• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Triple DPS legit comp, don't you know? They sometimes win matches as triple DPS which proves it can work, so it's not their fault when it doesn't.

That was the response I got from someone in a 3 stack who did that when I messaged them. I wasn't even being toxic, I just wanted to know. In their mind it was literally my fault for not solo healing them good enough.

I mean, to be fair I did give them a chance, because I know it can work, but they also played poorly. Avoided one of them for an easy win against them the next game. Which sadly was my only win of the night, lol.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never escape bronze. Leavers. Spinners. Smurfers. I can't get a clean game and when I do... we all goin' DPS bros! GG! Started in silver, too XD

I know I have a lot to learn but 9 times out of 10 I feel like the only person making an effort.

Gotta stop playing competitive.

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, to be fair I did give them a chance, because I know it can work, but they also played poorly. Avoided one of them for an easy win against them the next game. Which sadly was my only win of the night, lol.
I mean, sure, anything can sometimes work; the question is whether it can work consistently. The meta in OW is pretty rigid, and if a stack is trying anything off the wall like that and it doesn't instantly work, it's 100% on them for not switching to a standard comp.
I will never escape bronze. Leavers. Spinners. Smurfers. I can't get a clean game and when I do... we all goin' DPS bros! GG! Started in silver, too XD

I know I have a lot to learn but 9 times out of 10 I feel like the only person making an effort.

FWIW, I started playing properly again about 3 seasons ago after quitting in S2. I was in mid silver, but managed to solo queue back up to mid gold by one tricking Moira. I found most people playing DPS in silver had terrible aim, so could win 1v1 engagements just by throwing a damage orb and then doing your life steal to sustain yourself. Throw a healing orb if you're low on health. The life steal is 30hp/s, and the healing orb can do 75hp/s which means you can sustain yourself at 105hp/s if things get spicy. That usually more than enough for most engagements in silver, but if the enemy teams up against you you're screwed. That generally doesn't happen until you hit gold though.

Also, other top tips for silver: be aware of the objective, because most likely nobody else in the match is. If you're on defence and the enemy team has decided they want to play team death match instead of focusing on the objective, don't drag them there. Also, if you're on attack and on the objective, don't engage enemies unless you have to. I had one amazing match in silver where during attack on Eichenwalde, both teams decided to ignore the objective and just play deathmatch. I was able to solo push the payload all the way from just past the first set of doors, all the way under the bridge and to the next point without anyone from either team so much as saying hello.

So yea, that's what I did. One trick Moira; focus on damage not healing; only healing beam your team when it's safe for you; use healing orb selfishly for yourself; bounce your orbs off the floor / walls to control / heal areas. I was able to solo carry as Moira doing that, so it might work out for you!

Last edited:

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i remember jeff saying something like meta doesn't really matter in platinum a few weeks ago

and it's so true. i think i've ran goats in plat like 1 in 20 games, its pretty rare. anything can work at that rank, i've won games with 4 dps and 2 support before. i've won with 5v6 with a disconnected teammate several times (so satisfying).

i remember i won a game with 5 dps + 1 lucio before. not even kidding, we are laughing in voice chat about it because it was one of those games where people picked at the last second so that ended up being our comp, and we just stayed with it because it worked.

i remember a pro player said healing is like drugs, the more heals you get the more you ask for. the best players can play with slow heals by adjusting their style of play, then something about lucio + zen used to be meta, which is really crappy heals but it worked.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Slowly climbing my way out of gold, sitting around 2360SR. I'm hoping I can hit 2500 before the season runs out (highest I've ever been is 2400ish I believe). I've got a solid group of people and can finally play enough heroes to flex when I need to. The only one I'm having any serious trouble with right now is Hammond, at least in Comp. I just get melted by Hanzo + Ashe really regularly.

My usual approach is to hit pile driver around 3 enemies, get the shield boost, and try to do some damage before rolling out, but if there's a Hanzo I usually never make it out. Though to be fair I'm usually not getting a boost from people (zayra shield, zen orb, Ana grenade, etc). Is there a good pairing to make him more viable, or do is the idea more to just pile drive, do a TINY bit of damage, and then roll out?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slowly climbing my way out of gold, sitting around 2360SR. I'm hoping I can hit 2500 before the season runs out (highest I've ever been is 2400ish I believe). I've got a solid group of people and can finally play enough heroes to flex when I need to. The only one I'm having any serious trouble with right now is Hammond, at least in Comp. I just get melted by Hanzo + Ashe really regularly.

My usual approach is to hit pile driver around 3 enemies, get the shield boost, and try to do some damage before rolling out, but if there's a Hanzo I usually never make it out. Though to be fair I'm usually not getting a boost from people (zayra shield, zen orb, Ana grenade, etc). Is there a good pairing to make him more viable, or do is the idea more to just pile drive, do a TINY bit of damage, and then roll out?

Pile drive to knock people about and backing away so your team can push/get picks works. Dropping into an enemy team alone and staying there to try shoot should be suicide against a competent team (but it does work against far too many teams even in Plat).

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Pile drive to knock people about and backing away so your team can push/get picks works. Dropping into an enemy team alone and staying there to try shoot should be suicide against a competent team (but it does work against far too many teams even in Plat).

This is kind of what I figured, I need to get used to leaving sooner, and communicating with my teammates better to offer some offensive support when I dive. I'm REALLY enjoying him, just struggling against competent players (Hanzo) who dish out crazy damage in a short time.

I'm also not sure what the best approach to use his ULT is. Like, in front of the payload seems bad, since the payload will likely just destroy them, right? So is it just kind of like an area of denial to keep movement under control, or should I be like driving and then dropping the mines before rolling out?

I should watch some strats 😅

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of what I figured, I need to get used to leaving sooner, and communicating with my teammates better to offer some offensive support when I dive. I'm REALLY enjoying him, just struggling against competent players (Hanzo) who dish out crazy damage in a short time.

I'm also not sure what the best approach to use his ULT is. Like, in front of the payload seems bad, since the payload will likely just destroy them, right? So is it just kind of like an area of denial to keep movement under control, or should I be like driving and then dropping the mines before rolling out?

I should watch some strats 😅

Drop Ult right behind/on enemy as your team pushes, enemy will back up into them for lols. Also dropping where can roll-knock enemies works, but it really position on map specific. I personally don't use him on payload maps but that just my preference.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Drop Ult right behind/on enemy as your team pushes, enemy will back up into them for lols. Also dropping where can roll-knock enemies works, but it really position on map specific. I personally don't use him on payload maps but that just my preference.

That makes sense, most of the matches I'd played him in were QP KOTH, and only one was payload (Eichenwald). Did really well on that map though, that last stretch through the castle (down the ramp, that S curve) was perfect for Hammond since you can ramp off the stairs, pile drive, armor up and have an easy path to escape & snag some heals or a health pack. Also explains why I was so helpless in Junkertown (too open, getting murdered by ranged enemies).

I'll keep practicing him and see if I can get to a point where I'm comfortable bringing him into Comp. Would be fun to finally play a tank instead of Support or DPS.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018

If bad team comps are hurting your SR rank, I'd recommend using "Looking for Group" feature, and select a group with specified roles. The game will limit your character choices (tank, heal, dps) to the specific role you chose when joining the group, so you're guaranteed to have a 2-2-2 team composition.

I always have a much better experience/win-rate with LFG than when I solo-queue, plus I encounter fewer throwers and/or leavers during the match.

BTW: What is "spinner", I never heard that term before?

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If bad team comps are hurting your SR rank, I'd recommend using "Looking for Group" feature, and select a group with specified roles. The game will limit your character choices (tank, heal, dps) to the specific role you chose when joining the group, so you're guaranteed to have a 2-2-2 team composition.

I always have a much better experience/win-rate with LFG than when I solo-queue, plus I encounter fewer throwers and/or leavers during the match.

BTW: What is "spinner", I never heard that term before?
They sit in the spawn room spinning so they don't get kicked for inactivity :/

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird to say that I actually like his Sanzang skin better?

But yeah, I'm still waiting for Orisa and D.Va here, mang, don't let me down bliz

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
not into any of these skins tbh
Torb's is ok I guess

Brig's looks lke another half-step legendary built onto her default skin

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
New year new ptr and yet no new karaoke performers added. I'll say it again...

YgKn9DS.jpg

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I don't remember being disappointed with new content like i am for this Lunar event. Everything they showed so far is just... whatever.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Was ready to say this event had Christmas 2017 beat as the worst event for new skins but Zen, Tracer, Orisa and Brig saved it.

So we got 1 legendary and 2 epics left?

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I am pretty sure that we don't have anything else left.

Legendary: Tracer
Epic: Brigitte, Orisa.

There might be one more Epic.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I am pretty sure that we don't have anything else left.

Legendary: Tracer
Epic: Brigitte, Orisa.

There might be one more Epic.
Legendary: Reaper, Hanzo, Reinhardt, Torbjorn, Zenyatta, Tracer, Orisa (?)
Epic: Orisa (?), Brig,

I'm not sure if Orisa is a legendary or epic. If she is, this means we get 7 legendaries, if not then we would probably have the typical 6 legendaries and 3 epics.

I also forgot that Torb got a skin when I made my original post.... Oops.

Nov 14, 2017
Kittens McMittens thanks for the Moira strats - it's odd because I was pretty much maining her until fairly recently :D

Also I need those Orisa and Brig skins :O
Np. My basic strat for getting out of low rank was to pick a hero who could self heal, because nobody else was going to heal me effectively, and not bother tanking because nobody in low rank knows how to play around a tank anyway. I had some success with Soldier and Mei too, both because of their self heal, but Moira really did it for me. Just don't worry about healing your team; just focus on solo carrying. I had something like a 2/3 win rate all the way out of silver with her.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Np. My basic strat for getting out of low rank was to pick a hero who could self heal, because nobody else was going to heal me effectively, and not bother tanking because nobody in low rank knows how to play around a tank anyway. I had some success with Soldier and Mei too, both because of their self heal, but Moira really did it for me. Just don't worry about healing your team; just focus on solo carrying. I had something like a 2/3 win rate all the way out of silver with her.

I play a lot of Moira and I've found that not healing your team much doesn't work too well farther into gold. Though I still go for kills, but its more of on if I see anyone that's already at half health. Other than that I just pump healing into my tanks and dps that are near and usually out heal any of the incoming damage.

Nov 14, 2017
I play a lot of Moira and I've found that not healing your team much doesn't work too well farther into gold. Though I still go for kills, but its more of on if I see anyone that's already at half health. Other than that I just pump healing into my tanks and dps that are near and usually out heal any of the incoming damage.
Yea, when you hit gold you find people have some kind of game sense and you have to play as a healer. It's actually pretty amazing how stratified the player base is in ranked. I only managed to get from gold to plat by playing with a friend, and actually being support at the plat / diamond border is pretty stressful - the enemy DPS usually knows they have to kill you first, so you really have to rely on your tanks.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Love that Orissa skin. Gonna be a toss up between Zen and Reaper. I don't play Reaper much but that skin is fantastic.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yea, when you hit gold you find people have some kind of game sense and you have to play as a healer. It's actually pretty amazing how stratified the player base is in ranked. I only managed to get from gold to plat by playing with a friend, and actually being support at the plat / diamond border is pretty stressful - the enemy DPS usually knows they have to kill you first, so you really have to rely on your tanks.

As a support I think the hardest part for me is the randomness of teammates and whether they'll help protect you or just leave you to die.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
How did y'all not see the news from Korea last night?
Yeah, I think someone might have posted that a little bit ago. can't remember who tho

Good to have a new tracer skin and happy with the Orisa skin (even though I think this is better, but fan art often is). I just wish D.Va would get a mythological figure skin.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
I'd really love to be as hyped for these 3 Kingdoms skins as everyone else. ...just not enough to read the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.