• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've got a big problem with activity cards. OK, they're awesome in AstroBot, it's like the gold standard so far. In Miles Morales, though... I think that using activity cards defaults out some important settings I've configured. Particularly, difficulty (I play at hardest difficulty, but it got reset to standard), and performance (switches to fidelity every time I use an activity card). And I really don't like that. Devs all gotta get on the same page about how to use activity cards before I really see them as something I desire enough to choose a PS5 version for
Luckily the PS5 is like a week old. I do think there's some weird downplaying of the Activity cards in here, as with proper support they can really benefit trophy hunting, offline versus play, skipping to the specific mode you want to play etc...

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Haven't thought too much about cross platform games. Im in the hole, right now and between Xbox gamepass, ps plus collection and demon souls, I'm good till next Christmas.

Only cross platform game I own right now is call of duty on PS5.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I had Xbox, Gamepass will always be top priority

The overwhelming majority of multi-platform games do not appear on Game Pass (especially ones I'm interested in buying), so that's kind of a pointless rebuttal to the question the OP posed.

For example, in terms of multi-platform games, the one's I've bought or will be buying in the coming months are Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Dirt 5, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Cyberpunk 2077, Call of Duty Cold War, Hogwarts Legacy and Gotham Knights, now how many of them will be on Game Pass at launch? The answer is most probably none.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I really dislike the activity cards, they just seem too...busy. We'll see where they get. The post about it changing options though is definitely not good. It wouldn't make me get multiplatforms on PS5, neither will the controller

HOWEVER, if someone could tell me how to get the console to update the fucking controller that would be great

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, owning both I can see myself making decisions based on hdd space for the time being lol given you can't move ps5 games over to an external.

I think both controllers are good, the xbox controller is basically just the last one and that's fine, the dualsense I have things I like and dislike about it so I don't really feel like controller is going to be a big factor here.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The overwhelming majority of multi-platform games do not appear on Game Pass (especially ones I'm interested in buying), so that's kind of a pointless rebuttal to the question the OP posed.

For example, in terms of multi-platform games, the games I've bought or will be buying in the coming months are Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Dirt 5, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Cyberpunk 2077, Call of Duty Cold War, Hogwarts Legacy and Gotham Knights, now how many of them will be on Game Pass at launch? Answer is most probably none.
Having had Game Pass on PC I don't think the service will be for me till the id, Arkane, and decent looking Bethesda games start coming to fruition from the acquisition. I want to be pleasantly surprised by the studios they already had/have but the space Skyrim game for way less than $60 might be when I get my sub back.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
On launch I bought Valhalla and Yakuza on Xbox, but after playing around on the PS5 (and seeing they run just as good) I returned them both for the PS5 version because of DS. Love the card system with pic-pic and game hints as well.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
I was excited for the new call of duty on PS5 because of dual sense, but I hear the game itself isn't very good.

I'm going on a case by case basis. If it's not a title I'm going to game share with a buddy on Xbox then I'll get it on PS5. That is of course, if the dual sense is used well. Otherwise I might just skip it all together.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im sticking to playing my multiplats on series x, but there are exceptions, such as jrpgs, but not necessarily all japanese games. While i may stick to playing final fantasy and kingdom hearts, and nier on playstation 5, as i did for 4 and 3 before it, ive played series such as the dark souls games and resident evil predominately on xbox, so ill stick with xbox for those as well.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I got my PS5 yesterday and have been playing a bunch of Astro's Playroom and while the system itself is a breeze of fresh air it's the controller that really felt like a big jump to me.

Will definitely be getting third party games for the PS5 as long as those games have good support for the Dualsense. Game performance seems to be fine regardless of where you play.

Souplex

Oct 27, 2017
MI
So far no. Have not experienced anything on the dualsense outside of Astro that would drive me to prioritize it. I also find cards more frustrating than helpful because it starts on those every time you open the menu and blocks the entire screen of what's happening. I'd much rather turn them off completely.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Let's wait and see if in one year, any multiplatform game uses those features on PS5.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Honestly, I'm already used to the controller. It's just become another gimmick to me. And the cards I've not even used. I will buy the best version of the game.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Only had my PS5 since yesterday but had my XSX since last week.

The DualSense is great and genuinely mind-blowing in Astro-Bot, love pulling those ropes and all the neat little touches. But playing Spider-Man today and it's just a bit.. too much.. you know? With the haptics. Like I don't need to feel every little thing, it's just getting a bit annoying, and most games just don't need all that, it becomes distracting rather than immersive. So devs need to work on getting the balance right.

That said, the adaptive triggers are really cool and it'll be really interesting how they get used for FPS games, looking forward to that.

But where the DS really falls down is the D-pad which is a spongey, mushy mess and also requires a little too much force to press. Really not good for platformers, compared to the XSX controller which has the possibly the noisiest D-Pad of all time, but my word is it perfect from a control point of view.

As for Activity Cards, I couldn't be less interested and it's annoying that they're the first thing that appears when you press the PS button during a game.

I don't think any of this stuff will push me to buy for one platform or another though. Performance/graphics will always be priority, or VRR if the game has dips. My XSX is way quieter than my PS5 so that would be my preference all things equal too but I think I may have a dodgy PS5 given other's are silent.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The activity cards are kind of neat, so maybe. Controllers I can go either way. I like both and don't care for the gimmicks on the DualSense so that's less of an issue.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
I have both consoles last gen and usually bought those games on PC except the sports games always on PS4 but this gen DualSense is probably make me buy most of the games for PS5

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I was shocked by how good the controller is, if a game uses it right and is build for it like Astrobot, literally mind blowing, but I'll still say no.
Maybe for some extreme exceptions, but my main library stays on the system with VRR, Smart Delivery (which is a complete mess on how this gets handled on PS5 overall), Quick Resume (Which is also a mind blowing feature. Yes the activity cards, when correctly implemented, can be a very good alternative, but they seem to be wonky too, started a Spider-Man mission a few minutes ago with them and it skipped the main menu, but it still showed me the Sony and Insomniac logo for some reason before booting into the mission), auto HDR (which I like way more over there since this feature is actually supervised on Xbox and not just runs because the dashboard runs in it, it actually looks like it's not even really working on PS5, BC games run in HDR, but they don't look like they are using it right with whites being actually popping), the absolute dead silent console itself without having a constant coil whine problem or a jet engine disc drive and a personal favorite, how this console handles screenshots.
Native PNG, auto uploaded to the Microsoft server and send to my phone. I still have to use USB sticks on PS5 to get them off there and it seems like to a small degree the console doesn't even give you the native file and instead always reduces the quality a tiny bit while copying them over. It kinda sucks, to be honest.

But, the controller is f'n mind blowing and it will be super hard to not buy the one or other game for it if it has a really good implementation.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Activity card are useless to me. I feel like dualsense is a bit blown out of proportion. It is a kool controller, but I'd still rather play on PC with just a standard xbox controller.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think so, but I also wouldn't mind having full DS support on PC. I mainly play on PC and consoles, so having dualsense support on PC would be nice. Dirt 5 is fantastic with DS, I can't imagine playing another racing game without it.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Don't have a PS5 yet but intention is to stick to multiplats on the XSX this gen.

I suspect multiplats will start to perform better on Xbox as the gen goes on. I vastly prefer the Xbox controller layout and can't stand the Playstations symmetrical stick layout, which is more important to me than any novelty features. I also think it'll work out better in the long term as MS has shown they treat BC (and BC enhancements) more importantly than Sony do .

Thats without mentioning QoL improvements, such as quick resume (which is awesome)

Oct 30, 2017
No. I already have the rumble turned off completely after one day and never cared about trophies.

I still vastly prefer the Xbox controller for anything that requires aiming/the triggers, so I'll decide based on that and which version is better.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nah. I really like the Dualsense but all the new features are just gimmicks to me plus I still prefer the Xbox controller and I still have yet to use an activity card on my PS5.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Not for me

I'm still not a fan of the back buttons R1 L1 R2 L2

Xbox has taken their controller and made it more compact and more comfortable in the hand. I'm still getting used to the dual sense

I'll always go where performance is at. And Microsoft are way better with backwards compatibility so that too.

a game bought today for Xbox has a decent chance to be playable on Xbox generations from now. PlayStation is questionable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So far activity cards have been a real dumb feature and completely pointless for me. The controller is amazing but it remains to be seen how well third parties use it. My feelings on the dual sense are about as hot and cold as can be. I think the controller is uncomfortable and not that good most of the time; however, when the haptics are doing their thing it feels amazing. It's a weird duality of existence.

I still think the dual shock 3 is the best controller Sony has made.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even play CoD but I bought it for the DualSense support, which is awesome, and 120hz mode. It's definitely a huge deal for shooters.

Haven't used a single activity card, though. While there's some cool functionality there, most of it is clearly not for me.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If the game has good DualSense support, yes. The DualSense is becoming one of my favourite controllers ever.

paTherion

Jul 11, 2020
Love dualsense. Fist moments with Astro yesterday was magical. But multiplats? Naaah. I keep all of those either on pc or xsx.

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
Not for me. My son and I both have Xboxes and share a library. I have the PS5 for the exclusives mainly. I might buy a cross platform game on the PS5 if it looks and plays better.

May 25, 2019
London
Activity Cards don't really work for me. It's too hard to discern what is an "activity" to jump to and what is a trophy at first glance in a few games I can play. They're all the same size and color, which means I have to read each one, which kind of defeats its purpose of being a way to quickly move around a game.

They could improve this in a few ways - distinguish activity cards from other ones, have there be top-level category cards for Activities, Trophies, etc. that you then drill down into (this would also clean up what I think is a rather messy display of cards everywhere and give quicker access to trophies) or let you turn on/off what you want to see when you hit the PS button. All easily fixed with software updates but as it stands, I feel like it's more annoying than useful.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Can someone explain to me the difference between Activity Cards and the thing on XBox that shows 'current activites' where friends are playing games/in a party, and you can join them from that? Are ACs SP-focused?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wasn't sold on dual sense until I tried it but god that controller is just next level. My series x just feels so plain Jane in comparison.

Microsoft needs to get some tech in the controller, all the little things about the dual sense just make me like the ps5 more for multiplatform games.

Activity cards is OK I guess nothing I'd consider when making a purchase.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS3 mostly. Bought quite a few multis on PS3 which are now stuck there forever (as well as first party obviously).

And honestly, I'm not certain what their BC commitment will be going forward. It's not worth the risk for me.

Yea, that's not happening again. This isn't some exotic architecture that's a nightmare to develop for, they went x86 the last two times for a reason.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably be leaning towards Playstation anyway, but the fact that i'm already stumbled by play xbox one versions of games that use touchpad on ps4 means i'll probably get multiplats on PS5.

Unless storage on PS5 remains a headache.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I have 150 games digitally on the PS ecosystem already. Not sure how many are PSN games and how many are purchases, but I'm not moving, inertia and all that.

Everything else is just a bonus - Dualsense, activity cards, game hints, better performance on third party titles, PS Plus Collection (20+ premium PS4 games right off the bat), picture in picture. I'll take it.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain to me the difference between Activity Cards and the thing on XBox that shows 'current activites' where friends are playing games/in a party, and you can join them from that? Are ACs SP-focused?

They're both. Similar to what you've described but with far broader application. For example, you can open up your activity cards, and load straight into a specific part of a specific game to finish a mission you haven't finished, or pick up some collectibles you missed.

Activity cards often tell you the completion % of a certain area, and are ordered in a way that incomplete area cards show first. For example I'm currently using them for Astro, as it's quicker using the Activity cards than going through the levels in the game menu and scrolling through to see what I may or may not have missed. The cards load Astro levels in under 5 seconds too.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. The Dualsense is cool but the new features are more novel than game changing for me. The cards affect me even less.

The strong BC support and game pass are the biggest things keeping me on the Xbox more often.