• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that blizzard are doing less effort rather than core of the game is getting out dated pretty fast. I don't think anyone can do anything to fix it you guys keep saying blizzard are slacking off but I have never seen good suggestion to even revive the game. Its simple as that the CORE of the game is getting out dated its not them slacking.

I can't speak for everyone else, but the core of the game is still wonderful to me. The characters feel fun to play and when you can matched with a good team that does some coordinating or if you can pop off in a way that changes the outcome of the match, well, that's the dopamine that keeps me and many other players hooked.

There's the ranked problem, which is unsolvable to some extent, but could be helped with a role queue.

There are so many obvious, low effort quality of life changes they could make, but still don't. We could have had a ping system like Apex Legends has years ago to help coordinate teams, and if Blizzard are smart, they'll be making their AL-knock off ping system right the fuck now, but it could just as easily not be happening even though it would obviously help so much

The Endorsement system was a good place to start with removing toxicity, but is failed by the fact that it has no reward to it other than a few lootboxes every week. What they should have done was create legendaries for each character and attached it to level 5 accounts. You'd see a lot of people trying to be nicer if they put some kind of tangible reward at the end of the line.

Speaking of looboxes, they suck. You, as a player, have no way of actually working toward any cosmetic that you actually want. You just play enough times so you can pull the level and hope you get what you want. There's little agency and the game would be better to play if there was a way of saving coins to just get the thing you want.

And there's the lack of content in general. Recycled events, no story content, no scoreboard or replay system for how long, no changes to Ranked for season after season.

So the core gameplay of OW is fine, but you can only occasionally get those good games, and everything around OW is not that good.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Technically they're not putting any more or less effort into it than they did during its heyday -- we still get a new hero every four months, a new map every four months, new skins with the seasonal events, etc. The only thing we don't get anymore are new modes with the seasonal events. The problem is that games like Fortnite showed up doing more on a regular basis than Overwatch did, and Blizzard didn't adapt. They're also extremely slow to react to widespread complaints about balance, competitive modes, LFG/role queue, and others.

I think the other issue is that BR games like fortnite have much less in the actual game compared to overwatch. I mean, what is there really to balance in fortnite? Its all just weapons you pick up instead of unique characters that all play differently. Apex at least has difference characters with different abilities, but they still play mostly the same. Also, the BR games don't have a competitive mode, or even matchmaking that I'm aware of. With BR games, they can spend more time just adding new things instead of balancing existing stuff.

Even though I don't hate BR style games. I mean, I'm playing a lot of Apex right now. They usually don't hold my attention for as long as overwatch has, which I still find fun years later. It just has more variety of playstyles, game modes, and overall content.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hate the whole BR business comparison thing.
Overwatch works for what it is, and it's my most played FPS since Counterstrike 1.6 and Team Fortress 2.

I think the comment about people being burned out is the most valid one of all complaints.

Sharkarat

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It really doesn't help how slow they are on the story. Incuding some characters who haven't gotten anything since release like Lucio.
that's at least part of what makes it feels like the game isn't progressing.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Here is the truthfact on Overwatch and why it even got popular...

-people love the characters, really love them.
-The characters for the most are fun to play. Genji, Tracer etc there is something for every kind of player too.

But the actual game is deeply flawed at best. it's impossible to balance. It constantly punishes you for just having one selfish or bad player on your team so you will have a terrible time. It basically facilitates an environment where a single bad player can completely undermine the experience for others because individual performances are consistently undervalued. On top of that you can't even tell how well you're actually doing as there is no real useful feedback in form of stats so you just blame your team anyway. It just breeds toxicity.

Overall, I think the game is just a pile of garbage at this point but there is a real treasure here for Blizzard with IP and its characters, they just need to do something else with it. This game is just going to heavily decline from now on, there is no coming back. Make another game that is not as restrictive as OW, people love your characters, battle royale or whatever. It can even revitalize interest in the main game. Or make a sequel instead and this time design the game with it being a shooter with solo potential in mind instead of horrible objectives and moba garbage.

Even in pro play or in OWL, nobody get excited when a team plays goats super well and highly coordinated. It's boring AF but when a Tracer pops off the whole arena goes crazy.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely get burned out on it now. I'll play every now and again but for every high, it throws a shit ton of frustration at me. That's tiring and really grinds your will to play down.
Why deal with that when I can play something else from my backlog?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
The recycled events hurt me the most. I don't mind Blizzard stupid buff/nerf hammers but I just wish they put more effort in keeping the game fresh.

OWL does not interest me at all. I want to spend more time playing the game, not watching some pro Widow clicking heads.

Last edited:

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
So... this may be coming at an inopportune time in the conversation, but y'know those games that are so crazy but you're doin' so awesome that it's shocking to you and you're like "oh my God I am a bad-ass!" and just laughing with glee?

I had like 3 of those in the last 4 games it was super awesome.

20181128-111657.png

K back to it.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Here is the truthfact on Overwatch and why it even got popular...

-people love the characters, really love them.
-The characters for the most are fun to play. Genji, Tracer etc there is something for every kind of player too.

I agree with this, but the rest I can't go for. I understand that it's got problems (and I got complaints), but in addition to the seductive charm of a Buddhist-styled levatating robomonk who flings deadly prayer beads - literally the first thing that attracted me to the game - it's interesting and deep and fun and crucially anyone can check it out, and help their team.

Anyone you know who's ever played an FPS - not even a multiplayer one - can be handed Overwatch and told the basics of Mercy and contribute to a team's win. And they can practice and learn the game and have an awesome time.

Now again, Overwatch has problems. What lunatic thought Pulse really needed to be 300? These people are smoking the bad crack, clearly - but the game's charms are not just skin deep, and the type of value "accessibility" at the lowest-tier offers is at the very least fucking profound, if one's not prepared to go ahead and call it invaluable. That, in addition to its sweet-ass heroes and its pretty darn killer maps and the absolutely insane amount of depth and strategy and fine-grit knowledge at play as you get better and better makes Overwatch... well, gosh I'm gonna' say it - better than garbage.

when a Tracer pops off the whole arena goes crazy.

20181128-102729.png

They know what's up.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this, but the rest I can't go for. I understand that it's got problems (and I got complaints), but in addition to the seductive charm of a Buddhist-styled levatating robomonk who flings deadly prayer beads - literally the first thing that attracted me to the game - it's interesting and deep and fun and crucially anyone can check it out, and help their team.

Anyone you know who's ever played an FPS - not even a multiplayer one - can be handed Overwatch and told the basics of Mercy and contribute to a team's win. And they can practice and learn the game and have an awesome time.

Now again, Overwatch has problems. What lunatic thought Pulse really needed to be 300? These people are smoking the bad crack, clearly - but the game's charms are not just skin deep, and the type of value "accessibility" at the lowest-tier offers is at the very least fucking profound, if one's not prepared to go ahead and call it invaluable. That, in addition to its sweet-ass heroes and its pretty darn killer maps and the absolutely insane amount of depth and strategy and fine-grit knowledge at play as you get better and better makes Overwatch... well, gosh I'm gonna' say it - better than garbage.

To add to this, there's also that for all the complaints we all have about teammates and how the game doesn't incentivize teamplay enough (SERIOUSLY BLIZZARD, RESPAWN's PING SYSTEM, GIVE IT NOW), the times when everything c,icks and you DO play as a team is pretty magical. It feels great to be enabled by a friendly mercy healing and boosting you or saving your team with a shield at the right time and so on. It feels genuinely good when people thank each other for saving each other's asses in a heated match.

When it's played right, overwatch is still one of the best games around, perhaps one of the best ever. It's just so rarely that that kind of game happens on the ladder. Aside from wanting more content in general, OW needs to focus on creating structures to facilitate those kinds of games.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Had two really rewarding games in comp last night even though I lost both. Was the only person from our side in both matches to make the cards. Played as Brig and managed to get 5 medals in each game. Been practicing my positioning and how/when I engage and I've managed to really extend my longevity. Too bad the teams fell apart due to lack of tanks and a leaver. Felt like I carried what little team we had. Rewarding but also a bit frustrating.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why Brig is so despised? I don't get it. Maybe because I suck ass with her, but I just don't get it.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why Brig is so despised? I don't get it. Maybe because I suck ass with her, but I just don't get it.

she was overpowered for like all of her existence until just recently. Got nerfed every patch for like all of 2018 and her entire kit is about stopping others playing the game. She's also the easiest character to play in the entire game, it's just hitting very generous hit box, you don't need any aiming and the armor from ult used to last forever so you just used it as soon as you got, again least care needed among all of OW heroes. A character that easy, that unfun and far too overpowered is naturally going to be hated.

She's pretty bad right now. I haven't played in a while, not sure. She got nerfed enough I think but obviously people don't forget and will always hate her.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
I think the hate right now is because she is far from being the best healer pick in a non GOATS comp, so if you're picking Brig and not running GOATS people will moan there isn't enough healing. Which is false, and those people won't complain if you pick zenyatta although huis potential healing is way lower than brigs.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Brig is no where near bad right now. She still needs some re-tweaking actually, I think 250hp is too much for her.
Nah she's still a tank hybrid and that armor means the only thing that can one-shot her is a sniper.

If I could sneak up on a Brig and one-clip her with body shots on Tracer, that'd be fucked up.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Brig is no where near bad right now. She still needs some re-tweaking actually, I think 250hp is too much for her.

It's not too much when she has to be in melee range to recover her hp. This is such a silly complain.

I find it hilarious how easy I can kill a Brig just because I main her and know how to deal with her easily instead of constantly asking to nerf her. If you still can't kill a Brig after a whole year of nerfs, maybe you are the problem here.

And as a Brig main, I am no longer picking her for off heals like old times for one simple reason:

Every nerf didn't make me switch but the last one: her ult nerf. This what killed Brig for me. I cannot pick her with such a garbage ult.

Instead I'm playing Lucio because Blizzard wants me to exist for the team and annoy them with boops instead of stuns. Same CC, different shit.

So when do I pick Brig? The answer is:

Tight corridors (ie last parts of the map), goats or when they have more than one flanker. Especially in the case of Sombra. I hate Sombra and will never give her a chance to breathe with Brig.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

You're running down a corridor and turn a corner to find Brig in your face. You're a vocal forum-goer who mains dps. You panic as soldier and begin frantically holding down left mouse to kill Brig. She begins whipping you.
You see her health steadily rise from half hp as you miss more and more shots as you flail around hoping the dps gods will show you their favour.
You begin to realize the depths of your failure your teams failure and try to sprint away but you're already 2 swings from death and as she lands a swing and boop, you froth with rage at the impossibility of defeating such an OP hero as your dps main in a 1v1.

You praise and sing the gospel of nerfs on the Blizzard forum to thunderous up voting from the peanut gallery.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Every nerf didn't make me switch but the last one: her ult nerf. This what killed Brig for me. I cannot pick her with such a garbage ult.

Yeah, at this point, it's just a really shitty Lucio ult. Ironically, there was an easier fix for this than putting in a timer: Just make it so that her ult doesn't start charging again until half the armor that brig provided is depleted.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at this point, it's just a really shitty Lucio ult. Ironically, there was an easier fix for this than putting in a timer: Just make it so that her ult doesn't start charging again until half the armor that brig provided is depleted.

This would be hard to implement via the UI, though. Overwatch is a game that requires you to be aware of things like cooldowns at all times. If Brig gives armor to her five teammates, how does she know when "half the armor is depleted" and her ult has begun charging again, other than just staring at the ult meter until it starts increasing again? These things have to be more intuitive.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
other than just staring at the ult meter until it starts increasing again? These things have to be more intuitive.
I am genuinely uncomprehending as to why checking your ult meter wouldn't work. It's the most visible part of your UI. I think people pretty intuitively check it regardless of character.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am genuinely uncomprehending as to why checking your ult meter wouldn't work. It's the most visible part of your UI. I think people pretty intuitively check it regardless of character.

Intuitive controls and UI mean that things work consistently, the same way, across all characters. In Overwatch there are two types of ultimates: those that start charging as soon as the ultimate activates (obvious visual cue) and those that start charging after the ultimate has ended (obvious visual cue). Adding a third type of ultimate, one that starts charging halfway through, with no visual cue of any kind, that only applies to this one character, is counterintuitive game design. This is the sort of thing Blizzard has to think about when creating intuitive character designs and controls.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People still thinking her ult is fine. Lmao. I mean it's not as crazy as it was but its still a load of horse shit.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
I feel like we're all forgetting that "tank/healer hybrid" was far and away the most-requested hero concept basically since launch. Like it was constantly brought up every time a new hero was revealed, and she's a brawler with sick pythons and a cheerful attitude.

I'm a Tracer main - if anyone should hate her, it's me, but I think she adds something to the game, she fills a space nobody else did and she's produced probably the single biggest meta shift in Overwatch's history, making many many more comps viable and almost single-handedly brought Rein and Zarya back into the fold.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Her ult needs a re-work badly. I'm thinking something like Soldier heals just bigger radius or Orisa's fortify (less damage/no CC) or something.

But I bet they are saving that for a future support hero.

I feel like we're all forgetting that "tank/healer hybrid" was far and away the most-requested hero concept basically since launch. Like it was constantly brought up every time a new hero was revealed, and she's a brawler with sick pythons and a cheerful attitude.

I'm a Tracer main - if anyone should hate her, it's me, but I think she adds something to the game, she fills a space nobody else did and she's produced probably the single biggest meta shift in Overwatch's history, making many many more comps viable and almost single-handedly brought Rein and Zarya back into the fold.

Don't forget Ana too.

You Ana lovers are in a world of pain once your ass get dived again and again with no goats or armor to protect you.

I'm fine with current Brig. But her ult is utter garbage. I used to outheal healers like Mercy or Lucio easily. Now? Not so much.

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
our ana couldn't heal fast enough. so i had to take one for the team to switch from zen to moira before our team (mostly the zarya who couldn't last long enough)

stingsabit

Nov 4, 2017
why does my comp skillrating keeps getting lower for inactivity the past 7 days even though i played 2 days ago???

OP
OP
EssBeeVee

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Also what's up with people standing around to get healed Like I'm starting to heal but they just stand there? At least take cover when you're like 1hp. My orb can heals so much.

Also I have to finish these placements lol. By the time I'm done s14 will be over

Oct 27, 2017
why does my comp skillrating keeps getting lower for inactivity the past 7 days even though i played 2 days ago???

Each game you play adds 36 hours onto the timer before decay begins (up to a maximum of 7 days), so if you play fewer than 5 games a week, your timer will expire faster than you can fill it. I wouldn't worry about it too much though: it doesn't affect your internal matchmaking rank and once you start playing again you'll get bonus SR that will pretty quickly put you back to where you should be.

stingsabit

Nov 4, 2017
Each game you play adds 36 hours onto the timer before decay begins (up to a maximum of 7 days), so if you play fewer than 5 games a week, your timer will expire faster than you can fill it. I wouldn't worry about it too much though: it doesn't affect your internal matchmaking rank and once you start playing again you'll get bonus SR that will pretty quickly put you back to where you should be.
weird i never came across this before. thanks for explaining though. sucks because i don't have that much time to play anymore. fuck work.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that decay thing is... kinda poopy :(

I suppose it stops folks from getting to as high as they can and then sitting out the rest of the season, but still...

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My name is Blizzard game design and every new character we add to the game has to have a way to stop you from playing the game

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Eh, pulse bomb isnt that bad, the game just sucks at telling where it'll land o-x

Well, no, it's only a lackluster ult when compared to any other damage dealing ult in the game, and some cooldown skills like Fan the Hammer, a headshot from a Widowmaker or, say, a Mercy's rez.

If it needs to stay at 300 the charge requirement should be reduced by 25%.

So sayeth the Tracer main.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Well, no, it's only a lackluster ult when compared to any other damage dealing ult in the game, and some cooldown skills like Fan the Hammer, a headshot from a Widowmaker or, say, a Mercy's rez.

If it needs to stay at 300 the charge requirement should be reduced by 25%.

So sayeth the Tracer main.
Tracer deserves to stay locked in the limbo of madness she created for being op for so long and thing about what she's done to the sanity of everyone. She brought us brigitte, after all

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tracer has never been "OP" at any point in the game's history. A character having a high usage rate does not mean they are overpowered, it means they fulfill an important niche that no other character can do as effectively. D.Va is another example. If you can easily shoot and kill a character, they're not "overpowered." The solution to high usage rate characters is to either add more characters with similar niches, or buff similar characters (if they exist) so they can compete more effectively.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Tracer's damage nerf isn't as much of a problem as her damage radius nerf is. Doing 300 damage still deletes most characters and the only ones that it doesn't are tanks, which I don't mind having to do more work to kill anyway. However, because they never buffed her damage radius when they nerfed her damage, that means the kill zone for her pulse bomb is much smaller, so while it's not as hard to get a kill, it's much harder to get multikills.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Tracer's damage nerf isn't as much of a problem as her damage radius nerf is. Doing 300 damage still deletes most characters and the only ones that it doesn't are tanks, which I don't mind having to do more work to kill anyway. However, because they never buffed her damage radius when they nerfed her damage, that means the kill zone for her pulse bomb is much smaller, so while it's not as hard to get a kill, it's much harder to get multikills.

This guy gets it.

Edit: though I'd say it's still just as hard to get a (stick) perfectly executed kill, and much harder if it's just tossed into a group in a hallway who can just walk out of its radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.