• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like it more than what we got?

• I like it more

Votes: 70 78.7%
  • I like it less

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • I like it the same

Votes: 9 10.1%

• Total voters

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
g1kv5330roe41.jpg

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would he cut himself from the Force though? Because otherwise he would still have his VPN connection to Rey

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of Ben in exile but not necessarily on Luke's island. There's not really anything good he can do to atone there. Luke went there to die. It's a dead end.

Last edited:

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It is a nice idea, but I still like the idea of him fleeing into the stars to atone for his mistakes. Would have been neat to see where that story goes and give him a chance to do what Vader never could.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
All I'll say is that there is a literal force bridge that allows selected users to reshape certain events. Anything can happen.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like IX needed to have a definitive end to his story. Leaving him alive just means people bending over backwards to further redeem him in the fiction. Not really interested in that. He did something good in the end, but that's it. What that means for him in terms of redemption is left to the audience to decide and debate.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Rey: "But why would you go? Why be all alone?"
Ben: "Because my name....is Ben Solo"
CREDITS ROLL
STAR WARS MUSIC PLAYS

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
This would be okay, but only if there were plans to follow up on it with additional movies, where part of Ben's story is to go out on his own, make peace with himself, and earn his redemption. Otherwise, it kinda comes off as a cheap callback.

Since they wanted to end the story with IX, a more, er, permanent conclusion for him made a bit more sense.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Dammit, can't view Reddit at work. Is there anything more to his going into exile?

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know my fanfic is approved by at least one member of the story group.

My fanfic ending for Kylo would've been for him to end up on Ahch-To like Luke. Whether through self-exile or stranded there by the resistance. A prison of sorts where he'd have to reckon with what he's done but still having the opportunity to rebuild himself in the birthplace of the Jedi. With Luke et al there in spirit to guide him should he be open to it. Maybe with a hint of Rey returning there as well at some point. But this was also with the idea that IX wouldn't be the end and he could potential return one day redeemed.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
My ideal ending would be him surviving but in saving Rey he uses up all his force energy and is cut off from it. Not sure that makes much sense in how the force is explained but it'd be cool. Then he has to atone for his crimes etc.

Oct 27, 2017
My personal fan fiction ending would be Ben cutting himself off of the Force because he can't deal with Luke's force ghost haunting him, literally and figuratively. Then you could have a flashforward at the end that's years into the future, showing Leia leaving his cell/exile island and Ben opening himself up to the force again to reconcile with luke.

Redemption through death is a trope that really annoys me. It's such a weak-ass way to avoid having a character face their actions.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That could work, with Luke just scolding him 24/7 and really driving him nuts

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe his ghost went into a Snoke test tube clone....Benoke "Hey Rey, wanna force bridge, it's me Ben. Rey "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Luke's island receptionist: "What is your name?"
Ben: "Ben."
Luke's island receptionist: "Is there anyone with you?"
Ben: "No. I'm alone."
Luke's island receptionist: "Ben... Solo."

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
He should've flown to Ach-to, destroyed his ship, helmet, and lightsaber. Somehow create a scene that says he's ready to stay there forever. He doesn't need or want to be involved in the galaxy's affairs ever again.

Then at the very last second, have him find Luke's 2nd lightsaber.

eh

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
If he fell on his saber and accidentally killed himself it would have been better than what we got

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
It still wouldn't have been a great ending but it would have been far better than the one we got.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Nah, he needs to face the consequences of his actions. Partying with caretakers and drinking blue milk straight from the source are not my idea of a punishment, nor would it be acceptable by the Republic. Ben dying was the correct choice to make, otherwise we would have to suffer from seeing these characters again in future media, which is not something I want to happen.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Put me on team "better than what we got". However, Ben bending falling down and crapping his pants would have been better than what we got.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I mean what we got wasn't good but neither is this so I guess the same? How about a story where Ben actually earns his redemption and then has to face justice for this crimes and atrocities?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rey names herself Skywalker, the implication being that she considers herself to be the adopted daughter of Luke and/or Leia.

Doesn't that make her Ben's half-brother or cousin?

Did Rey kiss her brother/cousin?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't really understand why all the decisions on the movies are made by the filmmakers. What's the point of having a story group if they're going to be completely ignored and have no input on the movies?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Ben should have lost his connection to the force and live in exile. Death is such a fucking easy end that I can only imagine JJ never thought about anything else because he's a basic fucking dude

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand why all the decisions on the movies are made by the filmmakers. What's the point of having a story group if they're going to be completely ignored and have no input on the movies?

JJ is a hack but I doubt they get to hold huge sway on major films, just connecting and filling things out.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Rey names herself Skywalker, the implication being that she considers herself to be the adopted daughter of Luke and/or Leia.

Doesn't that make her Ben's half-brother or cousin?

Did Rey kiss her brother/cousin?

No, because you can't adopt yourself into a dead family. He took Luke's surname but that doesn't make them her actual parents.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
His death was by far the biggest sin of the films. Everything else you can live with--Rey Palpatine doesn't mean all that much at the end of the day because she can still carve out her own legacy.

Removing a character with Ben's potential, when it served absolutely nothing--I don't understand why it happened. I think we certainly shouldn't be afraid of killing off characters, but the ST failed to cement a core group of heroes in place that we'd love to hear more from. The chances of returning to an Episode X in order to see the relationship dynamic between Ben, Poe, Finn, and Rey, as allies against the next threat, and building the new order--there's a fucking lot you can do with that.

I am really down about the decision whenever I think about TRoS.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So when Force users are done, they just go chill on that island from now on? Is it like a Force users retirement home?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
His death was by far the biggest sin of the films. Everything else you can live with--Rey Palpatine doesn't mean all that much at the end of the day because she can still carve out her own legacy.

Removing a character with Ben's potential, when it served absolutely nothing--I don't understand why it happened. I think we certainly shouldn't be afraid of killing off characters, but the ST failed to cement a core group of heroes in place that we'd love to hear more from. The chances of returning to an Episode X in order to see the relationship dynamic between Ben, Poe, Finn, and Rey, as allies against the next threat, and building the new order--there's a fucking lot you can do with that.

I am really down about the decision whenever I think about TRoS.
These actors weren't coming back