or something, or some conditional swaps back and forth to even out a salary cap imbalance as part of another deal. Just can't imagine any team is eager to trade for a player who has barely played and has looked like the ... ~40th best QB in the NFL whenever he has played.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Packers had to do this, he's still an elite player. It would be stupid to let your studs walk.

But that Jordan Love pick looks even worse now. What a waste. But a small price to pay to ensure you have the right guy under center in the end.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
the salary cap is like $200 million in the NFL, so no he's not really sucking up all the juice even at $50 million a year. You have to remember that a vast majority of guys on NFL rosters are making relative peanuts. Its possible to still built out a good team even with a franchise QB taking a huge salary. Does this make it harder? Sure. But is that also cancelled out by the fact that an elite QB can elevate an offense and get more out of players? Probably. Ultimately its a good problem to have.

I guess, 1/4 of the cap still seems like a lot for one guy even a top tier QB. Not a lot of options if you want to be competitive though.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't won a SB in over 10 years, with a playoff record of 11-10. He's won 4 MVPs, but Mahomes has been to the SB and has sniffed it more times than Rodgers; he's only 25 too. I'm not sure this is money well spent.

the irony.

Rodgers was Mahomes at this stage of his career. Won the Super Bowl early. Got all the accolades. Got the pay day. And then what happened? Here we are 12 years later and he's trying to get that 2nd ring.

Moreover, the Packers didn't choose to sign Rodgers instead of trading for/signing Mahomes, so I'm not even sure what the point of the comparison even is?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
the irony.

Rodgers was Mahomes at this stage of his career. Won the Super Bowl early. Got all the accolades. Got the pay day. And then what happened? Here we are 12 years later and he's trying to get that 2nd ring.

Moreover, the Packers didn't choose to sign Rodgers instead of trading for/signing Mahomes, so I'm not even sure what the point of the comparison even is?
Rodgers has been to two SBs and went to the conference championship 4 straight years before the age of 25?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Rodgers has been to two SBs?

So we're giving credit for losing Super Bowls? Be honest, if Rodgers had made a Super Bowl sometime in the last 10 years and got his ass as thoroughly waxed as Mahomes did against Tampa last year, you're telling me you'd be giving him credit for that right now, as opposed as using it as further proof in your narrative that Rodgers isn't really worth this money?

And again, I ask, what exactly is the point of comparing Rodgers and Mahomes in discussing whether this new deal is worth it for the Packers or not. Unless you have some insider info that the Packers could have traded for Mahomes but passed, what exactly is your end game here? Mahomes is better/younger than Rodgers? Cool.

Oct 29, 2017
Great move football-wise, but man I really thought we were done with him. Would've been interesting to see the team shit it up for some high draft picks for a change.

Mahomes probably getting a goddamn billion dollars by the time his next extension comes due.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
So we're giving credit for losing Super Bowls? Be honest, if Rodgers had made a Super Bowl sometime in the last 10 years and got his ass as thoroughly waxed as Mahomes did against Tampa last year, you're telling me you'd be giving him credit for that right now, as opposed as using it as further proof in your narrative that Rodgers isn't really worth this money?

And again, I ask, what exactly is the point of comparing Rodgers and Mahomes in discussing whether this new deal is worth it for the Packers or not. Unless you have some insider info that the Packers could have traded for Mahomes but passed, what exactly is your end game here? Mahomes is better/younger than Rodgers? Cool.
It goes in the record books, it's credit. Mahomes has also been to 4 straight conference championship games. The end goal is a simple discussion between sports guys. I'm not mad or upset I was just discussing this. If it bothers you then I can leave it alone because I am not trying to get under anyone's skin.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It goes in the record books, it's credit. Mahomes has also been to 4 straight conference championship games. The end goal is a simple discussion between sports guys. I'm not mad or upset I was just discussing this. If it bothers you then I can leave it alone because I am not trying to get under anyone's skin.

Your argument seems to be that you don't think this is money well spent because Patrick Mahomes is better than Aaron Rodgers. I'm trying to figure out what that is supposed to mean, because on the surface, it makes zero sense.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Your argument seems to be that you don't think this is money well spent because Patrick Mahomes is better than Aaron Rodgers. I'm trying to figure out what that is supposed to mean, because on the surface, it makes zero sense.
I don't think he's worth being the highest pain player when another guy has accomplished more in the same timeframe, but I"ll say that the Packers would not find anything within a lightyear of Rodgers anytime soon.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's worth being the highest pain player when another guy has accomplished more in the same timeframe, but I"ll say that the Packers would not find anything within a lightyear of Rodgers anytime soon.

I get what you are saying, but thats not how contract negotiations work. The Packers can't go to Rodgers and say "We don't want to pay you as much as Patrick Mahomes because you aren't as good as he is". Because they can't get Patrick Mahomes. They need to pay Aaron essentially as much as he wants because their alternative isn't Patrick Mahomes, its Jordan Love.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
He's always been a freakish talent, and has a chance to age well, but fuck is he not an inspiring player. His walking to the line hands in pockets stuff, makes the team narrative about him, seems disinterested often in football. He's been outhustled in the playoffs on at least 4-5 losses now. At 38 I'd say GB should just move on, but Jordan Love is a hard sell

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
great, they get to pay for the pleasure of a few more playoff failures before he retires.

fraudgers 4 lyfe

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Being a packers fan, this makes the most sense. There aren't many QB's as elite as Rodgers and we still have a window to win it all. Especially with the way the defense was playing last year.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea Rodgers re-signed. I mean with that knowledge, and knowing what else is in the NFC the Packers look smart for this deal right now. The NFC is terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Aaron Rodgers will continue to be a good quarterback completely incapable of taking a team to the Superbowl.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Haters gonna hate.
Way to go ARod; get that NFL cabbage!
Now; promised land time.
Me the lifelong Packer fan smiling ear to ear today.
Colin Cowherd instant pivot to all about Russell to Denver, Russell this, blah blah even better.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Makes a lot of sense for Rodgers, too. Aside from $50m reasons to stay, a lot of the teams rumored to be trading/considering him are much more difficult divisions. Russell Wilson was dealt in a blockbuster trade to the AFC West, where he joins a new team with new coaching staff and he's definitely the 3rd best QB in the division with the 4th best not *That* far behind him. Rodgers gets a fat paycheck, gets to be a shit head, and his quarterback competition is ... Jared Goff, Justin Fields/Nick Foles, and Kirk Cousins.

Green Bay's super bowl window is obviously still wide open. Makes sense to spend now, figure you'll run it back for 14-3 or 15-2 in the division, in a weak division and weak conference. Just have to show up for the playoffs and hope to get lucky with matchups. The teams that beat them in the playoffs the last three years, Tampa Bay once, San Francisco twice, are going to be very different in 2022/2023. If Garoppolo is out of the conference and Brady stays retired, Rodgers might have a chance to win a meaningful game.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
$50 million for 17 games.

Thats pretty insane.

Though these guys make the NFL so much money its expected that their salaries are now catching up.

But Rodgers is full of shit. Stupid ass immunized motherfucker...

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
For some reason I thought this was the antivax nutjob that lied and put his whole team's health and safety at risk. Looking at the first page of replies, I'm probably wrong.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I thought this was the antivax nutjob that lied and put his whole team's health and safety at risk. Looking at the first page of replies, I'm probably wrong.

You are right, and he choked in the playoffs again, but he was also the NFL MVP this year and the 1-2 games he missed for COVID and other bull shit, Green Bay was horrible. He's a liar and a nutjob, but Packers fans would have very little to look forward to if he wasn't the QB, and with him they have a solid chance to win a super bowl in the next 4 years.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm super low on him now. Not for anything off-the field either. He's just small time when it comes to the playoffs. Until he does better when it counts, He is no longer in that top tier status of All -time greats.

And I used to have this guy like 8th or 9th all time.