• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got it on the PS4 on the UK store.

Weird!

6XGQ84l.jpg

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I hate the camera water drips.

a) they don'T make sense at all, since there IS no actual camera
b) even if they would, the drips just..dríp down at 200mph speeds.

I didn't expect this detail to literally distract and annoy me so much but here we are lol.

That's the Quantum Redshift influence.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that is strange.....

PACER

With the depth of a simulation and the excitement and combat of arcade racers, PACER® provides a true test of player skill, reflexes, and strategy. Choose from 4 speed classes ranging from 400 kmh - 1000 kmh, then engage in the Campaign or a single-player race via 8 different game modes...

here you go :)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that is strange.....

PACER

With the depth of a simulation and the excitement and combat of arcade racers, PACER® provides a true test of player skill, reflexes, and strategy. Choose from 4 speed classes ranging from 400 kmh - 1000 kmh, then engage in the Campaign or a single-player race via 8 different game modes...

here you go :)

Thanks!

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I really envy the people that are able to enjoy all these futuristic racers coming out. To me, this game has the same problem that Wip3out and FAST has in that the handling of the machines seem too floaty compared to something like F-Zero.

Maybe I just have to accept that F-Zero is the odd one out because nothing really compares to it, and Nintendo brought that franchise behind the barn and put a bullet in it's neck.

I'm a fellow F-Zero lover but this game is not very floaty compared to the PS1-era Wipeouts. People who love floatiness are going to be a little disappointed, as they probably were with WOHD a decade ago. It's not quite as on-rails as WO Fusion (made by different developers) was, but it's close.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm guessing that this is kinda the OT for this game now. Some impressions after ~5 hours played

• Visually it's great. I think some of R8's "amateurship" shows in the Formula Fusion tracks (idk how to put it but they're just not as interesting visually as the new ones), but there's some great sights to behold in this game. The same applies to track design, the FF ones are pretty plain and narrow in comparison to the flying spaghetti design of the new ones; which are also much wider thankfully, as it fits this game's playstyle more.
  • Content-wise seems fine for the price. Lots of customization for your ship for both visuals and handling, 14 unique tracks is a good amount, the soundtrack is quite expansive (80 songs might be a bit overkill actually lol) but it's also pretty good quality-wise. Tracks can also be reversed, mirrored, played at night or any combination of the previous so that adds some extra spice to keep things fresh.
  • Physics and controls in general is solid. The best way I could describe it, is imagine a slightly slower F-ZERO GX where you can only drift to turn, it takes some using to and I'm still not particularly good at avoiding hitting the walls but it's not like, say, Redout where the controls are very complex just for the sake of it. In fact there's no side-shifts or barrel rolls of any kind so it's a rather pure racing experience.
  • Online I briefly checked and when it worked it was fun, but it errored out every now and then (didn't try the matchmaking which uses Dedicated Servers so maybe that's better, idk).
  • I'm mixed on the whole loadout system. It's the same concept as Redout where you pick your gadgets before the race (although with many more gadgets and modifiers to play with), and while for normal races it works in letting you plan ahead since you always know which items you're gonna pick up, the combat modes don't work well at all with it since there's pretty much only a handful of weapons that are useful there. Speaking of that, it's also annoying that it only gives you a point if you kill the other racer instead of the WipEout way, since it means you can do 99% of the damage and if another racer damages that ship then, the point will go towards them instead.
  • Menus / UI are pretty unintuitive. Hard to explain via text and it's really not a huge deal, but you'll likely have to toy with some of the options for a bit before you get the hang of them.
  • The AI is pretty easy? Still in the early steps of the campaign but at least for now they're not that competitive and there's not a difficulty slider anywhere so I'm guessing it'll get harder as it progresses.
  • Some technical blemishes keep the experience from being as smooth as it should be. Random bugs, crashes, sound cutting off or not playing, controller binds not working; it's not frequent enough that I'd call it broken or anything but it is noticeable. R8 is working on fixes to their credit, so hopefully it should be solved soon enough.
  • While Ansel support is great, I'd much rather have a normal photo mode. The game looks really good
Anyways, for the current price of $33 thanks to the Steam launch sale I'd definitely recommend it if you want what's probably the closest we've gotten to a big budget AG Racer in like, a decade. Some screenshots:

389670_20201030231729_1.png

389670_20201030231927_1.png

389670_20201030231631_1.png

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I'm mixed on the whole loadout system. It's the same concept as Redout where you pick your gadgets before the race (although with many more gadgets and modifiers to play with), and while for normal races it works in letting you plan ahead since you always know which items you're gonna pick up, the combat modes don't work well at all with it since there's pretty much only a handful of weapons that are useful there. Speaking of that, it's also annoying that it only gives you a point if you kill the other racer instead of the WipEout way, since it means you can do 99% of the damage and if another racer damages that ship then, the point will go towards them instead.

Completely agreed on this; combat races so far have seemed like everybody is just using weapons on each other without having any way of knowing who's winning or losing, then a flurry of scoreboard action as multiple ships who had been at 10% or 5% get destroyed and racers start accumulating points in the only way they are being tallied. The points-for-multiple-actions system, with its bonus for being the one to eliminate a rival, was better.

If we can't have the old point system, it might at least be helpful to see a rival's remaining health percentage above their ship while racing so you know whom to aim for.

Menus / UI are pretty unintuitive. Hard to explain via text and it's really not a huge deal, but you'll likely have to toy with some of the options for a bit before you get the hang of them.

It could certainly be easier to get to some of the information the game is tracking. And I miss the incredibly detailed statistics that Wipeout games used to track.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
One of the trophies - "Is that you, Purdisc?", granted for being "overtaken by a pilot who is already ahead of you", appears to be a reference to this Twitterer and a race he was involved in back in 2017:

I can't figure out what that actually means, though; when I first saw it I thought it was about being lapped. I got it after a combat race, which makes it even weirder.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Watched some of this on stream earlier, as someone who enjoyed Wipeout tremendously, this looks great. Any word on a Switch version?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think if you're looking for a single player arcade racer you're likely to be disappointed with this one. The AI do not put up a good race, I have been playing for perhaps 3 hours and seen nothing but first place medals. I don't see the AI beyond the first 20 seconds of a race.

If you have any significant experience with the Wipeout series then I think you'll find yourself quite bored.

I bought some of the later tracks in the game for quickplay (you have to buy them with in-game credits) and bumped up the race speed to the max and then it provides a decent challenge (though I was still able to hit first on tracks I've never played). I loaded up a 'speed lap' event (where you kind of perform a time trial against other AI who race with you at the same time) and I could see that even the fastest AI here was 2-3 seconds behind my lap times.

I think in regular races there's some sort of banding which doesn't let them fall too far behind (as they always hover between the 500-1000m behind me mark) but it's still pretty underwhelming to play a racing game where I never get to see any of the AI. Every race is the same, I 20 seconds moving through the pack at the start, and then I never see anyone again. '

At times the highest speed class also feels too fast, as if the tracks aren't appropriately designed for the speed at which you're going. I was having to manage the throttle constantly just to stay inside the track. Perhaps that's the design intent but usually for these arcade racers it's pedal to the metal all the way. I'm rarely lifting off the accelerator in something like Wipeout or Redout, so it was odd to see that happening here but perhaps there was a mechanic I'm missing.

I like the idea of offering difficulty modes which make these types of games accessible to more players. I think games like Wipeout and F-Zero have been difficult to get into in the past because of their default, often immovable difficulties but here we have the opposing issue.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
In this age of games being released without manuals I'm left confused about some of the UI stuff. What does the ship icon at the center of the dashboard at the bottom mean -- it sometimes turns orange -- and what do the circles around it mean? It took me far too long to notice that the weapon on the left side was the one associated with L1, and the right with R1. Will we ever be able to carry more than 1 of things like tethers and waves?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
In this age of games being released without manuals I'm left confused about some of the UI stuff. What does the ship icon at the center of the dashboard at the bottom mean -- it sometimes turns orange -- and what do the circles around it mean? It took me far too long to notice that the weapon on the left side was the one associated with L1, and the right with R1. Will we ever be able to carry more than 1 of things like tethers and waves?
The center icon means somebody close to you has a weapon I think? It's hard to tell.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I think if you're looking for a single player arcade racer you're likely to be disappointed with this one. The AI do not put up a good race, I have been playing for perhaps 3 hours and seen nothing but first place medals. I don't see the AI beyond the first 20 seconds of a race.

I bought some of the later tracks in the game for quickplay (you have to buy them with in-game credits) and bumped up the race speed to the max and then it provides a decent challenge (though I was still able to hit first on tracks I've never played). I loaded up a 'speed lap' event (where you kind of perform a time trial against other AI who race with you at the same time) and I could see that even the fastest AI here was 2-3 seconds behind my lap times.

I'm appreciating the gentler difficulty curve this time around and have no problem with making things easy until players at least get to experience every course. My forays into F1000 and Elite were tough, and I'm still bouncing off the walls on the thinner courses, so I have lots of practice to put in.

On some of the courses I'm having the experience you're having -- as soon as I get out ahead of the other ships, they never get close again, and I win easily. But there are others where it takes me many tries to succeed, particularly the "eliminate other ships" challenges; I can't see how anyone could ever eliminate more than 10 in one session, at least not with the base weapons. (Which reminds me, the game should really introduce you to the advance weapons and features better. Each team will have a specific weapon that they'll make you race with, but I haven't been taught anything about the other ship types and the modifications to the different weapons.)

And this is trivial, but some of the ships have a number 0 on the side or front; will we ever get to put our own number on the ship? I don't care about logos, but for whatever reason I want a number. In F-Zero GX I used up all four custom graphics on digits on each side of the ship ^_^;

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm appreciating the gentler difficulty curve this time around and have no problem with making things easy until players at least get to experience every course. My forays into F1000 and Elite were tough, and I'm still bouncing off the walls on the thinner courses, so I have lots of practice to put in.

On some of the courses I'm having the experience you're having -- as soon as I get out ahead of the other ships, they never get close again, and I win easily. But there are others where it takes me many tries to succeed, particularly the "eliminate other ships" challenges; I can't see how anyone could ever eliminate more than 10 in one session, at least not with the base weapons. (Which reminds me, the game should really introduce you to the advance weapons and features better. Each team will have a specific weapon that they'll make you race with, but I haven't been taught anything about the other ship types and the modifications to the different weapons.)

And this is trivial, but some of the ships have a number 0 on the side or front; will we ever get to put our own number on the ship? I don't care about logos, but for whatever reason I want a number. In F-Zero GX I used up all four custom graphics on digits on each side of the ship ^_^;

The combat ones are different yeah.

They feel kind of bad compared to their execution in Wipeout though. Perhaps I'm missing some mechanic here but in Wipeout HD you can turn your ship around with a button press, and you also have a 'track position' indicator for all of the other ships. Those two things make a big difference for this style of event as they let you hunt down ships much more easily. Wipeout also credits ship damage and not just ship eliminations.

The issue with those events in the end comes down to the same problem that they have in Wipeout, in that it's kind of random how well you perform. In this game especially since it's only crediting the last hit on a ship (the elimination) you can be flinging projectiles out and have other ships stealing your eliminations. Ships that are at low HP do start smoking, but I've never managed to see that clearly on any ship other than my own.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

Here's a link to the US store too -- because it seems like the search is broken there as well. Maybe a good idea to have these links in the OP.

PACER

I'm really enjoying the game. Settling into it at a slow pace, but I'm really enjoying the campaign structure; how it goes through "training", then you choose between a few teams, etc. etc. The garage stuff and experimenting with loadouts is fun to mess around with.

The different modes are also fun; particularly enjoying elimination.

Early race in the game and I was still rather wobbly. I noticed how in these games when I start out I'm really twitchy at first as I figure out the handling model, then slowly my inputs become more smooth and controlled. It's a nice transition.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a link to the US store too -- because it seems like the search is broken there as well. Maybe a good idea to have these links in the OP.

PACER

Good old PSN store search for new indie games strikes again!

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I've been following this since the beginning, but something has always felt off about it. Physics doesn't look as tight as in Wipeout and that's my main reason I'm holding off on buying this.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018

If you have any significant experience with the Wipeout series then I think you'll find yourself quite bored.

I think in regular races there's some sort of banding which doesn't let them fall too far behind (as they always hover between the 500-1000m behind me mark) but it's still pretty underwhelming to play a racing game where I never get to see any of the AI. Every race is the same, I 20 seconds moving through the pack at the start, and then I never see anyone again. '

At times the highest speed class also feels too fast, as if the tracks aren't appropriately designed for the speed at which you're going. I was having to manage the throttle constantly just to stay inside the track. Perhaps that's the design intent but usually for these arcade racers it's pedal to the metal all the way. I'm rarely lifting off the accelerator in something like Wipeout or Redout, so it was odd to see that happening here but perhaps there was a mechanic I'm missing.

I like the idea of offering difficulty modes which make these types of games accessible to more players. I think games like Wipeout and F-Zero have been difficult to get into in the past because of their default, often immovable difficulties but here we have the opposing issue.

Ahh that's unfortunate about the single player being light on content. Was hoping for a meaty campaign with competitive ai like wipeout's

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ahh that's unfortunate about the single player being light on content. Was hoping for a meaty campaign with competitive ai like wipeout's

I think it might be quite long. I'm not sure. It doesn't lay things out so clearly in front of you like the Wipeout games do. But I imagine you'd get many hours out of it, and eventually, it'll become more challenging too.

It's for the early hours, probably a good half of the campaign, it's never that challenging.

If you haven't tried it, I'd get BallisticNG, that game is fantastic if you like Wipeout games. Less visual spectacle than something like Pacer though.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I've been with the series since the original PSX game, and I don't feel this way. I've only been playing it moderately though, a few races here and there between life stuff. But I don't feel bored by it yet.

I mean more, not challenged than bored. Bored is more subjective. I think if you're into Wipeout and you're the type of person that has say, the elite medals on Wipeout HD, then there's almost no challenge here.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol wtf. do the npcs have lag or something in this game?

No, it waits for the AI to finish all their laps in a speed run event, it doesnt leave predicted times but instead waits forr everyone to finish unlike some other games that have a time attack mode with a full grid, not that many do that usually.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018

PACER

I added this to the OP for people who can't find the game. Good addition!

Last edited:

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
So err...Sony. Fancy contracting these guys to do a Wipeout 1-3 collection?

I'll have a PS5 arriving in a few weeks. Is a PS5 specific version likely? I'd be happy to get the PS4 version if not, but I'd rather hold out.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Some UI questions: when you're doing the series of challenges for each team, the screen shows your Speed Class, Medals, and Goal Success. What does "Goal Success" mean? It doesn't refer to passing each goal, because I have 0/7 for several of them despite having finished in the top three in all events and moved on to the next team's event.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Some UI questions: when you're doing the series of challenges for each team, the screen shows your Speed Class, Medals, and Goal Success. What does "Goal Success" mean? It doesn't refer to passing each goal, because I have 0/7 for several of them despite having finished in the top three in all events and moved on to the next team's event.

Yeah, I found it a little strange too. It seems that you have to finish 1st in each event to really move the goal counter up. It is a little strange though -- I swear there was one case where I had 3/5 goals, with 3rd place in one of the events. I then redid the event and placed first, but I was still at 4/5 goals. Then I had to do it a third time, placed 1st, and only then was it 5/5. Maybe I missed something specific, but it seems the progression calculations are a little strange.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah, I found it a little strange too. It seems that you have to finish 1st in each event to really move the goal counter up. It is a little strange though -- I swear there was one case where I had 3/5 goals, with 3rd place in one of the events. I then redid the event and placed first, but I was still at 4/5 goals. Then I had to do it a third time, placed 1st, and only then was it 5/5. Maybe I missed something specific, but it seems the progression calculations are a little strange.

I don't think it's golds, because right now I'm doing the Izulu challenges (and am stuck!) and out of the three events I've completed, I have one each of bronze, silver, and gold, but have three of seven goals completed.

I'm also noticing that you don't seem to be able to go back and join a different team when you get stuck in a situation like this. I can't even come close in Izulu 4 ("Second Race") and would like to try a different challenge. Part of it is that this ship is hard to pilot, but really the problem is my lack of talent. I can't even finish above seventh!

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I'm also noticing that you don't seem to be able to go back and join a different team when you get stuck in a situation like this. I can't even come close in Izulu 4 ("Second Race") and would like to try a different

There is an "Other contracts" option in those screens, I believe. Square button or something like that. Watch out for it at the bottom of the the track selection page of the team you are currently in.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Maybe I just have to accept that F-Zero is the odd one out because nothing really compares to it, and Nintendo brought that franchise behind the barn and put a bullet in it's neck.
F-Zero physics is more like a vehicle attached to 'rails' rather than 'hovering'. It's just a different driving model, but they're both still futuristic racers.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
There is an "Other contracts" option in those screens, I believe. Square button or something like that. Watch out for it at the bottom of the the track selection page of the team you are currently in.

I'm not seeing this anywhere; the square button doesn't seem to do anything. I'm looking at the "Set Three" selection, then the four races I have access to, and I can't press Square here at all. Once I select a race, I can press Square to bring up the garage.

I also don't see the alternate goals anywhere.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks alright, makes me want a new F-Zero more than anything, I was never really a Wipeout person.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck. I'll definitely get this once the PS5 update is out.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
So i've been playing the game on two platforms, and:

PC:
- Ultrawide resolutions don't seem to be hor+, and i haven't found a way to fix it yet.
- I would like for the resolution scaling to go past 100% so i could supersample within the game itself.
- I can't lock the framerate without the game having some weird stuttering here and there, like the camera is shaking. Tried with vsync on the nvidia panel, tried with Freesync, and with RTSS (which doesnt even attach itself to the game). It is really weird.

PS4:
- Played some online matches and the game crashed in two of them. Hopefully the newest patch fixed that already.
- The game runs and looks really good on the Pro.

Both:
- They need to add private slots to online lobbies.
- They need to add checkboxes to the UI so we can keep track on which races we completed the team goals.
- They need to add cooldown to the weapons on multiplayer races (because good luck right now racing against pilots spamming mines).
- The AI difficulty is really low.
- Coming from Formula Fusion, the new tracks are decent.

I'm enjoying the new content quite a bit.

EDIT: I forgot something. They need to add the option to control the ships with dpad on PS4.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
I'm happy for Wipeout fans as they have had so many choices the past few years. However I wish there was a futuristic racing game that matched the handling (and heck, boost mechanics) of F-Zero. :(

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for Wipeout fans as they have had so many choices the past few years. However I wish there was a futuristic racing game that matched the handling (and heck, boost mechanics) of F-Zero. :(
Might want to look at Super Pilot on PC for something similar to F-Zero

As for Pacer, I have definitely enjoyed my time with but im starting to notice some issues with it myself.. the speeds of the vehicles that can be reached is WAY too fast for some track to even be remoutely fair haha

Looks good, are they working with Designers Republic? (Does DR still exist?)
technically it still exists but is now run by a single person I believe, specifically the founder Ian Anderson.

Last edited: