• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
www.pcgamer.com

Overwatch's new Mei skin draws criticism for cultural appropriation

The MM-Mei skin has the Chinese hero sporting a Black hairstyle.

DVkQtqDicMYh7oRwoemat4-970-80.jpg.webp

Overwatch has unveiled a new legendary skin for Mei, and that hairstyle ain't it.

The MMA-inspired skin MM-Mei appeared on the Overwatch League store yesterday, sporting a fighter's robe, gloves, and championship belt. But it also gives Mei—a Chinese hero—cornrows, a traditionally Black hairstyle.

The inspiration for the hairstyle appears to have come from Zhang Weili, a Chinese MMA fighter who wears her hair in a similar style. Tight braids are common amongst MMA fighters with longer hair, but cornrows are typically not worn by fighters who are not Black.

Sep 19, 2020
...I mean if it's clearly based on an actual MMA fighter, I think the problem doesn't exactly lay with Overwatch on this one but goes further up the ladder.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Er... were the braids too high fidelity for them to model or somethin?

AcornShaka

Banned
Feb 9, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns of cultural appropriation, account in junior phase
The inspiration for the hairstyle appears to have come from Zhang Weili, a Chinese MMA fighter who wears her hair in a similar style.

So basically the issue isn't overwatch, but people are angry because this Chinese fighter wears her hair a certain way?

I'm sorry, but I don't think hairstyle should be considered any kind of cultural appropriation, I've known people of all races that wear their hairstyle in all sorts of ways. This just seems ridiculous.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
" but cornrows are typically not worn by fighters who are not Black. "

That's not true at all. It's a pretty common hairstyle for fighters with longhair in general in MMA. I know Urijah Faber use to wear it a lot.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My wife brought this up and actually found the source of the braids. We still figured it might raise eyebrows for people who didn't know where the style came from, though. I feel like an official communication about the inspiration would clear this up.

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I am pleasantly surprised that every response to this so far in this thread has been rational.
That hair style is almost a requirement by female MMA fighters

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i saw this pic from the neck up a while ago and was like wtf

but eh

maxresdefault.jpg

if it a functional hairstyle for boxing/MMA and she's supposed to be based on this one specifically... then whatever

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Look it up. Fighters wear their hair like that so it doesn't accidentally get ripped out. So fucking typical.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Literally nothing. Thats the way she has her hair in fights which is perfectly okay and thats what they went with for this Mei skin. That being said it might just be the quality of that screenshot but the hair on that skin looks sooooo bad.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I actually wouldn't mind more ethnicities rocking the cornrows because that would help make them more mainstream. I mean, it's sad that that's what it would take but we live in a sad world.

Oct 27, 2017
The article seems desperate to call this cultural appropriation right after telling you it's literally based on a Chinese fighter with the same hair

Deleted member 14192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): dismissive driveby
Unless I'm missing something, the article doesn't actually cite any of the supposed fan criticism, i.e., from who, from where, saying what, etc. Sloppy "article".
It's the current news meta, find a couple of random users on twitter that disagree with something and write a quick article with some eye catching title for easy clicks.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
that stuff was on twitter a few days ago for sure

Oh yeah, I believe someone out there has said something and maybe there were some Twitter threads and so on, but this piece could have taken ten extra minutes to lay out the response. Like...how extensive is the response here, what exactly have people said, who said it, etc. It's just really lazy and empty "reporting".

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
A lot of non Black women are adopting cornrows and other styles you would normally see on Black people. It is definitely appropriation, but it has become such a norm in the fight world, especially amongst popular Asian fighters that it would be an uphill battle to put an end to it.

That being said, it looks so terrible on Mei. Yikes

Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah, I believe someone out there has said something and maybe there were some Twitter threads and so on, but this piece could have taken ten extra minutes to lay out the response. Like...how extensive is the response here, what exactly have people said, who said it, etc. It's just really lazy and empty "reporting".

It's pretty lucrative to search for keywords on Twitter, pick out a handful of Tweets, and write an article saying "People are saying ____ about game today". It isn't particularly insightful reporting but I guess it meets quotas for them.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around cultural appropriation
No hairstyle belongs to any one race or culture. Period.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Is using hairstyles that are popular with different cultures looked down upon? I honestly didn't know this. I'm not sure why it's bad unless the said hairstyles have a history of being used as a harmful stereotype. I guess I'm pretty ignorant on this subject so I'd like to know about it.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Female MMA fighters of all races do this a lot so their hair won't get ripped out.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
*Editing my comment after reading the thread more and thinking about my biases. Nah this isn't ok and people are right to be upset about this.

Last edited:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I like how they say "appears" to have come from Zhang Weili when it takes about 2 seconds on google to find out.

Feb 11, 2019
how else are you going to keep long hair in an MMA match? This isn't "appropriation" it's "your hair will definitely get ripped off if you don't braid it"

Apr 12, 2021
How many female MMA fighters have gone into a ring/octagon with straightened hair, curls or styled in a way which you would see on the red carpet?

They braid, plat, or get cornrows so it's not so easy for their hair to get yanked out or make it difficult to see their opponent during a fight.

Even male MMA fighters do it for one of many reasons and I am certain no female or male MMA fighter does it to appropriate.

Does overwatch have any Black women characters?
I am not familiar with Overwatch, but the article says no.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

Apex had Crypto and Mirage skins that came with black hairstyles, which I thought looked tacky on them, but you didn't see a lot of people mad about it cuz that game launched with 2 playable black women.
Does overwatch have any Black women characters?
None. People have complained about that to Blizzard for 5 years.