• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
New trailer just released for Pacific Rim: The Black, coming to Netflix March 4th.

Looks better than the previous trailers! Hopefully this will be more entertaining than Uprising and the Netflix Godzilla films.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Looks decent, seems the battles are more like the first movie with some weight and chunkyness which is nice.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Japanese VA
ヘイリー・トラヴィス: 下田屋有依
テイラー・トラヴィス:小林裕介
ロア :水瀬 郁

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Uprising pretty much killed whatever enthusiasm I had for the franchise, yet this would have to really try to be worse than that turd.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Aesthetically I'm not feeling it but, at least in trailer form, it feels more like Pacific Rim than the sequel flick did. It at the very least seems to understand the narrative utility of the Drift/two pilot system.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The original films were mostly CG as well! Hopefully it's good, not totally holding my breath on it though... But hey, giant robot action

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
It...it looks pretty good, actually. Much better than the previous trailers.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised I enjoyed that trailer as much as I did. Hope this turns out good, I'm always up for more giant robots versus giant monsters

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just watched the first ep. It's way better than expected. Loving the action and tone they've set.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Only watched the first episode and I liked it better than Uprising, so that's a win in my book.

Just watched the first ep. It's way better than expected. Loving the action and tone they've set.
As it was happening I was pretty annoyed at their little community getting massacred but, surpise!, Hayley actually felt responsible for it. I was legitimately shocked that the show didn't try to sidestep the issue.

Hopefully the rest of the show stays on this level.

Oct 31, 2017
3D anime needs to stop being a thing it's always ugly

IMO before people bombard me with examples that I will still think are ugly

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Finished it. It was interesting with some good moments. The visuals are distracting to me at times because sometimes they look excellent or they can look super unpolished/shitty. There's a distracting issue, too, where I got English subtitles for all...English signs/writing/etc. No CC enabled, and with English audio. I'm guessing for other languages those subs are just supposed to be in whatever native language the watcher speaks, but they left them in for English lol.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Much better than I expected and some interesting ideas like the biomech which are closer to Guillermo del Toro's original concepts for Pacific Rim 2 I think.

I also had the CC issue and found it very distracting.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I was pretty on board until the very end when it decided to go

full on Attack on Titan. We now have kaiju that are bred to look like humans! Eurgh.

I know that Del Toro always wore his anime influences on his sleeve when creating Pacific Rim, but this was just a tad too on the nose for me.

Given that Del Toro wanted the movies to be optimistic about humanity's ability to come together to overcome a larger crisis, it's also pretty jarring just how grim the tone of the show is.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not finished yet, but I like that the action scenes are smooth enough that I can tell what's going on. I wouldn't be so opposed to 3D anime if more of them looked like this - it doesn't look great all the time, but at least it's not insanely choppy.

It'a dramatically better than the Godzilla anime movies for the action alone, I can hardly believe the same studio did both.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Wait (Episode 1 spoiler only)

did that girl accidentally killed off the entire community? LMAO

That was really out of nowhere. I hope there is a massive introspection from her otherwise this show is gonna lose me

Oct 27, 2017
The low frame rate on the animation really bothers me. It looks really awkward. Please tell me it's just a problem with the trailers.

I'm still wary of the story continuing though. It seemed like the story was at its logical ending point with the first movie. Not everything needs to be a franchise.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Uprising was horrible but this could be good. It's really sad how badly they killed this franchise.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
So what is going on with these streamlined game of thrones/ westworld type openings Neftlix keeps throwing into their animes? Is it just cheaper to do?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix sure has a boner for CG anime. Still interested though.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
I'm not a fan of the premise and reminds me too much of the Netflix Godzilla movies (though it didn't go full stupid like those movies did at least not yet). I gave it the three episode run, but not really feeling it. Maybe if I hear good things about the next season I'll come back to it.

OP
OP
Gravidee

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Weird how they didn't include the japanese voice track (at least on german Netflix), while shows like Castlevania have it.

I don't see the option on Canadian Netflix either, it could be a regional thing where only Japan actually has it. But in any case, this show was made with the English VA as its original language (helps that it's pretty good too) so I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I've already forgotten about the 2nd movie, that was such a waste

Well, this one seems to be set after it.

With specifically calling it the uprising war, the jaegars from that movie too.
Weird how they didn't include the japanese voice track (at least on german Netflix), while shows like Castlevania have it.
I don't see the option on Canadian Netflix either, it could be a regional thing where only Japan actually has it. But in any case, this show was made with the English VA as its original language (helps that it's pretty good too) so I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.

From what I understand of Netflix, you can get Japanese voice, but you'll have to make a alt-account in Japanese, which will give you Japanese dub that are not in English(Other language)

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
The low frame rate on the animation really bothers me. It looks really awkward. Please tell me it's just a problem with the trailers.

I'm still wary of the story continuing though. It seemed like the story was at its logical ending point with the first movie. Not everything needs to be a franchise.
that's the big trend in 3D animation right now. it can be done well, but I agree it doesn't look great here

OP
OP
Gravidee

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

I'm about 4 episodes into it so far, but that was Striker Eureka in the first scene of the first ep right? It looked practically identical so was it a reproduced model or...?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
This Shane guy, zzz.

Also, did the hole in the jaeger just happen to self heal between scenes?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I'm about 4 episodes into it so far, but that was Striker Eureka in the first scene of the first ep right? It looked practically identical so was it a reproduced model or...?

Episode...6?
But yes, it is Striker Eureka with one of the origional pilot

Will show it is Herc Hansen(Father of the origional striker Eureka) appear in there

And he is also one of the only pilot to survive solo piloting, the other two are also from the first movie.

Oct 25, 2017
1 episode in an the music is my only disappointment, keeps hinting at the theme but doesn't really go into it.

Tone feels more like Muv-Luv than Pacific Rim though.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany

From what I understand of Netflix, you can get Japanese voice, but you'll have to make a alt-account in Japanese, which will give you Japanese dub that are not in English(Other language)
Thanks, just changing the default display language in the Netflix settings of my profile was enough to make the japanese dub option available. Still don't get why we even need to to do that if they could simply add it like the other other languages.
Anyone happen to have a japanese VA list?

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Thanks, just changing the default display language in the Netflix settings of my profile was enough to make the japanese dub option available. Still don't get why we even need to to do that if they could simply add it like the other other languages.
Anyone happen to have a japanese VA list?
Yui Shimodaya (Japanese) as Harley Travis
Yusuke Kobayashi (Japanese) as Taylor Travis
Iku Minase (Japanese) as Loa

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Yui Shimodaya (Japanese) as Harley Travis
Yusuke Kobayashi (Japanese) as Taylor Travis
Iku Minase (Japanese) as Loa
Thank you.
Just noticed that it's also listed on animenewsnetwork.
Yusuke Kobayashi is a well known VA, e.g. Re:Zero, though I didn't know the other two names.