• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Would not surprise me in the slightest. Nintendo is the king of producing the exact opposite of what I as a consumer desire. Have yet to see a switch being used on the bus, out in public, in the wild in any capacity. I walk around Toronto all the time and see people using mobile devices but I have still never seen an actual switch in real life (I've seen the box on shelves and thats the closest I've come).

Additionally everyone I know who owns one has it plugged into the dock and rarely play on anything other than a spare monitor from what they tell me, one friend bought one for Zelda and after beating it traded it in for store credit; the other just bought it for smash bros. I know it's subjective and I'm sure the mobility of the console is a huge selling point for most, but I still can't help but feel like Nintendo is leaving a crazy amount of money on the table by not having a home console only version of the switch stripped down of all it's mobility features (screen, joycon, battery, etc) knock 100 dollars off the price tag (or don't and bundle it with a pro controller and game) and watch the cash flow in.

I would have 2 already if that was the case. I've come close to pulling the trigger for smash bros, Zelda and Mario but can't justify the purchase knowing I'll never use the primary feature of the device. Its like if I were to spend the extra 100 bucks on a fancy wireless headset only to have it plugged in everytime I use it. Its a stupid thing to think about but a guess part of me is still just holding out hope for an eventual home console version of the switch, or alternatively i could pick up a used Wii u since I missed out on that, my only concern with that being inflated Wii u prices due it not selling that well during its lifetime and the tablet not being sold separately.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
The point of the switch and it's name will be lost in its transition so it'll never happen.

As for the price cuts... who honestly knows.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
My point is, the momentum of the Switch line of consoles hinges on the word Switch. Giving this new version the "Switch" name e.g. Switch Go, is telling its audience that it's something that it's not. You can't switch if it's only portable. Giving it a name that isn't "Switch" means that they reset their marketing momentum to a flat zero. It sounds like Wii U confusion all over again. You're losing the entire marketing angle, either way you look at it.

It's just another SKU, so you can "Switch" from the original model to the new model. =p

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Would not surprise me in the slightest. Nintendo is the king of producing the exact opposite of what I as a consumer desire. Have yet to see a switch being used on the bus, out in public, in the wild in any capacity. I walk around Toronto all the time and see people using mobile devices but I have still never seen an actual switch in real life (I've seen the box on shelves and thats the closest I've come).

Additionally everyone I know who owns one has it plugged into the dock and rarely play on anything other than a spare monitor from what they tell me, one friend bought one for Zelda and after beating it traded it in for store credit; the other just bought it for smash bros. I know it's subjective and I'm sure the mobility of the console is a huge selling point for most, but I still can't help but feel like Nintendo is leaving a crazy amount of money on the table by not having a home console only version of the switch stripped down of all it's mobility features (screen, joycon, battery, etc) knock 100 dollars off the price tag (or don't and bundle it with a pro controller and game) and watch the cash flow in.

I would have 2 already if that was the case. I've come close to pulling the trigger for smash bros, Zelda and Mario but can't justify the purchase knowing I'll never use the primary feature of the device. Its like if I were to spend the extra 100 bucks on a fancy wireless headset only to have it plugged in everytime I use it. Its a stupid thing to think about but a guess part of me is still just holding out hope for an eventual home console version of the switch, or alternatively i could pick up a used Wii u since I missed out on that, my only concern with that being inflated Wii u prices due it not selling that well during its lifetime and the tablet not being sold separately.

You'll only know the pleasure of not having to quit your game to go to the toilet when you get a Switch. It'll feel worthier than the $100. Also playing in bed.
And that's precisely why I don't believe they will sell a stationary switch.

Also this:
https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2017/10/31/survey-switch-users-playing-docked-portable-mode/
Survey: Most Switch Users are Playing in both Docked and Portable ...

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Tbh I never see 3DS either, not on the bus, not on planes (I take a lot of flights each year) and not even when I was studying. At best, some classmates/friends had a GBA in high school and DSs.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
And I've seen it used on the bus, train, at work, at a restaurant and even by some dude literally walking down the street. Anecdotal evidence, how does it work

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Why would it be appreciably cheaper? All you're removing is the low-cost dock and a handful of joycon components. They couldn't even squeeze $50 of savings out of that.

And then they introduce compatibility issues and completely fuck up their messaging.

No, no, no.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Iwata's quote about brothers in a family?

At some point there probably will be different form factors. I expect this before a Pro version or anything else.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017

There is a slight difference here: "3D" on the 3DS turned out to be a failure, so Nintendo didn't give a shit and they put out a 2DS. "Being a hybrid console" is a feature that is not a failure. Quite the opposite: It is the one of the defining qualities of the Switch, so they are not gonna change that, nor do they need to.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Have yet to see a switch being used on the bus, out in public, in the wild in any capacity. I walk around Toronto all the time and see people using mobile devices but I have still never seen an actual switch in real life (I've seen the box on shelves and thats the closest I've come).

Not to be contrarian, but I saw 2 of them on a short plane trip up to and back from Michigan these past 2 days. Seen several on the trains in Chicago as well. I've seen more Switches out in the wild than I ever saw 3DS or Vita.

What you'd prefer for Switch as a device, i.e. handheld only vs console only, is completely your preference. Personally I'd also like a more powerful home console unit with an optional handheld device. That'd be pretty great, TBQH. Hard to deny the Switch's "switchability" is attractive to a lot of people though. Ditto its handheld mobile nature, maybe even moreso its portability. IF this rumor is true (if) Nintendo must have done research showing it's the more popular use scenario.

Last edited:

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
A handheld-only switch for the 2DS market would make a lot of sense.
It makes zero sense. You'd need to buy new controllers to take advantage of the one of the biggest selling points of the switch (out of the box multiplayer), and it would totally go against the whole concept of the console - the titular ability to "switch". You literally wouldn't be able to play Mario party without buying more controllers over what comes in the box.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
People seem to assume that a handheld only switch won't have detachable joy cons? I can't see that anywhere in patchers prediction.

You can only play it with detached joycons. A Switch revision with attached joycons would therefore make this game unplayable.

Why do you assume the joy cons won't be detachable?

The term handheld only can be confusing. Perhaps it means it just doesn't dock (doesn't make sense) or is sold without the dock (like in Japan).

Plum

May 31, 2018
The "Switch" logo still works for controllers. They don't necessarily have to be attached to the console.

If you're talking about the Pro controller then see:

An optional accessory is nowhere near the same thing as a new console revision that fundamentally changes the design of the console itself.

If not then, yeah, it still technically works but the Switch logo represents a lot more than just two sides of a controller. On top of that you've got the Switch 'click' and the animation to go alongside it, both of which are iconic to the Switch's brand image. Note that it's not that people might get confused (though that's a possibility), it's that a mis-matched image between brand and product is not something a company should strive toward.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
A handheld only Switch is not coming this short into its life cycle.

Nintendo needs to milk the hybrid function as long as possible. Its a core selling point at this stage in its life.

I do expect it to come eventually - 4th or 5th year.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It makes zero sense. You'd need to buy new controllers to take advantage of the one of the biggest selling points of the switch (out of the box multiplayer), and it would totally go against the whole concept of the console. You literally wouldn't be able to play Mario party without buying more controllers over what comes in the box.
For some reason I doubt Nintendo would have an issue with selling more Joycons. Hell, they bundle Super Mario Party with Joycon 2-packs. Most people already need to buy an accessory to get the most out of the game.

Nintendo is always going to desire the youngest age bracket for games, since that's been a staple of handheld game consoles since forever. Making a Switch that a parent is confident about leaving alone with a kid is sound business. Especially with a new Pokemon game around the same time.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Yeah I got some things mixed up

The revision coming this year isn't the "Pro" version

That doesnt however mean the Switch Pro does not exist
What if they pull a Sony and release the Slim (Lite) version and the Pro version at the same time period during the holiday season?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Wasn't there some data released a while back from Nintendo that said the number of people who played docked vs. handheld was an almost 50/50 split? It seems like a weird idea to make a Switch that only does one of those things.

Oct 26, 2017
You can't play Super Mario Party undocked? I'm sure you can. They even showed it in the trailer when lining up two switches side by side.

No you can't play it without joy-cons, (apart from that multiple Switch mini-game mode which probably wouldn't work with another design of Switch anyway).
Another game which couldn't be played at all without buying extra controllers is Mario Party for Wii U, so I don't think it's a big deal tbh.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
No you can't play it without joy-cons, (apart from that multiple Switch mini-game mode which probably wouldn't work with another design of Switch anyway).
Another game which couldn't be played at all without buying extra controllers is Mario Party for Wii U, so I don't think it's a big deal tbh.

If the handheld only switch has detachable Joycons it wouldn't be an issue though, right?

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
People keep saying Nintendo will/should do a handheld-only Switch, but how would that even work?

Like, would they really save that much money by not including a video out? They'd still need to include a USB-C port for charging, so it'd just be whatever SoC internals that allow for a video out. Is that component really that expensive? Seems like it might almost be more expensive to redesign the circuit board to omit it.

And I really don't see them removing Joy-Con functionality, far too many games require detached Joy-Cons or are built around the concept.

I could see them maybe selling a dock-less Switch that is otherwise exactly the same hardware-wise, which could save them a bit of money depending on how much of a markup there is on the dock currently, but that's about it I can see happening.

Oct 26, 2017
If the handheld only switch has detachable Joycons it wouldn't be an issue though, right?
If, but I'm expecting a whole different design with integrated controls. What you're describing sounds like a Switch with a broken usb port.
But hopefully an integrated system would have bluetooth for if you do want to play with external controllers, or else the compatibility situation does get messy.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
A switch without detachable joy con is a new handheld and not a switch. I could see that happening but it will be a totally new beast and not for awhile.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
People seem to assume that a handheld only switch won't have detachable joy cons? I can't see that anywhere in patchers prediction.

Why do you assume the joy cons won't be detachable?

The term handheld only can be confusing. Perhaps it means it just doesn't dock (doesn't make sense) or is sold without the dock (like in Japan).
If it keeps the detachable joycons, the potential cost savings become even more minuscule.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is there to cut to reduce the price?
Remove the detachable Joy-Cons and render certain games unplayable and confuse the customers at the same time?
The Video-Out which is basically the Power-Input, so that doesn't make sense either?
Make it even smaller and with that introducing new sets of Joy-Cons, which can't be used with "normal" Switch devices and Labo?

I don't see how any of this works.
I can see a SKU withhout the dock (just like in Japan) and some revisions in terms of power consumption and more battery life but
other than that? It would render the whole concept and identity absurd

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I can see it happening. After all they took the 3ds and made the 2ds. The weird wii mini and so on

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
The Video-Out which is basically the Power-Input, so that doesn't make sense either?

Removing the dock (or video out) may not save Nintendo much immediately at the time of purchase, but you're forgetting they'll make a decent amount off some of those same people who eventually do buy a dock at $100 (or whatever it ends up being if they lower the price.)

They can just include a charger in the box.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Removing the dock (or video out) may not save Nintendo much immediately at the time of purchase, but you're forgetting they'll make a decent amount off some of those same people who eventually do buy a dock at $100 (or whatever it ends up being if they lower the price.)

They can just include a charger in the box.
As I said, I can see them making a SKU without the dock, but not removing the docking-feature from the main-hardware itself

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
And I've seen it used on the bus, train, at work, at a restaurant and even by some dude literally walking down the street. Anecdotal evidence, how does it work

Yup...that's why I said "I know it's subjective and I'm sure the mobility of the console is a huge selling point for most" later in that same post and then went on to make my point....now do you have anything constructive to add? Because others were able to make the same observation as you while actually adding something to the conversation...or were you just here to point out that the thing I said was subjective is in fact subjective?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I would much rather have a much cheaper screenless tv only version of the switch.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I was going to say, that would go against everything the Switch stands for.

But I guess a 2DS goes against the entire premise of a 3DS, so I can't put it past them.

Oct 26, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.