• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BURGERS and lamb chops may soon be off the menu after Oxford students voted to ban meat from the university.

The Oxford Student Union passed the motion banning beef and lamb at a recent meeting.

Students feel the campus ban at canteens, libraries and other university buildings would help the University of Oxford reach its climate change goals.

The motion read: "As the UK's premier university, the nation looks to Oxford for leadership, but Oxford has shown a lack of leadership in addressing climate change.

"The banning of beef and lamb at university-catered events and outlets is a feasible and effective strategy to help the university meet its revised 2030 goal.

"A change at the university level will open the gates for similar change at the college level.

"The university has a commitment to anti-racism, and this requires urgent action to minimise greenhouse emissions."

If the ban goes ahead, the university would be following in the footsteps of the University of Cambridge which removed beef and lamb from its menus in October 2016.

Last year, the university reported the move had cut food-related carbon emissions by a third.

More at:
www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk

Students vote to ban meat from university

BURGERS and lamb chops may soon be off the menu after Oxford students voted to ban meat from the university.

Chop if old

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bit off-topic, but i still find it totally immersion breaking that the uruk-hai would know the word "menu".

Feb 1, 2018
Beef I can understand because it's a carcinogen + production of it is destroying the amazon and makes climate change worse

Is lamb really that bad too?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Amazing. Baby steps of course, but beef is the reason our environment is being destroyed.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
I think the lamb is probably a mixture of reasons. We import a fair amount of lamb from New Zealand which isn't exactly close, it's also less common than the other meats and is probably just easier to get rid of because less people will care.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Good for the environment, good for the animals, good for your health.

Now ban pork and every other red meat too.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Why can't they still have burgers? Just vegetable based protein burgers or even ground turkey, chicken etc.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
It would be nice if we could do that, unfortunately like a lot of things, it's not that fucking simple.
How is it not that simple for a uni to stop stocking animal products?

And to preempt any accusations that vegan is so expensive I became one when I was a poor uni student with 60% of my income just going to rent.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why not pork too? I understand pig raising isn't as bad as cattle, but isn't it up there as well?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
green_house_proteins.jpg

EWG’s quick tips for reducing your diet's climate footprint

The way we eat has a direct impact on the climate crisis, and there are steps everyone can take to rethink their diets in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Lamb is awful for the environment. Urukhai are distressingly boujee for their background.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Oof if I was a student there I would not be happy about that.
Same. Had a high school friend go there for undergrad and she raved about a dining hall with 3 course meals. I could compromise on the lamb, but beef? No steaks? Nah, miss me with that. I really gotta wonder what the student union is and how voting works there. Oxford has what like 20000 students? I doubt they all agreed to this.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Same. Had a high school friend go there for undergrad and she raved about a dining hall with 3 course meals. I could compromise on the lamb, but beef? No steaks? Nah, miss me with that. I really gotta wonder what the student union is and how voting works there. Oxford has what like 20000 students? I doubt they all agreed to this.

It was banned in Cambridge 4 years ago, all is ok.

People still can have 3 course meals.

green_house_proteins.jpg

EWG’s quick tips for reducing your diet's climate footprint

The way we eat has a direct impact on the climate crisis, and there are steps everyone can take to rethink their diets in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Lamb is awful for the environment. Urukhai are distressingly boujee for their background.

Wow, lamb is much more impactful than I thought.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I remember our local meat industry (nz) having a big old cry about the introduction of meat alternatives being served on airlines. Its a large part of our exports, but there has to be a way to repurpose some of these farm lands.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand "banning from the menus". Do those universities have their own university-owned restaurants or something? Because all the campuses I've seen and been to only have eateries opened by small business owners or chains.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It was banned in Cambridge 4 years ago, all is ok.

People still can have 3 course meals.
I guess you could eat turkey or duck and the like instead of beef.
I don't understand "banning from the menus". Do those universities have their own university-owned restaurants or something? Because all the campuses I've seen and been to only have eateries opened by small business owners or chains.
Most universities at least in the US have chains on campus but they also have dining halls that are run by the school through third parties and thus those menus can be controlled.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't they still have burgers? Just vegetable based protein burgers or even ground turkey, chicken etc.

I'm sure there's a cost factor for these halls in some way (maybe they don't have to be profitable, but surely somewhat financially successful), and tbh, I would never order a faux burger unless it was lime an Impossible one or something that could taste good :P

If they think ground turkey burgers wouldn't go over very well, no reason to waste time stocking the stuff for them.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? You never heard of meal plan? most universities/colleges have them, and yes they have their own cafeteria.
Also, people, students wants get rid of the meat from their meal plan menu, I'm pretty sure if you are that desperate for a piece of beef, you can buy it in supermarket or something. Especially if you already study in Oxford.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could eat turkey or duck and the like instead of beef.

Most universities at least in the US have chains on campus but they also have dining halls that are run by the school through third parties and thus those menus can be controlled.
In that sense yeah, I understand.
Huh? You never heard of meal plan? most universities/colleges have them, and yes they have their own cafeteria.
Also, people, students wants get rid of the meat from their meal plan menu, I'm pretty sure if you are that desperate for a piece of beef, you can buy it in supermarket or something. Especially if you already study in Oxford.
I don't think meal plans were a thing during my time, at least not where I went anyway. I'm in Canada. I also didn't live in dorms.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018