• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Played the map on PTR. It's nice. The last stretch of it is REALLY open, and the middle portion (The distillery) is going to be interesting with how much shit is there in terms of geometry.

What I'm surprised at is how much it plays like the Storm Rising event. Rialto plays nothing like the Retribution event because they made it backwards with no payload, but Havana plays almost exactly like the PvE event.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Played the map on PTR. It's nice. The last stretch of it is REALLY open, and the middle portion (The distillery) is going to be interesting with how much shit is there in terms of geometry.

What I'm surprised at is how much it plays like the Storm Rising event. Rialto plays nothing like the Retribution event because they made it backwards with no payload, but Havana plays almost exactly like the PvE event.
Sad it's the same route, but the distilery might be my favorite map bit after king's row's...uh... everything lol, it looks like cs_assault(?) i loved it

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
someone go test the payload's geometry. so i can know if i should even try to hide from a dva bomb around it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
They would probably actually get diamond given how generous the game is with placing people in high platinum on fresh accounts. It makes low diamond queues real hit-or-miss. Just had a match where someone admitted they have no idea how to play Moira or what counters a Bastion.

Maybe if you were already GM level so your MMR was really high. I went 6-4 on my fresh account and only got like 2550.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Some assorted thoughts from a semi lapsed player

- Baptise is an interesting one, the immortality filed concept is pretty neat, when your rein is about to be reaped and you throw in a clutch field that completely turns the tables it's goooood times. My healing output with him is pretty naff, I must be having trouble adjusting to the nades or not know when it's best to use the burst.
A killer for me though is the gun, oh god, burst fire finally made it to overwatch, my mortal enemy of gunplay. Thus my ability to support with damage here is weak. I also have struggled to apply his ult, part of me feels it could be a bit wider but there's probably something I'm missing.
In any case, an appreciated addition to the healer collection but not one I see myself vibing with too much.

- Speaking of which, man we got all these neat support characters....and I still end up having to play them all the time, some things never change.
I eventually had to be selfish after a good 10 matches or so to get some tank and dps action in.

- Ol' Briggers seemed to be the only character I didn't see at all during my stretch of matches, outside of when I wheeled her out. So did they wallop her hard with the nerf bat? compared to the past my damage output felt like we went from flail to a ball in a cup, a sort of shame for me because I like the melee character concept but I guess her shaping the meta for like a year is gonna be a problem.
edit: a quick glance at the current OWL, well she's still there, maybe it's the lack of co-ordination on quick play

- I still feel the pain of Zen being the one support with no real escape/get off me button, getting spawn camped by a Sombra had me begging for OW to steal the Apex ping system (also boy that sombra sure is the anti-fun these days)

- If you have to solo support a match, it still seems like Mercy and Moira are the only viable options in quick play land.
Unsurprisingly the widow/hanzo/genji trifecta with a dash of McCree (and now maybe Ashe!) is all still a recurring feature of the team lineups.

- Didn't see Paris in my travels, nor my fave maps either, but hot damn here's multiple Horizon matches!

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm fucking dead lmao

Overwatch-Tax-Justice-Wrecking-Ball-1024x1024.jpg

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
God, I need to learn to stop caring about losing. Quick play is too much of a mess with people that care too much and I'm don't want to lose all my points and avoid ranked. Most fun I'm having is in all random but that mode can feel so pointless with how one sided it becomes.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this back up and I forgot how stubborn players can be when things aren't going their way. Spam thanks then you pick widowmaker. Lol.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
didn't they fix uprising last year with adding a timer to extraction?

I just played through it and a genji and reaper decided to spend like a minute fighting off extra baddies until they died

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
They would probably actually get diamond given how generous the game is with placing people in high platinum on fresh accounts. It makes low diamond queues real hit-or-miss. Just had a match where someone admitted they have no idea how to play Moira or what counters a Bastion.

Try telling a team that Winston Genji D.Va Zen is what you need to easily destroy a Bastion setup even at middiamond, sometimes MASTERS level.

"Nah bruh you crazy we need a SHIELD, imma go Orisa"

*Five seconds later*

"Yo dps y'all trash get some picks!"

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Try telling a team that Winston Genji D.Va Zen is what you need to easily destroy a Bastion setup even at middiamond, sometimes MASTERS level.

*Five seconds later*

Wait why Winston, he gets shredded by bastion

Pharah or any sniper is better

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
really yall are slacking

Wait, why did they remove the weather effects? I thought that would make a cool feature for the map. Also, this year's mission was way shorter in completion time than the last two. And the lore is all over the place too with a bunch of open, unanswered plot lines.

I don't know man...I feel like the OW Dev team, at least the PVE side, needs a better person in charge or a fire lit under them. I have a feeling they are constantly having to help the PvP side make changes that the PvE focus just isn't there or is getting worse. Also where is Michael Chu and crew? He adds a sprinkle of lore, retcons a character's past, then dips until the next character release. The lore board must look like a mess.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
I'm not Big Yoshi, but I'd say try to learn one character from each role so you can flex. Some people are only good at one role, and its best to play around the randoms.

Or you can just learn to play a DPS really well like Doomfist, and brute force your way up by farming the enemy backline.

other general tips:

* Try never to stagger from your team. If the team fight is lost and you can get out, do so.

* Use voice chat to make call outs even if only one other person is listening.

* In a lot of lower level games it's usually one person whos carrying. If this is the case try and counter them, or ask if anyone can play said counter.

It's also much easier to climb as a DPS/Tank over a healer (at least in my experience).
Thanks for the helpful tips.👍
  • I learned not to stagger from watching OW "coaching" videos, but in Gold rank most players just stagger while ignoring my calls to "fall back" or "group up".
  • Good advice, I learned callouts from watching Twitch streamers.
  • In my experience in mid-lower ranks, it's not so much one person "carrying" so much as it is one person (unintentionally) making "beginner mistakes" which hurts the entire team.
  • I can flex dps & tank, but I am best/most effective as healer, which is probably why it's so hard for me to climb since I am at the mercy (no pun intented lol) of my team's skills.
    1. Learn Team comps

this really cant be understated, but if someone else on your team picks Winston, you have to pick dva if your playing off tank. Same with Zarya for Rein (its also sometimes okay to go dva rein), Dva with ball, and hog or dva with Orisa.

2. Learn what to play when your team comp sucks ass

If you have 4 people locked in as dps, you HAVE to play ball or Mercy. Also try not to antagonize your team by getting tilted at the 4 dps, but if they are playing some dumb shit like 4 hitscan, ask one to swap to phara so mercy can get away.

3. Don't get tilted. Its real easy to get tilted, but it makes you play substantially worse.

4.Pick relevant healers for tanks. If your tankline is winston dva, you can't play moira because she cant go in with them or heal at a distance like mercy/ana can. Its also usually needed to have either lucio/zen/baptiste in order to survive ult combos with either a defensive ult or immortality field.

5. Communicate well.

6. Don't waste ults on won/lost fights.

7. if you get full held just go bunker comp because its the only way your gonna be able to tie.

Note these tips are biased because I don't play any dps heroes unless you count Brig. IMO if your ever in a sitaution where you have to fill as DPS brig is usually the answer.
    Thanks for the helpful tips.👍
    1. I learned about "team comps" from watching guide videos, but in Gold my team either:
      a) ignorant to good team comps
      or
      b) doesn't care & plays whatever
    2. Most of the time my team comp "sucks ass" because I'm the only healer and no one wants to flex.
    3. Tilting is my biggest problem, I gotta force myself to take a break when it happens.
    4. I'm a support main, so I know how to switch to "relevant healers", I can flex healers for pretty much any scenario/comp.
    5. The only problem with communicating is that players rarely join voice chat (I'm PS4).
    6. Good advice, I learned about managing ULTs from watching "coaching" videos.
    7. Most of the time my team gets "full held" is because we don't even have the basic comp (ie. 2 healers & shield tank).

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Maybe if you were already GM level so your MMR was really high. I went 6-4 on my fresh account and only got like 2550.

Medals play a role, you also get that fresh account boost where you gain and lose sr at like twice the rate. The median tends to be 2500 to 2800 on fresh accounts I've noticed which still feels too high.

*Five seconds later*

I've been on the "no shield tank" game lately. I think not having that shield makes everyone a better player with positioning and awareness.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Medals play a role, you also get that fresh account boost where you gain and lose sr at like twice the rate. The median tends to be 2500 to 2800 on fresh accounts I've noticed which still feels too high.

I've been on the "no shield tank" game lately. I think not having that shield makes everyone a better player with positioning and awareness.

With good awareness, shotcalling, and making the best out of teams willing to switch and try to win, playing Winston is the easiest way to climb from low elos up to mid Diamond.

Most teams will switch to Reaper, which if you're good managing your cooldowns won't do anything against a good Monkey.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Maybe. On my main account, the first time I ever did comp I went 4-6 and got like 2030.

I guess it probably does depend mostly on your mmr when you start, and how you perform in first placements.

dtrush

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone help me fix this problem? My headshots are hitting but it is not making the distinct headshot sound. Problem just started today and it is frustrating as hell, pretty much unplayable to me.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
can't carry a worthless team. how i get a rare no one wants to play dps but really want to go triple tank. and im left trying to figure out how can i help a bunch of feeder tanks do anything.

i just got off mercy and went widow. me killing mercy let them cap point A. but they really wanted to run zen and brig.

i knew it would have been that because i had to get off ana during the point B defense and go mccree. me dinking them help get a hold. but me trying to go back to support for attack wasn't happening.

but hey. i got to play widow into them.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
Question: Do I receive any sort of SR penalty if I use "find group" for my plavements?
Some assorted thoughts from a semi lapsed player

- Baptise is an interesting one, the immortality filed concept is pretty neat, when your rein is about to be reaped and you throw in a clutch field that completely turns the tables it's goooood times. My healing output with him is pretty naff, I must be having trouble adjusting to the nades or not know when it's best to use the burst.
A tip for Baptiste: If you hold down both mouse buttons, you'll automatically alternate between heals/damage without loosing dps. That way you don't have to worry about switching between burst/nade because you'll do both.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so behind at patch notes I didn't even know Junkrat was buffed. And reaper. Must be why I'm seeing them so much lately.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
watched enough OWL to know how to do bunker comp. i don't really play bap because most team don't know how or the comp just doesn't work with him.

also aim has been improving or settings feel right now.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wrecking Ball is fun but I'm having trouble fully utilizing his grapple. Every time I do I end up colliding into walls at max speed.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
I'm so behind at patch notes I didn't even know Junkrat was buffed. And reaper. Must be why I'm seeing them so much lately.
Blizzard does a horrible job of informing players of the Update changes. Whenever there's a new Patch, Blizzard makes a short youTube video explaining all the nerfs & buffs (below), but doesn't add these "update videos" to the actual game menu so most players never see it:

Wrecking Ball is fun but I'm having trouble fully utilizing his grapple. Every time I do I end up colliding into walls at max speed.
Haha same here, my wrecking ball sucks. I'd recommend loading a map by yourself and just practice grappling. Along with watching "guide" videos on youTube & high level Hammond Twitch streamers.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
D.Va is a force of nature in the uprising and new pve events

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard does a horrible job of informing players of the Update changes.
Twitter, Reddit, Official Forums, patch notes posted in battle.net, videos for bigger patches, PTR updates. I guess they could post a notification on the main menu, but to say they do a horrible job is just simple wrong and overreacting.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard does a horrible job of informing players of the Update changes. Whenever there's a new Patch, Blizzard makes a short youTube video explaining all the nerfs & buffs (below), but doesn't add these "update videos" to the actual game menu so most players never see it:

Haha same here, my wrecking ball sucks. I'd recommend loading a map by yourself and just practice grappling. Along with watching "guide" videos on youTube & high level Hammond Twitch streamers.

Just got paired up with a really good hamster on Hanamura and the dude was diving point in the craziest ways. Slingshotting everywhere.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think I'm finally on board a certain train.

The train of "sombra is the anti-fun"
I mean as a guy who likes to use Zen and Doom she's always been a nice middle finger to my picks, but I've not been playing much since the perma invisibility and boy that's a FUN little thing they did there.

And while it makes perfect sense, I couldn't help but laugh when playing Baptiste earlier and her ult just instantly ate my ult when I popped it, like not even temp disable like with the immortality field, just gone.

Question: Do I receive any sort of SR penalty if I use "find group" for my plavements?
A tip for Baptiste: If you hold down both mouse buttons, you'll automatically alternate between heals/damage without loosing dps. That way you don't have to worry about switching between burst/nade because you'll do both.
Hah, I tried this earlier and was sorta surprised that it did exactly what you said.

Also no SR penalty that I've ever heard of.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing that really cheeses me with the DPS brigade is that they almost always all select the characters that step on each others toes.
Like do we really need Widow, Hanzo and McCree all in one team with a side of Ashe? apparently we do!

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Twitter, Reddit, Official Forums, patch notes posted in battle.net, videos for bigger patches, PTR updates. I guess they could post a notification on the main menu, but to say they do a horrible job is just simple wrong and overreacting.
They only needed the patch notes in the main menu, it's the easiest way to convey the message and the only universal way f showing it and they still haven't done that lol
They even got a "what's new" prompt

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So close to breaking diamond again. Back in that same cycle of high plat / low diamond that I suffered from back when I used to play this a lot.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
get a quick kill with widow then switch to zen. we have 3 dps and a rein with zen and ana. the dps are trash. them getting picked off by the widow and hanzo. trash. i got more kills with zen than them 3 combined.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Well, I think I'm finally on board a certain train.

The train of "sombra is the anti-fun"
I mean as a guy who likes to use Zen and Doom she's always been a nice middle finger to my picks, but I've not been playing much since the perma invisibility and boy that's a FUN little thing they did there.

And while it makes perfect sense, I couldn't help but laugh when playing Baptiste earlier and her ult just instantly ate my ult when I popped it, like not even temp disable like with the immortality field, just gone.
BOOP
giphy.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
wheres my highlights? stupid system doesn't work when i want it to. i popped off as mccree. fuck blizz.

Oct 27, 2017

Like and subscribe to my content distribution account.

But anyways, is there a better "I'm drunk and/or stoned and I don't want to let down my team" hero than Lucio. I've always used Lucio but most of the supports work I suppose.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So my cousin and I are playing together for Mystery Here's. He is playing as a part of the free weekend but my god the queue times are insane. We've been in queue for like 5+ minutes.

Is it cause I play the game regularly but this is his first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.