• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Wipeout fans have been waiting a long time since the release of Wipeout 2048 on the Vita roughly eight years ago. After the sudden disbandment of Studio Liverpool, the franchise went into hibernation, but some of the members got together and began work on something new: this game, initially called Formula Fusion and now called Pacer. PC players have had it for some time, but console players have been kept waiting... until today.

The PSN search function seems to not be displaying this game properly, so here is a link to the North American store:

PACER

With the depth of a simulation and the excitement and combat of arcade racers, PACER® provides a true test of player skill, reflexes, and strategy. Choose from 4 speed classes ranging from 400 kmh - 1000 kmh, then engage in the Campaign or a single-player race via 8 different game modes...

Announcement trailer:

Quick gameplay preview of Sonashahar, one of the first tracks:

Live stream with some day-one impressions:

For contrast, here is an older build with a slightly different UI:

Price isn't cheap at $39.99 plus tax in the US; £32.99 in the UK. Multilingual out of the box: the North American version includes English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, and Simplified Chinese.

After an hour or so of gameplay I'm liking what I'm seeing. These are very preliminary observations, but:

- Wipeout's weapons are back. The missile, the quake, the bomb (which in the game looks a lot like the one in Wipeout Fury's Zone Detonator mode), plus some new faces like a weapon that fires from next to your ship (think Gradius' "option").

- Music is back. WOHD Omega suffered from not having very many songs; even an hour-long session would exhaust the soundtrack. This time we get around 80 music tracks, with Cold Storage returning for eight of them and a variety of other composers.

- Nice variety of tracks to race on. In past games we've gotten both forward and reverse variations; this time we have that plus a "mirror" option that gives you a mirror image of the regular track. You can choose to race in the day or night, too, independent of which variation you're on. (I always wanted the reverse tracks to be at night so that you could more closely associate a track with a background, but...)

- Remember how WO 2048 dialed the difficulty up and frustrated some newbies (and veterans)? This time they ease you into things. There's a short four-race Training Course for neophytes (1. Mechanics Intro; 2. Guns Ready; 3. Gear Up; 4. Graduate) that will introduce you to the basics -- Wipeout veterans will pass this on the first try. You then race in a Grand Prix, and following that, three teams try to recruit you. I'm doing those now.

- Speeds are very slow in the beginning. You can come to this game with no WO experience and learn the ropes. But if you do have experience, you'll jump right in. Track mechanics are what you're used to: weapon pickups, speed pads, and shield pickups. There are now double speed pads where you'll get an extra boost if you run right between them.

More media coming as I discover it! If you see a racer named Heian_Xavier online, that's me!

So who else has this game and what does everyone think?

Last edited:

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying it so far, This is the second chance Formula Fusion deserved and my goodness does it feel good for the most part :D still playing through more of it at the moment though. However i did do a quick tease run of the Elite speed class out of curiosity... Let's just say I was not quite ready for this haha

(PS4 capture recording, the game does run at 60fps on PS4pro but this is direct from PS4 share button capture, which cant do 60fps)

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'll be grabbing this in a few days, impressions have been pretty positive

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Some quirks I'm noticing (not judging whether they're necessarily good or bad just yet):

- The game doesn't tell you how many seconds behind or ahead of the leader you are; instead the distance between you and your nearest rival is shown.

- Fonts are very tiny. I get that they want the race to dominate the screen, but important information is often too small. On the other hand, they seem to be using monospaced numbers everywhere, which is great. This might not sound like a big deal, but having all the digits in numbers like your speed be the same width is the correct design decision; in previous games they have had the "1" be thinner, etc., and so it has looked like something is moving in the corner of your screen.

- The button prompts are sometimes wrong because they assume that your PS4 is the same region as the game. I have a Japanese PS4 with O as the default "accept" button and occasionally I have to press O despite the game telling me to press X to proceed. This is looking like a genuine bug as I can't seem to create and give a name to a new loadout because of this.

- There doesn't seem to be any customization of controls. It looks like there is, in the Settings menu, but you don't seem to be able to change them. They're not too different from classic Wipeout and I've just adjusted to them so far: L2 and R2 for brakes, L1 and R1 for weapons; accelerate is X. I keep trying to press O to absorb unneeded weapons and this game doesn't seem to have that mechanic! [Edit: a later patch fixed this. You can customize buttons now.]

- Not sure if online play is up and running yet. And when I try to find a match, there is no way to back out of it; I have to close the game.

- In contrast to WOHD's very tough trophies, here you get several in rapid succession basically on your first day playing. And there don't seem to be any hidden trophies.

Last edited:

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i need more info about the technical aspects:
-solid 60 fps on pro?
- whats the resolution? will it get an upgrade on ps5 (or series x)?
- is there hdr support?

Aug 30, 2020
Anyone know if they've made any improvements in the last 3 months or so? Because on PC I never really felt it. Even after it became Pacer from being Formula Fusion.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck did I miss the PC release of this.

That is Wipeout. Bloody hell!

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Too expensive to buy this month, but I'll get it down the line. Hoping for some next-gen boosts.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
How much Content is there? $40 is steep, but if there are a bevy of courses, vehicles, and event types, then I'm all in.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Shame this isn't on Switch, really hope they'll consider a port down the line. But I'm definitely interested on the PC version.

How do the physics compare to WipEout Omega? With anti-grav titles, physics completely make or break the game.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
How do the physics compare to WipEout Omega? With anti-grav titles, physics completely make or break the game.

Very recent-Wipeout-ish so far. I had been hoping for more of the "floatiness" that grabbed people with the first WO a quarter of a century (!) ago, but it's still good.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
- Music is back. WOHD Omega suffered from not having very many songs; even an hour-long session would exhaust the soundtrack. This time we get around 80 music tracks, with Cold Storage returning for eight of them and a variety of other composers.

ooo boy my fingertips feel lit and tingly

hmm...doesn't seem to be on the US Playstation store yet, maybe at 12pm PT?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Very recent-Wipeout-ish so far. I had been hoping for more of the "floatiness" that grabbed people with the first WO a quarter of a century (!) ago, but it's still good.
Recent WipEout is good. In fact, the more it plays like WipEout HD in particular, the better.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
ooo boy my fingertips feel lit and tingly

hmm...doesn't seem to be on the US Playstation store yet, maybe at 12pm PT?

Unless there's some kind of time-zone-related lock, it's there right now and went live at midnight GMT. I bought it from there almost 12 hours ago. Search for "Pacer" and, after months of only seeing some silly basketball-related DLC, you should finally see this.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so it isn't WipEout, it lacks the floatiness that is really WipEout's thing, even in the HD versions, buit so far I am actually impressed and I was pretty pessimistic. WIll be giving it a proper go tonight.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see how this has changed from Formula Fusion from a few years ago. I always found the disavowal of the old game, to the point of cleaning up the Steam forums recently to hide all of the old posts, a little bit weird, especially if it turns out Pacer is really 80-90% Formula Fusion anyways.

That said, I do remember the game being pretty good, though it suffered from some pretty serious performance optimization issues.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so it isn't WipEout, it lacks the floatiness that is really WipEout's thing, even in the HD versions, buit so far I am actually impressed and I was pretty pessimistic. WIll be giving it a proper go tonight.

Interesting input from someone in your position! Have you played BallisticNG by any chance, for comparison? I found the handling in that really spot-on, despite being a good bit faster than what I recall Wipeout being. I've only played the handheld ones though.

Feb 8, 2018
the videos in the thread look okay, not an obvious evolution rather solid. Atmosphere at night is nice and makes it feel different than WO Omega. Ultimately WO does seem more polished overall.

Last edited:

JamboGT

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting input from someone in your position! Have you played BallisticNG by any chance, for comparison? I found the handling in that really spot-on, despite being a good bit faster than what I recall Wipeout being. I've only played the handheld ones though.
I really like BallisticNG but it is more like a Wip3out handling model, this is a little more like a cross between WipEoutHD and F Zero, or maybe a bit like a Fusion style thing, though there are different ship builds and you can make it more drifty.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I hate the camera water drips.

a) they don'T make sense at all, since there IS no actual camera
b) even if they would, the drips just..dríp down at 200mph speeds.

I didn't expect this detail to literally distract and annoy me so much but here we are lol.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I really like BallisticNG but it is more like a Wip3out handling model, this is a little more like a cross between WipEoutHD and F Zero, or maybe a bit like a Fusion style thing, though there are different ship builds and you can make it more drifty.

Ah, thanks for weighing in on that. I'll be keeping an eye on more reviews and footage as it comes out, then. I'd love to see some videos on the survival/zone mode as well. My favorite in these games.

One more question (or maybe someone else knows): how technical is the handling model? Are airbrakes analog and does it have ship pitch adjustment? Haven't been able to find much about this.

Edit: Watched a stream that went through the tutorial, and it does show pitching up and down. Neat! Airbrakes are on the triggers so I have to presume it's analog.

Last edited:

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've been following this game without keeping up with its news. I remember the (super rough) original FF trailer, and the Pacer console announcement, but that's it. Definitely interested because Fast RMX and Redout didn't do enough for me (very glad I played them, though!) with WipEout HD/Omega still at the top after 10 years.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is even less floaty that on previous iterations (Formula Fusion), but it's been a while since i played the game so i might be wrong.

JamboGT

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is it is ok to be different, it isn't WipEout but, I do kinda miss the feeling of momentum and weight the ships have.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Next Gen upgrade confirmed (hopefully RT and the other stuff present on the PC version):

Devs said they didn't really want it to be WipEout, so they tried to make it its own thing. Despite what the title says there's also no Studio Liverpool people involved with this game.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is it is ok to be different, it isn't WipEout but, I do kinda miss the feeling of momentum and weight the ships have.
Definitely, but i'm so hardwired to the Wipeout handling that this one feels weird (to the point of noticing it even in comparison to Formula Fusion).

JamboGT

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Devs said they didn't really want it to be WipEout, so they tried to make it its own thing. Despite what the title says there's also no Studio Liverpool people involved with this game.

Yeah it wasn't Studio Liverpool, it was the Leeds studio that worked on Wip3out where some of the devs came from.

And yeah they might say they didn't want it to be WipEout but they got Designers Republic, Cold Storage called the leagues F(number) and have Zone mode so they obviously have a very strong inspiration lol.

JamboGT

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it is growing on me so far, just finished the first few career events.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How much Content is there? $40 is steep, but if there are a bevy of courses, vehicles, and event types, then I'm all in.
14 tracks, that can all be reversed, mirrored or set in day/night. 5 ships that are able to be modified with performance mods and weapon loadouts, and plenty of event types, there's actually a decent amount here to do! (sadly no splitscreen mode)

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Graphically, this is a massive leap from Formula Fusion. Honestly thought they were gonna pump and dump that game.

Physics-wise, BallisticNG looks like it's still eating their lunch.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
people who own the game, how is online? its the only thing that i'm interested in

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Looks interesting.

2048 really frustrated me on the harder levels. I just couldn't keep up with the AI, unlike in HD and Fury.

Bill

Oct 29, 2017
Feel like saving this to make my first game on PS5 for old times sake. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
people who own the game, how is online? its the only thing that i'm interested in
On the Steam store page, it said yesterday that while there's an online option in the menu they are yet to implement it. Don't know how long it'll be until it's up though. Obviously, for PC. Unsure about consoles.

Fake edit: Shit, completely misread what they wrote, they were talking about voice chat:
One quick release note. You'll see in the online multiplayer Lobbies that Voice Chat is present but not functional. We had to remove it recently but the UI was left in for expediency.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Initial races of Career Mode in a long 18-minute video:

Sonashahar, in India, is the home track of the Garuda team. Lots of long straight stretches with a surprising split in the course that will take you off guard your first time.

The Laika Kosmodrom (starting at 5:07) is that of the Gagarin team (loving these USSR space race references). They're big on combat-type events; later on as part of their team's trial you will have to make 5 eliminations in 5 minutes just to get a bronze medal; I haven't been able to get more than that.

Uma V (at 10:20) is in South Africa, as Izulu's home track. (Does "uma" mean anything in Zulu? I remember the Assegai ("spear") team from previous games.) This is a "last man drop off" style race where at certain points whoever is in last place is eliminated. You don't have to get into first place right away, but you'd better do so when you're one of the last two still running.

At 15:00 we go to Midtown Trafik in Georgia, USA. This is set in an abandoned city; do they say why a whole city is abandoned like this? I rather liked the gleaming future of previous games.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I remember playing this at Brazil Game Show last year, I sucked at it but it was pretty fun and I remember liking the sound design. Played it while chatting with the devs for a bit, so that was cool.

OP
OP

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I found a solution to this bug:

- The button prompts are sometimes wrong because they assume that your PS4 is the same region as the game. I have a Japanese PS4 with O as the default "accept" button and occasionally I have to press O despite the game telling me to press X to proceed. This is looking like a genuine bug as I can't seem to create and give a name to a new loadout because of this.

Sometimes the game uses "press X" to mean "press the X button", and other times it means "press the 'accept' button".

In the PS4's settings menu, under 'System', on Japanese PS4s there is an option to make X the accept button, and if you do that, this game works fine. I can now make more custom loadouts and edit them, which I couldn't before.

(Has anyone found a way to rename a loadout once you've created it? I find myself picking out weapons and things and only then deciding what to call the loadout.)

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
So is this made by devs from the main Wipeout team or not? Was Wip3out made by a side team?

Regardless this looks amazing.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
There's a little bit of UI funkiness, but the handling is so incredibly improved from the Formula Fusion days, the graphics look great, and the tracks are really cool. I need to play more, but so far I'm super impressed!

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Ooh, the game's out now. Like what I'm hearing so far.
I noticed that too when I was looking at the preview builds a few weeks back. I'd like to try it myself.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I really envy the people that are able to enjoy all these futuristic racers coming out. To me, this game has the same problem that Wip3out and FAST has in that the handling of the machines seem too floaty compared to something like F-Zero.

Maybe I just have to accept that F-Zero is the odd one out because nothing really compares to it, and Nintendo brought that franchise behind the barn and put a bullet in it's neck.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Okay, Pacer's Highest speed class (Elite) might be a little too fast for its own good haha, really been enjoying it so far though! It has been a lot of fun to play and experiment with builds!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Am I going mad? I can't find this in any console store. Has it launched (in the UK) yet?