• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for the tips everyone, much appreciated.

Coming back to this game after a long absence, I'm reminded of how mildly irritating it is to walk allllllll the way back into the action after respawning. Do you think they should revamp this whole concept? Like...just have us do something else? I can feel precious seconds of my life wasting away each time. Maybe have us engaged with a minigame or team-helping action, or just anything other than walking for 30 seconds, then instantly respawn close to the action.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips everyone, much appreciated.

Coming back to this game after a long absence, I'm reminded of how mildly irritating it is to walk allllllll the way back into the action after respawning. Do you think they should revamp this whole concept? Like...just have us do something else? I can feel precious seconds of my life wasting away each time. Maybe have us engaged with a minigame or team-helping action, or just anything other than walking for 30 seconds, then instantly respawn close to the action.
That's the point. That's the whole metagame, the entire crux of strategy. Defenders need time as their ally, attacker's greatest enemy is time. You can't reduce the time spent walking back to the point because then so much of the game is utterly invalidated. Defender/attacker advantage, overtime, grouping up... even ultimates become useless.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I forget, does Orisa's and Mercy's damage boost stack?

Because I know it nothing stacks with Nano boost, but is it because the capped stack is no more than 50% more damage, or what?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Well, I've put an hour into Baptiste and haven't got either of his trophies yet. I find him too challenging to be honest. I think I'm ok with him as a basic character, I can multitask and get plentry of kills/heal teammates like I do with Zen, but I'm pretty useless with his abilities, his matrix and immortal field ult. I can never deploy the matrix in a good moment and his ult gets destroyed within seconds.

I tried Ashe today for one match and had a great time, definitely going to have fun with her combat style. Going to feel weird being unable to heal myself though, I'm too used to support characters, and have zero faith in my random team mates to heal me. Time to memorise where the med packs are...

daydream

Oct 25, 2017
gotta say, outside of bunker, the game is in a really good spot right now, meta-wise. tons of different comps being played, goats being just one of many now

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Is ball still not available for play on Xbox? Kinda crazy it's been like two days
I honestly don't believe that goats exist outside of OWL, it's pretty pitiful on ladder
Agree. Even watching top 500 streamers, most games aren't goats.

That's cause people are just sick and tired of it plus recent balance changes have made it so it isn't really worth playing on ladder, it's mostly Orisa based comps.

At its peak, you even saw goats on low masters high diamond games, on console at that too, it was so tiring.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is ball still not available for play on Xbox? Kinda crazy it's been like two days

That's cause people are just sick and tired of it plus recent balance changes have made it so it isn't really worth playing on ladder, it's mostly Orisa based comps.

At its peak, you even saw goats on low masters high diamond games, on console at that too, it was so tiring.

True, when it was new it was played a lot more. Though tbh for me it doesn't matter that much since in comp I play support, and support characters will never go away. That and there aren't that many of them.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Well, yeah, I'm not saying goats was never a ladder strat. But it's certainly not these days

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I'm finding myself to actually be surprisingly decent with his gun, not at all my expectation but I am more confident with hitscan than projectile, for the most part

his kit can be a little... hectic? with all he's got going on; managing both regen burst and immortality field cooldowns, trying to help out and land shots while also trying to keep everyone alive, keeping an eye out for good ult opportunities... it's overwhelming at times

I love him but I don't want to play him all the time
sometimes I just need to glide around as Mercy and not have a care in the world lol

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Last time Blizzard added interesting and good healer to the game was when Moira was released. Both Brigitte and Baptiste are boring and disappointing additions to the game. Majority of post launch heroes were not good and too safe.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Not to crossover into OWL thread too much, but the matches yesterday had a lot of interesting variety on meta/comps and of course Kariv's Ana play is now enshrined as a legendary effort. It will be interesting to see if there's a push to mitigate Sombra's presence at the center of top level play.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Last time Blizzard added interesting and good healer to the game was when Moira was released. Both Brigitte and Baptiste are boring and disappointing additions to the game. Majority of post launch heroes were not good and too safe.
What???

Moira is the most brain-dead hero in the game. Mercy has a higher skill cap than her. When people ask me which hero to play when they first start playing OW, Moira is my first recommendation.

She is good, I guess. She's very effective for requiring almost zero thought. A literal spray and pray character. Not very interesting

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What???

Moira is the most brain-dead hero in the game. Mercy has a higher skill cap than her. When people ask me which hero to play when they first start playing OW, Moira is my first recommendation.

She is good, I guess. She's very effective for requiring almost zero thought. A literal spray and pray character. Not very interesting
Agreed. If I can do well with a character then it means they aren't particularly technical XD

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't think Moira is bad in terms of game design.

Like, I would say that Moira is a successful implementation of what they attempted with Brigette. She's an easy to use healer that has good damage and escape options when she needs them and has the unique utility of being able to heal the entire team provided their all grouped up. Her maximum effectiveness is limited compared to other healers and her weaknesses are well defined, but you want an easy character to use in the game. The trick is to make sure they are not too powerful for how easy they are to use, and I don't feel Moira is, while still being a benefit to the team.

I wouldn't side eye anyone for saying moira is their favorite.

stingsabit

Nov 4, 2017
Hoping Echo will be healer and interesting/fun. I agree, Moira has been one of the better additions to the game and overall a great character.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like, I would say that Moira is a successful implementation of what they attempted with Brigette. She's an easy to use healer that has good damage and escape options when she needs them and has the unique utility of being able to heal the entire team provided their all grouped up. Her maximum effectiveness is limited compared to other healers and her weaknesses are well defined, but you want an easy character to use in the game. The trick is to make sure they are not too powerful for how easy they are to use, and I don't feel Moira is, while still being a benefit to the team.

She's very well balanced indeed. AND FUN TO PLAY.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Brigitte is a different beast now after her zeitgeist of nerfs. I'd genuinely argue that the skill needed to have a huge impact on the match is akin to the skill needed on Reinhardt. They're both "just press W+M1 4head" heroes with highly impactful cooldowns that can easily be wasted and exploited. Both of their skills come from positioning and gamesense. So, Moira and Brigitte don't even occupy the same role of introductory healer anymore. They're not even both anti-dive - Brig was intended for that, but Moira is more of a "can survive without being blown up by dive" hero.

And there's a reason there's no high level Moira one-tricks, because you can leap up and literally smack your head into her skill ceiling. A basic as heck hero for new players to dip their toes in is great, but she has no hidden depth. Mercy and, yes, Soldier 76 are super easy heroes to start with, but unlike Moira, they either have nuance or aiming skill to develop and have greater impact. Once you know how to play Moira...that's it. There's no tech, no secret subtleties to her playstyle. I can't actually think of other heroes that have as hard of a skill ceiling as she does. So while a safe, intro hero without nuance isn't bad design...it ain't good

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
What???

I was talking about not feeling like a healing bot while playing a Support. I was talking about Support character being something more than just running from one teammate to another and dying in between.
Brigitte was really nice idea, but they destroyed her with tons of nerfs. And Baptiste is just... no thanks.

So yeah, for me Moira is still the best post launch hero and great addition to the game roster. If it wasn't for her i would have probably stopped playing this game long time ago. I honestly don't want to comment on Mercy having higher skill cap then Moira and that she is the most brain-dead hero in the game. If that's your opinion, fine. But you clearly misunderstood what i was talking about when i said that imo. Moira is one of the best additions to the game.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about not feeling like a healing bot while playing a Support. I was talking about Support character being something more than just running from one teammate to another and dying in between.
Brigitte was really nice idea, but they destroyed her with tons of nerfs. And Baptiste is just... no thanks.
Actually, yeah, this makes sense. Ana and Bap can both get railroaded into healing only, especially if your team isn't using shields or cover properly.

But yeah, Brig clearly doesn't fit this description, which you acknowledge.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of cool things you can do with Baptiste. Moira is literally a heal bot and im speakingas someone who reached my career high with her (37x something). I can't play her now because I get bored fast lol.

Some little things like:

Part 1:

Staying a bit far/one step ahead of enemy Sombra and denying her EMP with field.

Positioning + denying Grav.

Shoot and healing at the same time and combo with your ult from the very first push.

Enabling bunker comps.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Part 2:

Anti-bunker comp by throwing an aggressive field to your Genji while he is ulting.

Anti-Mei wall but sadly I can't save you twice there, Rein lol.

Throwing your field at the right time.

And finally, when you really don't like Pharmercy.

I hope these little videos can be of use to someone here. I'm having a lot of fun with Baptiste and he is my go to healer along with Mercy (love the damage boost enabling McCree/Ashe etc), Brig in close combat/goats and especially at the last points and the usual Lucio/Moira. I used to play lots of Zen and can flex with him but very rare.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I think Moira's kit is really well designed but, yeah, I find her really boring to play

I know a lot of people would say the same for Mercy but with Mercy you've got
- the rush of successfully pulling off risky ressurects
- the rush of gliding between allies and narrowly dodging death
- the rush of pulling out your blaster at the right moment and getting a clutch final blow

with Moira, you've got tossing an orb into a small room and maybe getting a kill or suckin a low health Genji/Lucio to finish them off while they hop around, neither of which "feel" that great imo

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
with Moira, you've got tossing an orb into a small room and maybe getting a kill or suckin a low health Genji/Lucio to finish them off while they hop around, neither of which "feel" that great imo

I think her ultimate is fun because depending on the situation, you can either focus it for massive heals, massive damage that goes through shields, or both, or switching between one or the other on the fly. It's a good ult.

But yeah, she could use something in her normal play that gives her an extra zest. Nothing big maybe, but something that makes you go "oh wow, I can't believe they managed to pull that off!" when it happens.

(also, for Mercy, you also have Super Jumping, which is a skillful technique that separates the good mercies from the god mercies)

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Why would anyone compare Mercy with Moira? I don't get it. They are two totally different characters. Mercy is still my most played character (i think) with Moira being second. I love them both and usually switch between them + And and Brigitte. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Moira needs better tracking like Zarya/new Sym instead of look at the enemy and hold a button that can reach 20 meters away.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone compare Mercy with Moira? I don't get it. They are two totally different characters. Mercy is still my most played character (i think) with Moira being second. I love them both and usually switch between them + And and Brigitte. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
Because Mercy's kind of regarded as the original Healbot of OW and requires somewhat low skill to play competently like Moira, not that they themselves play in a similar fashion (primarily because Moira can damage more easily and mass heal).

The thing is, I don't know what they could even do to make moira 'better'. The only change I really considered for her is the ability to heal past shields (Like, you know how Winston's Tesla bypasses shields and does damage regardless? I was thinking of Moira doing that for healing), but that would just help GOATS here and now. Still, being the only healer that can heal past shields would give her a unique utility in the game.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Widow smurf on the other team, triple DPS/solo healer on my team, and then one of them quits. It's absolutely mind-boggling that Blizzard hasn't figured out a solution to shit like this three years later.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Moira needs better tracking like Zarya/new Sym instead of look at the enemy and hold a button that can reach 20 meters away.
Then they would have to increase her DMG. Because she has the lowest DMG in the game.

Moira imo. doesn't need anything added to be "better". She is good as she is and is one of the most balanced OW characters they released.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Removing auto aim from Symmetra is one of the worst decisions they've made since launch

Pretty soon the same people will say Winston needs to ahve multiple cursors and each one has to be over the enemies hitbox todo cleave damage

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Just realized that we are 5 days away from July. I was expecting some hero 31 teasers by now.

I really hope and believe that Mauga is not hero 31. He sounds super basic and boring.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Cause they both appear simple on the surface, but only one actually is.

Good Mercy's are incredible. They know the timing and targets for the most impactful resses, they know who and when to heal or damage boost, and they use her movement abilities and tech (super jumps) to be almost unkillable. When the moth meta was king, it forced people to learn just how freaking in depth she actually was, which was surprising to lots (myself included).

Good Moira's...don't feed? And don't go only DPS the whole time?

Bad to average players, I'd say Moira is the better choice. But at a high SR, I'd only suggest Moira in a close quarters brawl-y comp against high DPS

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Part 2:

Anti-bunker comp by throwing an aggressive field to your Genji while he is ulting.

Anti-Mei wall but sadly I can't save you twice there, Rein lol.

Throwing your field at the right time.

And finally, when you really don't like Pharmercy.

I hope these little videos can be of use to someone here. I'm having a lot of fun with Baptiste and he is my go to healer along with Mercy (love the damage boost enabling McCree/Ashe etc), Brig in close combat/goats and especially at the last points and the usual Lucio/Moira. I used to play lots of Zen and can flex with him but very rare.

You did a better job explaining my thoughts on Baptiste, and why people shouldn't sleep on him. Mastering this hero is tough, as his mechanical and game sense related skill cap are incredibly high, but it feels so satisfying when everything clicks. He's basically everything that I wanted for a high skill cap Support Hero (in the same sense when Hammond/Wrecking Ball came out).

Also, one of the best things I have learned when playing him, is you NEED to have automatic reloading disabled in the options menu for the hero. It helps so much to manage your duo ammo (such as avoiding reloading if you ran out of grenades but want to shoot, or vise versa). Also, after charging Exo Boots, it lingers for an additional second, so it enables you to walk around and decided if you want to jump away or not. (The number of times I jump out of a Doomfist punch or Reinhardt Earthshatter is staggering).

Status
Not open for further replies.