• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FamousLastX

Oct 25, 2017
I had a Mystery Heroes game recently where the enemy attack team had like 5 tanks with barriers on the payload.

I was like "wtf are we supposed to do?" We break 2 barriers and there is still 3 more to get rid of, which give enough time for the others to recharge.

I wish duplicates wasn't a thing in Mystery Heroes. Or at least limit the number of tanks or guarantee at least 1 healer at all time to balance things a bit.

But... considering the bug that's been going on for weeks where you don't always switch heroes when dying, I'm guessing Mystery Heroes is very low on their list of priorities.
Really wish they would do something to address this too. Love to play a few games of this to get warmed up and destress but when you get screwed going against a comp like that there just isn't much fun to be had unfortunately.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Ah yes, the good old get graved into grav combo. Classic Overwatch. The annoying part is the only reason we lost that match against that masters main tank is because our Mercy DC'd on second round defense when we were about to full hold :(

Playing against Echo/Symm is soooooooooooooooo annoyiiiiiiiing. There's a beam in my face, there's a beam up my ass, now there's two Reins looking to shatter me, Oh shit here comes the double grav AGAIN, ah well I shattered Sym's wall. Fuuuck maaan.

I am soooooooooo bad at blocking shatters god damn

Sometimes it's really easy to know when a Rein is gonna shatter. Some quick pointers to try and help you in a Rein vs Rein scenario:

• Good Reins will look to shatter you when they're graved, so try and bait it out by swinging and putting your shield up until you get close enough to the point where your pin beats the shatter animation. You might end up cancelling it
  • During a firestrike, you can get shattered, so if you have ult and you're just looking for poke damage avoid using it unless someone on the enemy team is veryy low and wanna go for a shot. Depending on the situation even if you get shattered but get the kill it might not matter, especially with the nerf
  • Sometimes a Rein will go for a crazy pin on your backline, usually he has shatter and will look to get your team while your blocking his frontline. Turn around and counterpin, as fast as you can in case you can't outright catch him the first time. You can try and position yourself behind your team but that's sort of a catch 22 scenario and you're likely to die anyways, so might as well go all in. At least that's what I do, lmao.
  • Manage your shield, never let it break as it takes forever to replinish before you can get it back up (needs to be at 500). Corner peek and back off when needed, as a rule of thumb never hold places where you can't immediatly use a wall for cover, as you're just asking to get your team wrecked.
  • If the other Rein dies and the teamfight is prolonging, ALWAYS be aware that he'll come back looking to get a sneaky shatter in. I have a nice clip of this happening in a game of 2CP. We're trying to cap Anubis B and at a certain point I just look at both entrances trying to catch him. Sure enough, he goes for it, I block it, he gets graved, and we cap.
Sometimes it doesn't really matter what you do or how perfect you play. Sometimes you're just stuck on Eichenwalde A with a Roadhog against double shield Junk-Torb while you ponder if it's even worth playing this game anymore :)

This is totally watchcloakedsombradie subreddit material lmao. Alpha as fuck.

I also play @110 ping. I once dropped from Masters to Plat.

That drop made me humble and I learned so much from my mistakes (stubbornness and shitty habits for the most part) and after that I can solo carry myself to diamond at least. There will be leavers and dps smurfs but chances it will even out and you will reach your average.

Know your mistakes and weaknesses and you will reach your goal. Finding one main healer and one main tank main to queue up with can be gamechanger too. Highly recommended.

Yeah, something similar happened to me. During 2018 I didn't play as much and when I placed I was mid gold after being a plat scrub that just filled. I got really annoyed, I didn't enjoy the game flexing, blaming shit players for being stuck in gold. When goats hit and saw the shit Zarya could pull I was like, yeah, I'm gonna be an offtank player (of course I never got to play that much 3-3), and I decided to grind it out and commit, learn from how I played (from positioning, to target selection, cooldown managment, and learning new heroes) and what could I do to skew things in my favor when we had an under perfoming teammate.

Eventually, I got back to play, took months but hit Diamond, learned how to fill as main tank (Orisa, Winston, Rein) to add to my offtank pool (Sigma, Zarya, Hog, D.Va but I'm shit at her now lol), and now I can confidently just ping pong from low low plat to Diamond almost at will.

I don't know if ill ever get into the mindset of grinding to masters, maybe beyong. I know I can, but the commitment might seem too much at a point where there's a bunch more games I wanna try out.

Last edited:

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i've been on quite the losing streak trying to play rein as much as possible, winning just enough to keep me from dropping to gold, but i know for a fact it's all on me. i've pretty much stopped blaming my teammates for some time, and it's stopped me from getting angry about a video game.

however, it has not been so well on my confidence, which i feel like it plays so much into how well i can perform. when i know i can hang in mid diamond and then i start making dumb mistakes, i end up either overthinking things and being hesitant or trying to do everything for the team when i know it's not my job. and then i just start getting outplayed by other reins even when i know what they'll be doing. like everything strokes posted up there about shatters, i already know. i know when the enemy rein has shatter and is going to use it. i see it coming a mile away. but lately, i've been freezing up and doing dumb shit i know i shouldn't be doing, and it almost always results in me and my team getting shattered then wiped.

so it's been this downward spiral where I'm almost in gold... where enemy reins are back to being fairly simple to manage. don't wanna jinx it, but hey, 4-match winning streak.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's really easy to know when a Rein is gonna shatter. Some quick pointers to try and help you in a Rein vs Rein scenario:

Thanks for the tips particularly the pin one, I find this situation happens a lot when I miss the counter and my response is almost always to turn and shield but at that point it's meaningless.

I get too caught up in the "don't telegraph you have shatter" aspect but you're right on being more conservative with firestrike/hammer swings when you have it. End of the day the other Rein/team can do the mental math to figure out where I'm at. I definitely get shattered when I have it getting caught out trying to pretend I don't.

I blocked one for the first time in weeks yesterday tho and it felt so good 😭

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
i've been on quite the losing streak trying to play rein as much as possible, winning just enough to keep me from dropping to gold, but i know for a fact it's all on me. i've pretty much stopped blaming my teammates for some time, and it's stopped me from getting angry about a video game.

however, it has not been so well on my confidence, which i feel like it plays so much into how well i can perform. when i know i can hang in mid diamond and then i start making dumb mistakes, i end up either overthinking things and being hesitant or trying to do everything for the team when i know it's not my job. and then i just start getting outplayed by other reins even when i know what they'll be doing. like everything strokes posted up there about shatters, i already know. i know when the enemy rein has shatter and is going to use it. i see it coming a mile away. but lately, i've been freezing up and doing dumb shit i know i shouldn't be doing, and it almost always results in me and my team getting shattered then wiped.

so it's been this downward spiral where I'm almost in gold... where enemy reins are back to being fairly simple to manage. don't wanna jinx it, but hey, 4-match winning streak.
Some advice I can give you as someone who had been grinding ferosiously this season and was stuck in the same spot until recently: play less, learn more. You say you aren't confident, so educate yourself by watching VODs, tips and tricks and even review your own footage. Knowledge is ammunition in this game, so play smart not hard and you will climb again.

Also another thing that is said to death and is harder said than done, don't play to just climb, play to get better. If you go in with that mentality, you will let go of what's holding you back from doing stuff that is more risky but can get you a win.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Some advice I can give you as someone who had been grinding ferosiously this season and was stuck in the same spot until recently: play less, learn more. You say you aren't confident, so educate yourself by watching VODs, tips and tricks and even review your own footage. Knowledge is ammunition in this game, so play smart not hard and you will climb again.

Also another thing that is said to death and is harder said than done, don't play to just climb, play to get better. If you go in with that mentality, you will let go of what's holding you back from doing stuff that is more risky but can get you a win.

i've watched a ton of videos, i've watched plenty of streamers, i know the "tips and tricks", i know about proper positioning, i know the optimal team comps, i try to keep track of cooldowns, i know about baiting shatters, all that shit. i've executed on them multiple times to get up to mid diamond. i've done this before. it's when i get on a losing streak that "tilts" me into not doing what i know i should be doing, but instead of being the usual kind of tilt where a player gets angry, i just think "i'm gonna fuck this up" and then i do, and it's this weird self-validation spiral.

i don't necessarily think it's a lack of information, because unlike a lot of people who do nothing but complain about this hero being broken or that ability being broken or because "i keep getting bad teammates", i am fully aware that when i'm on a losing streak, the one common thing about all those matches is me not playing well or screwing up during a key moment in a match. i have the information, but i get into a bad headspace that ends up with me fucking up the execution.

...but then i get a couple of wins back, and i feel that confidence returning, and that turns into a winning streak. so yeah, i get these wild swings in sr range season to season where i get up to mid diamond then fall down to low plat. it's all very streaky with me.

of course, i'm not saying i already know everything and that i should stop learning. the one thing that i don't do is review my own games, because there's this weird mental barrier that i have where i think "hey why spend time watching my own games when i could just play!?!?!". i'm sure it'll be even more obvious where i make mistakes and the series of decisions i made prior to the crucial one that costs me a match!

but if i'm going to be completely honest, i don't really see myself breaking through my personal glass ceiling of mid diamond, at least on tank. i don't have the consistency in execution, i don't have the mental bandwidth to be constantly thinking beyond the current fight, and i certainly don't have the mechanical skill and reaction time necessary to climb higher. i also can't be bothered nowadays to communicate with the team or to even duo queue with anyone!

i've been playing since the game came out, and even back in the early days of ladder, i was high plat, low diamond. i'm sure parts of the playerbase have also gotten better as much as i have since then, because i'm very confident that 2020 me would school 2016 me, but i haven't really been able to outpace the progress in skill of the entire playerbase.

and now that i've written all that, i feel like queueing up again because i am a masochist

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Any Echo mains that stream that you all would recommend?

Preferably a non-poggers twitch kid, but I'll take what I can get.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I haven't been watching any twitch streams lately but I checked in on Fareeha's stream earlier and she was playing Tracer and Ashe instead

I wonder how she feels about Echo now that the character's been in the game for a while

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
One trophy away from getting the Platinum. Just need Bastion's Charge! Gotten many triple kills so just a matter of time. I'm glad I went for this because its forced me to get good with characters I was never good with before like McCree and Hanzo.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
One trophy away from getting the Platinum. Just need Bastion's Charge! Gotten many triple kills so just a matter of time. I'm glad I went for this because its forced me to get good with characters I was never good with before like McCree and Hanzo.
I will forever be without Floor is Lava and Rapid Discord.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
This is probably a joke this is hidden in part of the video, Potential OWL MVP Skin for Zarya

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
sprt3nlwak451.png

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Sinatraa doesn't deserve his MVP skin, but man is it awkward with how he left OWL mid season.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Any Echo mains that stream that you all would recommend?

Preferably a non-poggers twitch kid, but I'll take what I can get.

You won't find one since she's a character that requires a pocket to work on ladder at GM. Scan through pro DPS players when they're on and every now and then you'll catch an Echo match. Surefour, Agilities, KSF, Chipsa, Stratus play her occasionally.

Grayson

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
You won't find one since she's a character that requires a pocket to work on ladder at GM. Scan through pro DPS players when they're on and every now and then you'll catch an Echo match. Surefour, Agilities, KSF, Chipsa, Stratus play her occasionally.
I don't buy into any of that as people say Sombra isn't viable in GM and Fitzyhere regularly makes top 50. Never believe OWL is the only way to play.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else read the book?

You guys should read the book.

51tfeYIXwsL.jpg

Because Efi has legit become the most well-developed and lovable Overwatch character by far. Orisa is absolutely hilarious as well, once she's online. Further bonus points for the author confirming pretty much every single Lucio headcanon I had.

READ IT.

Y'all in quarantine you ain't got nothin' else to do.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, it's out already?

I told you, Nicky Drayden is THE SHIT. Check out her other work too.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, it's out already?

I told you, Nicky Drayden is THE SHIT. Check out her other work too.
Lol yes. I bought it a few days ago on Google Play and breezed through it. Makes me want to get back on my own novel!

And definitely I'll check out her other stuff!

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

51tfeYIXwsL.jpg

Because Efi has legit become the most well-developed and lovable Overwatch character by far. Orisa is absolutely hilarious as well, once she's online. Further bonus points for the author confirming pretty much every single Lucio headcanon I had.

READ IT.

Shit, I was totally invested in checking this out and forgot it was being released like, two weeks after its announcement

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

51tfeYIXwsL.jpg

READ IT.

This is freaking adorable and impressively dark, i'm on ch 6 already and this is my first eBook llol

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is freaking adorable and impressively dark, i'm on ch 6 already and this is my first eBook llol
Ah, so you've already read:

Doomfist fucking up the airport, which A.) I'm assuming is the same airport attack depicted in the game, and B.) is absolutely heartbreaking. I was rooting for those kids to get to Rio lmao.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, so you've already read:

Doomfist fucking up the airport, which A.) I'm assuming is the same airport attack depicted in the game, and B.) is absolutely heartbreaking. I was rooting for those kids to get to Rio lmao.
yeah i wasn't expecting PTSD's attacks and Efi's memories of the second DF...

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i wasn't expecting PTSD's attacks and Efi's memories of the second DF...

It brings home the fact that that dude with the goofy dance constantly spamming 'AND DEY SAY" is actually a legit terrorist responsible for untold amounts of destruction and death.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
6v6 Elimination is a lot of fun. I only wish role lock applied to it but I understand it would fuck up queue times.

Still though it's nice to just get straight to the point of the game(teamfights).

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum Trophy obtained! only took about 520 Hours over 4 years...

Congrats!! I finally got it about two days ago thanks in part when you replied to one of my messages mentioning that trophies were obtainable in Quickplay Classic. I was finally able to reliably attempt all the DPS ones missing. Good to be a part of the 0.2% :p

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats!! I finally got it about two days ago thanks in part when you replied to one of my messages mentioning that trophies were obtainable in Quickplay Classic. I was finally able to reliably attempt all the DPS ones missing. Good to be a part of the 0.2% :p
Awesome congrats! Glad i could help! I assumed you couldn't get trophies in quickplay classic because it was in the arcade but thanks to getting lucky with a 4K D.Va Ult in QP Classic i learned otherwise lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Guys I bought myself a gaming laptop to be able to play some of the more competitive PC games on there, and leave my AAAs and whatnot on console.

Has anyone here migrated from console to PC in OW? I have a general understanding of how PC gaming and aiming works but I will essentially be starting from scratch as a "new PC gamer". If anyone who used to play OW on console and then migrated to PC has some tips, those would be welcome! I realize being mid-high Gold on PS4 will probably mean I'm way lower on PC lol.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I bought myself a gaming laptop to be able to play some of the more competitive PC games on there, and leave my AAAs and whatnot on console.

Has anyone here migrated from console to PC in OW? I have a general understanding of how PC gaming and aiming works but I will essentially be starting from scratch as a "new PC gamer". If anyone who used to play OW on console and then migrated to PC has some tips, those would be welcome! I realize being mid-high Gold on PS4 will probably mean I'm way lower on PC lol.
You can add me on Battle.net. I don't play very often these days, what with Valorant and Destiny 2, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be here for OW2. Send me a PM

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017

for overwatch PC aiming, you want to figure out your eDPI.

take your mouse current DPI on desktop (for example 800 dpi) then multiple it by your ingame sensitivity (for example 6), your eDPI will be 4800.

4800 seems to be the average eDPI pro players like to use, a bit higher for tank (around 6400). start practicing and build up your muscle memory. during countdown for the game to start, i like to picking a marking on the wall, then flick to it to practice my muscle/aim memory.

also put everything on low :) a higher refresh monitor is really beneficial too, but you'll be OK without one.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I did the same. Definitely a learning curve involved. Getting the right DPI, mouse, and mouse pad size were key for me. The mouse doesn't have to be some RGB glowing gamer shit but something above a two button mouse I think is handy - I bind mic toggle and crouch on the mouse as well. Try to experiment with aim styles, if you prefer to aim from wrist movements or from moving your arm more. And try to figure out what's a comfortable movement area for your mouse. My pad is about 35cmX30cm. I didn't like the smaller pads that you typically see used in an office or something. This all relates back to sensitivity. Keep playing with it, keep different ones for different characters if need be. Finding what feels right takes time, but now I much prefer playing OW on PC over console.

Last edited:

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

Sensitivity is the biggest starting point, adjust it until you feel comfortable with it. Shift and Ctrl keys are also things you have to get use to but they come with time.

You'll probably end up around the same rank. Overwatch is more about game sense then mechanical ability.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

TYzDpfv.jpg

-Priority Queues after a leaver are HERE!!
-Open Queue is back in Arcade, remember next month it becomes permanent

2019 OVERWATCH LEAGUE MVP SKIN: ALIEN ZARYA
Celebrate the 2019 Overwatch League MVP with the Alien Zarya skin! This skin is a unique combination of influences. Her extraterrestrial form features nodes that respond to Zarya's Particle Cannon charge and facial tentacles that glow in her signature pink, while her sleek suiting is inspired by retro fashion. Learn more about the skin and the League within the Overwatch League menu!

GENERAL UPDATES

New Feature: Priority Requeue for Collapsed Games

If a competitive game collapses due to a player leaving early, you are now granted a priority requeue the next time you queue to play. You will see a small icon on the interface to denote this status. When you queue for a game with priority queue status, the matchmaker tries to prioritize finding an appropriate game for you. This normally results in significantly lower times waiting in queue.
HERO UPDATES

ECHO

Focusing Beam felt slightly too long-ranged given how lethal it has the potential to be. Echo may have to get a bit closer to utilize the ability but certainly has the mobility to do so.
Focusing Beam
  • Range reduced from 20 to 16 meters
GENJI
We're looking to strengthen Genji's close-range combat effectiveness to help solidify his viability as a mobile burst-damage hero. We'll keep a close eye on his overall power as we're increasing both the flexibility of Deflect and improving the shuriken damage consistency at the same time.
Shuriken
General
  • Damage increased from 28 to 30
Secondary Fire
  • Spread reduced from 12 to 9
Deflect
  • Duration increased from 1.5 to 2 seconds
  • Can now be cancelled manually
HANZO
The previous combination of changes to the projectile speed and the damage of Storm Arrows impacted Hanzo more than intended so we're reverting the Storm Arrow damage back its previous value.
Storm Arrows
  • Damage increased from 60 to 70
ORISA
Halt!

• Increased sound effects volume
WORKSHOP UPDATES

New Workshop Actions

• Attach Players
  • Detach Players
  • Start Forcing Player Position
  • Stop Forcing Player Position
New Workshop Values
  • Is In Alternate Form
  • Is Duplicating
  • Hero Being Duplicated
BUG FIXES

General

• Deathmatch - Fixed a bug where the end of round flow music would not transition properly
  • Fixed a bug in which custom game settings were sometimes being reverted to default between rounds of a Control map or when causing one's own death while Respawn as Random Hero is active
  • Custom games will no longer shut down due to server load issues when using Mei's primary fire with a 0% freeze rate
  • Fixed a bug where custom game lobby privacy settings were reset when importing a share code
Heroes
Echo
  • Fixed a bug that would allow Reinhardt's Charge to hit Echo when using her Duplicate ability
  • Fixed a bug where Echo would lose her ultimate charge if she dies with her ultimate target confirmation active
  • Fixed a bug with Echo becoming stuck in her Focusing Beam animation
  • Fixed a bug where a cloned hero's communication wheel settings would not copy over properly
Mei
  • Fixed a bug that would cause Mei's hat to fall off when using Cryo-Freeze while wearing her Mei-rry skin
  • Fixed a bug with Mei's drone not animating correctly at the end of her Blizzard ultimate ability
Sombra
  • Fixed a bug where Sombra could sometimes hack people right as they started an ability that would prevent hacking (i.e. Wraithform, Meteor Strike)
Symmetra
  • Fixed a bug where Symmetra Turrets could be placed on certain spawn doors
Workshop
  • Fixed a bug in which restarting a rule that was using the Wait action and then executing the same Wait action on the same frame could cause the action to wait forever
  • Fixed a bug in which using a chased variable for the rate or destination of the Chase action that was modifying it would cause incorrect behavior
  • Fixed a bug in which the final objective of an Assault, Hybrid, or Escort map could be completed when Disable Built-In Game Mode Completion was in effect
  • Fixed a bug in which reaching 100% distance or capture progress on the final objective of an Assault, Hybrid, or Escort map would cause endless beeping if Disable Built-In Game Mode Completion was in effect
  • Fixed a bug which caused the Stop Transforming Throttle action not to work
  • The Is Using Ultimate value now returns true when D.Va is using either of her ultimate abilities
  • The Is Using Ultimate value now returns true for the first few frames of Echo's ultimate (After the first few frames, check the new Is Duplicating value)
  • The Is Using Ultimate value now returns true for Ashe only while B.O.B. is alive
  • Fixed a bug which caused the Respawn action to stop working for players that had recently been resurrected
  • Fixed rules with Echo as the designated hero not always executing correctly during or after her ultimate
  • Fixed the Is Primary Fire value sometimes returning incorrect values after Winston's ultimate and during Hanzo's Storm Arrows ability
  • The Is Using Ability 2 value no longer returns true for Widowmaker if her only existing Venom Mine has been fired off the map
  • Fixed a bug where script error messages remained on screens for certain subroutine errors even after fixing the issue in the editor
  • Fixed a bug preventing Set Objective Description from working when executed prior to the player spawning in
  • Fixed a bug preventing Disable Built-In Game Mode Announcer from working in certain modes
  • Fixed a bug preventing the Damage Over Time effects from occurring when first starting the Molten Floor Workshop Preset
  • Fixed a bug preventing Set Match Time from being able to be used while in Assemble Heroes in CTF
  • Fixed a bug preventing certain abilities from triggering Dealt/Received Knockback Events (Junkrat's self-knockback from Concussive Mine, Doomfist's Rocket Punch, and Reinhardt's Rocket Hammer)
  • Fixed a bug preventing Sigma's Ultimate Ability from working properly when gravity settings were altered via Workshop or Custom Game Settings
  • Fixed a bug preventing the names of Dummy Bots from properly showing up in Kill Cams, POTGs, and End of Match Summaries
  • Fixed a bug where Destroy All Dummy Bots failed to work in certain scenarios

Last edited: