• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
Six months from now: "Nintendo announces home console only version of the Switch for $199"

Oct 26, 2017
That's not KoopaSwitch's point though... Nintendo sells the damn thing for $60 and the AC adapter for $30. HDMI cable too. So there's your ~$100.

Are you seriously suggesting that the MSRP is equivalent to manufacturing costs that Nintendo would pay to develop these products you mentioned?

Because that is absolutely absurd

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Makes Sense, Personally I love what the switch does but I know a lot of people that are only interested in the handheld or docked portion of the switch.

They could cut the cost by a good 50$ by not including the dock and the joycon grip then sell those things to folks for more than that.

I also think a Docked only switch should be something they consider producing only, but that could get a bit trickier because that would be a totally seperate sku,

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think it's possible that Nintendo would release a home console only Switch, since that would significantly cut down on costs, but I very much doubt ripping out the parts of the Switch that let it dock to the TV would be at all worth it. (Though the idea some people have been tossing around of making it more powerful would be legitimately suicidal)

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Then what's the point of calling it Switch?

The whole concept behind the name Switch is that it is an home console that you can take with you.

I think he read Furukawa's interview and like many did, he already draw the conclusions "oh he is saying that because Nintendo is leaving the home console space" but there are no indications of that happening.

Pachter does have a point when he talks about selling a cheaper hardware, but i think you can also do that by releasing a newer model and lowering the price of the current Switch.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
if he means no dock and $50 cheaper.... sure?????

if he means different actual hardware. Of hell naw. TERRIBLE!!!!!!

even if they kept the same CPU/GPU and just cutout all USB-C function except for USB-C PD, and dropped the dock.. to save like $100... hell no.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Just a Switch in a smaller retail packaging minus the dock. $229 or even $199 is feasible.
Yeah that way they can just sell people the dock later if they want to upgrade. While they cut out the dock, HDMI cable, and joycon grip, then keep the costs of the higher priced SKU just under what it would cost for the system+dock if bought separately.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
This would be good choice as a 2nd Switch for parents with 2 or more children who each want their own Switch and can share a dock on a single TV.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So instead of Nintendo Switch 'NS' they can call it no Switch "nS" makes sense.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've suggested previously that surely any '-only' Switch would be home console-only, because that's the avenue through which there's money to be saved. There really wouldn't be *that* much difference between the handheld-only Switch and the current Switch in hardware terms, but a console-only unit wouldn't have to worry about form factor so there's a few more ways they could make things cheaper.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Are you seriously suggesting that the MSRP is equivalent to manufacturing costs that Nintendo would pay to develop these products you mentioned?

Since you seem to know so much about Nintendo's cost to manufacture, what would be the right price for just the Switch without those things?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This is how a lot of tiered products work though.

ie. They make the least amount of money on the cheapest model well trying to upsell you on the more expensive models that has some extra overpriced accessories thrown in.

Also wouldn't this be a great product for someone looking for a second switch?

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
5J7hoPT.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
If they are making a switch that cannot be plugged into a TV.......why? Presumably you would still be able use the USB-C port to HDMI right?

Oct 27, 2017
Eh I doubt it. Breaks the switch concept. Maybe but I could see it having joy cons still but a smaller screen and circle pads, just no dock.

Even then, taking out dock doesn't really take much off the costs to make, reducing screen size would tho.

For PS4 and Xbox, they will both hit $199 this year. Xbox probably first with the rumored discless model at e3, Sony probably in September alongside a major game like Dreams or Tsushima

Excited to see if they make a 7nm super slim PS4 and how small it can get

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I'd actually be all over that.

Pack in a pro controller and call it a day.

It would be much cheaper to produce than a portable-only version, for sure. You pick the dock, put a fan inside of it, a processor, a motherboard and call the day. High margin, low cost. The ideal product for any company.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
So this is the new switch model? I'm so glad I didn't wait for it.

Edit: oh it's just one man's speculation

Oct 26, 2017
I would really be surprised by this Switch theory. The problem with it is that it negates the core philosophy of the console and the design for its first party games: giving players a choice

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It does cost more to Nintendo to push a new SKU without USB-C to TV than just keep scaling the production of the current Switch, but sell it in a package without the dock. A switch without joycon wouldn't be compatible with Nintendo Labo and make a mess; and I'd argue that Labo's target and heavy handle held users are in fact very near demographics

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Price cut is super obvious. Dont need to be an analyst for that. Handheld only Switch? They should just make the current one with a better battery life and launch that.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we would stop reposting Pachter speculation. What is he providing at this point other than pointless forum discussion?

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a cheaper portable only Switch is very likely. But it would still be compatible with the dock and joycons, you would just have to buy them separately.
I think it would make a lot of sense for kids that just want to play Pokemon in it.

This sums up my thoughts exactly. Seems more believable than a "Pro" version to me.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see a non-docked Switch, but only because this is quite likely the last year of the 3DS and it looks like Nintendo is not planning a new dedicated handheld at the moment, seeing as the Switch itself meets a bit of that market as is.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A smaller Switch model could still be dockable you guys. Those concepts aren't mutually exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017
The same point of a 3DS without 3D. That is, being a cheaper option to diversify the appeal of the particular family of consoles.
If the 3DS could originally output to a TV via it's power port, and then they made a cheaper option that couldn't, what would be the point of reconfigure the port to remove that feature? Seems like redesigning the output and power to not hook up to a TV would cost more than anything else.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
These are predictions/guesses. Like the Wii HD. I don't think Pachter ever claims to be saying this based on any insider information.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
A handheld-only Switch that's cheaper and smaller for kids would probably be good business. It could still probably be connected to a dock, it just wouldn't come with one and wouldn't slot in as elegantly.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That's not KoopaSwitch's point though... Nintendo sells the damn thing for $60 and the AC adapter for $30. HDMI cable too. So there's your ~$100.

Yeah but they're not worth anywhere near close to that. If Nintendo sells a standalone Switch for $100 less, they're going to be sold at a loss. Nintendo doesn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.