• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I don't have many problems with the new healers. I'm pretty excited but 200 hp on the Invuln field seems insane.

Edit: It helps beat grav...so that's nice i guess. Also, so many DPS buff, may make Goats a little less prevalent or at least see more quad dps plays?

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, between a self healing ability, an immortality barrier, and a hitscan, high damage burstfire rifle, we have another healer that can go head to head with flanking Tracers.

AND IT WAS DONE WITHOUT CHEESING THE FUCK OUT OF THE PLAYERBASE, TAKE NOTE BLIZZARD

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Oh wow, I knew the end of the season was soon but didn't realize it was this week. School has been kicking my ass and haven't played Overwatch, or any game, in like 2 weeks.

Played only 17 games this season, like 150 SR down from last season. RIP me.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what healer will tend to be paired with Baptiste... Ana sems like she'd have some good synergy with him with her healing being projectile-based (and thus working with his ult) and her nade letting Baptise do some pretty major burst AOE heals (useful when everyone is clustered together in the immortality field at 40hp).

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Hey there!
Armor used to have a varying effect on damage over time and beam type weapons based on how damage instances were handled by the server (it's not the server tick rate, some weapons have different update rates).

This meant that Winston's primary fire would hit the maximum 50% damage reduction against armor because it had a faster damage update rate while Zarya's beam would lose a flat 15 damage per second (after the armor change from -5 damage per hit to -3).

So the general results after this patch are Winston's damage is increased against armor compared to before, Moira is about the same, Zarya and Symmetra are roughly the same at low charge and deal less damage to armor health pools than before while at high charge.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/these-patch-notes/308859/71

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Hey there!
Armor used to have a varying effect on damage over time and beam type weapons based on how damage instances were handled by the server (it's not the server tick rate, some weapons have different update rates).

This meant that Winston's primary fire would hit the maximum 50% damage reduction against armor because it had a faster damage update rate while Zarya's beam would lose a flat 15 damage per second (after the armor change from -5 damage per hit to -3).

So the general results after this patch are Winston's damage is increased against armor compared to before, Moira is about the same, Zarya and Symmetra are roughly the same at low charge and deal less damage to armor health pools than before while at high charge.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/these-patch-notes/308859/71
Well it's not like Symmetra's pick rate was already low or something right

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
D0IWwyTVsAAo-V3

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"How do we kill GOATS?"

"Another AoE support but this time with an ability that prevents death."

"Uhhhhhhhh--"

"It'll work."

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only way to kill GOATs is to stop multiple AOE healers from stacking their heals (or at least reduce the rate at which they heal).
Everything else that is commonly suggested, such as nerfing DVa's matrix, is a bandaid at best, and will push the respective characters into just getting replaced by a different character.

GOATs mainly works because of the massive area healing, not any singular ability.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Baptiste looks like a character built for me and I'm very happy

also glad I got back up to diamond before the season ends so I can buy his gold weapon if I choose to lol

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The only way to kill GOATs is to stop multiple AOE healers from stacking their heals (or at least reduce the rate at which they heal).
Everything else that is commonly suggested, such as nerfing DVa's matrix, is a bandaid at best, and will push the respective characters into just getting replaced by a different character.

GOATs mainly works because of the massive area healing, not any singular ability.
Or just force a 2-2-2 comp and balance the various game metas around that.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're mostly talking about Baptiste, we should probably look at some of hte other changes too.

Doomfist
  • Rising Uppercut
    • Cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
  • Seismic Slam
    • Cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
Developer Comments: Reducing the downtime of Doomfist's abilities should make his gameplay feel more fluid.

This is good, but he's never gonna feel like his old self until he gets his SS distance back. Even after all these months, even though I don't play him too often, he feels wrong with the shorter distance he has now. But since he relies on his abilities, this will be easier for players good with him to get into a good groove.

Lúcio
  • Sonic Amplifier
    • Soundwave now counts towards Offensive Assists
Developer Comments: The knockback on Lúcio's Soundwave is a great tool for pushing enemies into situations that get them killed, so they should be rewarded an offensive assist for doing so.

Well, Nepenthe will be happy.

McCree
  • Fan the Hammer
    • Damage reduced from 55 to 50
  • Deadeye
    • Damage per second increased from 275 to 550 after locking onto targets for 2.5 seconds
Developer Comments: After reducing armor's effectiveness for all heroes, Fan the Hammer doesn't need to deal quite as much damage. Increasing Deadeye's damage after being locked on for a bit makes it more effective when attacking high health, static targets (like barriers) and heroes with over 600 health. It will not impact how dangerous this is for heroes under 600 health.

So they're still looking to make McCree a tank killer. Cool enough. Fan the Hammer now does as much damage as Pulse Bomb instead of more. Happy now, Chance ?

Mei
  • Endothermic Blaster
    • Primary fire damage increased from 2.25 to 2.75 (45 to 55 damage per second)
  • Ice Wall
    • Health reduced from 500 to 400
Developer Comments: Increasing the damage of Mei's primary fire should make her Freeze and Icicle move combination more potent. Making the pillars on Mei's Ice Wall easier to destroy means less waiting for the wall to disappear on its own and more opportunities to counter it.

Hail Satan. I thinkthey need to make the walls 300 if they want to make breaking them a viable tactic, but I'm more surprised that they are thinking of the walls in this way now, after all this time. I was suggesting they should be more breakable back at the launch of the game, but I just assumed they were supposed to be all but unbreakable.

Moira
  • Biotic Grasp
    • Heal over time duration increased from 3 to 4 seconds
    • Total healing increased from 50 to 65
Developer Comments: These minor changes make Moira's passive healing effect on Biotic Grasp slightly more effective when topping off an ally's health.

I'm honestly not sure if Moira is in a bad place in terms of giving health. My understanding that her issue comes down to having no utility like other healers. I guess this helps, but I'm not ure what changes with it, other than slightly more healing.

Orisa
  • Fusion Driver
    • Movement speed penalty while firing reduced from 50% to 30%
Developer Comments: As a defensive tank, Orisa can have trouble pushing forward with the team. Allowing Orisa to move faster while firing should make it easier to apply pressure on the enemy team and use her barrier in proactive ways.

This is actually kinda big. Orisas that can chase you down around the corner can be kinda scary. I'm looking forward to a more mobile Orisa.

Soldier: 76
  • Pulse Rifle
    • Damage increased from 19 to 20
  • Sprint
    • Delay before you can fire the weapon after using Sprint reduced from .5 to .3 seconds
  • Tactical Visor
    • Can target RIP-Tire and Immortality Field
Developer Comments: This change should potentially allow Soldier: 76 to kill an enemy hero one shot sooner. Reducing the time between when you use Sprint and when you can fire should make the ability more fluid and responsive. Giving Tactical Visor the ability to target Junkrat's RIP-Tire and Baptiste's Immortality Field drone is a quality of life improvement, since these are both critical targets.

my beerdrunk soul is sadder than all the dead christmas trees of the world.

Torbjörn
  • Base health increased by 50 armor (250 maximum health)
  • Overload
    • Armor gain reduced from 150 to 100
Developer Comments: Torbjörn's survivability was a bit low, so we've shifted some power from his Overload ability to his base health.

Very good. I had my reservations about the Torb rework, but I actually like it. However, the problem remains that Torb kinda sucks, but it's no longer a mechanical problem and is more of a numbers one, and this is a good step toward fixing it. I'd even go one step beyond and not remove the 50 armor from his overload, just make it his tank form.

Widowmaker
  • Infra-Sight
    • Reveals enemy health bars
    • Now canceled on death
Developer Comments: Infra-Sight had no counter to its effect, so it now ends when Widowmaker dies. To balance out its higher risk of use, Infra-Sight now reveals enemy health bars to Widowmaker's team.

It's no ping system, but this will help a lot for team coordination.

Wrecking Ball
  • Adaptive Shield
    • No longer cancels Roll mode
Developer Comments: This will make Adaptive Shields a more powerful survival tool, since being forced out of Roll mode left Wrecking Ball more susceptible to fire.

tenor.gif

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Moira is a beast main healer but her lack of mobility is what kills her on certain map.

That and "Pros" don't like easy healbots. Mechanical skills blahblah.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Baptiste seems like a hero that will be more efficient if allies are gathered around in a group. He could cause the current meta (the GOATS comp) to remain strong. What kind of effect did you hope to see with this hero's addition?

Geoff: We ran many internal tests on it. We also thought a lot about how he might work in the GOATS comp, and it turned out Baptiste wasn't as strong as some thought he might be in that comp; when to use his ult, which is the biggest advantage of using Baptiste, seemed rather vague. In truth, Baptiste seemed better at countering the GOATS comp.

Really? I'm not sure how that plays out....

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That and "Pros" don't like easy healbots. Mechanical skills blahblah.
I'll cosign this as an annoying sentiment considering the variation of the launch cast. The point of the game is to have a range of skill sets and kits. If I wanted to play a more traditional FPS, I would literally just play Blops 3 forever. It feels better than the gunplay in Overwatch anyway.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Derogatory language and antagonizing other members
my beerdrunk soul is sadder than all the dead christmas trees of the world.

you:
Mod Edit: Inappropriate image removed.

Really? I'm not sure how that plays out....

His ult is literally useless for goats. Only Zen, Lucio, and Zarya's right click can benefit. Invincibility has less utility when you're in either a A) all-out close range brawl or B) trying to quickly move towards the enemy. Furthermore, invincibility is better used on squishy DPS heroes who can melt the enemies given just a few more seconds of damage output and survivability.

His main heal and ability heal are good for goats, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'll cosign this as an annoying sentiment considering the variation of the launch cast. The point of the game is to have a range of skill sets and kits. If I wanted to play a more traditional FPS, I would literally just play Blops 3 forever. It feels better than the gunplay in Overwatch anyway.

I know the feeling bro. My mechanical skills on controller is plat at best and I will prolly get fucked once I move to K&M but I do understand why they love Ana. I have close to 200 hours on Moira and there are times where I just feel sick of picking her. She can be so unfun after some time due to her being heal heal and more heal at higher elo. Compared to Ana's kit of sleep + nade which are super strong and how like Mercy work super well in dive maps I get why she is more valuable.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
His ult is literally useless for goats. Only Zen, Lucio, and Zarya's right click can benefit. Invincibility has less utility when you're in either a A) all-out close range brawl or B) trying to quickly move towards the enemy. Furthermore, invincibility is better used on squishy DPS heroes who can melt the enemies given just a few more seconds of damage output and survivability.

His main heal and ability heal are good for goats, though.

Baptiste replacing the healer that isn't Lucio/Brig in the GOATs lineup, the invul drone can be thrown across the fucking map, which would allow to help the frontliners to stall or negate ult combos like Grav + DVa bomb, I think. Baptiste can phase forward and back between frontline healing with his self heal and backlining with his grenades and primary fire. The ult may not be super useful, but for the purpose of safety and ult negation, his drone is about as good as Zen using Trans, and also has the upside of having much lower cooldown, and Baptiste having the mobility to get away should the opponent try to have a flanker or a DVa or Winston trying to get him in the backline, while a Zen would just melt or need to get peeled.
Unlike Zen, Baptiste doesn't need nearly as much babysitting while providing somewhat similar utility with the drone, but without needing to ult. The only downside is that Zen can help do more damage with his Discord, but on the other hand, with Baptiste healing alongside Lucio and Brigitte, you also have a LOT more survivability.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose the other thing of note to figure out will also be how fast you can take down the immortality field since it does seem l

Honestly, that is probably what I found to be the most hilarious about these recent patch notes.

We know that GOATs is the most hated thing by everyone whether if you're playing it or watching it. It also consists of six specific heroes: D.Va, Reinhardt, Zarya, Zenyatta, and Lúcio (And then it is a split between Moira and Brigitte too, but you get the idea).

And which characters did not see any balance changes at all? D.Va, Reinhardt, Zarya, Zenyatta, and Lúcio (And while Brigitte didn't see any changes either, Moira got a slight buff, but it isn't like that is going to make the comp even more OP than it currently is). It is almost like Blizzard is too afraid to touch any of these heroes for whatever reason since I guess they consider these six (or seven) to be "Balanced" well enough even though when they are played together in that specific comp, it can bring games down to a grinding halt.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I'm limited to 60 FPS in PTR, is this a known issue?

Baptiste replacing the healer that isn't Lucio/Brig in the GOATs lineup, the invul drone can be thrown across the fucking map, which would allow to help the frontliners to stall or negate ult combos like Grav + DVa bomb, I think. Baptiste can phase forward and back between frontline healing with his self heal and backlining with his grenades and primary fire. The ult may not be super useful, but for the purpose of safety and ult negation, his drone is about as good as Zen using Trans, and also has the upside of having much lower cooldown, and Baptiste having the mobility to get away should the opponent try to have a flanker or a DVa or Winston trying to get him in the backline, while a Zen would just melt or need to get peeled.
Unlike Zen, Baptiste doesn't need nearly as much babysitting while providing somewhat similar utility with the drone, but without needing to ult. The only downside is that Zen can help do more damage with his Discord, but on the other hand, with Baptiste healing alongside Lucio and Brigitte, you also have a LOT more survivability.
Yes, but all of this benefits a bunker comp more than goats, who can now survive a 3-3 rushdown and have the damage output to fight back.

Baptiste can both hurt and help goats.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
D.va recently got nerfed though and sometimes she get swapped with Sombra or even Ashe (Bob lol).

It's all about ults and how tanky everyone is with AOE healing/shields/armor. Finding a solution to this either means forcing 2-2-2 or nerfing ults to the ground.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
lmao. gold healing as ana with like 3 baptiste.

but tbh. just practicing my 'nade shots.

Last edited:

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Wrecking Ball
  • Adaptive Shield
    • No longer cancels Roll mode
Developer Comments: This will make Adaptive Shields a more powerful survival tool, since being forced out of Roll mode left Wrecking Ball more susceptible to fire.
YES. Now I don't have to worry about getting popped out of my ball when someone targets me in Deathmatch when all I want to do is roll around.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Messed around with Baptiste a little on the PTR, he seems fun and the immortality shield is not nearly as troublesome and one might think. I think he's gonna be an interesting character, I kinda like him but I think my go-to healer choice will probably still be Lucio or Brig. His kit takes a little getting used to and I really like the implementation of the Exo Boots.

Also, as a random side note, there's a special level of Hell that's dedicated to people who go onto the PTR and choose to play BASTION when a new character has just been released.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
when did they update mei's primary to look cool.

looking like some ghost buster style freeze gun

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
His damage boost with bastion/orisa is gonna be scary.

With Widow, he enables her to one shot Roadhog.

Disgusting filth.

Last edited:

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Well it's not like Symmetra's pick rate was already low or something right

Another update on Sym, if you start on Armor targets it could actually work out better.
Hi, hopefully I can clear some of the number stuff up.
Symmetra does 65/130/195 damage per second at each respective charge level against non-armored health pools.

Against the original armor calculation (-5 dmg per hit) this got a flat 25 DPS reduction and a 15 DPS reduction after the armor changes to -3 per hit.

So with this current PTR patch, at level 1 charge you gain +2 DPS versus armor, at level 3 you lose 24 DPS compared to before (now 156, previously 180).

This ends up being a difference of about .17 seconds in time to kill 200 armor health. We'll see if this ends up being significant or not and go from there. I will say there wasn't any specific intent to reduce Symmetra's power.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/symmetra-ptr-nerfs/309002/134

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Baptiste superjump is too good. virtually no cooldown, short ramp up, cancellable with no penalty, and the height it gets? I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it unless I'm missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.