• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.indiatvnews.com

Oxford University's team 'absolutely on track', coronavirus vaccine likely to be available by September

Oxford University's coronavirus vaccine trial team is 'absolutely on track' and the vaccine could be available as early as September, David Carpenter, Chairman of the Berkshire Research Ethics Committee, which approved the Oxford trial has said.
Oxford University's coronavirus vaccine trial team is 'absolutely on track' and the vaccine could be available as early as September, David Carpenter, Chairman of the Berkshire Research Ethics Committee, which approved the Oxford trial has said. This comes as a big breakthrough in the fight against coronavirus. 'The Lancet' medical journal has confirmed that it would be publishing early-stage human trial data from the Oxford team on Monday.

"Nobody can put final dates... things might go wrong but the reality is that by working with a big pharma company, that vaccine could be fairly widely available around September and that is the sort of target they are working on," David Carpenter said.
Researchers at the University of Oxford believe they may have a breakthrough in their search for a COVID-19 vaccine after the team discovered that the jab could provide "double protection" against the deadly coronavirus following early-stage human trials, according to media reports in the UK.

Blood samples taken from a group of UK volunteers given a dose of the vaccine showed that it stimulated the body to produce both antibodies and "killer T-cells", a senior source from the trial was quoted by 'The Daily Telegraph' as saying.

The discovery is promising because separate studies have suggested that antibodies may fade away within months while T-cells can stay in circulation for years.
"I can tell you that we now know the Oxford vaccine covers both bases – it produces both a T cell and an antibody response. It's the combination of these two that will hopefully keep people safe. So far, so good. It's an important moment. But we still have a long way to go," the source said.

Another source close to the team described the presence of both antibodies and T-cells as a "double defence" against COVID-19.
The vaccine, named ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, is based on a weakened version of the common cold that causes infections in chimpanzees. It also contains the genetic material of the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 – the strain of coronavirus that causes the COVID-19 illness.

The Oxford University vaccine is one of more than 100 in development as the novel coronavirus continues to spread – infecting more than 13 million people and killing at least 582,000 worldwide.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds too good to be true! But would be awesome, I'd like to be able hang out outside in my fav season.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That seems wildly fast but I'm not going to discount a good thing.

I can see the US totally botching the distribution of it, however, by failing to prepare materials, just like they did with testing...

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I want this to be good news, but couldn't there be potential harm in developing a vaccine on such a fast track? Doesn't it usually take years to test for the effects on animals and then humans? Is there perhaps something safer about this one that doesn't require as much testing, or is it just being sped out the door because the need/desire to contain Covid outweighs the risk?

*I'm in no way, shape or form an anti-vaxxer or anything crazy. Just curious for more information.

Oct 25, 2017
That seems wildly fast but I'm not going to discount a good thing.

I can see the US totally botching the distribution of it, however, by failing to prepare materials, just like they did with testing...

Yeah, part of me says that Trump would love this timing, but it's going to be a struggle just getting a third of this country to even take a vaccine. He's gonna fuck it up big time.

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
So if Oxford University's vaccine moves forward with widespread use in September, does that mean only the UK gets it? Not sure how its distribution works so apologies if it's a dumb question.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's true. Riding public transportation to work these past few months have me on edge.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Even if successful, September sounds optimistic considering it's only a bit more than a month away, but hopefully by the end of the year.

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
So if Oxford University's vaccine moves forward with widespread use in September, does that mean only the UK gets it? Not sure how its distribution works so apologies if it's a dumb question.
Astra Zenica owns the license, so I believe the US (and UK?) would get it first.

edit: I think I'm mistaken

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the specific details of this vaccine's latest trial are set to be reported publicly tomorrow. So we'll get a good idea of where it stands.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
Moderna is doing well in the race for a vaccine too right? But I read they had some shady stuff with insider selling for their stocks

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
egyptindependent.com

Egypt reserves 30 million coronavirus vaccine packets from UK: Minister - Egypt Independent

Egypt's Ministry of Health has booked 30 million packets of a potential coronavirus vaccine set to be produced by a UK-based pharmaceutical company, Health Minister Hala Zayed announced Saturday.

Egypt reserved 30 million. Also Russia did over the weekend but numbers are unknown atm

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I think I read that the US is lower on the priority list than EU members or other nations. Which fits since we've been acting like assholes throughought the pandemic

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Moderna is doing well in the race for a vaccine too right? But I read they had some shady stuff with insider selling for their stocks

Moderna is lagging behind the Oxford vaccine. I'm not an expert but reading some articles it sounds like 2-3 months behind.

I guess we'll be using multiple vaccines to get everyone immune as quick as possible?

Anyone know or have an article explaining how fast they can make the vaccine and timeline on getting everyone a dose? It sounds like AstraZeneca is making the Oxford vaccine but also licensing it out to other companies so more can be made sooner.

Is the fact that there may be multiple vaccines going to be confusing?

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Anyone know or have an article explaining how fast they can make the vaccine and timeline on getting everyone a dose? It sounds like AstraZeneca is making the vaccine but also licensing it out to other companies so more can be made sooner.
www.businessinsider.com

The world's largest vaccine maker is producing 40 million units of a coronavirus vaccine on trial in Oxford, without knowing whether it works

The Serum Institute of India produces 1.5 billion vaccine units a year, and it wants to get ahead of demand for a COVID-19 vaccine.
It's currently being mass produced by the Serum Institute of India, which produces 1.5 billion doses of vaccines a year.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Fuck if is announce before elections I have feeling this is gonna help trump a shit ton... double fucking edge sword man!!! Help the public but possibly also helping elect Trump

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Fuck if is announce before elections I have feeling this is gonna help trump a shit ton... double fucking edge sword man!!! Help the public but possibly also helping elect Trump
Anybody that has two brain cells to rub together to recognize that Trump has unnecessarily let far more Americans die through his decision-making isn't going to immediately go back to voting for him because scientists in Oxford bailed him out. For them to make that COVID-based decision, they would have to be smart enough to recognize that his decisions have put us in unnecessary danger. A vaccine developed elsewhere doesn't erase his decision-making that sparked them to change.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Unless the vaccine can somehow resurrect the 200k+ dead Americans that will be dead by the time this is ready, LET ALONE by the time its actually avaliable for the average American to take (which will NOT be September, it may not even be this year) then no, it won't.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think trump is a shit stain like everyone else, but this comment...
This will save life, livehoods and our lifestyle.
Yesterday will always better than tomorrow.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Even with a working vaccine it's gonna be a long ass time before the US is out of the woods. Vaccine distribution, economic damage, long term health issues for those infected all come to mind. The will surely be a global party the day the "Coronavirus vaccine now available" headline comes, but the hangover is going to be a bitch

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Trump isn't getting helped by this, fuck the concern trolling.
He absolutely would; why wouldn't he? You can say things like "anyone intelligent knows the damage he's done", but the poll movement in the past few months hasn't been by anyone intelligent; anyone intelligent would never have approved of him in the first place.

That said, there are a ton of factors required for this to play out well before the election: the production of an actually effective vaccine, the completion of it by September, a timely manufacturing process, a timely delivery to the United States, and effective distribution. And even then, I think it would only help him a few points. It has indeed been a disaster.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It usually takes at least a full year to safely trial a vaccine..this seems really fast.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I want this to be good news, but couldn't there be potential harm in developing a vaccine on such a fast track? Doesn't it usually take years to test for the effects on animals and then humans? Is there perhaps something safer about this one that doesn't require as much testing, or is it just being sped out the door because the need/desire to contain Covid outweighs the risk?

*I'm in no way, shape or form an anti-vaxxer or anything crazy. Just curious for more information.

the vaccine has been in development for a long time. this one is a re-purposed MERS vaccine.