• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's a cost factor for these halls in some way (maybe they don't have to be profitable, but surely somewhat financially successful), and tbh, I would never order a faux burger unless it was lime an Impossible one or something that could taste good :P

If they think ground turkey burgers wouldn't go over very well, no reason to waste time stocking the stuff for them.

turkey burgers are delish -~-

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
green_house_proteins.jpg

EWG’s quick tips for reducing your diet's climate footprint

The way we eat has a direct impact on the climate crisis, and there are steps everyone can take to rethink their diets in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Lamb is awful for the environment. Urukhai are distressingly boujee for their background.
What's misleading about this chart is that lamb in much less consumed verses Pork, Beef and Chicken.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
green_house_proteins.jpg

EWG’s quick tips for reducing your diet's climate footprint

The way we eat has a direct impact on the climate crisis, and there are steps everyone can take to rethink their diets in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Lamb is awful for the environment. Urukhai are distressingly boujee for their background.

I'll give up lamb, and I won't like it but I can probably do without beef, but fuck off trying to take my cheese from me. Over my cold, lifeless, aged white cheddar-engorged body.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Uhh pork? there are probably muslim and international muslim students at oxford, having pork would be extremely insensitive.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
Nice. I hope they next push for reforms to local transport in the campus area. Transport is a ~6x larger slice of the greenhouse gas pie than agriculture is. The school should adopt this policy and next make a goal to allocate funding for providing all students with free public transport in the area and work with the city to increase the amount of routes to the university, then gradually and cautiously start to convert all campus parking spots to EV only and bike rack space.

Edit: I misread the OP at first and am just now realizing this was a student led initiative and wasn't necessarily a decision by the university. I understand it more now, this was an area where they saw they could make change without being tied up by red tape. Good on them and I hope they continue to make progress in this and other areas. I've edited my original post to reflect that

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Nov 18, 2020
I 100% support the pro climate change prerogative but wouldn't it make way more sense to first push a public transport or biking platform? Transport is a ~6x larger slice of the greenhouse gas pie than agriculture is. The school should keep this policy but next make a goal to allocate funding for providing all students with free public transport in the area and increase the amount of routes to the university, then gradually and cautiously convert all parking spots to EV only and bike rack space.

Why not both simultaneously?
Beef and lamb both have unbelievably destructive impacts on the environment. Any gradual steps to reduce consumption on an institutional level is a positive change.

And if people really care about beef and lamb, they'll simply order off-campus. Shifting the average diet away from meat has a large net impact:

8hqibLR.png

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
bit off-topic, but i still find it totally immersion breaking that the uruk-hai would know the word "menu".

They live in a world full of inns, pubs, and restaurants. Menus reasonably exist, and soldiers in barracks are served meals, even orcs, and those meals are going to go by a set menu even in the pits of Isengard.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
A surprising headline, but the reasoning is solid. Good on them. It's always refreshing to see people actually take action at a level that works.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've long since stopped expecting people to turn to vegetarianism on a dime and as a frequent meat eater I'm in a glass house so yeah if you can sub red meat for pork/white meat/fish that'd be swell.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
This. In much the same way that I recognize that if I were vegetarian, I would likely be healthier, pay less, and help prevent emissions, I'm still not one. Meat - and beef in particular - is stupendous.
Is it though?

Seriously I was a heavy meat eater, and then I stopped. Shit was easy. Quitting smoking is harder. Giving up hard drugs is way harder.

Also besides all the downsides that you acknowledged animal agriculture leads to increased incidence of zoonotic disease. It's behind the current worldwide pandemic and likely all future ones as well.

I just don't get the needless murdering of sentient beings for fucking flavour.

Nov 18, 2020
Is it though?

Seriously I was a heavy meat eater, and then I stopped. Shit was easy. Quitting smoking is harder. Giving up hard drugs is way harder.

Also besides all the downsides that you acknowledged animal agriculture leads to increased incidence of zoonotic disease. It's behind the current worldwide pandemic and likely all future ones as well.

Agreed 100%. Eating meat---specially meat with bones on it---feels weirdly barbaric. Like in a civilized society we should be beyond giving animals miserable lives, murdering them, then engorging in their flesh.

Dairy is a lot harder for me because of how much it's integrated into countless products. I also haven't given up fish either, for protein and omega-3. But avoiding meat, especially red meat is real easy. Don't eat the giant hunk of rotting flesh on your plate. Simple as that.

Like this shit is SO WEIRD:
www.youtube.com

CRISPY PORK ROAST - - How To Roast a Piglet / Spanferkel / Lechon

😀 JOIN the PIT MASTER COMMUNITY https://discord.gg/4N6ZHxpVIDEO SPONSORS▶️NAPOLEON GRILLS HOLLAND https://goo.gl/SKp4KN▶️BEEFENSTEAK https://goo.gl/zaDrxWPE...

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Is it though?

Yes it is. I've tried; can't do it. I'm glad you were able to have an easier time.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Yea it's really not hard. Went from eating some animal product with every meal to vegan overnight. The only difficult thing is checking ingredient and there are apps that make that easy also. Slight inconvenience for you isn't worth an animals life.
There's other thing people do to animals for "sensory pleasure" that society considered pretty fucked lol. No different from eating them.

I also haven't given up fish either, for protein and omega-3. But avoiding meat, especially red meat is real easy. Don't eat the giant hunk of rotting flesh on your plate. Simple as that.
Plant protein is easily available, beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, etc. And there are algae based omega-3 supplements.

A little video about dairy, NSFW
www.youtube.com

DAIRY IS SCARY! The industry explained in 5 minutes

Dairy is scary. Please share this video with anyone and everyone who still thinks dairy is just fine!★ Patreon http://patreon.com/erinjanus★ Facebook http://...

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Students feel the campus ban at canteens, libraries and other university buildings"

So do they want to ban other students bringing in their own food too?

Nov 18, 2020
"Students feel the campus ban at canteens, libraries and other university buildings"

So do they want to ban other students bringing in their own food too?

Nah:

"The ban would affect university-operated catering outlets and university-organised events, but not food served in college halls or cafes."

www.oxfordstudent.com

SU motions to ban beef and lamb in University outlets – The Oxford Student

Image description: Slices of meat stacked towards the camera. A motion mandating the SU to lobby for a ban on beef and lamb in University catering services passed yesterday, with 31 votes to 9 and 13 abstentions. The ban would affect university-operated catering outlets and university-organised...

Just the food served in the university dining halls, university-run food stands and at events. It would be literally impossible to enforce any type of ban for outside food. The policy is supposed to be about general meat reduction and removal so Oxford can reduce its climate footprint following many the path of other UK universities, not a draconian ban on all meat present within the walls of the university lol

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is really good news and glad to hear it had a positive impact on reducing emissions. Hope other institutions follow suit after seeing the results.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
What's misleading about this chart is that lamb in much less consumed verses Pork, Beef and Chicken.

There is nothing misleading in that graph. It's not showing the total emissions from each type of meat, it's attempting to tell you how much emissions it causes each time you eat it. We should be trying to limit how much we consume of the products the higher up the scale we go.

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
Good for them, should see more follow suit as well. Having said that this talk of banning ALL animal products like milk, butter and cheese, hell fucking no.

Oct 28, 2017
I would still rather people gave up poultry first. One cow provides about as much flesh as two hundred chickens. If you are switching from beef to chicken you are marginally reducing your environmental impact (switching to plant based would be a much more dramatic change there) but you would also be creating far more animal suffering.

Hopefully Oxford will do all they can to promote plant-based meals and educate their students about the moral as well as environmental impact of their choices.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm vegetarian and would never force it on anyone so at first glance I was skeptical when I saw the thread title but the reasoning is great so good for them.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
That's all Peter Jackson and his writing team's fault, not Tolkien. That line does not appear in the book.

That said, Uruks do mention the word 'picnic', in a conversation overhead by Merry and Pippin. The unreliable narrator concept is relevant here as the chronicle of the War of the Ring is worked on by Frodo and then Sam who would have asked for Merry and Pippin's version of events. The finished chronicle was known as the Red Book of Westmarch, which Tolkien imagined to be a long lost book rediscovered in the Seventh Age that he imagined we're currently in.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shocking to me.
I'm of the opinion that giving people the option while educating them on the impact of their choices is the way to go.