• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

Yay thank you!!!

R4wd0U6.gif
Sweet! Thanks. I'd not seen that one!

Hero Gauntlet and Mirrored DM are a joy!!!

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
Went 7-3 in placements and got 2455. Not bad considering I think I had fallen to about 2050-2100 or so before I took my break last season.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Need to vent real quick. Biotic Grenade most busted ass shithole ability in the game. It'd be an ult for any other character.If you removed half its functionality it would still be completely the most overpowered ability in the game by far. Scatter Arrow wishes it was fucking Biotic Grenade

ok I'm done

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
As a support main, who loves playing Baptiste, my biggest problem are teammates that accidentally step out of my immortality field. So I wish they would change the immortality-field visuals back to the PTR's cylinder-effect....
D68UtslUIAEkXtJ

....instead of the minimalistic-effect we currently have.
D68UtshUYAACO8g
Yes please

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I just bought the Academy skin and the Mech's head animates with emotes

fuck all you doubters, best skin ever

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
is there a reason blizz puts music only for hammond? the last emote had sound. this dance has sound too.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2-2-2 cannot come soon enough. It has got to the point if I see three DPS or more in a match, I just afk and only remain active enough to not get kicked. Don't care if I'm ruining the game for others, since they already ruining it for me. If they actually cared about winning they wouldn't make such shitty comps.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
2-2-2 cannot come soon enough. It has got to the point if I see three DPS or more in a match, I just afk and only remain active enough to not get kicked. Don't care if I'm ruining the game for others, since they already ruining it for me. If they actually cared about winning they wouldn't make such shitty comps.

I've been getting a lot of playtime this season as Hammond, so I appreciate that aspect of Quad DPS. Got a quintuple kill with his slam/mine combo, which I'm happy.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Decided to launch the game again tonight for the first real session in a few months... Come for the D.Va skin, stay for that sweet, sweet Mei skin. Sogood.gif

That said, played six games - 3 or 4 golds on every single one, rotating between Mei, Sym, and Anna (yes, most elims, most healing, and most objective time with her) and lost all six... so, so frustrating. Played a seventh, handily destroyed the other team and decided to end on a high note. The matchmaking in this game will never be good, IMO.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Dang it I got a Legendary but it was Young Hanzo...

Well at least my free loot box gave me Pharah!

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the new skins always 3k to buy for the first year or so?

I've been playing since December or so and I think I might have got 3k total in that time. I only have 1.25k presently and got an old D.Va skin in my Legendary Loot Box so I am currently very sad about all the fun looking new stuff I won't be able to have until this time next year XD

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I got the Winston skin in the free box you get. I also got another legendary...a non-event Sombra. Next box I get legendary...currency.

Sucks that I never play as Winston, but glad to have his best skin. With near 100 hours of Roadhog, though, I want THAT skin instead.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

What you're doing is worse than people playing the third DPS. 2-2-2 is not the end all be all and there certainly situation where that composition is not the most optimal. I actually prefer triple DPS to 2-2-2 against bunker comps.

Triple DPS can certainly work with Winston/Hammond+Lucio+Mercy.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What you're doing is worse than people playing the third DPS. 2-2-2 is not the end all be all and there certainly situation where that composition is not the most optimal. I actually prefer triple DPS to 2-2-2 against bunker comps.

It will also only solve the problem to an extent. It's definitely going to be better that every game has atleast 2 tanks and healers, sure, but you'll still have games where the tanks pick Roadhog and Zarya, and then you have people begging for one of the tanks to go main tank.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
You're what's wrong with this game. In the about 12 matches that it happened to me today, I lost 0 with tripple dps and drew 1.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
2-2-2 is a suggestion not the rule. If it were then GOATS wouldn't be the most powerful team setup (if you know what you're doing.) Throwing matches if they don't adhere to a strict guideline is malicious and I'm surprised you haven't gotten temp banned. If you absolutely can't play without a strict 2-2-2 setup, then make a team that can't switch to anything that isn't 2-2-2.

EDIT: Forgot to quote.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
It will also only solve the problem to an extent. It's definitely going to be better that every game has atleast 2 tanks and healers, sure, but you'll still have games where the tanks pick Roadhog and Zarya, and then you have people begging for one of the tanks to go main tank.

Yeah, if they're going that route, it shouldn't be 2-2-2, rather like this:

Main Tank/Off Tank
DPS
Main Healer/Off Healer

But then, they'll have to educate OW players what those roles mean. It's very difficult.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
the problem isnt 3 dps but bad players not switching even tho ita not working.
played plenty of 4dps and 5dps and won. in qp tho :P (i dont comp) i tend to just go with the flow and play a dps too. if the team wants to win bad, one of them will switch to healer and dps. im bad at tanking (exception to winston) or healing, as i tend to be too agressive and get myself killed without contributing. rather play dps that im good at. by no mean im throwing, im just playing to my strength 🤓
but i tend not to play qp too unless my friend want to. my goto game mode is mystery heroes. helps to learn heroes and let the rng decide every role so no complain about player's pick.

Last edited:

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
3 DPS, 2 healers, 1 tank can work just fine

and there's a lot of "weird" comps can work just fine, every match is different
but yeah, it's more that some people are unwilling to change even when they're not contributing much or are being directly countered

or people who decide to throw and waste everyone's time because of some perceived slight

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
I solo-healed a 3 dps 2 tank Ilios game yesterday on Zen and got showered in shot callers and other endorsements.

Don't take those thrills away please.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I said at least triple DPS, there are usually 4, 3 is just the point I cannot be bothered to carry anymore. 2-2-2 enforcement would be great because it will probably be the only way to even get two healers more than once in a blue moon.

I don't play to make others happy, to support their enjoyment while ignoring my own. I'm tired of trying to support players not willing to support me back. So I won't.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I said at least triple DPS, there are usually 4, 3 is just the point I cannot be bothered to carry anymore. 2-2-2 enforcement would be great because it will probably be the only way to even get two healers more than once in a blue moon.

I don't play to make others happy, to support their enjoyment while ignoring my own. I'm tired of trying to support players not willing to support me back. So I won't.

I mean, I flex between all 3 classes so I can fill whatever role I think best suits whatever comp is happening with randos. Forcing people into a comp won't "fix" anything, because the comp isn't really the problem, it's the player skill level.

I've played games with 1 off-tank, all DPS and a lone support...and own. I've played 2-2-2 and lost. I've played 3-3 and won / lost. Basically any comp is vulnerable to getting destroyed or laying waste to the other team, it just boils down to how well that group of players vibe. Forcing 2-2-2 isn't really going to change your experience, it's just going to shift your focus to "god these support players SUCK" or "WHY WON'T OUR DPS FOCUS ON THE SUPPORTS?!". At the end of the day, the best thing is to just play with friends who will support a comp that works for you all. I play with 3 people pretty regularly, and we all try to flex as needed, we know our strengths and play accordingly.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
Yeah, if they're going that route, it shouldn't be 2-2-2, rather like this:

Main Tank/Off Tank
DPS
Main Healer/Off Healer

But then, they'll have to educate OW players what those roles mean. It's very difficult.
Blizzard did a horrible job of explaining what constitutes a good "team composition", I had to watch many hours of OW guide/coaching videos before I understood it myself.

But I disagree with forcing Main/Off tanks & healers, often times double-main tank/support can work fine. I've even had success with double-off healers (brig + lucio) on smaller map points (Ilios Lighthouse) since everyone will be inside of their healing auora.
Thsnks, next stop is hitting Diamond.

If you want a guranteed "2-2-2 enforcement" just use Find-Group (w/ role lock), but please don't afk sabotage the game for others because there are 3+ dps on your team in solo-Q.

Also, you can try asking your team to change heroes:
"Can one of the dps switch to support, so we have 2 healers?"
(sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't).

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Blizzard did a horrible job of explaining what constitutes a good "team composition", I had to watch many hours of OW guide/coaching videos before I understood it myself.

There really isn't a "good" team composition because player skill level is mostly the deciding factor and the meta shifts every now and then. 2-2-2 is considered the default because there's a redundancy to each role which is a great setup if you're not amazing at the game.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard did a horrible job of explaining what constitutes a good "team composition"

This is because the game itself has a number of critical design flaws that they've spent three years trying to patch over. When the game was released, Blizzard's legitimate intention was that every DPS was viable in a variety of situations, every tank was viable in different situations, etc. Instead people quickly realized that, hey, having a big glowing energy shield to protect us is objectively way more useful in every situation than a guy with a hook or a girl that eats projectiles from time to time. So the meta instantly coalesced around requiring a shield tank (or "main tank" as we now call them) in every composition. Characters like Roadhog or D.Va were forced into weird off-tank roles that the game doesn't officially recognize. So to a new player, it seems entirely logical that you can pick any two tanks and have a good composition. Why not, right? They're all tanks. But there's actually a huge gameplay difference between Reinhardt and D.Va, or between Orisa and Roadhog, that the game is structurally not designed to recognize and players have to eventually figure out on their own.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
And even the maintank/offtank divide isn't so clear. For the longest time after he was released, no one was sure what to make of Hammond. Now, the community has decided that he's a maintain since he is, if nothing else, an initiator like the other maintanks, but he functions literally like no other tank, main or off.

IMO, if blizzard wants to inform us on how to play overwatch, my best guess would be an actual description of their team function in the info tab that is constantly updated as the game goes on.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
And even the maintank/offtank divide isn't so clear. For the longest time after he was released, no one was sure what to make of Hammond. Now, the community has decided that he's a maintain since he is, if nothing else, an initiator like the other maintanks, but he functions literally like no other tank, main or off.

IMO, if blizzard wants to inform us on how to play overwatch, my best guess would be an actual description of their team function in the info tab that is constantly updated as the game goes on.
I'd say he's functionally an off tank because he has no damage mitigation for his team, but he has similar utility to D.Va and Hog. But compositionally, he's a main tank. Kind of like the tomato vegetable/fruit debate.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
She mitigates damage the best, but she's not a main tank. She's a necessary glue holding this game together. If she's out of the meta, we won't have world of tanks anymore, it'd be a world of hitscans.
Yup, absolutely agreed. She's a necessary evil. If she falls out of the meta, most of the game needs to be rebalanced.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is because the game itself has a number of critical design flaws that they've spent three years trying to patch over. When the game was released, Blizzard's legitimate intention was that every DPS was viable in a variety of situations, every tank was viable in different situations, etc. Instead people quickly realized that, hey, having a big glowing energy shield to protect us is objectively way more useful in every situation than a guy with a hook or a girl that eats projectiles from time to time. So the meta instantly coalesced around requiring a shield tank (or "main tank" as we now call them) in every composition. Characters like Roadhog or D.Va were forced into weird off-tank roles that the game doesn't officially recognize. So to a new player, it seems entirely logical that you can pick any two tanks and have a good composition. Why not, right? They're all tanks. But there's actually a huge gameplay difference between Reinhardt and D.Va, or between Orisa and Roadhog, that the game is structurally not designed to recognize and players have to eventually figure out on their own.

I think this is very true given how often the "hey we could use a tank" situation devolves into the DPS chosing Hog. Same things happens when asking for a healer results in a solo Zen or something.

It feels like Blizzard had too much faith in the community to figure things out. Three years later we still have fuckers trickling in, never mind playing their roles right. There's a beauty to discovery and learning, but it's a hard ask of a community to have that attitude. Not everyone is built in that way. Especially in a game like OW where the temptation is strong to blame the other 5 players than yourself.

That being said, with so little feedback, I think it's hard to know how to even think when playing the game. When to switch. How to change the approach. Even how to approach. I wish the game did a better job of teaching players at least some baseline knowledge. At least we moved away from "we're defending so I'm going Junk/Hanzo/Widow/etc".

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like Blizzard had too much faith in the community to figure things out.

This is basically the slogan of the game that should be printed on the box art.

Every single game mechanic that Blizzard has attempted to introduce to allow players to figure things out for themselves has collapsed on itself. People need structure. Giving players complete and utter freedom with no information on how to use that freedom to the advantage of their team means you're just creating a chaotic mess.

There's a principle in game development, I can't remember where I read it, but the principle is that when you are prototyping a new feature, your team needs to immediately think of the worst possible way that a bad actor could abuse the new feature, and how you plan to deal with it. Put yourself in the headspace of a dick who doesn't care about anyone and what he would do with this new feature, and iterate around it. Blizzard consistently fails to do this and they end up doing the surprised Pikachu face when people immediately start taking advantage of every new toy they're given.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't agree with it, I can understand some in the community wanting an Overwatch 2 to come. What they really want is a reboot of the game, not necessarily a new game to buy. They want a game where Blizzard has its design philosophy figured out, Brigitte and Goats comp don't exist, all the current features are there at launch along with new ones, and of course plenty of content at launch.

I think the game can still make a comeback if Blizzard plays their cards right but I can understand the want for a reset button.

Status
Not open for further replies.